Anonus's Thoughts on Harry Potter

Comments

• hmm there is probably a real band called Sparks
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparks_(band)

oh hey yeah some peep played them in plug.dj a while back and it was rad and shit
  • edited 2013-04-13 20:41:58
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ There is. They were a glam-inflected disco outfit from the late '70s. They're actually pretty decent. They also did a record with this singer called Noel entitled "Dancing Is Dangerous" that was apparently a huge influence on Throbbing Gristle's "Hot On The Heels Of Love".

Ach. Ninjutsu.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    So, Order of the Phoenix:

On the third chapter, am pleased that really important shit is happening this early on for once
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    What do you think of Tonks?
    She was just introduced, but her name seems like it would be fun to say
    Got up to the beginning of Chapter Seven

I think I actually like this one better than its predecessors so far, even if Harry is angrier in this one
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    That surprises me, for some reason.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-04-14 00:44:13
    Order of the Phoenix was one of the few books I remember taking forever to read.

I guess it was because the length scared little 9-year old Tre. Or something. 9 year old me is hard to get into the mind of.

Either way I got re-hooked after trying OOTP again at age 11. I finished the series not too long afterward.
    I'm up to the start of Chapter Eleven

I have a feeling that I'm going to like Luna Lovegood

Why are you surprised, Centie?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Oh, Luna Lovegood is great. She's like the Mabel of Hogwarts.

Also I'm surprised because that's the one really angsty book 'n' stuff.
  • edited 2013-04-14 02:19:40
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    re: wish fulfillment: I don't think HP is really heavy on the wish fulfillment. Liiiiike yeah he is an awkward dork who gets abused and bullied until he realizes he is actually a wizard and gets to go to wizard school and have adventures and fight the dark lord of evil, but Harry really does not get everything he wants, and also deals with a *lot* of bad stuff, and also there is the fact that the story gets very dystopian and grimdark later on.

Luna Lovegood is great like CA said, and so is Tonks. :)

re: Matilda: There are similarities, but Matilda is more misanthropic, characteristically of Roald Dahl.

It's still about a kid's life that is pretty bad, until he gets whisked away to a magical land where he's gifted, told he's special, and also he's a bit of a celebrity. He's challenged, but the challenges ultimately just show how awesome he is.

Executed well or not, you have to admit, that reads like bad fan-fiction.  
    But it's not heavy on the angst yet
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    ^^ Yes that is true. :)
    Dolores Umbridge scares me
    Anonus said:

Dolores Umbridge scares me

Me too. She's exactly the kind of person I hate in real life.
    The Ministry of Magic is now more totalitarian

It's honestly kind of weird to see Harry speak so much here; he didn't seem that talkative before
    Harry's usually the kind of protagonist who just sorta stands still and lets things happen around him, isn't he?
    Yeah.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Harry really does get less boring later on. I never disliked him as a character, but he actually starts to live up to the whole hero schtick in the fifth book, even if he does do some really stupid things at points (as is to be expected of a teenager).
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Umbridge is clearly intended to be utterly loathsome, perhaps even moreso than Voldemort himself. Whilst Voldemort represents a more general and nebulous kind of evil, what with the whole "big bad evil guy who wants to live forever" shtick, Umbridge adores control at a personal level, and will do anything to get it. It's a far more relatable kind of evil, really.

And I'm getting overly analytical, methinks.
  • Justice42 said:

It's still about a kid's life that is pretty bad, until he gets whisked away to a magical land where he's gifted, told he's special, and also he's a bit of a celebrity. He's challenged, but the challenges ultimately just show how awesome he is.

The summary does, but the books don't. There's a distinct difference between the kinds of problems bad fan-fiction characters face and the problems that Harry faces. 
    Exactly. Umbridge is the kind of evil you have to watch out for in real life, while Voldemort is more of a fantastical villain.
    Umbridge is a truly great villain. I have met people like her. Rarely, but they leave an impression, the kind that you have to scrub off with steel wool...

I will admit, however, that Voldemort becomes really interesting from a psychological perspective in the last two books, particularly given his status as the default evil overlord antagonist in a children's book series.
  • edited 2013-04-14 15:44:06
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Justice42 said:

The summary does, but the books don't. There's a distinct difference between the kinds of problems bad fan-fiction characters face and the problems that Harry faces. 
    Hence why I'm likening the basic premise to bad-fanfiction instead of denouncing the entire series of such.  I'm not saying Harry Potter is the worse thing ever created, or anything. It's just, as someone who was already an adult when the books came out, I feel there's less for me here, were as I don't feel the same way as say Avatar: The Last Airbender, Homestuck, or Gunnerkrigg Court. 
  • edited 2013-04-14 21:09:39
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    So, has stuff in Gunnerkrigg happened since Tom made that crack about -imagining a target with every conceivable spot covered in darts- or did Tom go with that seven-year-mopefest that he threatened to do?
    You just might want to spoil that, Aliroz.

Strange that I know what you're talking about despite not having read that far, though...
    Dumbledore's Army has been formed
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Dumbledore's Army is a childhood GANG of little monsters who fight the authority of parent figures and they cast their mischievous little spells, like the Lost Boys and Captain Hook! ^_^
    Does Harry spray paint DUMBLEDORE WAZ HEAR on the Hogwarts walls? :D
  • edited 2013-04-14 21:10:25
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^^ I liked that subplot a lot.

^^ Pretty much. Lots of class warfare subtext...
    I admit Dumbledore's Army appealed to me

Aliroz_ said:

So, has stuff in Gunnerkrigg happened since Tom made that crack about -imagining a target with every conceivable spot covered in darts- or did Tom go with that seven-year-mopefest that he threatened to do?

Hrmmm.. probably nope and nope.

If anything , the story just hasn't really developed that much.
    Well

We found out that only those who have seen death can see thestrals

Also Harry's grappling with his feelings for Cho
  • I admit Dumbledore's Army appealed to me

Children soldiers is kind of harsh
  • OoTP was my favourite book, even if it did take me nearly a month to complete. It was in no way influenced by Luna Lovegood, no siree.
    I felt kinda bad for Luna for a while. I know how it feels to be an ostracized weirdo...

I will admit, I don't think I've met anyone as insidious as Umbridge.
    Also I wish Hagrid would stop hiding the origins of his injuries

I have a feeling that he's going to die at some point
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Just you wait, Anonus.
    Anonus said:

We found out that only those who have seen death can see thestrals
    One of my many little disappointments about the books is that Rowling never followed up on what happened to Nott, the other boy that could see them. She initially intended to have a scene with him talking to Draco at the beginning one of the middle books as an exercise in contrasts and a subtle way of having Malfoy begin to realise what a privileged git he was, but she ended up having to cut it.
    Spoilered because it's embarrassing:

Spoiler:
    Remember when I used to talk about how I had a desire to watch someone die? That started after reading OoTP as an impressionable child and seeing the thing about the thestrals. >_>
    Also, related to earlier books: I wonder if Harry's ability to talk to snakes and the Sorting Hat almost putting him in Slytherin are related to his scar connecting him with Voldemort

He sure doesn't seem like a Slytherin to me
    Finished Order of the Phoenix

Sirius died, Dumbledore knew how awful the Dursleys were, there is a method to Luna's madness (the best Cloud Cuckoolanders aren't so random after all), Umbridge left, and Mad-Eye calls out the Dursleys
  • Well done for getting through the doorstopper of the series.
    I admit, Sirius's death hit me pretty hard. He was really the only family Harry had left, you know?
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I dunno, the Weasleys are pretty much family to him. Not technically, of course, but then, Sirius was just his godfather.