Heap of Tunes of the Heapers' Hangout Forum

Comments

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I should copypaste the rules for the IJBM version of this thread into the OP here, or we'll be drowning in a sea of context-free Youtube embeds.

• but liek

what is it

who or what is Rodriguez Jr.

minimal techno producer signed to Mobilee Records, which is run by Anja Schneider.
  • who's Anja Schneider?

she sounds exceedingly German.

• she sounds exceedingly German.

as befits a person who runs one of the best techno labels in Berlin.

She's kinda like Mike Paradinas in that she has impeccable taste and runs a label with consistently wonderful music by wonderful artists, but her own tunes are meh.

• I'll be very sad when Fast Eddie eventually nukes the So Bad It's Horrible pages.

(this song's actually a half-decent throwback to 90s house, until the monologue comes in...)
  • edited 2013-01-05 21:57:36
    My dreams exceed my real life

This is probably my favorite song from Aim and Ignite.
  • Hey guys, I assume some folks here know the whole post-dubstep landscape better than I do

what's a good album similar to Sbtrkt's self titled debut?

• does anyone here like TNGHT?

I think it's interesting that they're bringing instrumental hip-hop back, but on the other hand I find that some of their songs don't stand too well on their own.

Judge for yourself.

• Hey guys, I assume some folks here know the whole post-dubstep landscape better than I do

what's a good album similar to Sbtrkt's self titled debut?

I would recommend James Blake.

• Hm. What I've heard of his self-titled one was good.

• edited 2013-01-06 17:15:08
    Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    So how many people like Earth Wind and Fire and similar bands? They're the kinda stuff I wish you'd hear more often nowadays.

is best song
  • in what way? You want more ensemble funk on the radio?

• My dreams exceed my real life

Can someone help me out and tell me where the hell I recognize the beginning of this song from?
    Also I listened to Ziggy Stardust and I thought the first half of the album was forgettable, but the second half was really good.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit

in what way? You want more ensemble funk on the radio?

Well, yes, but I'd also like more of it to be made in general.

...There isn't some funk revival group I don't know about, is there?
  • I think you might call The Glow Skulls funk revival.

I think that's the name of the band anyway, they've got a bandcamp album out. Hold on.

• no I'm wrong.

dammit I know I found one the one day. 

• So how many people like Earth Wind and Fire and similar bands? They're the kinda stuff I wish you'd hear more often nowadays.

Me, Me, Me, Me, Me, ME, ME, ME!!!!!

<_<
    >_>
    Ahem......

In all seriousness though, I absolutely love Earth Wind and Fire. They're on of those bands that I grew up listening to as a kid because my parents listened to them. I've always leaned more towards the Motown influenced side of Soul/R&B rather than the funk influenced side, but EWF is one of my favorite bands of all time.

That's one thing I really dislike about modern oldies stations, the fact that they rarely if ever play any of the old Soul and Motown hits from back in the day.

Also, if you're looking for a good modern Soul album, check our Aloe Blacc's Good Things album. It's not as funky as Earth Wind and Fire's stuff is, but it's a great mix of Vintage Soul influences and modern R&B.

• edited 2013-01-07 14:41:41

I posted this in the main thread the other day, but now i am posting it here because it is an absolute fucking rolllllleeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

btw anyone else her besides me big on dnb? IIRC spacey is but i dunno about anyone else.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Odradek said:

Also I listened to Ziggy Stardust and I thought the first half of the album was forgettable, but the second half was really good.

But "Moonage Daydream"
  • every once in awhile I will google random lyrics I remember from songs I haven't heard in years and don't remember the titles of, today I did that just now and I'm really glad I did

the chorus > >

• a little slice of cross-rhythmic perfection

So I never knew this song was about Hitler.
  • i honestly havent been exploring new music as much this past year or so as i have in the past but im very glad i downloaded "Foreign Body" by Mirrorring because it has been a long time since a song has touched me as much as this one

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^ That is beautiful. Very tasteful use of reverb and slapback, too.

Hmm...

Taking a hard left swerve from gorgeous acoustic arpeggi to glistening electric clamour, I recently re-listened to some of Wire's '80s output, particularly the Snakedrill EP, and I must say that the production is better than I remembered it. Still pretty '80s—the early MIDI synth settings are especially iffy—but acceptably so, and with some very clever arrangements and innovative post-production effects. And all that aside, the songwriting still has moments of pure brilliance, with "'A Serious Of Snakes...'" being one of my favourites. It's an oblique, sarcasm-soaked diatribe about religious fundamentalism with some excellent one-liners and a fantastic build-up. Just listen:

The problem with parody like that is it implies that Pitchfork actually have that attitude toward popular or mainstream music. They are far less consistent than that. Thinking of themselves as tastemakers, they will write borderline hit pieces about certain albums as a show of force, but who they choose to single out for this treatment varies. Usually, they go after mid-sized artists rather than big ones, perhaps because they need to like a certain amount of all-out commercial material in order to fill their po-mo credentials and can't afford to offend the hipster base.

