Okay, can I just have some consensus on this?

edited 2012-09-01 19:40:48 in General

After arguing with  Lumine   Frosty over it, I reached the conclusion that I can only get closure on this issue by polling the heapers.

So, I have a question.

Obviously we are not all American. I was wondering, when referring to Association Football and American football, do you prefer:

A. Association football is "soccer" and American football is just "football."

B. Association football is just "football" and American football is referred to as American football.

C. Association football is "soccer" and American football is referred to as American Football.

Comments

• edited 2012-08-31 00:29:06
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    A is what I'm used to...

(I moved this to General; Site Talk is for issues pertaining to the site itself, not to the users.)
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    A or C depending who I talk to.

I just go with Soccer and Football instead.
  • A, in my case. Because I'm a dumb American.

That, by the way, was only a half joke.
  • There's no need to feel guilty about it.
  • lol who cares.

"Football" is that thing I hurt guys with. ;)
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Its B
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I live in an American city dominated by college football fanatacism, so 99% of the time I go with A, because that's what's understood.

That said, I always thought calling association football "football" made more sense, because there seems to be much more foot-ball contact involved than in American football.
  • edited 2012-09-01 17:54:35
    Yeah, I usually just use A because most people I know say that. Though, with some of the exchange students, I use B.

What I'd like to know, is how exactly American football got to be called "football" in the first place. Considering, if I was naming it on basic naming principles, that's not the title I would probably come up with.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    IIRC its called Football because there are 11 players on field, like Association Football.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I'm yet another one of us who normally uses A, but I definitely wouldn't be opposed to using B around people who are more used to that.

Somewhat relatedly, I've seen a couple children's shows where characters who are supposed to be Brits say "soccer." That kind of irks me.
  • edited 2012-09-01 18:00:38
  • The sadness will last forever.
    A
  • Frosty said:

*complains about writers not doing their research, which is this really bad and unfortunate problem that plagues many forms of writing*

FTFY
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Honestly, in this case, I'd say it's partly because the writers assume the target audience would never be able to understand such concepts as people from other countries using different names for things. Which is also an unfortunate problem.
  • edited 2012-09-01 20:14:14
  • edited 2012-09-01 20:14:42
    ^^That's why you have the character explain the difference to help kids get the concept.

Which I've some times seen in kids shows.
  • edited 2012-09-02 02:15:56
    As someone who's been on Earth for a very long time, I'm telling you "B" is more widely accepted. That's my choice. Either way, names are useless in the afterlife.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    The defining US Army vs US Navy/Marines game is over American Football, therefore it is A because we have the most guns
  • Is a football really a ball?

That's my question here. Thing's not even remotely spherical.

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I would say C. Because, for practicality's sake, C causes the least confusion between nationalities. Hell, maybe even call it "European Football" and "American Football".

Is a football really a ball?

I normally don't ever reveal these things but this is the exact subject of the next 11.975MHz comic. Deco tests this very theory. 
  • But it's also called Football in south america.

Is a football really a ball?

I normally don't ever reveal these things but this is the exact subject of the next 11.975MHz comic. Deco tests this very theory. 
    Well you know what they say about strange minds.
  • Association Football, then.
  • Frosty said:

We are all going to do exactly what we want, since this poll has exactly zero say in the matter. :D

• edited 2012-09-03 13:05:14
    Then maybe one of the Admins could post a notice that's like "To prevent confusion say this."
    To prevent confusion say this: Dicks and dongs all day long
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

I would say C. Because, for practicality's sake, C causes the least confusion between nationalities.

I tend to default to this online in the interest of clarity (though not to "European Football" because it's not just European and nobody calls it that).  IRL, always B, because calling it "soccer" around here makes you sound like a tool, unless you're foreign.

Kex, why do you want a rule on this?
  •  

Fouria G said:

calling it "soccer" around here makes you sound like a tool, unless you're foreign.

And that, I find upsetting.
    Why?
  • Because it's just a word and not all that important.
  • so it's like a dude says soccer and then all of a sudden

• Frosty said:

What if you started referring to every girl you meet as a "broad" or something? That is just a word but you would not sound so cool if you did this.

grab a fedora call them dames
  • But it's different. "Broad" is an insult. If, say, a culture was such that soccer is an awful insult, then it would be important. But as it stands, it's just a different way of saying the same thing. In fact, if I recall correctly, the name soccer came as a result of not wanting confusion between Association Football and American Football.
    Yeah but nobody says "soccer" here, so it'd be a pointless affectation, like saying "Pay attention to me, for I am a pretentious twat".

If you're American, that's different, because then it's the normal word you'd use.
  • Like, I wouldn't mind if someone insisted on calling it football. But if they did so because they find the name "superior" that  would bother me.

• It amuses me that people would affect American-ness in order to be pretentious.
  • affect, effect, they only mean totally different things
  • and affect is the correct one in this case
  • protip: google it before you correct someone