I'm sorry everyone, but Code Geass is the best High-Quality Anime Drama.

124»

Comments

• kill living beings
    the only show on the air with the ambition of a true golden age anime is perfect hair forever
  • Animes I have not seen: MadoMagi, Attack of the Titans (except for half an episode), Haruhi (except for YTPs), Utena (except for half an episode), RahXephon (except for half an episode), Cardcaptor Sakura (except for one episode), Lupin III, Fullmetal Alchemist (except for maybe an episode of Brotherhood), Steins;Gate, Gintama, Fate/Stay Night, Princess Mononoke, Trigun, Hellsing, Gundam (except one ep of 00), Nadesico, Samurai Champloo, and many more

Changes since I made this post in August 2013: I have now watched MadoMagi (~fall 2014) and Haruhi (both seasons, ~winter 2014-2015).

Kara no Kyoukai you mean?  I have no idea why I would call it Rakkyo.

I call PMMM MadoMagi because Madoka is also the main character from Lagrange.

WHICH IS A GOOD SHOW DAMNIT NAAS STOP HATING ON IT AND USING AN AVATAR FROM IT ON IJBM though i guess i use a mai-hime avatar here

Incidentally Naas now uses glasses!Saber avatar from some Fate/ thing, while I'm the one using a Lagrange avatar here (Lan specifically).  Though instead, despite my criticisms of MadoMagi, now I'm using a MadoMagi avatar on IJBM.
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-03-01 23:28:21

I am not sure if I would consider it a "golden age" or whatever, but the last couple of years have seen a few SoL shows that I would rank pretty highly as far as that genre goes. Non Non Biyori and Kiniro Mosaic are both getting second seasons too, which for me is a pleasant surprise; I had gotten increasingly used to Hidamari Sketch being basically the only SoL (K-On!! is the main exception I guess) which would get more than one season.

Outside of that moe garbage I cannot really comment. FMA Brotherhood, Digimon Xros Wars, and Inazuma Eleven Go are more or less the newest action series I have seen and the first two of those are not even all that new. I do not know. I guess I tend to wary of talking about the "golden age" of anything for the reasons to which glennmagusharvey alluded (i.e., it tends to be too hard to judge that kind of thing in the moment).
  • The "Golden Age" of anything should not be declared until at least half a century after said anything has happened and finished happening.

MC Breed was the greatest rapper of all time.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I am not sure if I would consider it a "golden age" or whatever, but the last couple of years have seen a few SoL shows that I would rank pretty highly as far as that genre goes. Non Non Biyori and Kiniro Mosaic are both getting second seasons too, which for me is a pleasant surprise; I had gotten increasingly used to Hidamari Sketch being basically the only SoL (K-On!! is the main exception I guess) which would get more than one season.

Outside of that moe garbage I cannot really comment. FMA Brotherhood, Digimon Xros Wars, and Inazuma Eleven Go are more or less the newest action series I have seen and the first two of those are not even all that new. I do not know. I guess I tend to wary of talking about the "golden age" of anything for the reasons to which glennmagusharvey alluded (i.e., it tends to be too hard to judge that kind of thing in the moment).
    https://twitter.com/adamkotsko/status/572030081998045184

Works every time

who is Adam Kotsko

He is a professor at Shimer College who is known for his books on the relationship between theology, philosophy, and popular culture. He also blogs, and has a twitter in which he is very sarcastic.

Also he is very up his own ass about television. Otherwise a smart guy though.
  • the only good things on TV are cartoons and Modern Marvels.

what do I win
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I wonder if people who blab about the Golden Age even know what they're talking about half the time. For one thing, most of the shows people remember from the 1950s (what most people my age think when you say "Golden Age"...definitions, dude) are comedies, since those were more likely to have been shot on film or kinescoped. Most of the great live dramas of the era are long lost, since no one thought to keep them.

Second, it's not like there weren't good dramas on TV after, say, The Alfred Hitchcock Hour went off the air. If you're feeling snobby enough, you can always go read the lists of Peabody Award winners. 
  • i get my good tv dramas from anime lol
    Of course, someone in his mentions links to George F. Will being an assface about high-speed rail and I'm like "RAAARGH"
    At Will, not him; he seems to be cool aside from the Golden Age thing.
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    LoGH is the best HQAD
    This is where the Golden Age of Anime goes to die — the graveyard of that era is found in Parasyte, Cross Ange, Terror in Resonance… It’s as though a generation of writers and animators watched the true greats of anime's heroic era and could only imagine outdoing them by redoubling their cruelty and nihilism. We may not have liked Lelouch Lamperouge or Light Yagami, but there was something fascinating about them, and their stories told us something about deep anxieties of the Japanese imagination. We may have been chastened by the despair of Guilty Crown, but that despair at least gave it a unique perspective on our political situation. The political scheming of Legends of Galactic Heroes involved its fair share of violence and betrayal, but its setting provided a plausible reason for it all while allowing us to view the show as a thought-experiment in the originary violence of founding a society.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    twin peaks
  • > anime as an inherently japanese medium
  • those non-japanese animes like code lyoko
  • naney said:

those non-japanese animes like code lyoko

you forgot Avatar
  • no code lyoko is the real wastern anime

dont believie the lides
    Panurge said:

