Paradox 4X Thread [Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 4, etc.]

Comments

• edited 2013-06-21 20:19:39
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Okay, this is annoying.

So I bought the complete collection while it was still 75% off, and I'm trying to launch it for the first time. I've made sure to copy the product code to my clipboard so I can use all my DLC stuff. Steam says I need to enter this code after the game launches, but there's nowhere to put it. The only two options are Register, which takes me to the Paradox Forums and tells me I need to make an account with them (which I don't want and shouldn't need to do), and Start CKII, which inexplicably closes out the application.

Anyone know how to get around this?
  • No idea. I bought the vanilla first and had no subsequent problems getting Old Gods to work. Sounds dumb but did you make sure you checked all the boxes?

You'll have to sign up (with that same CD key natch) for it, but maybe try Paradox's forums.

• edited 2013-06-21 20:37:34
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    The boxes were completely empty.

I notice that the only thing that actually downloaded to my account was the vanilla version. Could this be the issue? Because if it is, I have no clue how to get around it.

Update: FUCKING BULLSHIT

I bought the whole goddamn package, but it says I don't actually own any of the expansion packs or DLC content. Motherfuckers cheated me.
  • Again, I'd say register for Paradox's forums. I wouldn't know how to help you there. Check your debit card, it might be a Steam store issue where the link accidentally bought you the wrong thing. If so, it still sucks, but at least you didn't waste any money.

The boxes were completely empty.

I meant the tick boxes that show up when you start the game.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    See, that's the problem. The game doesn't start up at all.

Also, I actually do have everything I bought. It's just that the Old Gods wasn't part of it. :|
  • Not even the little confirm launch box?

this guy

though I guess that wouldn't help if the game crashes on startup.

Yeah that's super fuckin' weird. Like I said, try taking it to Paradox's forums or failing that, reddit. The two are surprisingly helpful (though they're both filled with people complaining about petty bullshit, but that's the norm for any game with a dedicated fanbase).

!

Alternately, check your security settings. Windows Firewall sometimes blocks shit for stupid reasons, maybe check that out?

Lastly--and this would blow if it were the case--make sure you meet the minimum system requirements to run the game. I can't imagine you don't considering my shitty laptop can run the game fine (if somewhat laggy unless I turn "draw trees" off), but that would explain it. If you're not sure try downloading the demo and seeing if that works.

• edited 2013-06-21 20:59:16
    Yeah, that's where I'm stuck.

I see what you're talking about with the tick boxes. Despite the fact that I have everything in the package on my Steam account, none of the tickboxes actually show up. And "Start CKII" just closes out the application.

I'll check the security settings and system requirements, see if that has anything to do with it.
  • shit that thing you bought comes with all the unit packs too.

If I'd known it was gonna go on sale so soon I wouldn'tve bought it when I did. I don't even have all the expansion pack DLC (I have Old Gods, but not Byzantium, Sword of Islam, or The Republic. Nor Sunset Invasion, but, meh).

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I totally got it for 75% off

This is so great I think I'm gonna try playing like right now
  • Bunny said:

I totally got it for 75% off

This is so great I think I'm gonna try playing like right now
    I wouldn't recommend that if you wanna watch the stream tonight. Your first CK2 game will probably take up at least half a day of your life.
  • man Sword of Islam is literally $2.50 I have $2.50 just NOT ON MY CREDIT CARD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Mo' said:

man Sword of Islam is literally $2.50 I have $2.50 just NOT ON MY CREDIT CARD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

oh dude that totally sucks

on an absolutely completely unrelated side note what is your steam name

• my mom is a cool bean and just gave me $20 on my debit card in exchange for $20 of cashmoney. Said money will unfortunately not be in there until tomorrow morning though, so I can't grab the DLC right now and play the Fatimids on the stream tonight. oh well.

also, it is SuperglobeSupreme, Bunny.

okay, I added you so that we can be pals
    Oh shit dude, you've put a ton of hours into this silly game

ohgod i'm about to lose my life aren't i
  • I actually have no idea how to check that, but it's probably a lot.

Again, if you have any plans on catching the stream tonight, save it for after. I wasn't exaggerating earlier.

• also poking around in the data files can be amusing

GOD_GOD GOD_THE_LORD GOD_JESUS GOD_THE_BLESSED_VIRGIN
    According to your page it's been played 181 hours total

which means you either play it bunches and bunches or you afk with it a lot
  • well

probably mostly playing it bunches

I do idle with it in the background sometimes though.

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    181 hours in 16 days. :o wow!
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    You spend roughly 7.54167 hours playing it a day. ^_^ I wonder if I play shmups this much? Probably not every day but sometimes!!
  • That's on average though. I've played it both for way longer and way less.

anyway

I'm starting my stream in about half an hour if you guys wanna stop by. CK2 is the second half of the stream but the Super House of Dead Ninjas portion is gonna be pretty short most likely.

