Paradox 4X Thread [Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 4, etc.]

Comments

• "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    CK to Europa Universalis to Victoria to Hearts of Iron, where Werner von Braun goes into space?
  • oh wait

no, it's a meme (Poland can into space) indicating a particular nation's largeness in the game.

• edited 2013-07-25 23:58:18
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Ah I get it, sort of how some nations or people you play as it's mostly about intrigue and slowing building and maintaining a Duchy or some such over a number of centuries and with other nations it's sort of a race to see if you can conquer the entire game map before the clock runs out? 
  • well it is not inherent to a given nation, under the control of a skilled player, any nation can into space. Even Wales.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Gilan can into space.
  • can The Karen Satrapy into space?

Maybe!

• edited 2013-08-04 01:32:05

Continued my game. Couple rounds of declaring war on everyone.

Not much to report after that save one of my wifes poisoned another wife, so I had her killed.

My character currently has three black wives as they where the best for establishing an alliance, and he's still having kids, too.

He's definitely expanded the Empire much further than his brother in my alternative game. Next up is more war on the Byzantines. Their Empire looks pretty thrashed and it's quite common for little rebellions to start up. This often is BAD for them, as I can then swoop in and pick off the smaller, rebelling nations.
  • edited 2013-08-05 04:15:45

So this, is what a war on everyone looks like:

You wanna go, punk?

Those wars went well, the Byzantiens don't put up the fight the used to. Heck, that might have been the war where they basically just rolled over and let me siege them into submission. Not sure if they where busy with something else, or what...

Anyhow, a bit later something interesting happened. My Caliph decided "Sicily? That should TOTALLY belong to the Muslims." Needing to lower my decadence score something fierce I happily joined the Jihad.

I'm guessing about half the Catholics where out sick that year... 

Eat a dick, Pisa!

Things where quiet for about a year, I think I spent most of it gathering all my vassals for a round of stealing land from children, then the Pope decided the Catholics should have Sicily back.

Most of the Catholics (and also the Byzantines for some reason...) on the board gathered and sent troops. Trouble was, I was able to organize large navies and armies relatively easily while troops from around the globe trickled in at about 10,000 a time. Something the A.I. hasn't figured out is boats. 

I mean, it understand you can use them to put troops on and ferry those troops to a certain location, but it seems to assume that's enough. It doesn't really have down that you can quickly move troops around coastal locations at a fraction of the speed of land, effectively letting you kick ass, put the troops on some ships, move the ship, then kick someone else's ass.

Another effective strategy is to leave a siege country with a small amount of troops on land and a ton of troops on boats, wait for your enemy to attack what it thinks is an easy victory, then drop a ton of troops on them.

Given that Sicily is like...100% coastal countries, them getting beat into submission was sort of inevitable. 

Obnoxiously, Tartari decided it wanted some of IT'S land back and declared war. Unfortunately for them, the Catholics where almost done having lining up for their free ass-hangings, leaving me with a whole bunch of armies in size from 10,000 to 20,000 strong  and lots of boats floating around waiting to take those armies to Tartaria. 

Tartaria having it's shit together more than the Catholics was not enough for them to get there land back and avoid being massacred by pre-packed armies. However, it was enough to make the war last long enough that Bayezid the wise died of old age.   

Dat ruler score!

He MORE than made up for his dad dying earlier + his brother in an earlier game.

Still, I went back and checked who Sonmez had left his kingdom to, it it turned out he's heir was a glutenous hedonist...

I killed a few family members for old time sake, but Bayezid's heir had much more land, much better stats, and now, much more potential targets.

He also had brothers with much better stats, especially diplomacy which seems to be a family trait. I was given enough titles that I could keep the best brother happy without giving up a Sultanate.

Leaving me with Grand Vizier Lando Calrissian

I've actually played with him quite a bit, but I'll get delve into his story in a later post. 
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

So, Crusader Kings II is on sale for $10. And all the important DLC, except for the Old Gods pack, because Zersk is meant to suffer for some reason.

If only I had a computer that could run it.

• After finally getting all of my DLC back (what a process that was) I've started my first new game in awhile. Beginning as the ua Briain dynasty in Ireland again, because why not

if anyone's as into this game as I am and also has about $50 of disposable income (unlike me), both Europa Universalis IV and the CK2 -> EU4 save converter were released today. I highly recommend both of them.

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Dammit mojo you got me playing this again

Starting as a Duke in Poland, somehow already got myself roped into a war in order to institute some princess as the heir to Poland

wheeeee
  • I have just successfully modified a game for the first time in my life and I feel super accomplished for no good reason.

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Definitely need to do an update on my game, later. 

I have screen shots and everything.

The quickish version is I'm on to the son of the Bayezid II above. I had to manage the pretenders while already dealing with smaller outbreaks of relatives who where mad because after they joined a faction to limit my power or declare independence,  I tried to imprison them, and for some reason they though the imminent death that follows when I do this was enough to rebel.

