Things from the 2000s that already look dated

Comments

• TreTre
    edited 2012-11-27 21:31:53
    It'll be vintage in six months!

(and here's the shirt again, cuz LOL NEW PAGE)

• ^^^If you spell "subtle" like this:

***SUBTLE***
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-11-27 21:31:45
    Indeed.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Wow, two easily-becoming-dated references on the same t-shirt. They went all out on this one!
  • It'll be vintage in six months!

(and here's the shirt again, cuz LOL NEW PAGE)

D8
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Crocs, popped collars, Burberry caps, YTMND, Pimp My Ride, rickrolling, silicone "awareness" bracelets, Death Note, Bleeding Cowboys, the return of shutter shades, the word "pwn".
  • I thought popped collars was an 80's thing.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    The revenge of the popped collar, then.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
  • Demotivational posters, too. Those things are soooooooo 2000s.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Look at that guy's head... of lettuce.
  • 2nd/3rd/4th generation Pokemon.

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    He looks like a young Zoolander. No amount of popped collars can fix that. :lol:

His girlfriend's cute, though.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Tools said:

3rd/4th generation Pokemon.

FTFY
  • Pokemon will never look dated
  • ^Nah, it's classic.

I always think phones look dated within a year.  Also, house-phones, the cordless type look SUPER dated to me.
  • I always think phones look dated within a year.  Also, house-phones, the cordless type look SUPER dated to me.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
  • Damnit Gilda.
  • I always think phones look dated within a year.
    Apple begs to differ, since they've been selling the same phone to folks for 2 and a half.
    Apple sell overpriced tat to naive people
  • I don't see how something that looks nice, is functional, and is apparently fairly durable falls under the classification of "tat"
    Apple's actual hardware is pretty durable...it's the accessories where they've had problems, especially PowerBook and MacBook chargers. That and I've never liked the idea of a non-user-serviceable battery, especially considering how lithium batteries have limited lifetimes just like lead-acid cells do.

I don't see how something that looks nice, is functional, and is apparently fairly durable falls under the classification of "tat"

Because its unnecessary and people buy it cus its shiny
    I dont like Apple.
  • I dont like Apple.

Wow, really?
    Kexruct said:

I dont like Apple.

Wow, really?
    Yeah

• I could never have guessed.
    Kexruct said:

I could never have guessed.

I know I know because I barely talk about my hate for Apple Inc.
  • Its unnecessary and people buy it cus its shiny

• also lazuli where are those images from, they are fantastic
  • > implying that there are things from the 2000s that look dated
  • also lazuli where are those images from, they are fantastic

knowyourmeme's page for the QUALITY meme.
    I'm reading that page now, and OMG I'M IN DERP HEAVEN
  • apple products: i dislike the market they try and live off as much as the company itself, and i mainly dislike the company because they spend their time hiring a massive legal squad and then suing anything that has an apple or the word 'apple' in their name/logo

also their stuff is undeniably overpriced. its like beats, yeah, youll get an alright thing, but you could get a better thing for less money if you werent so concerned about looking like a cool cat whos so unique and creative

that said Logic is the best music making thing ive used (in my admittedly fairly limited experience) so they have their good and bad points. i still like pcs. i would probably get an iphone if i actually were to use it but i generally just ignore the 'smart' functions of a smartphone and just continue using it like a standard phone

• The costs of a smartphone:
    1. Smartphones are, generally, more expensive than "dumb" phones that just have basic voice, texting, and maybe camera features.  (That said, there are some smartphones I can get with a 2-year-plan renewal.)
    2. Smartphones require a data plan.  Right now I don't do data on my cell phone plan.
    3. Smartphones often require more than just a data plan from the provider.  The provider often requires that you buy into a more expensive plan just for having a smartphone, even if you don't use its data functions.  Adding lines to a family plan also costs more if you're adding smartphones.

The benefits of a smartphone:
    1. GPS anywhere, when my car already has a GPS.
    2. E-mail and web browsing anywhere, when I'm already distracted enough by e-mail and web browsing.
    3. People can reach me more easily when we're trying to meet up, on the go.  (first unambiguous benefit)
    4. Various apps that would serve as extra toys.
    5. Ability to look up information on the go, without consulting a computer.  (second unambiguous benefit)
    anything else?

I'd say the costs outweigh the benefits.  The benefits are very marginal in their usefulness.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    E-mails is kinda important for jobs and such, though.

It's also nice to wake up in the morning, check my phone to see if any meetings have been canceled, and go back to bed for a bit if they have,

I also tend to find the GPS useful if I'm on a very long walk, but that could just be me.

I agree that they're a bit pricey, though. Still, my Smartphone is a very valuable tool for me.
  • E-mails are important, but I think I can get e-mail on a "dumb" phone too.  In fact, I might like to have a platform that has only e-mail and no other web content...

Portable GPS is useful if you do a lot of hiking or walking around in unfamiliar territory in general, which I don't do.  The walking that I do is back and forth between various academic buildings on campus, for what it's worth.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I tend not to use many smartphone-specific apps myself, but a lot of other tasks seem easier on a smartphone than on a "dumb" phone. I can read a decent amount of email at once instead of having a sentence or two squeezed into a tiny screen. I can add something my calendar by tapping the date I want, instead of having to fiddle through a bunch of menus and buttons to make a selection.

As for GPS, well, I don't have one in my car, so that can be useful if I ever get lost. Of course, I have pretty much all the major roads around here committed to memory, so it's only helpful if I go somewhere totally unfamiliar.

In fact, most of the time if I use my phone's GPS capabilities, it's for the much less common application of logging GPS traces to import and trace into OpenStreetMap later...I still have a few of the newer housing developments to hit...
  • edited 2012-11-30 00:20:43

> implying that there are things from the 2000s that look dated

Hi my name is Ebony Dark’ness Dementia Raven Way and I have long
    ebony black hair (that’s how I got my name) with purple streaks and red
    tips that reaches my mid-back and icy blue eyes like limpid tears and a
    lot of people tell me I look like Amy Lee (AN: if u don’t know who she
    is get da hell out of here!). I’m not related to Gerard Way but I wish I
    was because he’s a major fucking hottie. I’m a vampire but my teeth are
    straight and white. I have pale white skin. I’m also a witch, and I go
    to a magic school called Hogwarts in England where I’m in the seventh
    year (I’m seventeen). I’m a goth (in case you couldn’t tell) and I wear
    mostly black. I love Hot Topic and I buy all my clothes from there. For
    example today I was wearing a black corset with matching lace around it
    and a black leather miniskirt, pink fishnets and black combat boots. I
    was wearing black lipstick, white foundation, black eyeliner and red eye
    shadow. I was walking outside Hogwarts. It was snowing and raining so
    there was no sun, which I was very happy about. A lot of preps stared at
    me. I put up my middle finger at them.

...wow, "Bring Me to Life" came out in 2003. That was almost a decade ago. :(

Holy shit.

I was 8 a decade ago. I feel so old now!
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I was 8 like two decades ago. More, actually.

Time, She is merciless.
    When I was 8...

Furby was a new thing, and just as creepy as the relaunched ones are

The Powerpuff Girls got its own TV series after having aired a couple shorts

People couldn't shut the fuck up about Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky

There was a new Game Boy with a color screen...it was pretty cool

Also the iMac

...this stuff all sounds dated, but it's not from the 2000s so it doesn't count
  • When I was eight...

Music sucked. 
    That happens when everyone is 8, though
  • Like seriously.

But Destiny's Child? Seriously?