General Video Game Thread

Comments

• somebody explained this to me today

like...this is something people will actually do?

it's a mobile game that will likely be terrible.
  • anyone here playing Path of Exile lately?

playing for the first time since the expansion came out and so much stuff has been added
  • the general reception to The Beginner's Guide (the new game from The Stanley Parable guy, which I'm sure he's sick of being referred to as by now) is that it's not as good as the latter.

I haven't played it, and indeed, I won't, but the reasons being given kind of bother me? It's apparently not as "clever". What does that mean?

I am tempted to read in narratives here about a guy making something deeply meta and sarcastic and occasionally cruel gets praised for it and then gets slammed when he tries to make something genuine and honest, but, well, I'm not sure that that's the case.

idk
  • And we continue to wait for the Pokemon MMO

I dunno why this is such a common thing to come up, at least if we're talking, like, WOW-style MMOs. Environmental exploration, quests, and social stuff beyond tournaments and such has never been Pokemon's strong suit and I'm not sure how it would adapt to an MMO.

Say we focus in on any one of those things I mentioned, though, and added that to the Pokemon formula, I think you could get Good Stuff out of that. Like, exploration + Pokemon = Pokemon open world game. Neat! Social stuff + Pokemon = Pokemon GO, which looks like it could be really good.

I'm tired, apologies for incoherence.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I also honestly do not want to play a Pokemon MMO.

The best thing about Pokemon is honestly the low-involvement and the ability to do things at your own speed. An augmented reality where you just grab a few Pokemon during your commute seems like the next logical step.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i think Pokémon and exploration go together very well, in that there could stand to be a lot more exploration in the games, and when it is diminished (as in Colosseum) its absence is extremely conspicuous

so basically seconding the neatness of Pokémon open world game idea

+ social stuff could be even better if implemented right

kinda apprehensive about GO tho cuz iirc Game Freak aren't actually involved?
  • I think part of the problem is that people want very different things out of Pokemon as a franchise.

I think that its tonal idealism is a huge part of it.

Something about Pokemon Go as a concept just feels very cold and corporate to me, and maybe that's not a "grounded" criticism, but it is how I feel.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Eh, to me Pokemon is the very epitome of "cold" and "corporate." It's roots have a rustic charm, but that's been polished out over the years.

I think part of the problem is that people want very different things out of Pokemon as a franchise.

getting that impression

like what i want out of it is evidently a lot different from what Mach wants out of it, as a case in point
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I remember seeing this way back in the day and not knowing how to feel about it. For me, alongside what Mach said, part of the draw is that I don't have to interact with anyone whatsoever. Very appreciated. Not that that's mutually exclusive with MMO(RPG) stuff - used to play them also back in the day - since I could just do what I did for some time, which is turning off every chat thing and putting on music, but I don't know. Just strikes me, personally, as inherently off.
    I'm not even that big a Pokemon fan, I've never actually finished any of the games.

But if there's a software that lets me catch monsters by using metadata in the real world? I'll definitely try that.
  • edited 2015-10-03 12:22:53
    OpAPHID said:

i think Pokémon and exploration go together very well, in that there could stand to be a lot more exploration in the games, and when it is diminished (as in Colosseum) its absence is extremely conspicuous

I appreciated the focus of Colosseum. It's essentially a canon challenge run.

Honestly I'd like to see a Pokémon game be more conducive to that kind of thing. Having involved stories makes for nice marketing (get to have extra news coverage when you unveil the new villain team, new villain leader, their goals, etc.) and less cynically there are probably other benefits (given the usual quality of Pokémon stories though I'm at a loss) but I think it takes away from a lot of the stuff that makes Pokémon games fun in the long term, like competitive play and Nuzlocke runs and stuff.
  • There's been that though, this concept has existed since at least the late 90s.

God what was that thing that let you scan barcodes and get monsters from them? Remember that thing?

