Heap of Tunes of the Heapers' Hangout Forum

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life

So is this a band I should feel guilty for liking?

Because I do, but their songs sound kind of the same, so you really only need to listen to maybe one album or one song to get the gist.
  • well that article made me rage.

I'm now going to go back listening to all this hip-hop that sounds nothing like anything Todd is describing.

I. Fucking. Love. Flo Rida.

There I said it.
  • He isn't actually that bad. People just don't like him because they mistake his music for hip-hop when it's not.

"When I listen to indierock, it's full of boys telling me how they feel. When I listen to R&B it's boys telling me how they'll make *ME* feel"
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    From what little I've heard of their work, The Paper Chase seem like a perfectly respectable band to be into.

I am indifferent to Flo Rida. He's mostly just boring to me, though a few of his hooks are nice, and "I Cry" is actually a good song.
  • Flo Rida apparently likes Adventure Time which is weird to me for some reason.

• heavy artillery on every encounter
    ^ Nice.

On a completely different musical front, this is a very strange thing.
  • edited 2013-02-06 12:05:19

http://clppng.bandcamp.com/album/midcity

I've been listening to this for the past few days

it is pretty great and stuff

it has Jonathan Snipes from Captain Ahab

also the MC dude seems pretty rad
  • and there's some wicked modular synth work and stuff
  • edited 2013-02-06 12:20:38

it reminds me of like a hip-hop Surachai

also one of the tracks has Ezra Buchla (Don Buchla's son).

so yeah you should dl it.

though there are a few tracks towards the beginning that i was meh towards

Also 'Story' has some of the most brutal lyrics i've ever heard
    I have no idea what to make of what I'm listening to here. I like it but... what the—?

I will download this when I wake up, because downloads on this computer take aeons and I am le tired.
  • the new autechre album is out digitally

if anybody wants it
  • edited 2013-02-08 12:22:49

Stream Apparat's Krieg und Frieden
    Sascha Ring's latest album, due out next week on Mute, is made up of tracks composed for a German theatre production of Tolstoy’s War and Peace.

it is good

Like really listen to it now

• i think this tune is pretty much perfect, which is not all that surprising given the dudes involved
  • I wish to locate more music in this vein

sort of world music-informed dance or somesuch. I already have Transglobal Underground's Dream of 100 Nations, and have for awhile, but does anyone else have any suggestions?

• we need to talk about Sun Araw and his heavy humid improv funky psychadelianess
  • edited 2013-03-07 12:43:53

techy deathgrind that i posted in some thread the other day

this album is gonna get a lot of play from me i think
  • Fat Tony's new song features both Kool A.D. and Despot

if Kool rapped like that more often I'd probably like him a lot more. Despot's verse is still better though.

also Fat Tony himself seems lackluster.

• I am listening to Adam War-Rock's You Dare Call That Thing Human?

I don't usually listen to nerdcore but it was free.

Naney accidentally got me into a band vis à vis an emo joke. Not sure how I feel about that, but I do like them. The band in question is the absurdly monikered I Wrote Haikus About Cannibalism In Your Yearbook, and they are... hectic.

I'm also listening to Clipping now, for which Naney is also to blame. Noise and hip-hop are a match made in the best part of Hell.
  • Naney accidentally got me into a band vis à vis an emo joke. Not sure how I feel about that, but I do like them. The band in question is the absurdly monikered I Wrote Haikus About Cannibalism In Your Yearbook, and they are... hectic.

I have a friend on last.fm who is into them, but i had actually never given them a listen before i embedded that link.

They were one of the most highly revered Screamo bands out there apparently.
  • avant doom double bass solo

• I know y'all don't care too much about Odd Future but Earl dropped a new song last night and it's pretty good

• I don't suppose anyone cares about Justin Timberlake's most recent endeavor? It leaked the other day.
  • anyone want to DJ
  • I don't suppose anyone cares about Justin Timberlake's most recent endeavor? It leaked the other day.

Listened to a good half of it last night. Wasn't bad. Some of the songs seemed a little overlong but one could see that coming given FutureSex/LoveSounds.

