Talkin about Tumblrs, man

Comments

• Why am I looking at Homestuck artblogs I need sleep
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    39 Notes:

2 notes:

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    hey dont be saying shit about the mayor

But the ways of tumblr are indeed mysterious.

Man, the mayor is awesome and apparently people love that sprite edit?

I just find it strange that comparitivly speaking, that has a lot more notes than most my other stuff.

It's funny, though. I think that might have got a lot more notice because he's a minor character, and therefore the tumblr tag dosen't get bombarded as much.

That's my hypothesis, anyhow.
  • Justice42 said:

2 notes:

The most amusing thing to me about this one is the fact that Saiyuki is playing in the background. Well that and the fact that Nepeta is braining someone with a Yaoi paddle.

Oh thank you merciful God, SOMEONE had an eye for detail, at least.

Higurashi is in the second, but the paddle is making it near impossible to tell.

Unrelated: "M!A: You are suddenly back to normal! At the cost of having very large breasts for the next 12 hours."

Following Vriska's RPG blog is endlessly fascinating to me. They amount of weird shit you're sent is kinda amazing.
  • Justice42 said:

Oh thank you merciful God, SOMEONE had an eye for detail, at least.

Higurashi is in the second, but the paddle is making it near impossible to tell.

Doesn't hurt that I'm one of the few people (at least in the circles I hang out in) that actually has watched Saiyuki.

I could actually tell the second panel was Higurashi just becuase I recognized the way the background is animated.
  • Yeah I know I get like the weirdest magic anons and shit.

The hilarious thing is when I -ask- for magic anons I hardly ever get them 8ut when I'm not asking for them I get all kinds of stuff.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    what is a magic anon
  • They're really only relevant to roleplay blogs. They send asks putting a "spell" on your character which can 8e pretty much anything (gender change, species swap, new a8ility or item, removal of an a8ility or item, size change, like I said pretty much anything.)
  • The sadness will last forever.
    cool
  • The sadness will last forever.
    too bad i have little to no material for an rp blog

EGG CAT!

world's roundest cat

start an rp blog as Deco y/n

I wonder how that would go
    1. Type Random Words
    2. Google Translate into French
    3. profit!
  • I think part of the problem with SJ on tumblr is that it's become ubiquitous. I mean, a lot of people don't like that it's ubiquitous, but I think that the ubiquity's working against social justice.

Let's look back at the 60's. Back then, taking a stance against racism was brave, difficult and occasionally illegal, even if you're just an ally. If you defended a black person who sat in the front of the bus, you'd probably be arrested. Participation in boycotts meant that you'd have to find another way to work. And any participation in the Montgomery March meant any thing from firehoses to attack dogs. In short, there was great risk in going against the norm, and (much like the early Christians) that gave them respect. If you're going to face angry people with bloodthirsty Rottweilers, without a weapon, while advocating peace and equality, you're going to get a lot of props just for being stalwart.

Now? Everybody and their dog (or their human who identifies as a dog) is talking about the oppression of minorities. It's no longer against the norm, or dangerous; it's mainstream. And because it's mainstream, nobody's paying attention to it except for the people who are interested in it (i.e. the people who need to hear it the least)
  • ...My brain?

I mean, I don't know where exactly it came from. Probably not the pineal gland.

(This isn't the philosophy post you prompted, btw)

It was a good post.

In OTHER news:

icebizzle:

vengerturtle:

alltheladiesyouhate:

tampontears:

veganmovement2012:

Would people be as comfortable buying meat if the date the animal was KILLED was displayed alongside the ‘best before’ date? Consumers should remember that meat is the dead flesh from a once living breathing sentient animal who didn’t want to die.

actually i would feel more comfortable. it would make choosing fresher meat easier. thats a very good idea. 

i love the “best before death” label, like they want us to eat live chickens

lmao omg

this is an amazing idea

i want to know how fresh my meat is omg

that’s a fantastic idea. you could solve a lot of old meat issues with this

start doing this in stores, this is a good idea than needs to happen. for the good of carnivores everywhere who love fresh meat to cook.

• Yarrun said:

...My brain?

I mean, I don't know where exactly it came from. Probably not the pineal gland.

(This isn't the philosophy post you prompted, btw)

Well. I was more asking what prompted it. Kinda seemed outta the blue.

No issue, though.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • actually i would feel more comfortable. it would make choosing fresher meat easier. thats a very good idea. 

i love the “best before death” label, like they want us to eat live chickens

lmao omg

this is an amazing idea

i want to know how fresh my meat is omg

that’s a fantastic idea. you could solve a lot of old meat issues with this

start
    doing this in stores, this is a good idea than needs to happen. for the
    good of carnivores everywhere who love fresh meat to cook.

I agree as well. Actually, it reminds of a video I had to watch for class on Japanese culture. They went to this chicken restaurant where the owner raised the chickens and slaughtered them that day for the freshest meat; many of his recipes were not fully cooked. I wish that the USA were competent with meat and meat packaging and showing when the animal was killed is an excellent idea for all the reasons you pointed out.

Umm...I mean, I totally forgot that meat comes from animals. The horror of being reminded of this.

"Umm...I mean, I totally forgot that meat comes from animals. The horror of being reminded of this."

Heh, I think this is why the whole thing backfired.

"Bloodmouths" KNOW meat comes from animals and that they have to die so we can eat them. Now, there's probably is a level of intimacy with that fact that would make people uncomfortable, but "time of death" is still pretty damn far off. Worse, it's potentially practical.
  • I only eat animals I slaughter with my bare hands while looking them in the eye.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    The biggest problem I have with gun control arguments is that if you restrict guns, then the only people who will have them are the people you don't want having guns.

