New site announcements

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Oh wow, I totally forgot about that and I've been busy all evening...
    Just got an email from Linode earlier today:

Support Ticket 1830709 has been updated by 'bkaplan'

--------------------------------------------------
    Hello,

Linode continuously monitors the health of our equipment and we've been alerted to a condition which could affect the physical server your Linode is hosted on. While we have determined that this is not an emergency, your Linode should be migrated to a new server at your earliest convenience.

The migration process will gracefully power down your Linode, migrate it to the new hardware, and issue a boot job automatically. All of your data, configurations, and IP addresses will remain unchanged. Services not configured to start on a reboot will need to be manually started. The migration takes approximately 1 minute per GB of disk image and you can monitor the progress from your Linode's Dashboard.

We have already configured a migration for you. You can initiate it by logging into your Linode's Dashboard and clicking the notice at the top of the page.

We will automatically start your migration if you have not initiated it by Monday, May 13, 2013 at 8PM EDT in order to protect your Linode from a more serious condition.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

Regards,
    Brett Kaplan
    Linode Support
    --------------------------------------------------

I can start the migration sooner if people are OK with it.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    DO IT NOW
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Sounds alright to me...hopefully it's seamless.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Not in the middle of our session D:
    Since the board is relatively quiet during the midday, it'd probably be a good idea to do it around noon ET tomorrow. What do you guys think?
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Sounds good
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Wait, how long will this take anyways?
    They say about a minute per gigabyte, and we're using about 5.5G, so about 6 minutes or so?
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    You have the forum backed up, correct?
    Not recently, but it wouldn't be hard to do.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    You should before migrating in case the forum goes fish tits up
    Yes, I will.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Migrate or go fish tits up?
    Do a backup first, of course.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    wat
    4 minutes to go...
  • oh yeah 12 your time
    And we're back.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Lies

The server exploded violently, destroying the whole world

I am the only person left and am currently huddled in a corner, typing on a dead smartphone as I hallucinate, all while a fox is nibbling on my leg
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I am the fox nibbling on Icalasari's leg.

It is delicious.
    I just changed the default font from Lucida to Open Sans. Let me know if you see any rendering bugs.
  • lee4hmz said:

I just changed the default font from Lucida to Open Sans. Let me know if you see any rendering bugs.

8D
  • edited 2013-05-13 15:30:44
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Ooh, it even shows up on my tablet in place of Roboto. Nice.
  • I was wondering what that new font was!

...the old one is Lucida?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I honestly barely noticed.

The capital Gs are pretty different, though, and not in a bad way.
    Yeah, it was Lucida, but it wasn't CSS3'ing it in from anywhere, so unless Lucida Grande or Lucida Sans was installed on your system, it'd end up using Tahoma or sans-serif.
  • lee4hmz said:

Wrong forum for bugs, I'd think.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    One nice side effect of the change: The links at the very top (Discussions, Activity, Inbox, etc.) all fit on the same line as the logo now.

Before they were pushed below that because the "Dashboard" button made the list too long.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Oh, I thought the site was glitching
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    It took a couple refreshes to get it, but I see the new font now.
    Argh, apparently the server farm our DNS is on is inaccessible from several places on the Net, some sort of routing issue I suppose. The site is still up, but you'll need to add it to your hosts file to see it until NetSol gets its act together.

The hosts file is in /etc/hosts on most Unix-like OSes, and in %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc on Windows. I don't have a good solution for mobile devices at the moment.

You'll want to add this line to the file:
    50.116.54.139        www.heapershangout.com
    It looks like the DNS problems have passed. You can take the hosts file entry out if you like.
    No announcements in a while, so this will be unannounced.
  • Isn't that in and of itself an announcement? :P
    I've been meaning to do this for a while: All threads whose last posts were prior to January 1, 2013 are now closed.
  • edited 2014-06-11 21:12:46
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I added a "Design" category, because I wanted one and it seemed like a good idea.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Just a suggestion, but wouldn't ↳ Design be better in Media?
    I did have it there for a bit, but then I moved it...
    Archiving has been temporarily reset from January 1, 2013 to July 1, 2011.

If there's anything you're just itching to bump, do it now, or it will get locked back down!
    Locking them back down now...
  • Archiving has once again temporarily been reset. Yarrun asked that his thread on Epic Rap Battles of History be unlocked so that it could be bumped, so I felt that I ought to extend the opportunity to bump other old threads to the others here. Re-locking in 30 minutes!
  • 30 minutes were exceeded, but nobody took advantage of the opportunity. The pre-2013 threads are locked again.
  • All threads last posted in before July 1, 2013 are now closed
  • why do you hate fun
  • I don't think rashes of necros are fun