New site announcements

1234568»

Comments

• i agree with naney but whatever
  • edited 2015-03-14 23:07:28
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I'm going to have to start making archives of stuff.
  • They're still there, they're just locked.
  • But yeah

I don't find "lol I bumped a two-year-old thread for no reason" amusing
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Just saying, Naney didn't bump any threads, so there wasn't really much of a reason to tell them to "stop". Cream did, though I'm with Naney on that one too.
  • You're right, I was rash in locking his thread. I just thought he was being overly flippant, and I was not in a good mood to begin with...
  • So should I undo the archiving? I really, truly do find necro rashes irritating, and locking old threads is done to cut down on necros, but people here seem to think that's irrational.
  • edited 2015-03-14 23:44:07
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I don't really care one way or the other on the archiving, as I tend to just bookmark the threads I find important.

Also, I hope you feel better later.
  • edited 2015-03-14 23:48:13
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    Eh, if necros irritates you go ahead and keep them locked. It's your forum, and it's ultimately not that big a deal as long as they can still be read.
  • i want to necro the tony abbott onion thread in a few years

remind me pls
  • sunn wolf, you should necro the tony abbott onion thread in a few years
  • edited 2015-03-15 01:03:45
    (2015 self)

So should I undo the archiving? I really, truly do find necro rashes irritating, and locking old threads is done to cut down on necros, but people here seem to think that's irrational.

It is completely rational.

I like necros.

With locking comes deletion.  It's a slippery slope with no friction and there is no forum that does autolock that did not eventually go to autodelete.

But, Nonny, if you want to do this on a whim,  I will accept that.  You are an administrator, you have that power, and I respect authority.  I this locking comes from your authority, I will accept and respect that.  If this locking comes from actual reason or practicality, then I will not accept it.
  • i think that ideally the necro'd threads should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis

those threads that are harmless fun should be left open but the ones that have uncomfortable old posts (e.g. stuff that now breaks current rules) should get locked
  • I'm not going to start autodeleting anything. We don't need to do it, for one thing.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    In that past we've followed an informal rule of "if you want an old thread bumped because you actually have something to add, ask a mod to unlock it for you" (cf. Rap Battles of History) and I think that's worked out well.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)

I'm not going to start autodeleting anything. We don't need to do it, for one thing.

In that past we've followed an informal rule of "if you want an old thread bumped because you actually have something to add, ask a mod to unlock it for you" (cf. Rap Battles of History) and I think that's worked out well.

What you guys are saying is reason, guys.  I don't trust reason.  Reason is wheedling words that twist and bend to fit any shape and make things seem true; but don't say any promises.  I'm not seeing any definite promises.

I don't trust "informal rules" to prevent deletion of years of history.

Just outright say that you officially promise to never, ever, go to autodelete.

• We'd only ever do it if we started running out of space (not likely), and not without fair warning...
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You'd have to ask Lee for numbers, but last I checked we're nowhere near the point where disk space would be an issue.
  • edited 2015-03-15 01:38:49
    (2015 self)
    -moved to other thread-
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Right now, the database itself is around 1.1 GB, but Linux overhead means we're actually using about 6 GB right now. Linode has a disk upgrade available, but I have to take the site down to grow the partition...
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The "Probation" role has now been given the clearer name of "Muted".
    That's probably what we should have called it from the beginning.

"Probation" was just me mimicking Something Awful.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    And thus we see, that the true path is to find your own way, and not to mimic another man's website. Amen.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    also a probation is what most sites call a tempban, since the SA ban is "you have to pay tenbux again to post again" and not replicable on sites that don't do that.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    well "muting" is borrowed from Twitter, but sure
  • edited 2017-07-23 02:26:14
    So is it the official position that the rules suggestion thread is obsolete?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    butts
    I mean, I could have renamed it back to "Questions and suggestions about the rules" but I figured it would make just as much sense to just make a new rules questions/suggestions thread next time it comes up.
  • I mean, I could have renamed it back to "Questions and suggestions about the rules" but I figured it would make just as much sense to just make a new rules questions/suggestions thread next time it comes up.

Fair enough.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    yeah, that is atypical of me