Heap of Tunes of the Heapers' Hangout Forum

Comments

• it is The Advent of Panurge

my dad likes gentle giant as it turns out
  • Odradek said:

Gentle Giant is a band where I have to listen to their songs more than once to start liking them, but once I do, I like them a lot.

If you haven't gotten the whole album yet, it's totally worth it.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu

I like this artist

• edited 2013-06-15 14:04:48
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Way back on the first page, Mo was asking if anyone else liked The Orb. Well, I just picked up Orbus Terrarum (or, as it's written on the cover, ORBVS TERRARVM) and I'm digging it. 

Part of "Montagne d'Or" reminds me of Chill Out, what with the pedal steel guitar.
  • this remains the only song with a Ytcracker verse on it that I like.

I'm pretty sure ProtoMan has never been on another song which is kind of depressing.

• edited 2013-06-18 05:35:54

So in "Cool Bands I've Found at 4 in the Morning", behold The Schoenberg Automaton:

<a href="http://myriadrecords.bandcamp.com/album/vela">Vela by The Schoenberg Automaton</a>
    They perform a fun, energetic and memorable blend of technical deathcore and mathcore, with a wee bit of rougher-than-is-in-vogue sounding djent here and there. definitely liking it so far.
  • i heard them on a tech metal compilation a couple years ago but wasnt too impressed. pparticularly because the 'schoenberg' was making me imagine some sort of serialist death-metal, like Gorguts style or something, but i found 'em fairly standard

now that ive been reminded of that compilation im wondering what happened to Luther Blissett who were a cool and dirty as hell math/noisey group who i never really found anything else from (also plus points for naming themselves Luther Blissett)

• serialist death-metal

IIRC Behold The Arctopus tried doing this on a track, but it did not turn out so good (*as per usual with them*).

i have not heard much stuff that has really grabbed me as of late tbh. I did find out that cdatakill has a cybergrind side project called Siamese Royalty, it might be worth googling if incredibly plastic sounding cybergrind with fakey guitars and boxy but cool sounding drum machines appeal to you, but im not sure if the demos will get repeat listens from me.

page 99's document #8 is free on bandcamp, i have not listened to it yet but it's supposed to be one of the best screamo albums ever

have i plugged surachai here yet? he's best buds with richard devine (*who shows here and there*), makes grindcore with abrasive modular synth bits. also his latest thingymawhatsit has gotten some attention from anthony fantano, which surprised me.
  • oh yeah and i guess i've been listening to Iron Lung a lot as of late too.
  • ive been spinning the new BoC album a lot and it is certainly very BoC-ish and good, even if i miss the playful edge of their earlier stuff.

also crosby stills nash and young, their cover of Woodstock is pretty rad

• and if you fancy somehing really bizarre my boyfriend has introduced me to 'The Friends of Mr Cairo' which is an album which is a colllaboration by Jon Anderson of Yes and Vangelis. its the most fucking 80s thing ever and is completely ridiculous
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    sunn wolf said:

and if you fancy somehing really bizarre my boyfriend has introduced me to 'The Friends of Mr Cairo' which is an album which is a colllaboration by Jon Anderson of Yes and Vangelis. its the most fucking 80s thing ever and is completely ridiculous

I MUST LISTEN TO THIS
  • also the new skinny puppy album is good
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Listened to that most recent Surachai LP. Very good stuff, although I think that I will have to listen to it again at least once to get a proper feel for it.

Also listened to a few tracks off of that Deafheaven album that a lot of people have been talking about. Sounds very promising.
  • i honestly don't like deafheaven
  • have some proper black metal w/ a seriously wicked video:

• edited 2013-06-18 19:04:42
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ I admittedly have not heard any of their other work (which I have heard is pretty unlike Sunbather), but what I had heard did not strike me as something that you'd be crazy about, vocals aside maybe.

^ Very nice video. Very... Greek.
    This sounds like it is going to be amazing.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Party's brewing in http://plug.dj/hitler-the-aids-live/ tonight.
  • Waka Flocka Flame is a beautiful human being.
    ...what Mo said.
  • edited 2013-06-21 23:53:54
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    It's happening, people. http://plug.dj/hitler-the-aids-live/
  • edited 2013-06-22 01:51:42

have some proper black metal w/ a seriously wicked video:

Bit of a late response, but that's pretty awesome. If RC's other stuff is as good as this, I'll definitely have to look into their stuff.

Speaking of Black Metal, I've been listening to some of Ancient Rites more recent stuff and I really like it, even though it's moved more into folk metal territory.

• edited 2013-06-22 18:45:08

It's happeniiiiing~

• It's happeniiiiing~
    I cant wait till the album comes out.

• new Born of Osiris

On one hand, The drums are kinda plasticy, the symphonic elements lean towards the overbearing, the rhythm guitar can be a bit monotonous and it is too damn loud. On the other hand, there is quite a bit of cool and catchy lead guitar and keyboard work and it is all put together rather thoughtfully.

In short, it is pretty much exactly what one would expect it to be.
  • went to the record store, somebody sold off a shitton of progressive deathcore albums, I ended up picking up almost all of Veil of Maya's discography.

So that was nice.
  • Run The Jewels has edged out Yeezus as my favorite 10-track rap album of the year.
  • edited 2013-06-28 14:56:17
    This is old news, but I just found Interpol member Paul Banks has a hip hop mixtape.

Unfortunately, he never actually sings or raps. 10/10 cover, though.
  • he has a hip-hop mixtape and his beats are fucking awful.

I legitimately think I am a better producer, and it is painful to me that El-P and Mike G are on that tape.

• edited 2013-06-28 20:11:50
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Kim Deal may have just left the Pixies, but they're already at work recording and releasing new songs:

I was kind of repelled by it at first, probably because of the opening drumbeat that, on first listen, didn't sound like it should've been in a Pixies song. After another listen, however, I realized that it does sound a lot like a song that would've been recorded shortly after Trompe Le Monde. I still don't think it's one of their better songs, but it does make me cautiously optimistic for a new album if they choose to record one.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Bill Mallonee & Vigilantes of Love have this EP available for free through Saturday. They're one of them bands that I kept hearing good things about, but never got around to listening to. Initial listen is promising.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

why did they even bother making new music genres after psychedelic rock was created

I exaggerate but still
  • if you haven't listened to El-P & Killer Mike's Run The Jewels yet, do so now.

It's comparatively low stakes to the stuff they normally do (hyperfuturist surreal paranoia and high-octane political rants respectively), but it's still a strong competitor for mixtape of the year IMO. Very punchline-heavy and a bit hard to keep up with if you're not used to this kind of rap, but it's still really fuckin good.

also it is free so you lack an excuse

• i've downloaded it, will listen in a wee bit

in other news

this is happening
  • First listen, verdict: I liked it and was consistently entertained, will listen a few more times at least
  • it's real good.

I broke my self-promise to never tweet at rappers to tell them both I liked it.

i've downloaded it, will listen in a wee bit

in other news

this is happening
    they had me at "feat. Danny Brown"
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-07-04 09:11:00
    so my newest musical obsession is Tom Swoon

Polish guy, makes some pgood electro house

also, unrelated to the music but he has a really thick accent. Also also at one point he went by Pixel Cheese. Both of these things re irrelevant but I thought they were curious.
  • haeo has anyone not listened to Tomorrow's Harvest yet? You should if not.
    In honor of Gratuitous Explosions Day, I'm listening to Brian Wilson's Smile and Havalina Rail Co.'s America.
  • That is a good album I recommend it that is all
    Mo' said:

in other news

this is happening
    they had me at "feat. Danny Brown"
    Is it just me, or is Kevin Martin making a nod to trap-rap with the drum programming there? Not a criticism, simply an observation.

Also, boy does that track drip with sleaze, and not in a bad way.
  • trap from someone who doesn't really seem to understand it. The beat's not the best thing in the world but it's got Danny Brown on it so y'know.

I'm not one to usually complain about this kind of thing but it sounds really poorly mixed. If the drums hit a little harder I'd like a lot better.

• also the comments on this thing make me wanna stab my eyes out.
  • edited 2013-07-05 02:46:01
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ Well, that assumes that he is trying to make a straight trap beat. This being The Bug, he is clearly not; the emphasis is, as ever, on the bass and the weird samples. I simply noticed that the stuttering hi-hat and snare bits had a definite trap vibe to them, albeit taken pretty far out of their usual context.

Have you ever heard anything else by The Bug?

^ You can turn them off...