Heap of Tunes of the Heapers' Hangout Forum

Comments

• We can do anything if we do it together.
    I finally got around to listening to The Terror today. It's a pretty gripping album, albeit in a different way than Flaming Lips albums usually grip. It should suffice to say that I feel the album can be summed up in two words (borrowed from Elvis Costello): "Emotional Fascism". 
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Listening to the Run Lola Run soundtrack at the moment, and suddenly wondering about techno / house / drum-n-bass / whatever with '70s-style "wacka-chicka-wacka-chicka" guitar.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Rediscovered this when browsing the Motherheap:

To quote myself over two years prior (so young!):

Making a wild guess as to who's who in said video:
      • Colin Newman - Screaming Guy
      • Mike Thorne - Keyboard Cape Dude
      • Desmond Simmons - Penguin Boy
      • Robert Gotobed - Red Percussion Person
      • Simon Gilham - Portable Piano Man
    Hey all, it's happening: http://plug.dj/hitler-the-aids-live/
    The more I listen to The Monks' Black Monk Time, the more I love it.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I love ELO, guys

They're just great
    Me too

/me too post
    Jeff Lynne wrote a bunch of damn fine songs.
  • Unsurprisingly enough, most of my favourite songs are in Russian.

Which is unfortunate sometimes, as I am not skilled in poetic translation, and so can't share most of them.
    We might still like them just on a musical level...
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I have a recently newfound love of The Field.

Been listening to Airs' Gloomlights a lot lately.

While the band's main vocalist is a touch on the whiny side (which can be annoying sometimes), these guys really know how to write a hook and just have a really nice sound that toes the line between comfortably warm and oppressive very well.

They also have some interesting stylistic aspects to their work: They started out as a shoegaze/black metal fusion outfit, and that permeates their later work (like this album) in some peculiar ways, what with the odd use of drum machines and periodic outbursts of frenzied buzz-saw riffing. They also exhibit some really strong post-rock tendencies—particularly in their longer tracks where song structure goes all to hell and these really pretty echoed guitar interludes creep in and amongst the slabs of fuzz and mechanised blast-beats—with the occasional synth-pop flourish or noisy experimental aside thrown in for good measure.

Good stuff, is what I'm saying, even if the shades of middle-of-the-road '90s emo show through a bit strong in the vocal approach. Plus, they're really tight with Have A Nice Life, so that's something.
  • edited 2013-06-06 15:22:02

Well, then new NIN album has been announced. called Hesitation Marks.

it can be pre-ordered, and there is a song:

It is a good song, a nice integration of his old and new sounds.

oh yeah, release date is 09/03/13

• Huh, what happened to most of the NIN logo there?
  • edited 2013-06-06 16:20:02
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    It almost looks like LM Duplication's logo.
    Listening to UB40's debut album, Signing Off. I sought it out on the recommendation of Matt Wignall (of Havalina Rail Co.) who specified that one must listen to this album and nothing else by UB40. And now I understand why. It's strange to think that the same band that recorded this moody, dubby album would go on to record an inappropriately upbeat cover of "Red Red Wine".
    I forgot how enjoyable Crass were.

Now I remember. Sometimes fury is a positive force.
  • So, Chief Spyres and John Ehlers (formerly of Nile) and Flo Mounier (human-octopus/drummer for Cryptopsy) have teamed up with a new band called Temple of Thieves.

As one would expect from the collaboration of such talented tech-death musicians, the result sounds a lot like... 

A Perfect Circle?
    I finally got around to listening to Random Access Memories today. I should say that most of the album actually doesn't sound too much like "Get Lucky", although it does still pursue the overall artistic direction that song indicated they would take. I still consider this album a pretty far cry from most modern Top 40 pop, however, and think that if more of it took cues from Daft Punk, we'd be much better off. It's honestly pretty difficult for me to pick a favourite song, but if I had to pick just one, it'd be "Giorgio By Moroder".
  • Well, Several cool tunes on the D'n'B front have dropped today:

First up, a new Renard single under his Jackal Queenston alias. I haven't been that big on the stuff he's released as JQ before, but these two tunes are really amazing, with a strong footing in old school jungle and some attention-grabbing techstep touches.

