General Video Game Thread

Comments

• BeeBee
    edited 2015-10-17 22:39:17
    I have like four challenge puzzles left in Layton and the Miracle Mask.

Fuck this stupid penguin emperor.  I can get any other penguin on the throne tile except him.  Just fucking crown them, and boot the old one off the floe yelling viva la revolucion.

I've done all the other available ones so it's literally the only thing left to unlock the last room.  >:(
  • And done.  Just a bunch of daily puzzles left, which aren't that difficult.

Brutal sliding block puzzle right before the end, but the last few challenges were mostly not that bad.  It was just Totally Not Rarity's room that had all the ballbusters.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    I may be getting a racing wheel so I can finally play rFactor the right way
  • my philosophy in a nutshell right there
  • Zeether said:

I may be getting a racing wheel so I can finally play rFactor the right way

Racing wheels are for playing TF2.

[/reference]
  • Ich bin ein jelly doughnut

Tiny said:

my philosophy in a nutshell right there

related: i started playing Insurgency because I hate myself, and i'm downloading counter-strike because i hate people who play insurgency (and insurgency does some weird shit for "authenticity" that I don't like).

zeether, play tribes with me, please

• meanwhile TF2 continues to be the only FPS i play
    glenn, play tribes with me, please
  • i haven't learned to play another FPS game and it'll take me forever to learn the gamesense and i'm shit at aiming
    It's hard, but the manual-ness of everything is what makes it fun! Besides, as a properly-designed big-team-game, you can flounder around your base/the enemy base and that'll generally be helpful regardless.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    It took adventure games a bizarrely long time to realize bullshit deaths and unwinnable scenarios were bad ideas.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    Which Tribes

I played the original once so I'd gladly play it again
    Ascend. It's been getting a bunch of sweet updates, including 100%-inheritance Spinfusors for every class.
    Oh yeah I forgot it was getting updated
    Okay I'm installing Ascend again
    :3
  • edited 2015-10-19 20:05:02
    Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    Just installed Gunpoint (someone bought it for me on steam a while back). It's a million years old by industry standards but it's a lot of fun. I also appreciate that the humour isn't Internet Standard.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Gunpoint is a good game. Nicely challenging and actually made me giggle a fair bit.
    I played Ascend and got a blue plate special on my first kill 
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-10-20 05:54:39
    Metroid Prime minimalist hypermode run: on Omega Pirate.

Four deaths against the 4x ice troopers right outside the dynamo save room, and none after that despite the metroids' best efforts to drop absolutely nothing throughout the quarantine.  I had to farm the room outside the final save point for power bombs.

Six thus far to the big guy himself.  His armor phase is pretty trivial once you realize there's enough room around the far back phazon pool to circle-kite him around it without risk of backing into anything, and that his leg armor seems to never get hit by charged shots of any sort but uncharged plasma is good enough.  But power bombs are pretty much the only way to bring down his minions quick enough to do any damage and/or survive at all.  You only get four, need at least six, and drops are not kind.  If you're out, you pretty much have to just run away screaming, wait for him to come back and shockwave them all to death, and hope they drop more.

Oh, and his cannons are instant death.  Because of course they are.

Total deaths: 40
    Accidental upgrade restarts: 3
    Zeether said:

I played Ascend and got a blue plate special on my first kill 

nice.
  • I didn't get to waste enough time just doing stuff with [character] to feel the emotional gut-punch from having to fight [character].
  • I didn't get to waste enough time just doing stuff with [character] to feel the emotional gut-punch from having to fight [character].

Sometimes games are just too big for their own good. I'd rather have a smaller cast of characters that have more individual bearing on the plot and character interactions, especially given the increased likelihood of conflicts between characters that care deeply for one-another. The tragic showdown is probably my favourite kind of conflict, and they make for excellent boss battles from a narrative point of view. Nail the combat mechanics and you'll have a boss fight most people will never forget. 
  • edited 2015-10-20 16:22:25
    FYI this was actually about timing; the cast size was appropriate

(this was about Milla in Freedom Planet)

wait, what the heck, Alex?  Why are you here?
  • life is strange, episode 5 report: everything is fine and there are no tears

LEAVE | HUG made me laugh a bit too much though, enough  so that I was really disappointed when I chose the former option and it wasn't just "ok, bye to your stupid face and timeline"
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    ~ said:

life is strange, episode 5 report: everything is fine and there are no tears

LEAVE | HUG made me laugh a bit too much though, enough  so that I was really disappointed when I chose the former option and it wasn't just "ok, bye to your stupid face and timeline"
    I just finished the game this minute, got a bunch of junk that I wanna write up on Episode 5, so.
    Ok, so, Life is Strange. (Warning, Madoka spoilers and analogies.)

