Talkin about Tumblrs, man

Comments

• I'm not sure how you got that out of it?
  • It seemed like he was addressing the argument that "everything fits into God's plan."
  • I think he was more saying "if that's his plan it's not a plan i like" than "lol they think everything's fine when IN REAL LIFE THINGS SUCK HA"
  • But he used that criticism to uniformly criticize an entire set of beliefs; that's what bugged me.
  • well yeah, he thinks that the plan is a bad plan, and therefore he's not a fan of the plan fans, regardless of their flavor of plan fanning.
  • But the notion of the plan itself changes when placed in the context of the differing belief systems.
  • That's a level of granularity it's not really fair to expect from a live interview. Anyway, if he's not talking about your belief system why does it bother you?
  • Because what I read into it implied that he was assuming my beliefs were encompassed by what he was criticizing.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i watched Fry's answer to that question when it was on the front page of YouTube.

i found it uncomfortable viewing, but i don't know of any answer that addresses his response in a way that satisfies me.  Bone cancer in children 'seeming small with a change in perspective' certainly isn't one.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    So I've heard that Tumblr is deleting stuff relating to Leelah?
  • they're deleting the screenshots of her blog, yes. 
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    that's rather ass of them...did the parents threaten a lawsuit or something? :P
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    If there are any posts going around with Internet Archive links to her blog, I'd hope that anyone here who has an active Tumblr account would circulate those.

I’ll do so myself if I see any.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Man, and here I was all "see? Tumblr's not a shitty as people say!"
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The operators of a service are not its users.

Was Fast Eddie ever a representative of our interests, our desires?
    MachSpeed said:

The operators of a service are not its users.

Was Fast Eddie ever a representative of our interests, our desires?

Ack, I'm getting hung up on ambiguous terminology again. "Tumblr" in my last post was meant to refer to Tumblr's administration (since I'd been defending them by saying they wouldn't force-reblog ads).
  • actuallytiredofthiswebsite.pngpeg
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I'm also very tired, but I'm even more tired of everywhere else.

Here and there are where I lay my roots. I can't go anywhere else.
  • MachSpeed said:

I'm also very tired, but I'm even more tired of everywhere else.

Here and there are where I lay my roots. I can't go anywhere else.

I understand what this means so hard.

• You should all move to reddit, the userbase is just as noxious but it's easier to avoid them
  • 1. i'm pretty confident in saying that reddit is much more obnoxious on the whole

2. you have a much easier time ignoring the bad parts of tumblr because you have a more granular level of control over what you see
    My roots are here and I am a tired old man.

Also, I'm already on Reddit, but only to look up stuff about tabletop RPGs.
  • Like, you see something stupid on tumblr? You unfollow the blog and boom you never have to see it again.

But on reddit you have to mentally weigh whether filtering through all the stupid bullshit on a subreddit is worth it to get to the good stuff (which it rarely is in my experience)
  • almost every subreddit of a sufficient size is filled with obnoxious douchebags of various flavors.

If you're going to use reddit you have to be very, very selective.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
     I usually stick to the smaller subreddits. Reddit can either be good or bad, largely depending on how effectively the community is moderated. It is, naturally, easier for the smaller ones to be decently moderated. 
  • naney said:

2. you have a much easier time ignoring the bad parts of tumblr because you have a more granular level of control over what you see

Pretty much this. There have been so many times I've thought "tumblr is so stupid, always saying stuff like..." and then realized it was just one specific person on my dash who was reblogging or posting things like that. Then I unfollowed them. Then things were good. 

There is still the baseline of otherwise well-meaning people (including myself) who occasionally hit reblog before checking Snopes or really thinking about the post. Which is a platformwide issue--not necessarily one that should be fixed, because it essentially boils down to "sharing things is TOO convenient", but one to be mindful of.
  • I will admit to having reblogged some things in my time that turned out to be

less than good in hindsight
  • Depending on the person and relationship this could be pretty sweet I bet.

that was actually roughly my first thought upon reading it, given that the beau and I love finding dumb ways to insult one another

though i guess it's prolly me being too charitable again
    I don't even understand this joke.
  • edited 2015-02-10 07:33:44
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    naney said:

Depending on the person and relationship this could be pretty sweet I bet.

that was actually roughly my first thought upon reading it, given that the beau and I love finding dumb ways to insult one another

though i guess it's prolly me being too charitable again
    It's not just you, even if I also see where Jane is coming from.

^ At one red heart or less, Eve gains the effect from the Whore of Babylon item (unlike everyone else that requires a half-heart or less).
  • MachSpeed said:

I don't even understand this joke.

it kind of requires some knowledge of the game

long story short the character Eve starts with an item called The Whore Of Babylon. Normally, said item requires that you be down to a half-heart to activate (the game uses a Zelda I - style heart container system), but with Eve you can activate it at one full heart.

basically it's a shitty pun that's also kinda sexist.
    Wow what a shit.
  • as bigoted humor goes it wasn't that bad (in terms of humor) i dont think

like, it got a groan out of me which i think was the point

as opposed to most bigoted humor where the bigotry is the point, the point was the punning
  • I would care less if it was a sub I expected terrible things out of 

but it's r/boi
  • It's a disappointing thing sure, but iunno if i'd say it's a terrible thing

like "terrible" for me would be something really rapey or transphobic or some shit

whereas that's like, your averageish joe who's trying to be edgy with the dudes tier
  • it's like a thing that an acquaintance says IRL and you half-heartedly laugh along not to break the mood whilst on the inside you're rolling your eyes and thinking "oh ffs"
  • I am being mildly hyperbolic

it's still stupid.

It's also the top post on the sub, which is disappointing.
  • oh yeah it is

eww
  • kill living beings
    yeaaaaaaah boi
  • edited 2015-02-10 23:08:53
    kill living beings
    i’m a jaded teenage girl. i’ve been through shit that you wouldn’t even dream of. you think your life is hard? try asking the cutest guy in your grade out in the middle of the cafeteria only to find out he has a fucking girlfriend. you don’t know my life or my story so keep my name out of your nasty mouth. life is a battlefield and it looks like i’ve already won.
  • Heh, I've read that Tumblr :D  And I'm inclined towards troll, though Poe rules all.
  • i’m a jaded teenage girl. i’ve been through shit that you wouldn’t even dream of. you think your life is hard? try asking the cutest guy in your grade out in the middle of the cafeteria only to find out he has a fucking girlfriend. you don’t know my life or my story so keep my name out of your nasty mouth. life is a battlefield and it looks like i’ve already won.
    What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
    Don't you two make me break out Meredith's anti-copypasta ray
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS