Sredni Vashtar Reads Homestuck

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    But only now am I getting to [S] Jade: Enter. I confused it with [S] Jade: Wake up. Which was, as noted, trippy as hell.

I am ready.

Let's do this thing.
    So, the demon that destroyed their session was... the other Jack Noir, with Becquerel's powers.

I think that I should have seen that one coming.
  • So, the demon that destroyed their session was... the other Jack Noir, with Becquerel's powers.

I think that I should have seen that one coming.

A-yep.

I didn't see it coming in the first read through either. Actually, I don't think I've met anyone who picked up on that in the first read through.
    I mean, beyond having seen Noir's final form elsewhere, I could have guessed that Bec would end up being prototyped, be it by Jade's choice or by his/its own. What I did not predict was that particular detail. Which I think that I should have thought of.

More neat little bits of bow-tying: Becquerel is, functionally speaking, the Green Sun, i.e. the First Guardian of Earth. And on top of that, Vriska made sure that the sequence of events would occur in the first place by having John fall asleep. Admittedly, I am not sure if her intention was to simply close the loop or something related to her dealings with Doc Scratch, but...
    So, wait...

Then they can only hope to salvage this mess if the exiled White Queen (or one of the other exiles, or somebody) puts on the ring, yes?
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Oh I confuse Wake up with Enter as well. I like Wake up because it has the squiddles cartoon. :)
  • And on top of that, Vriska made sure that the sequence of events would occur in the first place by having John fall asleep. Admittedly, I am not sure if her intention was to simply close the loop or something related to her dealings with Doc Scratch, but...

A little of column A, a little of column B.
  • So, wait...

Then they can only hope to salvage this mess if the exiled White Queen (or one of the other exiles, or somebody) puts on the ring, yes?
    Not quite. I'd say more, but spoilers. (Plus, I could use a re-read to refresh my mind on the finer details).
    ^^^ Yes, it is fun.

I kind of like the detail that the Horrorterrors are basically benevolent(-ish) despite being horrific and terrifying.

^^ I assumed as much.

^ Yeah, I was about to go back and say, "But wouldn't that require time travel? Oh dear." But clearly something must happen with that ring.
    Vriska continues to reveal herself to be more and more batshit insane than I had previously thought. Not stupid-insane, simply... Vriska-insane. It's quite entertaining.
  • ^ Yeah, I was about to go back and say, "But wouldn't that require time travel? Oh dear." But clearly something must happen with that ring.

You'll see. Oh, you'll see :D (Have I mentioned I love making incredibly cryptic references to future events in order to build up hype for said future events so I get to watch the reactions when the those future events actually happen and enjoying the feeling of knowing what's going to happen while the person I'm reading/watching it with doesn't and very mildly lording it over them? Because I do so love that feeling.)

Though I will say you're warmer than you might think with that statement in some aspects and colder in other aspects.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Bec's not the Green Sun. 
    ^ But it seems that he/it does have the same genetic code, which gives him/it the same basic powers and intense alienness. Or at least that is what I have gathered.

^^ I get the feeling that it has to do with the Peregrine Mendicant. Also possibly Jade and Becsprite, because time travel. But I am shooting in the dark there.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    You are right; Bec's a First Guardian, as is Doc.

But they're not the Green Sun.
    Hmmm.

OK. That makes sense. But then what of the Green Sun itself?
    You'll find out.
    I thought as much.

Also, something is hunting Horrorterrors. That is... disturbing on a nearly incomprehensible level, really.
    Oh, that's what the Green Sun is. I am a fool-person. That should have been clearer to me.
  • edited 2013-07-17 04:47:01
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    So, Doc Scratch wants to die because he has finally managed to summon Lord English and thus fulfil his purpose, and Rose needs to use The Tumour to nuke the Green Sun to stop Jack Noir from wrecking everything which will also help him do that. So he is assisting her.

Hmmm.
    You're very close, but still a little off the mark.
    How so?
    Well, English isn't "here" yet (even if he is). 

But yeah, you're right about Rose.
  • edited 2013-07-17 06:49:53
    I meant, that he brought his master into a position where he/it could do... whatever it is that he/it does. That he has paved the way for Lord English's arrival into this particular neck of Paradox Space.

Seriously, what the fuck is Lord English that even Doc Scratch is a bug comparatively? I mean, yes, wearing a coat made out of the fabric of the space-time continuum indicates that you are, for all intents and purposes, a reality-breaking god-thing, but what exactly does that mean? I assume that he is what is killing the Horrorterrors, at least. What is the implication here, other than scary?

Also, when I do find out, will the cue ball motif start to make a bit more sense (symmetry and gags aside) the way that the card suit and chess imagery did?
    Did you get to the intermission yet? The Pool metaphors start making sense then.
    CONKSUCK BOOT.

