Anonus's Thoughts on Harry Potter

Comments

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Sirius was awesome.

This is the point where Harry starts to... well, you'll see.

Yeah, poor Sirius.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Anonus said:

Finished Order of the Phoenix

there is a method to Luna's madness (the best Cloud Cuckoolanders aren't so random after all),

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Anonus said:

Also, related to earlier books: I wonder if Harry's ability to talk to snakes and the Sorting Hat almost putting him in Slytherin are related to his scar connecting him with Voldemort

Wait and see.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Well, I know what you're getting at

Mother told me a long time ago

I'm just pretending to be oblivious to that aspect
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Looking back on it, Sirius's death makes me sad because of how crappy his life turned out. I mean, he spent half his life locked up with happiness-eating creatures for a crime an old friend of his committed.
    (2015 self)
    And if The Weasley Family hadn't won the lottery, they wouldn't have been on the front cover of the newspaper; and if that one visitor hadn't brought that specific newspaper to Alcatraz with that specific paper of the Weasleys with the whole family, including Scabbers, and hadn't walked past Sirius's cell, and if Sirius hadn't seen that specific picture and recognized Scabbers, he wouldn't have escaped from Azkaban.
  • I bet he would have done it anyway.
    Less than halfway through Half-Blood Prince now

Ron and Hermione had a falling-out
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I admit, HBP is a lot fuzzier in my mind than it should be. Need to re-read.

Also if you read the book when it was new, you'd be speculating on who the title refers to, but I imagine you've had that bit spoiled by now.
  • edited 2013-04-17 05:28:50
    ಠ_ಠ
    The sixth book did pass as a blur to me, but there were a few moments that stuck out.
    ^^It may have been but I have no idea who it is now
    Anonus said:

Ron and Hermione had a falling-out
    Yeah, Ron's kind of a twit for most of that book.
    Finished it

Things are grim

Dumbledore is dead

Harry has no parental figures left (he doesn't seem to consider Hagrid one)

And Rufus Scrimegour is a heartless opportunist
  • Scrimegour
    dafuq kinda whack ass name is that anyways
    It's a spoonerism of "grimescour", I think.
  • well yeah

but it's just so awful sounding
    It's a legit Scottish surname. Apparently noble, too.
    I think that the second syllable rhymes with "door." So: "SKRIM-djor."
  • When I first read HBP when I was nine, I had no idea why Harry was so mad at Scrimegour. I understand now, but I've never disliked his character for some reason.
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-04-19 00:31:59
    Naney said:

Scrimegour
    dafuq kinda whack ass name is that anyways

I hereby decree this to be the perfect Naney quote.
    I am most of the way through Deathly Hallows

So far, Hedwig, Mad-Eye, Wormtail, and Dobby have all died

I kind of like that they're journeying through a place other than Hogwarts for once.
    A brief aside about the last book: I honestly think that the various recollections of Voldemort are some of the most potent writing in the series.
    I like Neville

He's like the embodiment of Gryffindor
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I know, right? He's badass.
    (2015 self)
    Yeah, Neville rocks.

So, Anonus, what do you think of Aberforth?
    I wish we got to see more of him.

I finished the series

Snape was never a true Death Eater after all, Voldemort is now dead, and Neville got to teach Herbology

I wish Voldemort were more defined; even though his lack of humanity and complexity was his greatest weakness, he was not very interesting.
  • God forbid Evil be boring over being good.
    Maybe I'm just not used to evil being boring

Evil's supposed to be complex, dammit

Then again good being complex doesn't hurt either
    (2015 self)
    Didja see Neville's stunt with the sword and the Hat!

What's you're thoughts on the epilogue?
    Too short

I wanted to know more about their adult lives
    I never really like the epilogue all that much.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Looking back on the epilogue, it doesn't really make all that much sense that Harry named his youngest son after Snape. Even if he did turn out to be a good guy, he was still kind of a dickbutt to Harry.
    I know it. Really he was kind of a dickbutt towards all of the main Gryffindors.

Maybe Harry's view of him changed over the years.
    Plus also really: "Albus Severus" isn't a very good name. Especially if you're going to refer to him by both names all the time; it just sounds awkward.
  • edited 2013-04-20 21:56:23
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Does he really refer to him by that all the time? I just thought it was during that one talk because it was all serious and warranted a middle name.
    Hmm, maybe you're right.
    Also, I don't know if the books ever say this, but Peeves isn't the ghost of any human being and simply came into existence when Hogwarts was built

I once figured he was the ghost of someone who was strangled to death for being obnoxious
    Haha, I like your explanation better.
    Okay, final verdict time: Harry Potter is not a bad series of books by any stretch of the imagination, but I didn't find it to be all that great. Especially not the earlier books; the characterization improves from Order of the Phoenix onwards, but, in too many cases, not drastically. Neville Longbottom received the biggest boost in characterization; going from easily frightened and victimized to being someone who is resilient and can take charge. Luna Lovegood received too little time in the spotlight, which is too bad, because she could have been more interesting (oddball with no friends, and when she gains some she values them tremendously...in general she just seems kinda broken).

At the very least it is one of those things that unifies my generation, which is probably a good thing...
  • Anonus said:

At the very least it is one of those things that unifies my generation, which is probably a good thing...
    Ehhh, Considering Harry Potter started in my generation, it's kind of funny to say yours was the one unified.

Maybe it's just a connection between the two generations.
    What I should have said was "it unifies those of us who grew up in the 2000s," really.
    (2015 self)
    So, are you going to watch the movies and give us your opinion on them?
    I don't know.
    Let me guess, you were catching up on your comics when you saw that
    Yeah
    Okay, I have a question:

Barring some kind of fetish, what exactly would drive a human to get it on with a giant or a troll, considering the brutish nature of both races?
    Well, not all of them are necessarily brutish. In the case of giants, they are pretty close to humans in most respects, albeit larger and more overtly bestial, so it stands to reason that some might be more affable and thoughtful than others. Plus, some people like brutish people.

Now, trolls... well, that's verging on bestiality, isn't it? Kinda, y'know, wrong.