This is where the Golden Age of Anime goes to die — the graveyard of that era is found in Parasyte, Cross Ange, Terror in Resonance… It’s as though a generation of writers and animators watched the true greats of anime's heroic era and could only imagine outdoing them by redoubling their cruelty and nihilism. We may not have liked Lelouch Lamperouge or Light Yagami, but there was something fascinating about them, and their stories told us something about deep anxieties of the Japanese imagination. We may have been chastened by the despair of Guilty Crown, but that despair at least gave it a unique perspective on our political situation. The political scheming of Legends of Galactic Heroes involved its fair share of violence and betrayal, but its setting provided a plausible reason for it all while allowing us to view the show as a thought-experiment in the originary violence of founding a society.

also it's kind of odd talking about cruelty in anime without mentioning at least one that urobuchi worked on, even if his reputation in that department is imho a bit exaggerated

also i think guilty crown is closer to the ones from this/last season you mentioned than any of the others
  • so i recently learned that egoist didn't actually do the music for guilty crown, other than the OP/ED?

or something like that

or maybe i'm mistaken
  • just you wait i will make this thread into a code lyoko thread

so i recently learned that egoist didn't actually do the music for guilty crown, other than the OP/ED?

or something like that

or maybe i'm mistaken

looks like the music is hiroyuki sawano
    also " A light novel was published by Nitroplus titled Guilty Crown: Princess of Deadpool in April 2012."
    naney said:

just you wait i will make this thread into a code lyoko thread

Ulrich
  • spoiler alert ive never actually seen code lyoko

except for one episode that i dont remember really
    I have seen many episodes.
  • is it any good?
    It's pretty all right.
  • mostly i remember the opening theme
  • naney said:

just you wait i will make this thread into a code lyoko thread

Code Lyoko is live action .w.

(The other Jane)
    Code Lyoko is actually pretty bad.
    But as for HQAD:

LoGH
    NGE's Second Half
    Death Note
    SEL
    GitS
  • edited 2015-03-08 23:59:57

i almost bought the complete SEL dvd box set like 15 minutes ago
  • naney said:

dude you should have done it

it's the only boxset I own of any anime and I am very happy with my purchase
  • its been sitting there for at least 7 months

i'll pick it up once i have purchaced other things i need to buy

like headphones and the haibane renmei box set and the alien 9 complete dvd and lesbears on dvd and lesbear plushies and lesbear tote bags
  • is alien 9 any good?

i saw the first ep of it and i've been meaning to finish it due to its being just really short but i haven't ever felt like getting around to it.
  • is alien 9 any good?

Yes!!!!

At least i remember it being very good, it was my first ever anime series alongside Witch Hunter Robin, i got it out at the library at an age where i should probably not have been watching such things...

but i have not gotten to see it in ages so i could be wrong, though either way it had a big effect on my aesthetic preferences generally speaking

(The other Jane)

naney said:

dude you should have done it

it's the only boxset I own of any anime and I am very happy with my purchase
    same

Though there are some who would still embrace the rhetoric of the “Golden Age of Anime” for marketing purposes, we all know that that storied era is over. If there was any question about it, the conclusion of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders — part of the undisputedly canonical Big Three that also includes Code Geass and Neon Genesis Evangelion — dispels any ambiguity. While we might dispute whether a particular show belonged to the classic “high-quality cable drama” genre as established by Neon Genesis Evangelion, no currently running show belongs in that category.

And you know what? That’s okay. The final season of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders  reminds us how exhausting the “high-quality anime drama” can be — how much pressure there is to watch, to have an opinion, to be up to date on the online dialogue. You probably felt many things when that Dio fight came to an end, but the emotion you should have been feeling is captured in a timeless Daniel J D'arby line: “GOOD.” Freed from the burden of High Art Anime, we can finally get back to enjoying Good Enough Anime— a genre that is truly entering into its own golden age.

It was High Art Anime that made the blossoming of Good Enough Anime possible. First, there were the aesthetic innovations — the greater artistic ambition on the level of the visual experience (more creative shots, lighting, experimental dream and hallucination sequences, etc.), the greater range of acceptable subject matter (including but not limited to supposedly “edgy” themes), the focus on very specific geographical regions (Area 11, Egypt) or milieux (The fashion-conscious eighties) as opposed to the generic “small town or Tokyo” format of most previous anime. All of those experiments have born their fruit in the Good Enough Anime of today, and the result is more visually interesting television that has more room to explore. Second, there are the commercial innovations, above all the explosion in competition to produce original dramatic content among anime studios. Even Madhouse may never be able to recapture the cachet Madhouse enjoyed, but it has given birth to a number of “middle-brow” anime studios (Trigger) as well as more mass-produced content (David Productions).

Against all odds, some of these benefits have even accrued to the traditional anime. For me, Hunter X Hunter  is the ultimate Good Enough show — attractive people in an attractive setting, with a plot that (with rare missteps, like Greed Island) keeps moving you along and sometimes even manages to trick you into thinking that you’re pondering an actual idea. There’s a reason we all marathoned the whole thing when it was first released on Crunchyroll, and that’s because it gives us all the beautifully packaged #pureideology we crave from anime at its best.

• That's a lot of words when the thread title was already 10000% truth.

Remember the time they disguised eight million people as Zero to get them out of the country because Zero was exiled, so therefore wearing his clothes meant you were exiled too...? Anyway, sheer genius.
    I need more Quality Anime Opinions
    Calica said:

I need more Quality Anime Opinions

It kinda peaked with this https://itself.wordpress.com/2015/07/15/the-golden-age-of-good-enough-tv/#comment-54993