Thank you, Dave.
    Yes, ammo is a girl's best friend.
  • edited 2013-07-18 03:20:03
    Eridan is officially the single most desperate/sexually frustrated character in this entire comic. Even Equius' weird submissive tendencies can't compete with him in the "projecting awkwardly" department.

But by the same token, his ostentatiousness and total romantic failure are endearingly absurd.
  • edited 2013-07-18 04:40:19
    So, a brief aside inspired by the whole business with Jade talking to her grandson: We know that Nanna is more or less John's mother, but then wouldn't that make John's "dad" his half brother? If so, who was his father? What is his name? I get the feeling that this might be is important.
    On the one hand, the whole Jadesprite situation is pretty awesome.

On the other hand, I am pretty certain that Gamzee just murdered some people. Quite probably people that I like.

I am conflicted.
  • edited 2013-07-18 06:49:25
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Dad Egbert is his biological half-brother, yes. But for all intents and purposes, he is his father. Parenthood's more of a social than a biological affair, anyway.

Also, let me put it this way. You got four Paradox Clones, created by copying genetic material from their older selves. These four Paradox Clones are Bro [BR], Mom [MO], Nanna [NA], and Grampa [GP]. 

Then by mixing the genetic clones of these Paradox Clones, you get bred-clones. John Egbert and Jade Harley are mixes between Grampa and Nanna, which can be expressed as [GA] and [NP]. In turn, Dave Strider and Rose Lalonde are mixes of Bro and Mom, [MR]/[BO] respectively.

This will be even more pronounced later.
  • Wait, how is Dad his half brother? I don't remember seeing his cloning.
  • edited 2013-07-18 07:03:40
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    No, no. Nanna met a guy, had a kid, and that became Dad. Dad was born the old-fashioned way.
    "Dad is, like Colonel Sassacre, one of the few persons in the entire comic who may have come to the world out of someone's groin."
    ^^^ I already knew/recognised all of that. I was simply wondering if the elder Mr. Egbert's parentage would, in fact, be relevant in some way later on.

^^ What Kraken said. Which is what I was wondering about in the first place.
    I'm not sure, though. Just because it hasn't been relevant lately doesn't mean it won't be later.
    Hmmm. This is true.
  • edited 2013-07-18 09:01:22
    Oh God.

Eridan and Gamzee have both gone homicidally insane and taken out a large chunk of the cast. I mean, Vriska killing Tavros was bad enough, but seriously, what the—

Just—

Yee... duu... gaah.

OK, Terezi's detective thing is at least kind of lightening the mood and making things less dire. Let's see what she does next.
  • Oh, you hit murderstuck. Good, you're just about halfway there in terms of time.

Yeah, I have some criticism about murderstuck, but I think I'll save them for now.
  • edited 2013-07-18 10:07:42
    And then suddenly Vriska turns out to be not quite the sociopathic loon that she previously appeared. I actually feel really sorry for her, in an odd way. Not so much as... well, the increasing number of dead characters, obviously—I miss Nepeta and Kanaya already—but more than I ever thought that I would. She's similar to Karkat in the area of trying desperately to be a worse person than she actually is because she thinks that she should be.
    It's weird but fitting that the conversations between the dead peeps are the chief source of levity in this part of the story. I love how Tavros' "sick fires" are now completely literal.
    Welp, Kanaya's not dead, so that's some good news, at least.

I'm getting a serious "history repeats itself" vibe here vis à vis Mindfang's diary. Meeting the originals (as I suspect that we shall soon) is going to be quite intriguing indeed.
  • For a given value of soon, and for a given value of originals, and for a given value of meeting.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Are you past "[S] 3X SHOWDOWN COMBO" yet?
  • edited 2013-07-18 11:28:25
    I am aware of the fact that the whole paradox clone thing makes who is the predecessor and who is the descendent a murky pool of inscrutable wackiness. I am also well aware that "soon" can mean many things here. As for "meeting," I meant as a reader.

Really, I know this sounds pretty crabby and all—I am very tired—but can't I say one thing here without being semi-corrected in a nebulous fashion by someone else that has already read this thing? I'm fine with commentary and feedback, but I don't need to be treated like I'm a fool...

^ Yes. Hence why I am referencing the business with Kanaya not being dead.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Sredni: OK, good. Because I was going to say I hear "Battle Without Honor or Humanity" in my head every time I think of that particular scene now. :D
  • edited 2013-07-18 11:32:19
    ^^ And I'm sorry about being nippy. I just want to take things in as they go.

^ Yip.
    FUCK YEAH, KANAYA!

*lifetime supply of high-fives*
    Doc Scratch is legitimately creepy. Very funny, yes, but the fact that he is amusing only underlines how weird he is. Not run of the mill Homestuck weird, just discomfortingly alien.
  • Hussie's felicity with portraying realistic yet decidedly non-human personalities is probably my favorite aspect of homestuck.

there are other character(s) that you will see later that will illustrate this even better imo
    I most certainly look forward to it.