I have not thought about that in quite possibly 15-17 years and doing so now is a very weird experience.
  • Tucker said:

OpAPHID said:

Honestly I'd like to see a Pokémon game be more conducive to that kind of thing. Having involved stories makes for nice marketing (get to have extra news coverage when you unveil the new villain team, new villain leader, their goals, etc.) and less cynically there are probably other benefits (given the usual quality of Pokémon stories though I'm at a loss) but I think it takes away from a lot of the stuff that makes Pokémon games fun in the long term, like competitive play and Nuzlocke runs and stuff.
    see I think all of this just proves my point, because I find all of that horrifically boring. 
  • Skannerz Commanderz, substitute k's and z's where I might have forgotten them.

The world (or at least me, dammit) needs another thing like that, but done well. I hope Pokémon Go fills that void.
  • And I knew that off the top of my head because I really, really like this style of gameplay but very few things have done it.
  • Honestly I last played with those things so long ago that I remember almost nothing about them.

One was like a diamond monster of some kind?

Also this is the saddest "related searches" pages I've seen for any toy ever.

there is like a small group of people out there who are SO DESPERATE for Skannerz and they just can't get them.
  • I feel like someone with enough money and enterprise could probably buy the copyright for those on the cheap and launch a Kickstarter to revive the series.
    But a Skannerz device isn't my phone.
  • I think it's a good idea, just not for Pokemon.
    Tucker said:

OpAPHID said:

i'm kinda the same as Jane on this, albeit much less vehemently

Colosseum was interesting to me, but what was most interesting about it was that we got to explore the Pokémon world from a different perspective - from the criminal/underworld kinda POV rather than the some-kid-with-a-hat-who-takes-down-entire-gangs POV we usually get

same basic elements, but different kind of story, you know?
  • clearly GameFreak should just make two Pokemon games every genera-hey wait a minute.
    MachSpeed said:

But a Skannerz device isn't my phone.

this kinda reminded me of that one Extra Credits about the future of the console market

it bugged me, although i know they're quite correct

games being mainly played on an ubiquitous portable device that everyone is already using, that has obvious appeal

except that i'm not using it, and in no hurry to replace my old flip phone which is after all a perfectly good phone
  • edited 2015-10-03 12:34:37
    ^^^Yeah I really like that.

Pokémon could fit well in a lot of genres because its basic gameplay is really. fucking. good. but it's sorta stuck in quite possibly the least interesting possible incarnation of itself. It's bizarre.
    I would honestly rather have a flip phone with internet access than this screen thing.
  • I am fairly confident that consoles are not going anywhere any time soon.

Nor PC gaming. 

If I had a nickel for every time someone doomsayed about the death of PC gaming because cheap computers / mobile phones / consoles / bad games / the Call of Duty series / Gabe Newell was going to personally put a stake in its heart, I'd be a rich woman.
  • I wouldn't call it doomsaying, more like predicting a reincarnation, give or take financial disaster for at least a company or two.
  • I don't realistically see how PC gaming could go anywhere.

For much the same reasons as mobile actually, it's very convinient. You're already at your computer to do other things.
    they weren't predicting the death of PC gaming as such

or even really the death of consoles, though iirc they said after maybe 2 gens consoles are going to probably drop outside the mainstream or else change significantly

hang on, i'll find the video, that'd be better than my half-remembered, garbled commentary on it
  • I'm not willing to watch an Extra Credits video....well, most of the time, but especially not at 8:30 in the morning after having not slept.

I was speaking more on a general trend really.
    fair

but here it is, if anyone's interested

going back to Pokémon

one thing that always bothered me when i was younger was, whenever friends came around and wanted to play video games, they almost always wanted to play Pokémon Stadium (or Stadium 2)

and i never got why, because to me it was the least interesting multiplayer game we owned, and lacked everything that made Pokémon interesting

you're just sat there in a menu screen, choosing options until one of you wins

none of the exploration and discovery that made the handheld games fun to me, nor any of the frantic multiplayer action of Mario Kart or Smash
    they're not even 'your' Pokémon, unless you transfer your party from one of the handheld games, in which case you win pretty much by default providing they're leveled enough

which takes away the other aspect that made it fun, having a team of Pokémon that you chose and customized yourself
  • Relatedly,

Battling in the Pokémon universe is something given proper context and any unfortunate implications are things you'd have to be REEEEALLY reaching for. Everyone jokes about the cockfighting parallels but with even the slightest examination of the series those fall apart.