If someone's willing to shoot up a school, they aren't gonna care whether their gun is legal or not.
  • edited 2012-12-17 08:04:59
    I was talking about this with my father. Not about the connecticut case tho, that kind of thing isn't really rare over here.

Whether guns are legal or not, people will use guns. Legalizing it means everyone can carry them, but won't use. And those who do use MIGHT use it wrong. It's a gamble. I can't really tell which is best

I mean, carrying a gun is a thing, being able to pull the trigger, even for self-defence, is another
    Yes, people who are determined to acquire guns will acquire them whether they're legal or not.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't make things harder for them. If you couldn't walk into any damn store and legally purchase a gun, they'd be much harder to come by. Why is this a hard concept for some people?

Yes, people who are determined to acquire guns will acquire them whether they're legal or not.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't make things harder for them. If you couldn't walk into any damn store and legally purchase a gun, they'd be much harder to come by. Why is this a hard concept for some people?
    CA: because it's been proven that adding hurdles to purchasing firearms does zilch to prevent gun-related crimes. In the case of DC and Chicago, murder-by-gun rates simply got worse after both instituted handgun bans -- I'm not saying that the gun control laws correlate with the murder-by-gun rate, but they certainly didn't have the intended effect on them. 
    Again, I never said I wanted to add hurdles to purchasing firearms. I want to ban the purchase of them outright except in very limited circumstances.

Just because the second amendment exists doesn't mean I have to agree with it, nor does it mean that I can't argue (however vainly it may be) for its repeal.
  • then the guy would get it from mexico or some other place. Black Market is coorayzeh shit

then the guy would get it from mexico or some other place. Black Market is coorayzeh shit

See, arguments like this one seem to boil down to "because there's no way to make it impossible to get guns, there's no point in trying to make it harder to get guns."

Anyone who's determined enough to blow up a building is going to be able to do so. Clearly this means there's no reason to ban the sale of explosives, 'cause they'd just buy them illegally, right?

Again, I never said I wanted to add hurdles to purchasing firearms. I want to ban the purchase of them outright except in very limited circumstances.

CA I'm not trying to get onto you here but

Doesn't mean we shouldn't make things harder for them.
    How else am I supposed to read that

• edited 2012-12-17 08:33:38
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Jesus, fine, we're gonna play the semantics game?

By "make things harder for them" I mean "force anyone who is determined to acquire a firearm and do harm with it to resort to illegal means, instead of just hanging it to them because it's their legal right."

Clear enough?
    I'm not trying to play semantics here. It just appears to me that you have two posts in succession that say two different things. 
  • evil can't be stopped

"if there's a will there's a way"

but we'll get nowhere from this conversation. I won't change your mind, you won't change mine. It'd be a meaninless conflict. So I'll retreat like the wuss I am

then the guy would get it from mexico or some other place. Black Market is coorayzeh shit

See, arguments like this one seem to boil down to "because there's no way to make it impossible to get guns, there's no point in trying to make it harder to get guns."

Anyone who's determined enough to blow up a building is going to be able to do so. Clearly this means there's no reason to ban the sale of explosives, 'cause they'd just buy them illegally, right?
    I know this is something you feel strongly about and I'm really not trying to be a dick, but it sounds to me like you're misrepresenting the argument here.

What you have there is not a complete argument against gun control, you have one of the premises in support of an argument against gun control, and it's not incorrect.  It's just not something people generally believe in isolation.  If I oppose banning guns, I'm not doing so because of the black market, that's just an additional factor that will exist regardless of my position on the issue.

Can't...unsee...Kankri...
    I'm not going to be able to argue anything with this avatar, am I?
    a8 said:

I know this is something you feel strongly about and I'm really not trying to be a dick, but it sounds to me like you're misrepresenting the argument here.

What you have there is not a complete argument against gun control, you have one of the premises in support of an argument against gun control, and it's not incorrect.  It's just not something people generally believe in isolation.  If I oppose banning guns, I'm not doing so because of the black market, that's just an additional factor that will exist regardless of my position on the issue.

Fair enough.

It's just that, since the shooting, I haven't really seen anybody put forth a complete argument. Everyone seems to offer that one particular point in response but nobody ever bothers to explain why access to guns is worth having in the first place or why it's worth the lives of all the people who are murdered each year with guns that were purchased legally.
  • edited 2012-12-17 11:17:28

a8 said:

I'm not going to be able to argue anything with this avatar, am I?

nope

Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily disagree with you, it's just I see Kankri next to a couple of paragraphs and I start thinking "trigger warning" "#Gun Control" "#Dick" "#SorryISaidDickIHopeIDidn'tTriggerYouIWasTryingToGetAPointAcross"  
    Maybe I'll switch avatars soon.  Something Christmassy maybe.

I don't really consider myself sufficiently informed on gun control to argue about it anyway.  I do know that not all guns are alike, and I'd be wary of any change that sets a dangerous precedent, but beyond that I'm kind of on the fence I guess.
    That doesn't solve my problem!

OTOH it's adorable, I may have to start using it.
    I'm probably not well-enough informed on it to argue about it, honestly, but the recent shooting has my emotions running strong about it...I shouldn't do this...

Anyway, Christmas Kankri? Wouldn't he argue about how not all humans are Christians and how we need to be inclusive of everyone?