The Landfill of the Heapers' Hangout (contains Fossilmaiden's Punnery)

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

have you tried turning it off and on again

I tried that and now I can't boot back into Windows?? It seems to have replaced my operating system with OS X
  • I suggest getting an exorcism and/or setting it on fire
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Alice Gets Bored And Derps On Sheets.
  • edited 2016-07-04 02:11:09
    In Symphogear, the prologue of the first episode and the ending theme suggest that the story will end tragically. The story doesn't usually adopt this tone in the bulk of it but does return to suggesting it at least a few times.

The story ends happily, and as a result this ending betrays the emotional tone that was suggested by these other factors.

Not the other way around. The ending theme did not betray anything.
  • Things I apparently care more about:
    * characterization
    * emotional progression and thematic consistency

Things I apparently care less about:
    * animation quality
    * plot consistency
  • In the case of YuYuYu, the characters actually felt like people, and the symbolism felt coherent and meaningful.

In the case of MadoMagi, the characters felt like plot devices, and the symbolism felt forced and ham-handed.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i felt Madoka had emotional progression and thematic consistency

and i didn't think there was anything ham-handed about it, although i'd agree that the whole thing has a constructed, artificial quality (which i don't think is necessarily bad)

animation quality is one of those things i sort of take for granted but miss it when it's conspicuously absent, whereupon the characters can seem wooden and hard to interpret
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Puella Magi Matilda Magica
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    i find animation quality to be completely subjective tbh
    though for me I guess what it refers to isn't necessarily fluidity so much as other, subtler traits that tend to be overlooked
    such as?

i'd agree it's subjective, though i guess i usually perceive the 12 basic principles as important
    facial expressions as a biggie, can't put my finger on anything else right now
    oh, facial expressions are important to me as well

although i'd say that's as much about the art as about the animation

might be partly why i've tended to gravitate towards American cartoons?  the expressions are stylized and easy to read.  in anime the facial animation is minimal and the eyes carry most of the expression (outside face faults which are jarring), it's harder for me to interpret
  • edited 2016-07-04 04:01:45
    i watch anime but i actually don't like face faults
    they have their place, i feel, but they often feel a bit bland and lazy
  • if the usual supposition anime fans make of asterisk war is correct -- that the characters are merely bags of tropes -- then i seem to be defiantly imagining them to be actual people and filling in the gaps between those tropes myself
  • at least that's how it's gone so far for half an episode
  • glenn

you can watch whatever you want, but the weird holier-than-thou tone you take about these kind of things is a bit strange
  • defiantly isn't the right word since it's not something i consciously do
  • i wonder if this is related to my disliking thinking of real life people as bags of stereotypes
  • Jane said:

glenn

you can watch whatever you want, but the weird holier-than-thou tone you take about these kind of things is a bit strange
    that's why these posts are in the landfill
  • people see them and pass judgement
  • because they're dumb, malformed thoughts
  • if i clean them up they could become an interesting set of ideas, but i have not cleaned them up yet
    I'm always of two minds as concerns the "filling the blanks for myself" thought.
  • Crystal said:

I'm always of two minds as concerns the "filling the blanks for myself" thought.

i've wondered many times why i do

it just comes automatically to me; i don't even choose to do it -- if anything I have to forcefully try to see something as problematic, and the, it feels awkward

i wonder whether it's because i'm a musician, but then again other people who play far more improvisation-prone music don't think like this either
    I...

Struggle to think of the last time I wondered about why I am of two minds, rather than the internal logic itself, actually. Now that I think about it. I think it's similarly automatic, though whichever direction I lean differs depending on a functionally imperceptible amount of variables. Which I similarly disregard considering in the broader sense(s?).
  • edited 2016-07-04 08:25:00
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    • Birdemic: Shock and Terror is The Birds meets Manos: The Hands of Fate.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I am actually surprised X Meets Y doesn't have that one.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I've also seen Birdemic compared to The Room, but...the first movie makes the second look like a multiple Oscar winner. Tommy Wiseau may be a weirdo, but he at least has some idea of how to shoot a scene. James Nguyen is about as competent as Harold P. Warren.
  • honestly the quality/state of stuff i dump here is basically "i had this vaguely interesting thought while in the shower, so i wanna jot it down", combined with some "this amused me at the moment" and "i feel frustrated at something"
    my posts ITT are just dumb phrases that popped into my head basically

i'd like to think that when i'm replying to other people's posts is an exception, you can be the judge of that, but please keep your appraisal to yourself
  • edited 2016-07-05 15:23:02
    ITT Technical Institute

Tannin Sinstitute

Tachyonic Institution

Technologic Investiture
  • how to 2001 a space odyssey?

verb not recognized "2001"
  • support nonlocal businesses by shopping quantum
    Habsburg Hangout.
  • Crystal said:

Habsburg Hangout.

Hapsburgs
  • edited 2016-07-06 16:56:46
    Secular Byzantine Republic, the diametric opposite of the Holy Roman Empire
  • The Holy Roamin' Empire, which really gets around
  • The Holy Roamin' Empire, which really gets around

IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN

...actually i don't
  • i'm amused that "if you know what i mean" has itself become a joke
  • Obama Dunsparce negativity promotion adjucating semblances crossing the hematomic casing.
  • Meanwhile, Gibraltar voted overwhelmingly to Remain.
  • That's nothing!  I went to voltronforce.com using my parents' AOL account!
  • "Gang of Eight" is one letter away from "Gang of Fight"

YNTNT

the second N is there because the K of "know" is silent
  • the resulting acronym is highly explosive though
  • lolololololololol i mentioned tnt and something related to u.s. national politics in the same post lolololololol #terrorism
  • Voted Most Likely To Transform Into A Tugboat
  • Voted Most Likely To Transform Into A Tugboat

lol penchinon