Stuff like squirreling away rares, "collecting" Pokemon, shiny breeding, and Pokémon rental, though? Yeah, those are Problematic.
    i don't see how they're "Problematic" in any way that battling isn't
    like i'm not even really sure how some of those things are supposed to be Problematic
    i just realized i don't actually care and i'm just getting defensive about a video game
    No see, the actual "problematic" part is when you catch the gods.
  • OpAPHID said:

like i'm not even really sure how some of those things are supposed to be Problematic

They aren't properly contextualized the way battling is.

Within the context of the series battling is essentially a ritual, and a synthesis of performance, sport, self expression, expression of trust, and when necessary a form of self defense. Use of Pokémon in a strictly offensive manner is thoroughly condemned by the literal text and the gameplay is abstract enough to where the player can assume that even if they are fighting for the sake of fighting, their player character isn't.

The notion of collecting Pokémon and never interacting with them is obviously, ah, odd, and the games never address this and yet still encourage it through the focus on, as it were, catching them all. Similar stuff with selective breeding and trading.
    i guess

it's so abstracted an experience that it doesn't feel that way, though

i found it kind of interesting how Twitch mourned released Pokémon as though they had died, even though this is explicitly contradicted by the text
  • edited 2015-10-03 13:07:57
    It's a major focus of the game and it's never addressed in dialogue. It's bizarre. And all the games would have to do is, like, say that captured Pokémon return to their natural habitat when placed in the PC but can be summoned by the player. Or something. Otherwise it just feels kind of disconcerting.
    they did address that in the cartoon, of course
  • OpAPHID said:

i guess

it's so abstracted an experience that it doesn't feel that way, though

i found it kind of interesting how Twitch mourned released Pokémon as though they had died, even though this is explicitly contradicted by the text

Someone never saw the Butterfree episode.

Alternately, SOMEONE HAS NO SOUL.
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-10-03 20:51:25

If I have a problem with the Pokemon series today, it is Game Freak's "two steps forward, one step back" approach to the games. Back in the day that took the form of flipflopping between animated and non-animated sprites. Today I think you mostly see it in how stuff like gym leader rematches are available in the deluxe third version of a generation and then nonexistent or much more restricted in the first games of the next generation for seemingly no reason.

I feel like taking away features can be even more frustrating when it means having a very limited postgame in the first games of a generation because the cool postgame stuff added in the last game was taken out and will not be replaced until the third version gets released.

My personal pet peeve was the decision to go from the Pokemon World Tournament's system of unlocking stuff through cumulative wins back to the streak system in the Battle Maison. I just do not find having a winning streak ended and then having to go back and start over from square one very fun. It sort of makes me feel like I am just wasting my time and makes it much harder to have success with your favorite Pokemon, I think.
    Tucker said:

OpAPHID said:

I liked Colosseum and XD, partly for the reasons that you mentioned. Mostly, I just would like Game Freak to take more risks with stuff. Over time I am starting to appreciate the Generation V games more and more because they did just that with the story. It was not incredibly groundbreaking, sure, but it seems to me like even small departures like that can help spice up the Pokemon series and make it much less formulaic.
  • Thank yoooooou that two steps forward, one step back thing is something I've totally noticed I'm glad you put it into words.
  • it is very strange

it's like a weird inverse feature creep
  • Tucker said:

Thank yoooooou that two steps forward, one step back thing is something I've totally noticed I'm glad you put it into words.

No problem, as you could probably tell from that last post, it is something that has been bugging me for a while too.

Given that trainer customization did not come back for ORAS, I am starting to worry a bit that Game Freak might consider it a Kalos exclusive feature because Kalos is the land of fashion or something (that possibility would not have crossed my mind if I had not heard it on Bulbagarden a while back). I really hope not, because it is something that many Pokemon fans have been clamoring for and that I personally enjoy a lot.