Secondly, A new Rockwell single (*also on iTunes and Beatport*). For those not in the know, Rockwell currently is THE most innovative producer around. While I have not given the B-side a spin yet, the A-side is a mean monster, fusing his trademark uniquely syncopated beats with massive synth sounds and some really cool vox.

So yeah, good day.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Secondly, A new Rockwell single (*also on iTunes and Beatport*). For those not in the know, Rockwell currently is THE most innovative producer around. While I have not given the B-side a spin yet, the A-side is a mean monster, fusing his trademark uniquely syncopated beats with massive synth sounds and some really cool vox.

He has come so far
  • edited 2013-06-10 13:56:07

god not that dude

every few months his picture becomes the profile pic on last.fm and it's really annoying. >:/
  • I also thought that was who you meant actually and I was disappointed that it wasn't because I really like "Somebody's Watching Me".

also I heard a chillwave song on the radio the other day and I don't know what it was called and they're probably never gonna play it again.

Lastly, I am getting really sick of the Crusader Kings 2 bgm, what's a good thing to listen to while conquering Europe?

I've always thought that Sonic Youth's "Brother James" and The Gerbils' "The Battle of Electricity" made good castle-storming music.
  • I play this game for like six hours at a time.

I'm basically looking for something to replace orchestral music that isn't necessarily orchestral music.

I would recommend either queueing up multiple Manuel Göttsching LPs or the entirety of LaMonte Young's The Well-Tuned Piano, in that case.
  • I also thought that was who you meant actually and I was disappointed that it wasn't because I really like "Somebody's Watching Me".

:|
    Mo' said:

E2-E4 sounds interesting.

It most certainly is.
  • Naney said:

I also thought that was who you meant actually and I was disappointed that it wasn't because I really like "Somebody's Watching Me".

:|

is there a problem sir

Mo' said:

E2-E4 sounds interesting.

It most certainly is.

well I downloaded it

hoping it's more krautrock than Karl Shulze though.

Klaus Schulze, you mean?
  • Klaus Schulze, you mean?

I am bad at words so yes.
    I thought so.

I like Klaus Schulze, but I can easily understand not being into him.
  • I believe I once heard the phrase "an impenetrable fortress built entirely of synthesizers" to describe his music. I rather agree with said phrase.
  • i can get on youtube again. as such i have been exploring olan mill's output post-Pine and i have concluded that they literally cant do anything wrong

it is amazing how they can make beautiful, unashamedly romantic, maybe even neoclassical music, without once getting anywhere close to schmaltz or cheesiness, or anything that just doesn't feel goddamn real and felt. olan mill is real, every moment

• it's beautiful music that doesn't try to be beautiful (which is where most of this kind of stuff falls down). it just is beautiful. you get the impression they couldnt mmake non beautiful music if they tried
  • OLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN MIIIIIIIILLS

that would be hilarious if you lived in Pennsylvania because you would hear that damn Forman Mills commercial all the time.

also that Manuel Gottsching LP was great. Does he have any similar ones?

• Captain Murphy / MF DOOM track was just announced and I am very happy.
    ^^^ New band to check out! Woo!

^^ He has released a number of solo albums, many of which are in that vein, although some are more guitar-oriented than others.

^ Cool.
  • Heh, Mo, even though I'm not from PA I can appreciate said joke. We used to go up to New Jersey a lot because my dad's family lived up there for quite some time.

In other news, music. I agree with Section on Giorgio by Moroder, that's probably my favorite from RAM as well.
    Naney said:
    I have heard of them but I had heard little from them.

Rectifying that issue as we speak.
    P.S. I was hearing that commercial in my head on reading that name before I even saw Mo's post. Strange minds think alike.
    Party's going on in http://plug.dj/hitler-the-aids-live/ right now.

• Better than caffeine.
  • edited 2013-06-14 13:07:36
    My dreams exceed my real life

Gentle Giant is a band where I have to listen to their songs more than once to start liking them, but once I do, I like them a lot.
  • idk what gentle giant song that is because i cant see youtube, but Free Hand owns