My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (Image-Heavy)

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Because, I dunno
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Because Applejack is awesome and finally got to accomplish her impossibly lofty goals through her own abilities and talents without any help and because Apple Bloom made the Wilhelm scream and because THIS IS THE BEST EPISODE EVER ER MA GERSH ERM A GERSH ERMAGERSH!!!

GUSHGUSHGUSHGUSHGUSHGUSH
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Wow.

Just for Sidekicks was good. Like, really good. Like, season 1 good.

I found my new favorite Season 3 episode, it seems.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Aww, that was great.  i love Spike.

...thinking that up until now i've misjudged Angel somewhat.
    He certainly seems to genuinely love Fluttershy.

Even if he can be a spoiled brat sometimes.
    They shoved the fun thing into the background though

The episode should have been about that...though isn't there an "Equestria Games" episode this season and I'm remembering wrong
    You don't think Spike and the pets are fun?

But it looks like the next episode will focus on the games themselves.
  • You know what the Mojave desert was missing? My Little Pony, of course.
    My Little Pony buddies, to be precise. Here's a mod by Kuroitsune and
    Riven1978 on New Vegas Nexus that allows you to have the MLP
    protagonists as your companions. Not all ponies are included—for now,
    there's only Luna, Celestia, Twilight, Fluttershy, Applejack, Rarity,
    Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Ditzy/Derpy and a few others. Perhaps the best
    part about this is that the ponies come with specific perks.
    a8 said:

You don't think Spike and the pets are fun?

But it looks like the next episode will focus on the games themselves.

Not really, no

Well, they could have been more fun, anyway
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I thought it was fun enough, personally. It wasn't my favorite episode but it was pretty good by season 3 standards.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Hidden for season finale that everyone already knows:

Spoiler:
    Am I the only one who's not all that shocked or annoyed by Princess Twilight Sparkle? They hinted all the way back in "Cutie Mark Chronicles" that there was something unique about her, and with the whole "next level of your studies" thing at the start of this season, they might as well have stated it outright.

The only thing I particularly dislike is the implication that Twilight will now outlive all her closest friends. :\
    i don't care

episode hasn't even aired yet and bronies already whining
  • a8 said:

i don't care

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Spoiler:
    But isn't CA already a princess? oh wait
  • edited 2013-02-03 16:48:02
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    @Lee: Heh...

Spoiler:

Me: IT'S NOT FAIRRR. How come even the pretend horse gets to become an immortal princess goddess thing before I do?

Deathonabun: Well, CA, maybe it's BECAUSE she's a pretend horse.

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    THE PROPHECY WAS TRUE!

• edited 2013-02-12 23:31:50
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Of course this means tumblr is going to loose its shit as soon as we start to see the characters and their inevitably assigned skin color. 
  • edited 2013-02-12 23:33:44

i hadn't thought of that

disgonbgud.gif
  • edited 2013-02-12 23:46:39
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    These are said to be their designs, so their skin tones are taken from their coat colors:

[switched it for Imgur beause lolhotlinkprotection -- CA]
    Even if they're rainbow-colored like Doug characters, Tumblr will throw an epic fit.

imageimage

So much "what?"
    well

he does like horses
  • i ship bunny and equius due to their similar tastes in the fine arts
    Well, that's a thing.

At least we know Hasbro's not above milking the brony phenomenon for all it's worth!
    that's not "below", that's just good business

...will Equestria Girls be any good
    my guess is no it will not
    ^^ You'll notice I didn't say I blame them.

We're talking CASH MONEY here, after all.

And no, it won't, but I might watch an episode or two anyway just to see how bad it is.
    Let's put it this way: At least it doesn't have Elmyra in it. :P
    it's what the network wants, why bother to complain :P
  • edited 2013-02-15 23:44:02
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I powered through the season 3 opening two parter.

I actually enjoyed it, I just don't like the singing.
    i liked the singing although the songs in that 2 parter were not good songs

Twilight's "OMG I FAILED THE TEST" freak-out at the end was pretty ridiculous. 

Yes Twilight. Princess Celestia is going to "fail" you because even though you saved a kingdom, you needed Spike to physically carry something.  

But, then again. Twilight has always been something of a literalist, so I guess this is just par for the course.

Mad props to the animation team for making princess Cadence look haggard and emaciated.  
  • edited 2013-02-16 18:16:29
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Re: "Magical Mystery Cure":

I enjoyed that a lot. I'm still not entirely sold on Princess Twilight, but getting there was fun.

My only real complaint would be the pacing--the whole thing felt a bit rushed. Personally I would have pared down the proceeding two episodes into one (since they seemed to drag on forever anyway) and made this one a two-parter.

