General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Can you savescum the arena in that game? I know you can in a couple other Fire Emblems.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    There are mid-map savepoints in this game, but only one or two per chapter. So yes, but not without limit.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Which Fire Emblem is the best?

The franchise is the work of Intelligent Systems so it's long interested me...
  • edited 2012-12-19 18:15:57
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Depends on who you ask. From what I've seen, popular choices are:

* the seventh game, Blazing Sword (or the GBA one that's just "Fire Emblem")
    * the ninth game, Path of Radiance
    * and the fourth game, Genealogy of the Holy War (which is Japan-only and can only be played via the crack roms)

Sacred Stones and Shadow Dragon are pretty fun and good for getting the hang of the game mechanics, but a lot of Fire Emblem fans don't seem to like them as much because their stories and characters aren't as fleshed-out.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Shadow Dragon was also a remake of a NES game, and consequently feels very basic and sparse in comparison to more recent titles, in spite of the addition of new features.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    This is true. The DS remake of its sequel is apparently a lot better, but sadly, it too can only be played via the crack roms.

Also, I'm on Chapter 8 now, and holy jeez I didn't know I could buy rapiers in this game! Must resist urge to buy five of them...
    Okay never mind, you can only buy one. That seems pretty reasonable, actually.
    I'm playing Sticker Star...

I'm not very far in and I'm already sick of the battle system. Having to stock up on attacks? Really?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    THEY WARNED YOU BRO

THEY WARNED YOU ABOUT STICKER STAR
    I know it :(
  • We now own a number of games due to Steam's Winter Sale. So much that we've forbidden ourselves from buying anything else unless it's less than five dollars.

What takes precedence is Fallout New Vegas. You folks were right; it is an improvement on Fallout 3 in a number of ways. Plot's a bit too good, to be honest. I got up to the part where the main plot splits into four, and I was stuck for a few hours because I couldn't decide on which path to take.

The companion quests, from what I've seen, are pretty good, Definitely an improvement from Mass Effect 2's formulaic formula. Sure, they're more difficult to activate--I've had four companions so far, and I've only done one of their quests--but they feel more realistic.
  • So, have $25 gamestop gift card. What can I get with it?
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    Yarrun said:

We now own a number of games due to Steam's Winter Sale. So much that we've forbidden ourselves from buying anything else unless it's less than five dollars.

What takes precedence is Fallout New Vegas. You folks were right; it is an improvement on Fallout 3 in a number of ways. Plot's a bit too good, to be honest. I got up to the part where the main plot splits into four, and I was stuck for a few hours because I couldn't decide on which path to take.

The companion quests, from what I've seen, are pretty good, Definitely an improvement from Mass Effect 2's formulaic formula. Sure, they're more difficult to activate--I've had four companions so far, and I've only done one of their quests--but they feel more realistic.

Ah, New Vegas. Yeah, it's basically got a fantastic plot. What faction did you end up siding with?

(Keep in mind, you can do quests for each faction until you get far enough in one faction's quests that you're locked out of the other faction's main quest line, or your reputation for a given faction gets too low.)
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    TitleName said:

So, have $25 gamestop gift card. What can I get with it?

What systems do you own (assuming you own any, if not, I suggest MtG cards)?
  • Wii, 360, PS2, DS, 3DS and PSP.

My wife has played the hell out of it seems every Final Fantasy game she can get for the PSP. 

Final Fantasy Tactics is always good if you don't have it.

Scribblenauts is tons of fun for the Nintendo systems... I don't play a ton of games I'm afraid, but I'm sure others here can suggest some good ones.
  • Ah, thanks. Already have FFT (Forgot about it though) and Scribblenauts.
  • Spacey said:

Yarrun said:

Ah, New Vegas. Yeah, it's basically got a fantastic plot. What faction did you end up siding with?

(Keep in mind, you can do quests for each faction until you get far enough in one faction's quests that you're locked out of the other faction's main quest line, or your reputation for a given faction gets too low.)
    I'm playing as a merchant/rogue who cares more about semi-fair business and reputation than power and factions. While he's more or less against the Legion (associating yourselves with mass-executioners tends to be bad for business), he has no intention of allying himself to a single faction, as that would limit the potential range of his business. So, he's going to ally himself with the NCR (the more reasonable faction) up to the critical point while he builds up his reputation among the various tribes; then, he'll assassinate House and set the end-game in motion.

