Things from the 2000s that already look dated

13»

Comments

• > that awkward moment when you liked Destiny's Child

> and still like Beyonce
  • edited 2012-11-30 19:50:36
    I mean

their biggest problem was just that they spoke in unison and repeated the same lines for like five minutes

and that was all of their songs
  • Yeah, I suppose that's a Thing they did.

Still. Considering Bey's stuff has improved without Kelly and Michelle (as has Kelly's, though she had to climb a bit higher; Michelle kinda just flew off from pop) I'd say that they might have just needed to hoof it solo from the get go.

Then again, not old enough to have remembered everything they put out, only their last two DC albums.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I'm fine with Beyonce.

I mean, some of her stuff is terrible, and she tends to come back to the same topics, but she has enough decent songs and she's a better role model than a lot of celebrities.
  • Beyonce is shiny in most of the pictures I've seen of her.

She literally glistens.
    Kexruct said:

Beyonce is shiny in most of the pictures I've seen of her.

She literally glistens.
    Clearly she is one of the lizard people.
  • Tre said:

Yeah, I suppose that's a Thing they did.

Still. Considering Bey's stuff has improved without Kelly and Michelle (as has Kelly's, though she had to climb a bit higher; Michelle kinda just flew off from pop) I'd say that they might have just needed to hoof it solo from the get go.

Then again, not old enough to have remembered everything they put out, only their last two DC albums.

I'm not going to tell you that you shouldn't like them.
    MY NAME IS MYRMIDON ODRADEK AND I LIKE FLO RIDA
  • Sounds fair enough.

Besides, I like Ke$ha, I'm not allowed to seriously discuss music. :P
  • Congratulations, your terrible taste in music means you enjoy more things.

Which is good.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Keep your standards low, then you won't be disappointed!

HAW HAW
  • KJIKJI
    Yeah... yeah!!! hell yeah!!!
    Every single store in Wildwood
  • When I was 8, NOT OLD - TWO DECADES AGO, I remember playing OUTSIDE with FRIENDS sometimes on FARMS and chasing HORSES, then being chased by horses, then chasing COWS, then being chased by cows.  I also faintly remember roller-blades, Sharky and George Cartoons, Skateboards and Mortal Kombat for the Sega Mega Drive and some dinosaur fighting game.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Pffft, who goes OUTSIDE anymore?
  • When I was 8, NOT OLD - TWO DECADES AGO, I remember playing OUTSIDE with FRIENDS sometimes on FARMS and chasing HORSES, then being chased by horses, then chasing COWS, then being chased by cows.  I also faintly remember roller-blades, Sharky and George Cartoons, Skateboards and Mortal Kombat for the Sega Mega Drive and some dinosaur fighting game.

We went to the store with a milk pail and had milk poured into it before returning it home.  We exchanged goods for food and drank from wooden mugs.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    WE LIVED IN A TIME BEFORE MONEY AND EVERYONE HAD TO BARTER GOODS AND SERVICES.
    Mortal Kombat? Oh yes, I remember. There was no judicial system so everything was settled through physical combat.
  • It was how my brothers and I settled real fights!
    FINISH HIM
  • obligatory shoehorned Skrillex reference

f-f-f-fight
  • edited 2012-11-30 23:29:31
    "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

When I was 8, NOT OLD - TWO DECADES AGO, I remember playing OUTSIDE with FRIENDS sometimes on FARMS and chasing HORSES, then being chased by horses, then chasing COWS, then being chased by cows.  I also faintly remember roller-blades, Sharky and George Cartoons, Skateboards and Mortal Kombat for the Sega Mega Drive and some dinosaur fighting game.

Aw, I wish I'd grown up on a farm. Mostly I played with friends in our long (380'), narrow backyard.

Oh, and that video game was Primal Rage: With a T. rex named Sauron and another named Gandalf Diablo who attacked with fire.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Fifteen years is probably around the point where things cease to become dated and become the object of nostalgia.  Then they become historical events around the 70 years mark.

Note that this is a bullshit rule that I just made up.
    So, stuff like the Vietnam War isn't historical yet?
  • edited 2012-11-30 23:28:11
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    No, it is an object of nostalgia and fond reminiscence.
  • Odradek said:

MY NAME IS MYRMIDON ODRADEK AND I LIKE FLO RIDA

Objectively speaking, Flo-Rida is actually a pretty good rapper in pretty much every area except content.

(*Sighs Fondly*)
    I love remembering the smell of napalm in the morning
  • edited 2012-12-01 01:25:44
    Y'know, things really haven't changed much since 2000.