Jerks.

Anyhow, one of my brothers...or half-brothers more likely. Didn't have any male heirs, and I was the next in line to inherit his territories. He died tragically from a mysterious knife wound to the chest.

The failed assassination attempt that was revealed to be financed by me total coincidence...

Anyhow, all his land made placating my other brother temporarily a breeze.

He would later get mad again and consider rebelling, but was less mindful that I could throw him in prison, take most his titles, and have him killed.

So, the initial war with all my relatives who don't like me, all of them hasn't been too intolerable this game.

Also of note is one of the reasons I took an extended break is the Holy Roman Empire declared war on me last time I was playing and I didn't feel like dealing with that right away (I also still had both brothers after my blood, I didn't think to assassinate the one until days later of considering that situation). 

I loaded my last save, (weeks in the past) and oddly enough, they didn't this time. Possibly because I went back into my save with a bit more fervor, got a couple more wars going, and raised all my levies. I'm sure even a couple weeks of me moving troops into large armies to crush rebelling family members is a pretty good deterrent.  They currently seem to be at war with the Fatimid. 

Definitly a better start with this guy than last time I was playing as him
  • edited 2013-09-01 16:57:07

So, since I'll won't be playing as his decendants, I guess I should share my favorite Sonmez moment:

Good times.

So, rewinding a bit.

Bayezid I did many things before his death, but one thing his missed was getting his decadence score down.

His son, Bayezid II, in a bid to get a lid on his decadence basically threw all his relatives he didn't like in prison to redistribute their lands to the ones he did like.

Of course, it's never a guarantee you're going to successfully impression anyone in this game so...

Allah damnit...

This made things tedious, but not necessary dangerous. At worse any one of his relatives had a duchy or two, so he was able to pick them off one-by-one.

Eventually, it was time to war with the Catholics.

All of them.

Bayezid II never concurred much territory, but the Pope now lives under Sunni rule, so there's that.

Also, his half-brother that I dubbed Lando, of course, ended up betraying me in true Empire Strikes Back fashion, and starting a faction . I, in turn, imprisoned and executed him in true Crusader Kings 2 fashion. It seems it's pretty impossible to keep your powerful brothers from thinking they should rule at some point or another. 

Anyhow, as mentioned I moved on to Bayezid's son who has managed to transition ruler-ship with a much smaller mass rebellion thus far.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Harold Godwinson was not cowering in fear, but was combing Mercia for
    any able bodied men and boy to make good the losses of Stamford Bridge.
    As the Normans had gained an all too false since of security, the
    English king let them believe it until January of 1067. Proclaiming the
    past year’s comet to have been an ancient sign of inevitable Saxon
    triumph (later tied by Vilhem af Mamelsbury to the prophecy of, all
    people, Merlin), Harold struck south with a vengeance. The English
    retook Winchester, besieged Pevensey castle, and then took to the
    defensive waiting for William’s response. The Duke, of course, broke
    quarters and rushed south to relieve his men and save his base of
    operations. On 23 January, he met the Saxons in battle at Hastings.
    Thirteen charges and relentless volleys of arrows wreaked havoc but the
    English shield wall would not break. As the afternoon began to wane,
    William lead an all-out final assault backed up by his hired Occitan and
    Italian heavy infantry. At the crest of the hill, the Bastard found
    himself face to with Harold and his huscarls. One of the burly Saxons,
    according to legend, hewed the Duke’s horse in half, leaving William
    stranded in the melee as the assault again faltered on the shieldwall.
    Harold leapt at his wounded rival and only took a few minutes to
    dispatch him (perhaps wishing he had been able to do the same to
    Hardrada). What had been a waver now became a Norman rout as soon as
    William’s death was made known. A flag of truce was flown and
    negotiations began the next day; peace was made with the Norman army
    leaving under arms only having to return the money looted from
    Winchester.

Where there had been three, there were now only two men boldly fighting
    for control of this island. What an England under Norman rule would have
    looked like is hard to say, although from other instances of Norman
    conquest such as southern Italy, there would have been no doubt a
    harsher subjugation of the native Saxon and British races and a
    wholesale program of Frankish cultural imperialism, in comparison to the
    later actions of Hardrada. While such is interesting to speculate on,
    that is not the focus of this work. Our focus shall now return to the
    North and the main campaigning season of the year 1067.

Wait, you can make this happen?  You can fix history and make the good guys win at Hastings?

WHY DO I NOT HAVE A COMPUTER CAPABLE OF RUNNING THIS GAME?

• If by good guys you mean the Mali Empire, then yes, yes you can.
  • edited 2013-09-03 14:46:51

MOOONGOOOOL HOOOOOOOOOOOOOORDES!

