I'm sorry everyone, but Code Geass is the best High-Quality Anime Drama.

Comments

• edited 2013-08-13 23:55:52

I was gonna say that most likely his wife bought him that suit, but seeing as it is a rather nice suit there is no way this incompetent dingus would have picked it.

but then i realised that no woman would ever go out with him under any circumstances, so it is obviously his poor old mom who bought him his duds.

God bless that woman, she must have the patience of a saint.

As such, i am petitioning the fictional 1950s-60s vatican to have her canonized.
  • edited 2013-08-14 00:01:08
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Maybe that was in in the 60s.

Maybe dudes who buttoned their top button and left the bottom one unbuttoned where the fuckfaces, and I bet people who went all out and button all TWO buttons where NERDS.
  • edited 2013-08-14 00:02:43

Also, I've caught the odd episode of Mad Men here and there and it's pretty entertaining, but the fact that this is a real debate held between tv watching adults is just silly.

*goes back to posting long, ponderous posts about MLP:FiM*
  • The whole "bottom button left unbuttoned" ball was set rolling by Edward VII, so it would have applied in the 60's as well.

IN FACT suit coats are almost always designed so that they drape properly with the bottom button undone and buttoning the bottom one will throw it off, plus it emphasizes bulk around your middle.

SO DON'T DO IT

OR I WILL PRETEND TO BE OUTRAGED AT YOU OVER THE INTERBUTTS

if you want a nice little guide on how to button up here is a good article that covers most button arrangements you can find nowadays. (*yeah i know that the site URL looks kinda MRA-ish and maybe they are i have not looked at anything else on there so IDK, but that article is very nice and it covers most of the stuff i have said already*)
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Maybe there's a subplot where he's secretly fighting the even more secret 60s fashion police, a plot I haven't picked up on because of all the clever and subtle nuances of the show.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

I was gonna say that most likely his wife bought him that suit, but seeing as it is a rather nice suit there is no way this incompetent dingus would have picked it.

I remember his wife was my favorite character in the one season I watched.

Apparently she gets turned into a cartoonish villain later though.
  • Apparently she gets turned into a cartoonish villain

Friday commented that his wife started as a rather nice, if perhaps naive character who slowly turns bitter because of how the main dude there doesn't exactly treat her nicely and then turns evil because of...reasons that may or may not have to do with poor writing...
  • edited 2013-08-14 00:30:51
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I have heard some very good things about Mad Men from people that I trust, and what little I have seen of it was quite well-acted and interesting. Which obviously does not preclude it from having obnoxious fans who think that acting and dressing like a (cheap knockoff of a) '60s ad man is somehow the Platonic ideal of manliness.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I used to watch Code Lyoko a lot. :) Death Note was great when I saw it. :D I never saw Code Geass though. :o
  • LWLW
    edited 2013-08-14 12:50:11

What is up with all this Code Geass, Death Note, and Cowboy Bebop talk? I thought most people in the know agreed that Twin Peaks was the best High-Quality Anime Drama of all time.

Did any one else notice that Odradek, though clearly acting in jest, managed to pick animes that made sense here? 

I even felt comparing Death Note to Atlas Shrugged wasn't too far off.

So, erm...

• edited 2013-09-24 20:35:37
    My dreams exceed my real life
    As a rule, I think it’s ridiculous to judge someone for liking or disliking an artwork. But I have to be a hypocrite here: If, after watching "End of Evangelion” you still consider yourself a fan of Neon Genesis Evangelion, I’m judging you. Not quietly. Loudly. I’m in your face with a megaphone, yelling “WHAT IS YOUR DEAL? CAN’T YOU SEE HOW AWFUL THIS IS?” You may be thinking, “Why are you yelling into a megaphone? Isn’t that redundant?” But you love a show that, for the better part of 26 episodes and one movie, has used dream sequences and robot moms to call your attention to things you’re currently looking at with your eyes. So you’ll forgive me for thinking redundancy is your thing, won’t you?
  • really tho Code Lyoko is the only anime worth talking about

I wouldn't say End of Eva is "bad", but it's certainly a little too intelligent for it's own good. 

It's like a guy at a party who knows a lot about subjects that everyone finds interesting, but he's trying too hard to establish that not only is he knowledgeable, that he's the smartest guy in the room.

So yeah, it's kind of off-putting.

But I still consider the End of Eva more "Episode 25" and 25 and 26 the true ending, so the series as a whole still leaves a warm feeling in my tummy.

I wouldn't say End of Eva is "bad", but it's certainly a little too intelligent for it's own good. 

It's like a guy at a party who knows a lot about subjects that everyone finds interesting, but he's trying too hard to establish that not only is he knowledgeable, that he's the smartest guy in the room.

So yeah, it's kind of off-putting.

