Book book book

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    So basically, a complementary volume to the Big Book of Horrible Things.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    The Big Book of Horrible Things sounded like a more analytical and scientific view of atrocities with a slightly humors bent, wares Badass reads like a Cracked article where the writer took a line of cocaine before he started typing.
    I don't see how that contradicts my statement
  • edited 2013-07-29 14:52:06
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I suppose not, I'm just hoping The Big Book of Horrible Things is better written.

• I remember thinking that the Badass book is pretty fun, but I've decided against buying it, as the same info can be found on a web-site

I got it a thrift store for $2, so it wasn't a huge investment or anything.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

I saw this in Barnes & Noble today.

That's right: Star Wars in iambic pentameter with woodcuts.

• i have heard many horrible things about that book
  • edited 2013-09-07 19:08:23
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The great science fiction writer Frederick Pohl died earlier this week. He was ninety-three years old; in 2009, he won a Hugo Award for his blog on recent developments in speculative fiction and basically everything else. Yes, a man that first published when Lovecraft was alive had a blog, and it managed to win a Hugo Award. Because Frederick Pohl was just that kind of guy.
    Hm. I did not know that.
  • In other news, I am absolute garbage and can barely read anything jeez W&P is taking forever.
  • edited 2013-09-07 19:18:01
    It's War & Peace. My dad says that it only really gets good over one hundred pages in. It's not an easy read even if you are erudite.
  • edited 2013-09-07 19:22:11

i recently came to the horrible realisation that, over the summer, i only read one book

i did read a boatload of short stories and also some poetry, but still
  • Well yeah but I've had it since like March. I could literally have read five pages a day and would've been finished by now.
  • you seriously have to read War & Peace for something?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Sometimes you just read stuff because you're curious.
  • Sometimes you just read stuff because you're curious.

Yeah, just this. I'd like to be able to say I've read W&P.
    Did that a number of times. I'd say it paid off with Ulysses, Gravity's Rainbow, and Dhalgren, at least.
  • edited 2013-09-07 19:36:14
    I really want to read more of Samuel Delaney's work. It looks very interesting.
    Finnegans Wake I'm not sure about...
    I've read parts of Finnegans Wake before. It's a trip. People talk about stuff being too clever for its own good, but Joyce kind of reached a new level in that noble pursuit.
    I'm convinced that there's some kind of, I dunno, non-standard way of reading you're supposed to apply to it but I'm not sure what it is.
  • edited 2013-09-07 20:20:06
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Alas, only its author has any clue what that book is about. And he is dead.
    He died too soon, wasn't even 60. I feel like he would've cleared up some mysteries if he'd lived longer. Alas.
  • edited 2013-09-07 20:22:35
    ^^^ Remember that everything is a pun or a play or words and you'll be able to puzzle out some meaning from it.
  • I'm convinced that there's some kind of, I dunno, non-standard way of reading you're supposed to apply to it but I'm not sure what it is.

There's a website with thorough annotations for every line of the book that elucidates one of many explanations for various things in the book. Said annotations nearly double the number of pages.
  • also I have compared Aesop Rock to James Joyce before. Said comparison has made people angry in the past.
  • edited 2013-09-07 20:25:13

I'm convinced that there's some kind of, I dunno, non-standard way of reading you're supposed to apply to it but I'm not sure what it is.

There's a website with thorough annotations for every line of the book that elucidates one of many explanations for various things in the book. Said annotations nearly double the number of pages.
    Reminds me of Roland Barthes' S/Z, which is a book-long exegesis on Honoré de Balzac's short story "Sarrasine".
  • edited 2013-09-07 20:28:24
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I actually have the Annotations to Finnegans Wake book. It's the same number of pages as the actual book but each page is twice as large. Big freakin' thing.

Samuel Beckett's essay on it (Dante... Bruno. Vico.. Joyce) suggests some kind of alternate reading method, I think. I should look at that again.

I'm trying to read more Badass, but it's like someone giving you a candy-bar as a present and they warped the damn thing in salty-lemon juice soaked barbed wire.
  • edited 2013-09-27 21:18:20
    ^^ Again, think of it like one big language game and just go with the flow. The story isn't going to make too much sense—Joseph Campbell boiled it down to basically being a shaggy dog story about a farmer's son in a village in Ireland—but the ride should at least be entertaining.

