Talkin about Tumblrs, man

Comments

• Kexruct said:

Is this turning into an anti-intellectual echo chamber again?

...what?

• edited 2013-04-07 11:52:47
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I think what Ray is trying to say here is that some of the conversations here have taken on a bit of a hegemonic "this idea is stupid and agreeing with it makes you stupid" timbre in the past, which I do not entirely disagree with.
  • So, through scrolling down the 'audio post' tag, I've found that my audio problem is certainly not mine alone. There's a good many whose audio posts are also borked.

I've never been one to complain about Tumblr updates, but this audio update is...kind of irresponsible.
  • The sadness will last forever.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
  • "Yes I'll play this character, but I hope you know I'm very offended about it!"

There seems to be a lot of gathering anger for various sources and directing it at Ms. Rowling. I mean...Harry Potter is about an British magic school, right? And the stories are basically about him and is British friends. So there was an asian person is as a love interest (this girl was only in one book right?) and she wasn't really developed well? Is that this woman's problem?

You know what other races weren't given a lot of page time? Pretty much all of them. 

I'll grant that Asian actors are very under represented in western media, but that's hardly analogous to  Rowling robbing Asians of their heritage. 

Wait...that idiot actually PLAYED the character she complained about?!

OK now it just sounds like, "WHAAAA! I DIDN'T GET THE SCREEN TIME I DESERVED!"
  • Justice42 said:

There seems to be a lot of gathering anger for various sources and directing it at Ms. Rowling. I mean...Harry Potter is about an British magic school, right? And the stories are basically about him and is British friends. So there was an asian person is as a love interest (this girl was only in one book right?) and she wasn't really developed well? Is that this woman's problem?

She was in the fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh.

She was developed quite well for a side character, and for that matter an "other" love interest.
  • i have no idea what is going on
  • "blah blah harry potter is racist because blah blah"
  • oh wait that asian chick in harry potter

peeps are upset about that?

whatever
  • my policy is the minute somebody either says or responds to someone saying dumbass shit i automatically unfollow them.

As a result my dashboard is very nearly retarded-ass drama free.

Apparently the Asian woman up there played a character in like...four of the movies and now she's bitching about it because her character wasn't given enough time to extol the virtues of being Asian.
  • see what i mean, i never heard bout any of this until just now

and if you did as i do neither would you.
  • Oh, hey, Naney isn't following me. I can't believe it took me so long to notice :/
  • Naney said:

see what i mean, i never heard bout any of this until just now

and if you did as i do neither would you.
    I prefer responding to stupid stuff to pretending it doesn't exist.
  • See what i mean? :D
  • my understanding was that she was complaining that her character's name made no sense (the character in question is supposed to be Chinese and apparently has two Korean surnames for a name).
  • Naney said:

See what i mean? :D

._.
  • my understanding was that she was complaining that her character's name made no sense (the character in question is supposed to be Chinese and apparently has two Korean surnames for a name).
    Well, I can see why she'd complain about that.

But.

It's just a name.

my understanding was that she was complaining that her character's name made no sense (the character in question is supposed to be Chinese and apparently has two Korean surnames for a name).

That would be reason to complain, but not necessarily reason to go into a diatribe about Rowland being part of the white agenda to misrepresent Asians in the media.

i actually saw that gifset on my dash, thought it was pretty funny

didn't know it was part of a larger dramabomb
  • Justice42 said:

my understanding was that she was complaining that her character's name made no sense (the character in question is supposed to be Chinese and apparently has two Korean surnames for a name).

That would be reason to complain, but not necessarily reason to go into a diatribe about Rowland being part of the white agenda to misrepresent Asians in the media.

I think it's pretty hard to argue that the majority of western media doesn't just treat "asian" as a vague blob rather than a group of very distinct cultures and ethnicities.

That is not an "agenda", but it's certainly insensitive, and I'd be pissed off too.

• Justice42 said:

I think it's pretty hard to argue that the majority of western media doesn't just treat "asian" as a vague blob rather than a group of very distinct cultures and ethnicities.

That is not an "agenda", but it's certainly insensitive, and I'd be pissed off too.

I'd honestly agree here.

• Justice42 said:

Well, yes, but still. Being irritated about a name is one thing. "ROWLING IS AN EVIL RACIST AND FETISHIZES ASIANS AND I'M SUPER OFFENDED EVEN THOUGH I WILLINGLY PLAYED THE CHARACTER" is another.
  • Kexruct said:

Justice42 said:

Well, yes, but still. Being irritated about a name is one thing. "ROWLING IS AN EVIL RACIST AND FETISHIZES ASIANS AND I'M SUPER OFFENDED EVEN THOUGH I WILLINGLY PLAYED THE CHARACTER" is another.
    I don't think the actress said that.
  • Kexruct said:

Justice42 said:

I don't think the actress said that.