I'll be up in about ten minutes for testing but no actual game playing yet.

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    *hops on the bandwagon*
  • you were here first if anything.

In any case become King of England and name one of your daughters Lain and have her become Queen of England actually don't do that because horrible, horrible things happen to every human being in this game.

also yeah I guess my stream is not happening unless Twitch gets this stuff fixed soon.

• in other news I did my first bit of file editing and removed "John Paul" from the possible list of Papal Regal names. It doesn't make much sense. I also added a few (Christopher, Luke, and Micheal).
  • actually Luke and Micheal are already in there. whoops

(technically Loukas, but same idea)

So, game doesn't work for me either. Investigated and it seems I'm missing several DLLs. 

Navigating to the below and trying the .exe files directly let me know all this:

[Root Drive]:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Crusader Kings II
  • This is very peculiar.

Did you buy the bundle as well?

@ProfessorGator

Try downloading the latest Direct X version.

Mo' said:

This is very peculiar.

Did you buy the bundle as well?

Yes, but I think I've found the problem.

Update:

Direct X made all my problems go away.
  • the game does indeed require DirectX to run. I already had it which is probably why I did not encounter this problem.

I have not installed any games on this PC after installing Windows 8, hence my problem.
  • reforming Pagan religions is one of my favorite things to do in-game.

please note that the first High Priest of Tengri is our ten year old son.

also wholly unrelated to what we're doing but how does a Caliph get the nickname "Priest-Hater"? (accomplished only by having -100 Piety, almost impossible to do unintentionally, and having a couple specific traits)

• Justice42 said:

I have not installed any games on this PC after installing Windows 8, hence my problem.

I could see how this would be an issue.

Direct X is one of Those Things.

alright

i decided not to play this last night because I wanted to sleep

but today... i have the whole day
    holy shit mojo, this game is complicaaaaated

ah well, going through the tutorials, figuring shit out

I intentionally picked the easiest person to start as (this appears to be the Sultan of Persia). This made for a game where I can literally do nothing and let the game go to wrack up money, piety, not be overly concerned about wars or revolts, etc...

I could figure things out at my leisure this way. 
  • the easiest person to start out as (as far as learning game concepts goes) is generally actually considered to be the King of Brittany at the 1066 start date. Or one of the counts of Ireland at the same start. 

honestly playing as a Muslim is an entirely different game, conversely, playing as a Pagan is far easier early on but keeping your kingdom together gets nearly impossible if you're not already familiar with how to manage vassals.

also the tutorials are worthless, don't use them.

Mo' said:

the easiest person to start out as (as far as learning game concepts goes) is generally actually considered to be the King of Brittany at the 1066 start date. Or one of the counts of Ireland at the same start. 

honestly playing as a Muslim is an entirely different game, conversely, playing as a Pagan is far easier early on but keeping your kingdom together gets nearly impossible if you're not already familiar with how to manage vassals.

also the tutorials are worthless, don't use them.

yeah, i realized that despite telling me about a bunch of systems the tutorial didn't really tell me any important stuff at all
  • most important thing to realize as you start up is what the difference is between the Independent Realms map and the various De Jure maps.
  • Bought all the major DLC aside from Sunset Invasion (and fuck Sunset Invasion).

I also bought the African Portraits Pack against my best judgment just because the game using the same models for Arabs and Africans by default bothers the shit outta me.

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I'd argue than the Irish rulers are actually pretty tricky to start with, since you're stuck with an extremely poor economy, and have to wait years on end for anything of import to happen. You're never going to expand unless you go straight for the jugular of one of your neighbours, or murder a hell of a lot of people.
  • I'd argue than the Irish rulers are actually pretty tricky to start with, since you're stuck with an extremely poor economy, and have to wait years on end for anything of import to happen. You're never going to expand unless you go straight for the jugular of one of your neighbours, or murder a hell of a lot of people.

Yeah but I think the idea is that since you're very isolated from the rest of the map (except England/Scotland), you're less likely to just get eaten.
    Alright, I'm still confused, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.

Question on vassals vs. owning the land yourself: what's the difference? Which is better? Is there a number I should strive for?
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Once you start owning a certain number of demenses, your vassals start getting annoyed. It's the */* counter in the top right of the screen. So work around that.
    you're very isolated from the rest of the map (except England/Scotland), you're less likely to just get eaten.
    It's weird. In all the time I've been playing Ireland, I've never had an English Invasion. Few Norse ones, though.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Turns out Justice was right. DirectX was what I needed to get the game to run.

Upon my first look at the game, the sheer number of things to manage is overwhelming. I'm not quite sure what to do first.

I want to start out as a Welsh petty king. My first issue is that the heir to my kingdom has absolutely terrible stats compared to his younger brothers. I also have gavelkind as my inheritance law, so blah.