^ Youch.
  • kill living beings
    i should read fiction again sometime. muscles are getting old. and muscley. but fly flight is just so interesting

stay out in the cold
    That was a little prose poem, I guess.

Anyway, I finished Tropic of Cancer which had quite a beautiful ending; now it's on to Richard Brautigan's Trout Fishing in America which looks like it'll be fun.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i picked up a couple Dresden Files books cheap today

only problem is, they're not the first two books

can they be enjoyed out of sequence, or should i start from the beginning?
  • they can be enjoyed out of sequence, but depending on what ones they are there may or may not be spoilers
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The beginning is kinda important. Just be warned that the series doesn't really pick up before book 3. Storm Front and Fool Moon are decent, but not great.
    ok, thanks

i'm not especially fussed about spoilers, so i won't worry about that

(they're Dead Beat and Blood Rites)
    Yeah, you definitely don't want to read those first. Blood Rites is 6, and Dead Beat is 7. Some very important stuff happens in the earlier books.
    how important?

(i ask because i already have more books than i know where to put them, i picked these up cheap, and you just said the first two aren't that great)
  • edited 2013-11-25 15:00:35
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Each book builds on the others as the series goes on, introducing a bunch of major players in the overarching plot. 1 and 2 introduce some plot points that become important later, too. (Prior to book 3, it was more episodic. Once it hit 3, it started becoming a massive metathing.) You could feasibly start with , but you'd have to go back to 1 and 2 eventually for reasons. Although 2 does introduce some major characters that show up in pretty much all the books.
    i see

i guess what i'm really asking is, are they like, say, Cornwell's Scarpetta novels, where new characters get introduced over time and there's a loose continuity but each book is its own standalone story, or are they more of a saga akin to, say, A Song of Ice and Fire?
    At this point? The continuity is pretty damned strong. In particular, the really late books would make far less sense if you haven't read the earlier ones.
    ah, right

i guess i'll start from the beginning, then

thanks
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Most recently read Dracula and Just So Stories. I knew the latter from childhood but had never read the former.
    Honestly I found Dracula slow paced and the "scary" prose merely workmanlike. Although people always say Lovecraft was an idea man who wrote bad prose, I think it's better than Stoker's.
    Now I'm on a Dore-illustrated edition of Don Quixote.
  • yaaay Just So Stories!

I honestly find lovecraft's prose to be very enjoyable, even if it can be very clunky it's all part of the charm.

like as things get more perilous he just starts cramming the adjectives in and it's always good fun.
    I tend to like Lovecraft's prose. Then again I seem to have a higher appreciation for "purple" prose than most people do...

So, I'm finally reading Catch-22. About 50 pages in, this is gonna be a trip.

I honestly find lovecraft's prose to be very enjoyable, even if it can be very clunky it's all part of the charm.

like as things get more perilous he just starts cramming the adjectives in and it's always good fun.
    That's the thing about Lovecraft that most of his lesser imitators and detractors miss: The stories build toward the baroque and grotesque by degrees. That's what makes his work fun and, when he really gets it right, truly sinister.

Machen is a bit like that, but more structurally adventurous and less linguistically flamboyant. Blackwood is even more stripped down, but he does some of his builds remarkably well. "The Willows", in particular, despite some little issues here and there, is terrifying.
  • im sorry love but nothing that contains the word squamous can ever be truly sinister.
    Squamous means scaly, but less reptilian or fishy than "this is something that has scales that really shouldn't." And it sounds weirder and a bit gross to wit.

So yes, I think that it can be sinister.

Also, tell me that "The Rats in the Walls" and "The Colour Out of Space" don't have disturbing sections.
  • no it is a very silly word

like first off it's got that whole "qu" thing going on, and then it's like super ultra specific, and ALSO due to it's specificity and obscurity it's a word that most if not all people won't reach for in a high-stress situation, which takes you the reader out of the moment.

Also The Colour Out Of Space gave me this kinda weird melancholy kinda feeling, not really scary...

I think the thing that lovecraft does best are the little bits where he makes things seem gross. like there was this one story that currently eludes me where he was describing the coarse skin quality of this man, and just like the way he did it was so vivid and ewww