Videogame roleplaying is a thing I do, as you can tell.
  • edited 2012-12-26 22:49:42
    i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    Here, some advice: max out speech and barter as soon as you can. They're the best noncombat skills, period.

My wife says Final Fantasy Crisis Core is also good, and said she heard that Tactics Ogre was good as well.

Apparently she is Square-Enix's bitch.
    I wish to play Final Fantasy sometime

Which ones are the best

(I'm interested partially because Square developed Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)
  • edited 2012-12-26 23:42:18
    Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    My humble opinion is that Final Fantasy 5 is the best, just because I like the simple, humorous plot and robust gameplay.

A lot of people will tell you 7. I would not recommend it.

A lot of people will also tell you 6. This is also a good'un.

Quite a number of people will speak positively about 4 and 9 as well. My opinions are pretty neutral on them.
  • edited 2012-12-26 23:42:18
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    All I know about VII is One Winged Angel, Cloud, Sephiroth and that Aeris dies

But VI has Kefka Palazzo, maybe I'll go with that one
    6 is a really good starting point, the story and gameplay hold up very well even today.

The GBA version has a better translation, but looses out on sound quality.
    The GBA isn't very good with SNES music, is it

Also I think I ship Koops/Vivian now

Is this bad
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The GBA isn't very good with music in general.
    Wave Master found a way to squeeze badass music out of it for the Sonic Advance games though

I like four and six.

I did enjoy Seven and Eight. Though, Eight is really if you want to micro manage the ever-living-fuck out of your party.
  • edited 2012-12-27 01:41:01
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

The GBA isn't very good with music in general.

That was one of the things that disappointed me most about playing old SNES games on my brother's GBA SP years ago...the sound is awful. It's like they bolted a PCM channel onto the original Game Boy design and said "Fare thee well"...
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The GBA version has a better translation, but looses out on sound quality.
    There's a app patch for that!

And yeah, FFVII hasn't aged gracefully.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Nine is worth getting.
  • edited 2012-12-27 11:03:31
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    No one has commented on 10 yet, I notice. Not a lot of people would recommend that.

From what little I've seen of it (namely the first third or so of NCS's Let's Play of it), it looks okay... if you're willing to put up with Tidus's mannerisms. But it's probably not the best FF game.

One thing I will say about it, though: I was pleasantly surprised by the normal battle theme. It's one of my favorites in the series.
    And as far as spinoffs go, Dissidia is an excellent fighting game, and Final Fantasy Tactics is brilliant.

i absolutely love Final Fantasy Tactics A2.
  • edited 2012-12-27 11:15:02
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-12-27 11:50:20
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Friday really enjoyed 6. 

Though, I think she likes 4 a bit better. 

To be fair to 6, though. 4 has been remastered and had more content added where 6 just has some FMVs added since it's SNES days.

And as far as spinoffs go, Dissidia is an excellent fighting game, and Final Fantasy Tactics is brilliant.

i absolutely love Final Fantasy Tactics A2.
    I didn't really warm to A2.
    I still prefer 5.

The plot is lighter, but the writing itself is quite witty and hilarious.

And the gameplay is just the absolute best.
    what is Faster than Light like?
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    Kickass space adventure. Here, look at this video.

• re:Final Fantasy

I haven't played many, but Final Fantasy X was the only one I really got into. The whole "main hero is a brat" thing isn't as big of a problem as people made it out to be because that was the entire point. Also, FFX has this guy:
  • I will fully admit that X was my first one and I don't really think it's a terrible game. I thought it was decent. Still prefer V and VI though.
  • edited 2012-12-27 23:04:41
    You mean the Sphere Grid, right? Yeah, that looked pretty interesting. I kinda like how everyone's "classes" tied into each other eventually.
    Yeah, the sphere grid is actually a totally brilliant system.

And I love it when games let you switch party members in battle with no penalty whatsoever. It helps with the strategy a lot.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. Odd but it's a dream come true. :3
  • I really need to play more of both those series. I've only played Devil Survivor 2 from SMT and I haven't played any Fire Emblem games.