Not seeing much ambiguity there.
  • let's talk about

yesimbeyonce:

waiting-for-the-tardis:

justin bieber threatened a photographer, had his monkey seized, illegally drew a tattoo saying “swaggy” alongside a mouse, and wrote “hopefully she would have been a belieber” in a guestbook dedicated to anne frank

this is the most interesting downward spiral i’ve ever seen

you forgot the time he wore overalls to meet the prime minister of Canada

how awesome JB is

Kexruct said:

• Naney said:

let's talk about

yesimbeyonce:

waiting-for-the-tardis:

justin bieber threatened a photographer, had his monkey seized, illegally drew a tattoo saying “swaggy” alongside a mouse, and wrote “hopefully she would have been a belieber” in a guestbook dedicated to anne frank

this is the most interesting downward spiral i’ve ever seen

you forgot the time he wore overalls to meet the prime minister of Canada

how awesome JB is

Would you stop doing that?
  • Justice42 said:

Kexruct said:

hmm

i did not see that in the gifset i saw

w/e

also "tragic fetish" would be a good name for a band
  • Kexruct said:

I see a lot of anger here, but I do not see any particular implication of some sort of mass conspiracy.

Granted, it is rather strange that she'd agree to play the character in the first place, but people do change their minds about things.

• Kexruct said:

I see a lot of anger here, but I do not see any particular implication of some sort of mass conspiracy.

"the latest participant in a long tradition" seems pretty "i think you did this on purpose" to me

(*Shrug*)
  • Kexruct said:

Granted, it is rather strange that she'd agree to play the character in the first place, but people do change their minds about things.

Ms. Rowling, I knew you were the latest participant in a long tradition of turning Asian women into a tragic fetish.
  • edited 2013-04-14 18:21:09

it seems to me that this is a good example of people assuming that other people guided by subtle cultural forces are actively aware that they are perpetuating harmful images/stereotypes/ect.

which is something that seems to happen a lot

it kinda reminds me of that one dude with the blog saying that the Nolan batman films deliberately support a facist worldview.

I was using hyperbole when I said "white agenda", that being said, the actress here could have chosen her words better.
  • I would really need more context here before I could definitively determine what she meant.

I'm not even sure where this was said or what prompted it. She seems pretty angry in that gif and you'll note that people tend to not choose their words well when angry.

it seems to me that this is a good example of people assuming that other people guided by subtle cultural forces are actively aware that they are perpetuating harmful images/stereotypes/ect.

it kinda reminds me of that one dude with the blog saying that the Nolan batman films deliberately supported a facist worldview.

I remember Odradek posting some person who basically read the Nolan films as basically extolling the virtues of the white aristocracy.
  • I would really need more context here before I could definitively determine what she meant.

I'm not even sure where this was said or what prompted it. She seems pretty angry in that gif and you'll note that people tend to not choose their words well when angry.

defs
    Justice42 said:

it kinda reminds me of that one dude with the blog saying that the Nolan batman films deliberately supported a facist worldview.

I remember Odradek posting some person who basically read the Nolan films as basically extolling the virtues of the white aristocracy.
    might be the same dude (*Shrug*)
  • edited 2013-04-14 18:25:13
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I would really need more context here before I could definitively determine what she meant.

I'm wondering where this is taking place. I'm guessing she isn't at some sort of wrap up party for the films...I'm thinking she's some where where this a bunch of other minorities who are angry about portrayals in the media and is trying a little to hard to jump on a bandwagon.

I could be mistaken though, maybe she just showed up to an Olive Garden and felt the patrons should show more awareness of Asians in the media.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    For one thing...
    Cho is a Chinese and Korean surname. As a Japanese given name it is derived from the word chou, meaning “butterfly”.[8] Chang is a common Chinese family name meaning “free” or “unhindered”. In Chinese, chou chang means “melancholy”.[9] This may allude to Cho's fragile emotional state following Cedric Diggory's murder. Cho may also be an English variant of her given name chou,
    meaning autumn. In the Mandarin translations of Harry Potter, the name
    "Cho Chang" is translated into "Zhang Qiu"[张秋] (in Chinese, surnames
    come before the first name), with "Zhang" being a common Chinese surname
    and a variant of the name "Chang", and "Qiu" meaning "autumn". If Cho
    were the surname: Cho/Cao 曹.As the name Cho Chang is considered to be
    Chinese, the Mandarin translation may give a hint as to what the name
    may mean.
  • edited 2013-04-14 18:26:42

part of the gifset just showed up on my dash again and there was a very interesting response to it

I am Chinese, I grew up in Guangdong and now live in Beijing. My surname is Yang (杨/楊 in simplified/traditional Chinese characters). And allow me, a born-and-raised-and-live-in-China Chinese, not so humbly inform you: Both Cho and Chang ARE Chinese words pronounced in the Cantonese dialect (the major dialect spoken in Guangdong and Hong Kong), and they are written as 秋 (or any homophones) and 张/張 in Chinese characters. Ask any Cantonese-speaking Chinese, and they’ll tell you this. And SURPRISE: both Cho and Chang can be used as first name AND last name in Chinese.

To sum it up: The girl speaking in this gifset clearly has NO knowledge at all of Chinese language, and is acting very presumptuous about it. And to me, that is a case of racism.

EDIT: Quoting from wikipedia, “Chang is the pinyin romanization of the Chinese surname 常 (Cháng). It was listed 80th among the Song-era Hundred Family Surnames” and “is also the Wade-Giles romanization of two Chinese surnames written Zhang in pinyin: one extremely common and written 張 in traditional characters and 张 in simplified characters and another quite rare and written as 章 in both systems.”

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Justice42 said:

http://jacobinmag.com/2012/07/the-dark-knight-is-no-capitalist/?