So. I let Arcadia Bay burn. And here's why.

Throughout the game, Max is nothing but selfless, regardless of any consequences. She overexerts herself repeatedly, and puts her own life in danger multiple times, simply to help Chloe and other people. And in return she gets dragged deeper and deeper into serious trouble. In essence, she's Madoka if she was the one with time travel powers instead of Homura.

Meanwhile, we've got Chloe, who absolutely cannot catch a break. Her entire life has been a complete and utter wreck, with a pile of disasters that keeps on growing, and who had nobody to rely on since everybody she cares about has a tendency to go missing. And to top that off with "Oh, hey, now you've got to die, too!" is just a little unfair.

Basically, it's the Homura school of thought. I wanted both of them to have something good happen to them, just this once. For Max to actually think of herself for a change, and for Chloe's entire life not boil down to "Life sucks, and then you die." And if the town had to go for that to happen? So be it. And besides. Time travel was the cause of the giant murder tornado in the first place. So why rock the boat anymore? Who knows what would happen next? The tornado eating America instead? Nah. No more messing around with that.

No regrets.

Course, this all applies to my own playthrough, since realistically, you could always play as Max Caulfield, Super Jerk, so.
    Also: Mad about the awful bug where there's no option to punch Jefferson.
  • wait, what the heck, Alex?  Why are you here?

He goes hither and wither they say, cloaked in grey. 
    Hey, guy.

also, I didn't mention it earlier but Gunpoint's soundtrack fuckin' rocks.

Remember: if you decide to take the lethal option at the end, you can keep punching him as long as you need to

i just finished the game. No kills run, felt pretty good about managing that. I fucked up with a decision (it was only after I opened the laptop in Intex's base that I realized that Rooke probably had her friend killed rather than committing suicide; thus me agreeing to pin her husband was weighted by DECEPTION!!!) because I finished this game at like 6AM and I think that cost me a Best End.

Iunno if I'll play again. I kinda like the idea of having made decisions once and stuff. Plus I'd have to play through the whole thing making similar decisions and Iunno.
    Knowing of that one Texan prison with a record of "suspicious suicides" gave me that idea.

Basically if I were to do this again I'd do the same stuff but I'd go with the husband and hopefully that'd tell me if Rooke killed her or not. I don't know if I wanna put in that much time to replay all those levels I already finished with A+ ratings...
  • edited 2015-10-21 16:25:10
    It's a noir game, of course there'd be more deca-crossing involved in that. Which is also why I dunno if I wanna play the game again!!
  • Ladies and Gentlemen, the Atari Jaguar:
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    oh man it's Star Fox
  • The Jaguar still has one of the least practical controllers I've ever seen:

Like they started with a Genesis controller and then cut up a phone and slapped it on there.
  • oh man it's Star Fox

I think you mean Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I mean some piece of shit nobody bought. Do The Math my arse.
  • ~ said:

The Jaguar still has one of the least practical controllers I've ever seen:

Like they started with a Genesis controller and then cut up a phone and slapped it on there.
    this made me cry
    Do The Math
    ~ said:

The Jaguar still has one of the least practical controllers I've ever seen:

Lmao. It's like that old (commodore?) controller that was a phone pad and a dial, except worse.
    Dunno if this should go in this thread or another, but.

Venezuela is really not doing well. It's weird to care about this sort of thing a lot because now I have a whole team of faces to that fact.

I really hope things don't get too awful over there.
  • edited 2015-10-21 22:11:25
    Check the latter links. I should have just said it outright; the VA-11 HALL-A TEAM lives there, and having faces to that problem makes it affect me more.

Caring about games made me care about game development, and now it's turned something international into something more personal.