Makin' a Pokemon Fan Game

Comments

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Aren't there already Pokémon fan hacks that increase the Legendaries' base stats to crazy numbers like that? I remember reading about one somewhere.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    It does seem like god Pokemon should have insane stats, be impossible to properly capture even with a Master Ball, and generally be a case of, "...Shit"
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    That oddly reminds me of how the Master Ball used to have a 1/256 chance of breaking open.

Anyhow, maybe Route 1 should also have some Roggenrolas. It is a mountain, after all.
  • edited 2013-03-20 18:56:23
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Don't think we need to spoiler most mon choices for route 1 :P

Maybe we should move discussion to PMs though?

Anyways, Eevee is the starter so roggenrola make it... Yeah

But if we DO go with that, then maybe:

Origin Cave

F1 Zubat, Rattata, Woobat
    BF1 Zubat, Rattata, Woobat
    -Rare: Ditto (No Pokeballs til after the cave. I'll see if I can disable shinies there)

Route 1 Present: Rattata, Caterpie, Spearow
    -Rare: Whismur, Hoppip, Roggenrola
    Ah, okay, just wanted to make sure we didn't need everything to be a SUPER SECRET SURPRISE.

And that setup looks good to me.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Everything up to the first leader will be in the first demo. Only the leader really needs to be kept secret for that
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Judging from how they talk about Gym leaders and the like, it seems like it's meant for people who play Pokemon a lot and have a fair strategic mind.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Don't worry though, the gym guide will give advice more along the lines of, "Don't bother with grass types - this leader has a counter. I'd recommend x Pokemon/Strategy to beat them"

Not quite that straight forward, but that's the gist of the kind of advice

Also don't forget: This IS the ingame AI. So it may decide to ignore its deadly strategy all together and instead use, say, growl on a Psychic type
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    If you want an idea of the gym difficulty I'm aiming for, play Pokemon Reborn
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ I... Ok?
  • that is apparently one of the gym leaders in pokemon reborn and it amused me
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ ...Not looking forward to fighting Ms. Clown Reject >.<
  • i am playing pokemon reborn now

a dude is hittin' on me

kinda nice for a change
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ I keep expecting him to drug me at some point
  • edited 2013-03-21 18:26:52
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I was under the impression that on a scale between the regular game and Blaze Black/Volt White, this game would be sort of a medium difficulty. Thus far, this does not seem to be mistaken.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    I tried drawing one of the grunts

I ended up with a new trainer class instead. A guy with one hand in his pocket. He is wearing a hoodie and jeans. Casual (Male)
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Heh

I'm going to make all young couples have an old couple counterpart in the exact same spot in the present, where possible
    Aww, that's adorable! :)

Anything else you need help with at the moment (and if it's a secret then feel free to PM it)?
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Well, turns out I could use some help designing maps
    Sure! Where do you have in mind?
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Right up until events taking place after the first gym

^^ Well, there is a late game gym. Over 350 by 250 tiles in size. Then there are the alleyways, the subways, the maze like interconnecting buildings...
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    *City, not gym
    Kinda like Castelia in BW2? Sounds challenging, but I'm still up for it.

Does it have any significant time-period counterparts?
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Nope. Well sort of

Spoiler:
    After the E4, you can access past it. It would be three small towns. Lugia would be found in the area (the present has three gyms in it. Ice w/ an Articuno, Electric w/ a Zapdos, and Fire w/ a Moltres. Yep. A city with three gyms)
    Spoiler:
    So basically, Pokemon the Movie 2000: The City. Got it.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Spoiler:
    Here are the legendary locations so far:

Articuno:
    Zapdos:
    Moltres:
    Mewtwo:
    Mew: (Same location as Mewtwo but in the past)
    Entei:
    Raikou:
    Suicune:
    Lugia: Center of the mega city, but in the past
    Ho-oh:
    Celebi: Echo Woods
    Regirock:
    Regice:
    Registeel:
    Kyogre:
    Groudon:
    Rayquaza:
    Jirachi:
    Deoxys:
    Azelf:
    Mesprit:
    Uxie:
    Dialga:
    Palkia:
    Giratina: Reverse World (After beating ghost leader... Who ends up being Giratina)
    Heatran:
    Regigigas:
    Cresselia:
    Darkrai:
    Shaymin:
    Manaphy:
    Arceus: Origin Cave
    Victini:
    Cobalion:
    Virizion:
    Terrakion:
    Tornadus:
    Thundurus:
    Landorus:
    Zekrom:
    Reshiram:
    Kyurem:
    Meloetta:
    Keldeo:
    Genesect:

...Yeeeah...
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Ok, I need feedback on the map:

Basically you start in the top left corner. Go to the Rock leader. Warp to past. Go face Bug and Normal in any order. Go face Flying. Warp to present. Go face Poison. Go to city left of Fighting. Warp to past. Go face Fighting. Warp to present. Go face Steel and Psychic in any order. Go to city right of Psychic. Warp to past. Go face Grass. Go face Water and Ground in any order. Go... Somewhere? This is where the map starts saying fuck you to me. Warp to present. Go face Ice, Electric, and Fire in any order. Go face Dark (might throw in a high speed subway so you don't have to do insane backtracking to get there). Go attempt to face E4. Warp to past. Go face Dragon. Go to town in top left corner. Warp to present. Go face E4

Any suggestions for the map to reduce backtracking? And this is just the map before Post Game. After post game you unlock some past routes/cities in the present and vice versa, along with a few new places not currently on the map
    Spoiler:
    I like the subway idea. The path between the time warp on the far east side of the map and the Grass gym seems a bit long; I would either put it south of the Psychic gym or put something like a story event or a minigame somewhere along the way. Perhaps both. Apart from that, it looks good to me.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Spoiler:
    Oh there will be story events in plenty of spots. Mind you, I can't think of any for there, so... Hmm...

Maybe give a chance to catch a legendary? Basically a side plot? Around there should be ocean...

Well we'll brainstorm ideas
    Spoiler:
    Well, the ocean is obviously Kyogre and Manaphy's domain. Or maybe the Regis, since they were entombed on islands in Hoenn.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Spoiler:
    What about Keldeo? You could see it training, it notices you, flees, and a man fills you in on the legend? Catching Keldeo could unlock the other three, all in the past?
    I like that idea better, actually.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Anybody here know how to script for RPGMaker XP?

With this idea plus maybe a cabin on the path with a game of Pokér...
  • edited 2013-03-23 00:57:02
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Spoiler:

The maps adjusted so far. Yellow is Post E4 content so far
  • edited 2013-03-23 01:08:58
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Spoiler:
    I completely forgot that the Ghost gym was post-E4, even when you told me why. Now I'm almost tempted to suggest a name like Garin to see if people catch on before the big reveal.
  • edited 2013-03-23 01:48:47
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Spoiler:
    Heh. Nice...

I want there to be three of the six minor trios (Unova has two minor trios) and a few other legendaries available before the E4

I know that the Muskedeers will be available

What should the other two trios be?

Birds
    Beasts
    Golems
    Pixies
    Kami
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Viani: Hahah
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    And the HMs will all be optional. Using blockades and such (which makes sense considering events in the present get bad, and events in the past involve a terrorist group)
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Anybody here good at making tiles?
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    16x16. Although RPGMaker uses 32x32, Pokemon uses 16x16. The sheer amount needed is... bleh
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Nobody? :/
  • edited 2013-03-23 18:14:48
    I'm afraid I'm no good at actually making tiles. Sorry.

As for the Legendary Trios: I like the Beasts best, but they seem a little clichéd. Then again, we already have Eevee as a starter, so I guess we shouldn't be too worried about that.

Nonetheless, I'll put my vote in for the Birds and the Kamis. The birds seem to have storyline significance already, and I still haven't tried out the Therian Formes.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Yeah beasts I am apprehensive about as they don't fit the region pre E4 very well, and the Muskedeer are also there, so...

Kami sound good. Not sure where to place them yet, however

Spoiler:
    The birds... Not entirely sure. If I make them related to the gym leader ones, then you'd catch their birds. If not related, then how do I handle them?
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Legendary availability:

Spoiler:
    Early game (first 8 gyms):
    Birds
    Victini

Mid game (Badges 9-14):
    Muskedeer
    Shaymin (Story Point)
    Keldeo

Late game (Badges 15-E4):
    Kami
    Meloetta

Post E4:
    The rest

Sound good? Or anybody want certain legends at certain points? Celebi, the Dragon Trio, and Arceus WILL be Post Game
  • edited 2013-03-23 22:06:33
    Spoiler:
    Sinnoh dragons or Unova dragons? And didn't you want Lugia and Ho-Oh to be post-E4 too?

Anyhow, I'm fine with that setup.