As for the ending:
    Spoiler:
    I feel like this would have been a good way to end the series. The fact that there's apparently a fourth season in the works makes me wonder how they're gonna handle this, since it basically upsets the entire premise of the show (e.g. "student goes to small town to learn about friendship"). Here's to hoping the crew hasn't written themselves into a corner!

Edit: I don't know why I spoilered that last bit. Even if you didn't know the foregone conclusion, I didn't actually reveal anything...

I figured out where they where headed by episode one of the season, anyway,
  • I feel like this would have been a good way to end the series. The fact
    that there's apparently a fourth season in the works makes me wonder how
    they're gonna handle this, since it basically upsets the entire premise
    of the show (e.g. "student goes to small town to learn about
    friendship"). Here's to hoping the crew hasn't written themselves into a
    corner!

I worry about the same thing. Also, one of the most attractive features of the show was that, while Twilight is nominally a protagonist, she is no less or more flawed than the other cast. Now that her status is different, I wonder if the writers will manage to avoid making her "better" than the other five.

And yes, the fans have figured out that this is where it headed from the episode one of the season :)
    Honestly, I suspected it all the way back from "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" in season 1. Remember Celestia's comments about how she'd never seen a unicorn as powerful as Twilight?

But I just think it's funny to pretend it's a big secret. What can I say, I'm easily amused. :P
  • edited 2013-02-17 01:29:47
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    That "let's give a B-plot its own episode!" thing was really not a good idea/well-done

This show's aversion to A-plot/B-plot structure has always kind of irked me, though I don't know if it's a crew decision or a mandate by Hasbro but it needs to be tossed aside sometimes

Anyway this whole episode felt kinda rushed and it probably should have been a two-parter

Episode rankings for season 3:

CELESTIA TIER:

None

GOOD TIER:

The Crystal Empire

Too Many Pinkie Pies

Magic Duel

Sleepless In Ponyville

Wonderbolts Academy

Keep Calm and Flutter On

Magical Mystery Cure (despite my hesitance to place this here it was kinda fun)

MEH TIER:

One Bad Apple (despite a decent moral which got bungled, that or the actual plot)

Apple Family Reunion

Spike At Your Service (despite some funny bits)

Just For Sidekicks

Games Ponies Play

BAD TIER:

None
    Also, did anybody notice that they did the sort of Kids' WB!-esque stuff with the bumpers again? And they had a Dos Equis parody promo
    Yeah, One Bad Apple could have been handled a whole lot better. It felt like one of those Tiny Toons episodes where they were trying to be serious and failing.
    I'm not gonna bother ranking them, 'cause looking back, all but a few of them were at least good/decent to me.

"One Bad Apple" - I have to at least give the writers credit for acknowledging that bullying needs to be acknowledged, but the episode dealt with it in a kinda clunky way. The one redeeming quality was the musical number--it reminded me of something from an '80s-ish cartoon, so props for that.

"Magic Duel" - One of my favorites of the season. Also probably the darkest episode of the series. You know how every cartoon you watched as a kid had that one episode that always kinda creeped you out? This would be that episode, if I'd watched FIM as a kid.

"Sleepless in Ponyville" - Probably my other favorite of the season. I loved that we got an episode centered on Scootaloo for once, and I liked that it confirmed her cute mentor-student relationship with Rainbow Dash.

"Keep Calm and Flutter On" - What is there to say, Discord is great as usual.

"Just for Sidekicks"/"Games Ponies Play" - This would have worked well as a single episode with an A-B plot, I think. As it is both episodes just kinda seemed kinda fillery.

"Magical Mystery Cure" - Honestly, if the first half of the episode had been a standalone episode it would be one of my favorites. As it is, the whole "lol you're a princess now" thing seemed kinda tacked-on and threw off the pacing. Still enjoyed it on the whole, though.

Rarity got no episode this season which makes me sad.

"One Bad Apple"'s musical number somewhat reminded me of the "Sugar Rush" song from Wreck-It Ralph.

I know this was suppose to make me sad, but you're fucking immortal. Cry me a river, bitch. 
    i dunno, do alicorns experience time the same way as Tolkien's elves, or more like the Endless?  If the latter, then a thousand years in isolation has to be pretty horrifying.
    Not to mention that it was 1000 years that she had alienated everyone who loved or cared about her, to the extent that her own sister was forced to imprison her.

I considered the endless possibility as well.

The issue here is that she's not lamenting the years of loneliness or anything like that, just that she's out 1,000 years...out of infinity...