Granted, Tiny Mix Tapes can be pretty damn hipsterrific, and I like them. But there's a difference between being a snob and being a hack.
  • Pitchfork's reviews vary between excellently on-point, to ranty and whining, and completely bizarre and disjointed to the album they're reviewing (see their review for Captain Murphy's DuAlity, though I think their review of that one Radiohead album is probably the most infamous example).

• I know what I'm playing next plug.dj session

seriously, her voice is amazing.
  • edited 2013-01-27 16:29:14
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^^ On an individual level, they have some fine writers with interesting and thoughtful opinions; they also have some very inconsistent and/or egotistical hacks that think that their every opinion is gold. The problem is that who gets what assignment seems to be predicated on fashion and a desire to abuse the bully pulpit more than actual suitability.

In other words, the editors are hacks.
  • Naney said:
    This is one of the weird, disjointed reviews.

Some of them are really good though. I found their review of Cancer 4 Cure to be legitimately thought provoking.

^^^ On an individual level, they have some fine writers with interesting and thoughtful opinions; they also have some very inconsistent and/or egotistical hacks that think that their every opinion is gold. The problem is that who gets what assignment seems to be predicated on fashion and a desire to abuse the bully pulpit more than actual suitability.

In other words, the editors are hacks.
    This explains the inconsistency. I admit to not paying much attention to the names attached to each article.
  • edited 2013-01-27 16:32:12
    ^^^^ The two Scott Walker-penned tracks on Punishing Kiss are a delight.

^^ I told you about egos, man...
  • ^^^^ The two Scott Walker-penned tracks on Punishing Kiss are a delight.

^^ I told you about egos, man...
    Two?

(*The Google*)

Looks like I need to get the Japanese edition

also we need to drag you into one of our plug.dj sessions sometime.
    ^ I would love that.
  • we could have one later today maybe or something maybe if no-one is busy
  • I am currently working on a track.

If I'm done by then, I might drop a rough draft in for your listening pleasure/torment.

also Sredni you need to send me the songs that make up "Museum of Hollow Shapes" so I can funkify it.

• i feel like reposting this

Well, the way I heard it, the revered Mr Bailey was in his local corner shop, when in walked a street kid of about five or six, with a ghetto blaster larger than himself on one shoulder, roaring out something early and abrasive by Goldie or A Guy Called Gerald.

'Tell me, little fellow, what is this music you have on your tape recorder, here?'

'Get lost, Grandad, you ain't never gonna be into none of this stuff!' squeaked the chavling, unhelpfully.

Despite this, Mr B was not to be put off and eventually hooked up with DJ Ninj, via John Zorn and Napalm Death's Mick Harris. And the result is this, a record that no lover of Drum'n'Bass, improv or serious guitar music of any sort ought to be without.
    ^^ I will.

^ Coooool.
  • https://soundcloud.com/four-tet/0181-1

almost 40 minutes of free Four Tet if anyone wants it
    Danke schön.
    So, I'm still on the fence about Death Grips. On the one hand, they rely too hard on a fairly small number of repeated musical and lyrical ideas, some of which are simply not that interesting or which are executed in a questionable fashion; on the other hand, when they hit a stride...

The word I would use to describe this track is "Burroughsian," which is not something that I can say about a lot of music. This kind of debased, aggressive, alienated psychedelia doesn't come along too often, and it's a great pleasure to hear, at least for me.

Also, I'm going to make a quick aside and say that while Exmilitary is definitely a hip-hop record, I'm not sure if The Money Store is. This is not to indicate any purism on my part by any means, but... I don't think the paradigm's the same, I guess. It feels more like a hardcore record to me, maybe even a power violence or thrash metal album, not musically (mostly) but aesthetically.
  • DeathGrips are in the same vague experimental, hip-hop-rooted-but-not-quite-hip-hop territory as groups like cLOUDDEAD, dalek, or Thadius Beck. They're not easily pinnable to one genre or even more than one.

That said I don't actually like them too much. I think the only song by them I really enjoy is "I've Seen Footage", which swipes its general structure from Salt-n-Pepa's "Push It" of all places.

• that track is definitely great.

but it's like 1/2 the songs are un-sit-through able for me.
  • edited 2013-01-27 18:24:01
    ^^ "I've Seen Footage" is decent; "Hacker" is better.

^ For me, it's more like half of their songs are "eh." They have a lot of potential—Zack Hill's drumming skills are unparalleled in modern rock, their production is excellent, and MC Ride can pull of some impressive work when he wants to—but it feels like they're half-assing it most of the time, dwelling on concepts that just kind of go nowhere.
  • vashtar we are djinggggg