Big-name games are still all 3D.
    The Republican Party is still aiming to outconservative itself and wreck the U.S. political system in the process.
    Too many consumer goods are still made of intended-to-be-disposable plastic, or presented in disposable plastic containers.
    The U.S. still hasn't joined any major international agreement regarding climate change mitigation commitments.
    Middle East geopolitics is still confusing as twice hell.
    I still have to jump through hoops to buy games without my parents knowing about it.
    And I'm still going to a school whose colors are green and gold.
    Also

pop music sucks
    TV sucks
    the end of the world is constantly predicted
    boobs are great
    windows sucks
  • Oh, right!

More stuff that's still the same:
    I'm not interested in any TV shows except for the news and anime.  (Almost...I've since developed a taste for Law & Order.)
    I possess very few fan-memorabilia items, but treasure them.
    I still feel nostalgia for when the world was a simpler place and all I had to worry about was waking up in time to catch the entire episode of Pokémon.
  • edited 2012-12-01 15:12:52
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    • Significant advances in 3D graphics technology.
    • Democratic party president elected for two successive terms, Tea Party moving into political relevance.
    • Growing green/environmentalist movement.
    • In Middle Eastern politics, numerous changes to leadership, popular uprisings and changes in Western involvement.
    • GMH presumably buying different games and attending a different school after all this time (?)
    • Declining interest in pop punk, post-punk, crunk, metalcore and R&B, increased popularity of electropop, folk rock, country, dubstep and trance. Growing international interest in K-pop and J-pop.
    • Digital switchover. Greater interest in 3D television. Reality TV boom experiencing fatigue, increase in mainstream science fiction. Growing intersection of Internet and television.
    • End of the world now almost a full 12 years closer.
    • Global increase in boobs proportional to population growth.
    • Horrific Vista upgrade issues. Growing mainstream adoption of open source operating systems probably not unrelated.
    And the world was never simple, you just got older.
    • Significant advances in 3D graphics technology.

That is true, and the quality of 3D graphics has improved significantly.

• Democratic party president elected for two successive terms, Tea Party moving into political relevance.

Very true.  A period of Republican dominance followed by rising hopes
    for the Dems.  Also, an increasingly polarized electorate, as the
    Repubs double down on the crazy.

• Growing green/environmentalist movement.

Perhaps more importantly, weather- and climate-based natural disasters are occurring more frequently.

• In Middle Eastern politics, numerous changes to leadership, popular uprisings and changes in Western involvement.

Definitely very true, and I admit to picking my words intentionally to get around that.

• GMH presumably buying different games and attending a different school after all this time (?)

Yes; it's just a coincidence that my current school has the same school colors.  (Or is it?)

• Declining
      interest in pop punk, post-punk, crunk, metalcore and R&B,
      increased popularity of electropop, folk rock, country, dubstep and
      trance. Growing international interest in K-pop and J-pop.

I was at an anime con recently and trying to find a J-pop stall. 
    Someone commented that it was all the rage a few years ago but now it's
    died down, and K-pop is all the rage (there was a huge K-pop stall and
    only a tiny J-pop stall).  I blame PSY and Gangnam Style.

• Digital
      switchover. Greater interest in 3D television. Reality TV boom
      experiencing fatigue, increase in mainstream science fiction. Growing
      intersection of Internet and television.

I don't watch television, and I am not wealthy enough of a consumer
    to care about 3D television.  Or even care about HD.  So this actually
    had little relevance to me.  On the other hand, I was definitely not
    much of an anime fan in 2000.  I was vaguely curious what the "Japanese
    Culture Society" at my high school was all about, and I picked up a MIDI
    of Misato's theme from Evangelion from their website, without knowing
    what it was.  The accompanying picture was of Asuka so I thought it was
    Asuka's theme, lol.

Oh yeah, that's another difference.  I didn't know of digital music
    formats other than MIDI, back then.  Then I discovered mp3s, and later,
    emulator music formats for videogame music.

• End of the world now almost a full 12 years closer.

Twenty more days, man.  Twenty more days.

• Global increase in boobs proportional to population growth.

• Horrific Vista upgrade issues. Growing mainstream adoption of open source operating systems probably not unrelated.
    And Windows 8 seems to be repeating history by being suck once again.

> And the world was never simple, you just got older.

I actually said that in 2000 I was feeling the same sort of nostalgia.

• Oh, yeah, Eurodance is also a sort of electronica thing that's from the 2000's and is dated.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

I was at an anime con recently and trying to find a J-pop stall.  Someone commented that it was all the rage a few years ago but now it's died down, and K-pop is all the rage (there was a huge K-pop stall and only a tiny J-pop stall).  I blame PSY and Gangnam Style.

You're probably right. I was talking more about the general trend, though; there has definitely been a growing interest in K-pop and J-pop over the last decade or so.

Hey don't look at me man, Imi brought them up!

And Windows 8 seems to be repeating history by being suck once again.

Point.

> And the world was never simple, you just got older.

I actually said that in 2000 I was feeling the same sort of nostalgia.

Ah, I parsed that incorrectly, my bad.
    FACEPALM ALL YOU WANT

*raises anti-facepalm shields*