Paradox 4X Thread [Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 4, etc.]

Comments

• Playing Pagan first isn't a terrific idea (though I forget offhand if the Welsh petty kings in the 800s start date are Norse or Catholic) since you're stuck with gavelkind until you either reform the religion or convert.

Reforming is easiest with Tengri, relatedly. Since if you start as Cumania you can just Mongol Horde the shit out of everyone else until you control all the holy sites.

It's weird. In all the time I've been playing Ireland, I've never had an English Invasion. Few Norse ones, though.

yeah something about their AI maybe just seems to make them averse to Ireland. I've actually seen the Holy Roman Empire go after Ireland far more often.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I'm starting in 1066, and my king is Catholic. It's the petty kingdom of Gwynedd, to be specific.
  • I see.

Not sure what to tell you! Have him murderized maybe if you're Intrigue stat is decent or you can woo enough peeps into the plot.

Also to clear up a common point of confusion, "Petty King" is not a king-level title. It's a duke-level title. You can distinguish the different levels by the borders around the character portraits (mayors/barons, which are unplayable, are bronze, counts are plain silver, dukes are silver with blue trim, kings are gold, and emperors are gold with a purple trim).

in unrelated news: "May Allah destroy your house" is a really good insult and no one will ever convince me otherwise.

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Huh. Apparently, your children's stats and traits are randomized, because I accidentally closed out without saving and had to start a new game. My heir is significantly better this go-round.
  • They're randomized to an extent. So are portraits even to some extent (I only know this because I know for a fact that the Duke of Flanders in the earliest start date, one Boudiwijn I, can have two different portraits, one with a fuzzy beard and another with a tweedly mustache).
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    And then, much later, I have succesfully JFK assassinated my brother in law in an attempt to remove a faction

hot damn this game is interesting
  • edited 2013-06-22 22:08:35
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    My game is going rather boringly.

Lessons learned so far: It's difficult to conquer new territory when you don't have a cassus belli against anyone, and only a 17% of fabricating one.
    Ooooh, and I performed my first baby smothering!

Huzzah!
  • edited 2013-06-22 22:20:24
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I am also the most doting father.

"Daddy I wanna get married!"
    "Okay sweetie, I'll find someone nice for you." (opens the marriage window and finds a husband with halfway decent stats, preferably from Wales)
    (repeats process with 5 out of 8 kids and one niece)

COMPETENCE
  • Wales is a really hard starting location. In fact, one of the later Welsh starts (a king named, I believe, Llelwyn The Last) is a contender for hardest in the game.
  • edited 2013-06-22 23:14:40
    So, my ally who broke off from Scotland just declared war on the King of Scotland and asked me to help out, so I did. However, Scotland outnumbers us like holy balls. My army number is currently in the double digits yet is still able to besiege territory successfully.
    Hmmm, my first Heir has the trait Quick, which gives him +3 to all stats

I approve
    Update on wars: This was a terrible idea. I'm save scumming and you can't tell me otherwise.
    So far I've only lost in one war against the holy roman empire because some Hungarian jerk wanted me to help him out

they had troops up the wazoo and the fighting was so far away from me

I'm the Byzantine Empire, capital city Constantinople, for the record
  • You don't actually have to involve yourself with wars that you are called into. There's no penalty for being involved in a war in-name and not actually doing anything in said war. Furthermore, enemy troops won't target your provinces (though they will register as hostile).
    Bunny said:

Hmmm, my first Heir has the trait Quick, which gives him +3 to all stats

I approve
    That's quite a rare one. More common +s to all stats are Ambitious and Diligent.

in unrelated news, Muslim succession crises are murder. I had four happen at the same time. Two resulted from one succession but then the new sultan died almost immediately. I'm less than a hundred years in and my character is my original character's great-grandfather.

Bunny said:

So far I've only lost in one war against the holy roman empire because some Hungarian jerk wanted me to help him out

they had troops up the wazoo and the fighting was so far away from me

I'm the Byzantine Empire, capital city Constantinople, for the record
    God help you once the Seljuks show up.
  • on the other side of things, I have completely wiped out Shi'a Islam.
  • Mo' said:

on the other side of things, I have completely wiped out Shi'a Islam.

it just occured to me how many things in this thread would sound really awful out of context

Mo' said:

it just occured to me how many things in this thread would sound really awful out of context

For Example

Bunny said:

Ooooh, and I performed my first baby smothering!

Huzzah!

• Mo' said:

it just occurred to me how many things in this thread would sound really awful out of context
    indeed.
    so the game I started is a vanilla game

I'm thinking maybe for my next game I'll just activate all the DLC and go crazy
  • started up my first Republic game after forming Hispania in my Muslim game.

it's....different. 

• got bored with the Republic game pretty quick, went back to that Suthreyar game I had where I'd formed the British Empire and lost by converting to Islam. This time I didn't lose by converting to Islam.