But I still consider the End of Eva more "Episode 25" and 25 and 26 the true ending, so the series as a whole still leaves a warm feeling in my tummy.
    http://www.avclub.com/articles/remember-the-monsters,102659/?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=feeds&utm_source=channel_tv
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I think that guy is missing his own point there, as well as misunderstanding the entire point of that particular narrative. I can understand the desire to dismiss the self-righteous fans of the show who act as if it be the be-all end-all of philosophical exegesis in animation—they be trippin', yo—butanyone who still likes the show at all? Come on. Dude. Really.
  • > But I still consider the End of Eva more "Episode 25" and 25 and 26 the true ending, so the series as a whole still leaves a warm feeling in my tummy.

I am with you on this.

> If, after watching "End of Evangelion” you still consider yourself a fan of Neon Genesis Evangelion, I’m judging you.

how do i judged someone intentionally like that
    I seem to have once again created a plausible nerd statement by copypasting someone talking about

QUALITY TV!!!!!

and changing some words to fit.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i haven't seen much Evangelion.  Didn't feel like it was my thing.

Haven't seen Dexter, i think my brother watches it tho.

i quite liked Death Note, but nothing i've heard about Code Geass suggests i'd enjoy it as much

nobody asked for my opinions but NOBODY MADE YOU READ THEM
  • Which Dexter, the lab guy or the murder guy?

Which Dexter, the lab guy or the murder guy?

Murder guy.
    oh i've seen Dexter's Laboratory, loved that show

i only watch cartoons and nerd shit
  • edited 2013-09-24 20:53:22
    "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Lyoko looks like a Grey with a wig.
  • edited 2013-09-24 20:54:40
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    who

DONT NINJA EDIT ME SO IT LOOKS LIKE I HAVE ZERO READING COMPREHENSION

I'M ON TO YOU DARCY
    That one Code LYOKO character. What ugly designs, and not in an interesting way. Like, there's Kemonozume-ugly, and then there's that.
    I liked Code Lyoko as a young sprat.
    I KNOW YOUR GAME

I'M NOT GOING TO STAND FOR THIS, NO SIR
  • Odradek said:

I liked Code Lyoko as a young sprat.

same.

It got weird in later seasons though.

also there was a Code Lyoko forum I used to browse and there was this creepy dude named Honeyscrew who was basically stalking the site owner, that was scarring.
  • edited 2013-09-24 20:59:16
    I used to like Code Lyoko a lot. Dunno how I'd feel about it now, but I like to think it's still better than most of what was on Cartoon Network at the time.

I want to watch Evangelion but I don't want the commitment that comes with knowing I'll have to defend it.
    wait was there an English translation of Code Lyoko?

i thought it was a French show watched only by French kids and Canadians
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Speaking of anime with ugly designs, did anyone else watch Alexander Senki, AKA CN's Reign: The Conqueror? It's the story of Alexander the Great, if Alexander and half the people in his life looked like drug-abusing models.
  • Tachyon said:

wait was there an English translation of Code Lyoko?

Yup. It added high pitched voices and a theme song I found obnoxious even when I was eight.

I sometimes fear that this is the only place that sees it like that, though. These writers and cast seem pretty confident of their success, and they never mention issues with haters.  There are places in the web where Evangelionis worshipped, and they're not all fansites.

It's like if Heapers Hangout was the mall from Dawn of the Dead, and it's zombies everywhere outside.

• Or maybe, if you're a cynic, we're all just different kinds of zombies.

Or if you're me, we think everyone else is zombies but if we'd move the trucks out of the way we'd realize there were, in fact, no zombies.
  • I loved Code Geass but everyone there looked uglier than the character models in Oblivion.
  • edited 2013-09-25 13:27:22

Clamp is fond of noddle people.
  • edited 2013-09-25 21:11:49
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Odradek said:

I sometimes fear that this is the only place that sees it like that, though. These writers and cast seem pretty confident of their success, and they never mention issues with haters.  There are places in the web where Evangelionis worshipped, and they're not all fansites.

It's like if Heapers Hangout was the mall from Dawn of the Dead, and it's zombies everywhere outside.

I don't know how facetious you are being, but there are a lot of people who loathe Neon Genesis Evangelion while still respecting it as an artistic statement, a few people who just plain despise it, and plenty of people who just don't care for it, don't care about it, don't mind it, or simply prefer other shows while not being especially strident either way.
  • If Odradek posts something in a font that isn't the default, he didn't say it, he copypasted it from somewhere.
    I know, but because he edited our forum name in, I decided to respond directly to the statement.
    i thought the joke is that it sounds like the kind of thing an angry nerd would say?

nerd rage doesn't have to be accurate
    The joke is applying things people say about

QUALITY TV!!!!!

and applying it to anime
    was it still about Dexter?

or something else
    i tried googling but got zero results
    Tachyon said:

was it still about Dexter?

Yes.

Peeps gettin' mad about serial killer soap operas.
    This is getting dangerously close to making a big deal about other people making a big deal out of something dumb, which is in and of itself making a big deal about something dumb.

This is getting dangerously close to making a big deal about other people making a big deal out of something dumb, which is in and of itself making a big deal about something dumb.

Recursive.