I actually probably have the resources to take out these f*ckers. I just wish I could predict when they're coming to make sure I'm prepared and say, not trying to invade more of Italy (given that the Holy Roman Empire is about the only one who can put up a fight).

That being said, the nice thing about being able to freely imprison family members who have land is that I can keep a perpetual easy to manage civil war going and keep my levies raised.

Bring your 130K armies that suffer no attrition, fuckers.

I will BREAK you.
  • When the Timurids show up you're basically fucked.

Isn't that the Golden Horde?

Don't they basically set their sites on Europe, and sweep through Russia?
  • No, the Timurids are the Muslim ones who show up in Persia near the end of the game.

Ah, I'm trying to get details on if they're any worse than what I'm fighting now, the internet is sadly mum on that.

They'll definitely need to step up their game a bit over the Ilkhanate. The main issue here is GETTING my troops over to that side of the map and making sure I don't loose them all to attrition by having too many on the same country at the same time. 

Also hoping the Holy Roman Empire cools it's jets for a bit. Since they actually can field large enough armies to be obnoxious if I'm looking in the complete opposite direction.
  • il-Khanate is the weakest and they get progressively worse from there.

The Golden Horde has about 1.5x their amount of troops and I think the Timurids have like three times.

Interesting.

Apparently, the factions are also prone to infighting. Though it looks like they need enough territory to keep them busy.

If the next set looks hopelessly powerful (much like the decadence rebellions), then it might be a better idea to let them win a couple wars, wait for the infighting to begin, and then move in and clean house.
  • The Timurids don't infight.

Nor, really, do any of the mongol hordes. Something about their programming makes them have large-scale civil wars way less often than any other AI-controlled nation.

I've read on forums that internal revolts are usually what halts their progress, but it looks like you're correct in that it doesn't happen as often, as say...Tataria.

Apparently, assassinating the Khan can sometimes trigger the infighting. Though, from my limited experience, I'm thinking this should not be "step 1" in dealing with them.
  • I've had games where I've assassinated multiple successive Khans and it's not really done anything.

There are definitely civil wars, but the Golden Horde and especially the Timurids just have so many troops that it doesn't really matter.
  • They never seem to be inclined to go after the Holy Roman Empire, though. I've actually seen them go after France more often.

I suppose I could continue expanding west and let them get to a point where they're having the trouble that I was with getting their troops around that space.

Kiva and the immediate nations around it aren't exactly super useful. 

It's a shame the ocean is so damn far away, otherwise I could assemble and crush their armies as they spread out rather easily. 
  • yo yo yo

so what do peeps think about Sons of Abraham's announcement? The new Papal Control mechanic seems sweet.
  • From the Old Gods start, the Capets have ended up ruling France.

Interesting historical parallel, though I was involved in it to some extent so I can't say that it's totally random.
  • so hey, the new Sons of Abraham expansion just came out. It's $9 until the 25th.

And now we have Jews and people can shut up.

so hey, the new Sons of Abraham expansion just came out. It's $9 until the 25th.

Meanwhile, in the UK, it's $11.58.
  • I'd say it's worth it, it's really engaging.

I'm currently playing an Ironman game as the Duke of Tuscany in the Old Gods start, trying to make my brother Giovanni the Pope.
  • well this is interesting:

Irony: the Pope who presided over this trial was named Formosus (which is for some reason a name that Popes in CK2 can have).
    (which is for some reason a name that Popes in CK2 can have).
    Because it was an actual Papal name, one assumes. Granted, Popes in CK2 don't generally have their corpses put on trial, but still.

• That's true but it was only used once (for that reason and also because what kind of a name is Formosus)

it's just one of a couple I wish wasn't in there (like John-Paul, which I think was actually edited out in a patch).
    Whatever did John Paul do to you? (Aside from being anachronistic.)
  • I mean, aside from that, nothing, but that's kind of an issue isn't it?
  • edited 2013-11-18 16:00:58
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    In a game where you spend most your time murdering, imprisoning, and taking over almost anything that moves, not really. I mean, Irish France isn't going to win many prizes for historical accuracy either.
  • wow the Khazaria start is fucking brutal.
  • Sons of Abraham confirmed for greatest CK2 DLC

to spoil it

Spoiler:
    someone uncovered an absolutely massive, 70+ trigger event chain that can cause witches to come to your court and, among other things, make one of your children a demon.

• Spoilered because it is a large photo.

Spoiler:

I am finally finally finally done with my Great Albion CK2 game. So done in fact, that I hand-labelled the map screenshot. I think that what I did was pretty cool, hopefully you guys do too.

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Italian Africa is historically accurate! That's just not where it was.

also this LP is entertaining.

Somalia, Eritrea and Ethiopia.

Also, Greece (under Alexander) did control most of the Middle East at one point, which is why you can still find Greek-featured Buddha statues in parts of Iran and Pakistan.
  • I have no idea what the context of that quote is so I must've said it forever ago.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Last page...?