So now there's a Norse-controlled Britain that is mostly Muslim. Good.

• This thread made me want to play this game. So I've just purchased it, even though video games are probably not what I need in my schedule right now :)
    bwahaahahaha, holy war ACTIVATE!

Unfortunately holy wars means that I end up with a demesne of 22/9, so I've got to give a few titles to some nobles

but still, nothing like gaining piety for killin' dudes 
    oh hey my leader dude got killed on a hunt

whelp, hopefully his kid can step up to the plate. junior has twice as much diplomacy as his dad did, but an intrigue of one
  • edited 2013-06-23 09:42:30
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    A totally natural accident, I'm sure. :P

I've had characters die of "Natural Causes" at around 30 years old before. Real subtle, game.
    I dunno, he might have just stabbed himself in the foot or something
    I'll give you one better: my third youngest son and Marshal in my Wales game died of "natural causes" at age 23. I guess death on the job counts as natural causes now.
  • You can die of natural causes at any age. I think there's just a flat chance of it happening per year that increases as you get older.

I've had characters die naturally as young as 4 or 5 years old and I've also had them live as old as 92 (Rurik Rurikovich is a hardy bastard).

Also the game doesn't lie to you I don't think, if your character is killed by somebody it'll usually say it was a suspicious accident or at least an accident. 

• edited 2013-06-23 17:50:31
    Today I attempted to play as the king of Portugal (well, I should say Gallicia). Emphasis on attempted. Things of note that happened:

*For my first ambition, I chose to get married. Almost immediately, my king had sexytimes with a beautiful young courtier. I noticed she had very good stats compared to my other courtiers, so I decided to marry her. The game and its traditional values disapprove of this, however, since marrying a commoner cost me 200 Prestige.

*Soon afterward, my older brother, the king of Castille, got into a crusade with a small Muslim emirate and gave me a call to arms. I saw no reason not to accept. I mostly did the seiging while the Castilian army fought off the defending army.

*I held a summer fair in which I kicked out an end of the world conspiracy theorist so he wouldn't offend one of my bishops, and then refused to intervene when abused circus animals attacked their trainer out of compassion for the animals (there were two ways I could've done this, but I figured that the extra monthly Piety outweighed gaining favor with a bishop I was already on good terms with).

*Then out of nowhere, the king of Castille declared war on me for my misdeeds. I'm not entirely sure what these misdeeds are, but I think it might have something to do with sending my queen to spy on him. Anyhow, he got our other brother, the king of Leon, to help kick my ass to a bloody pulp. Then I ragequit.
  • Well "tales of your misdeeds are told from Ireland to Cathay" is just one of the things that the Christian kingdoms say when they're pissed at you.

Most likely, he had a de jure claim on one of your provinces. It could well be in your best interest to just surrender and take it back later.

Ah. All three of us had claims on each other's kingdoms, so that's probably it.

Ungrateful dicknipple. :P
  • Generally the best idea when starting as one of the Andalusian kingdoms is just to try to kill your brothers as quickly as possible. If you don't control the entirety of upper Iberia by the time the Sunni Caliph calls a jihad, you're fucked.
    so i've been playing this game on my tower

but in absence of my tower i will now see if my shitty laptop can handle it!

spoilers it probably can't
  • I will allow the following pictures to speak for themselves

you managed to make a stone that summons an Elder God?
  • oh no, that's just one of the runestones you can raise if you have the "Possessed" trait.
    ahhhh, excellent, so you managed to make a stone that summons an Elder God

good job mojo, I knew we could count on you to destroy history
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Given from the names and pictures, it's quite clear the King of Scotland and his vassals are Muslims; it seems he's made a stone that will summon a Islam Elder god. I'm guessing some sort of fiery, tentacled efreet
    monstrosity .

• we should all play a multiplayer game of this at some point.

I call the mongol hordes :D

I'd be up for that, though be warned that you will probably be awestruck at my terrible decision-making.

Only problem is it'd have to be without the Old Gods DLC, since that wasn't part of the sale.
  • oh no, player capabilities are determined by whoever's hosting. So I'd host since we'd have all the major DLC (unless someone REALLY wants Sunset Legacy).

I should point out that playing as the mongol hordes (any of them, there are several different ones you can play as depending on start date) is a fuckawful idea. It's way harder for a human player to hold all that together than an AI.

Ah. Both of those things are good to know.
  • doubly true for the Timurids, who are Muslim and thus have to deal with the decadence mechanic.
  • this game has crazy soundtrack dissonance.
  • I think I'm finally getting the hang of Republics.

these are my family's personal holdings in the Hanseatic League.

I'm not used to starting the game this late but w/e

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I love the Hansa.
  • if you buy The Republic DLC you can be them 

they're pretty cool. Prince-Mayor Heinrich seems like a decent dude.

• edited 2013-06-25 04:53:45
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I have none of the monies. None.

But I would.