Of course, this is coming from a boy that has been imitating JT's falsetto since 2006 so I'm probably not the most objective listener.
  • i'm a bit late on this but

new prodigy sounds like it will be rad.
  • i am 400% serious it is the best thing i have ever heard in my life.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Lately I've been spinning St. Germain's Tourist a bunch. Really tasty mix of house and jazz, with live musicians soloing over looped beats.

SO HEY GUYS I've been listening to The Orb a lot lately and wondered if anyone here was into them.

They're probably best known for "Little Fluffy Clouds".

I got that album they did with Lee Perry last year. 
    The Orbserver in the Star House. That was fun.
  • MetaFour said:

Lately I've been spinning St. Germain's Tourist a bunch

(*High Five*)

(*Personally I've always found their songs overly long even by house standards, but they's good*)
    Tourist is their only album I have yet, and the longest track on there is 8.29 long. Are there longer songs on other albums?

My opinion on length is that a song can keep going forever as long as it keeps introducing interesting variations. (Hello, "Jenny Ondioline". Hello "Impossible Soul". Hello "The Box".)
  • Nah, their songs are roughly in the 7-8 minute length (which is about average), but they tend to not have enough movement and you kinda feel the length more than you should.
    Well, I must not be listening to the right house music, because I can't think of any names but most of it is even less dynamic than this. (Or it's videogame remixes.)

Granted, St. Germain is no Jaga Jazzist, but those guys are something else entirely.
  • edited 2013-03-15 00:05:10
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Hey there MetaFour. Good to see you hanging around on HH. I think you'll find the core of the old TVT Music forum made it over here. In addition to the people you've already seen, JHM posts here as Srendi Vashtar, and thenamelesssamurai and sunn wolf both post here as well. We don't have Saeg, Zudak, or Wicked though. I hope that you enjoy yourself here, if you decide to stick around.

P.S. Stereolab rules. Emperor Tomato Ketchup is an amazing album.

• which, interestingly enough, loops back around into an artist that i've been listening to a lot

I wish to locate more music in this vein

sort of world music-informed dance or somesuch. I already have Transglobal Underground's Dream of 100 Nations, and have for awhile, but does anyone else have any suggestions?

I know you said before that you don't care for Afro Celt Sound System, but which songs/albums of theirs have you heard? They have quite a bit of variety even within a single album.

To be honest, I'm having a hard time hearing the world music influences in that posted track, unless you're referring to the marimba(?) near the middle of the tune.
    Section42L said:P.S. Stereolab rules. Emperor Tomato Ketchup is an amazing album.

I realize that this is some kind of heresy, but I think I prefer
    Cobra and Phases Group Play Voltage in the Milky Night over Emperor Tomato Ketchup.

Of course, both of them bow before the majesty of Dots and Loops.
  • MetaFour said:

I wish to locate more music in this vein

I know you said before that you don't care for Afro Celt Sound System, but which songs/albums of theirs have you heard? They have quite a bit of variety even within a single album.

To be honest, I'm having a hard time hearing the world music influences in that posted track, unless you're referring to the marimba(?) near the middle of the tune.

well the problem is that there are two largely unrelated genres called World Music, one is....well, music from non-western countries. The other is what I posted.

Thta's my understanding of it anyway, I'm no expert on electronica. Afro-Celt Soundsystem is something else entirely than what I mean tho.

That simultaneously makes a lot of sense and no sense at all. I guess it's just like how "hardcore" refers to completely different subgenres of punk and techno.

Electronic music, why must you be so confusing?
  • DID SOMEONE SAY HARDCORE

• Hardcore + d'n'b is pretty much the best thing

Jaga Jazzist, jazz/d'n'b-ers–turned–post-post-rockers, are releasing a live album, on which they're backed by a symphony orchestra. I'm excited.

The setlist isn't what I would have chosen (no songs from A Livingroom Hush, and only one from The Stix? for shame), but if that video is any indication they're gonna be doing interesting stuff with the song arrangements anyway.