Talkin about Tumblrs, man

Comments

• edited 2015-01-21 02:10:52
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    Tachyon said:

any tape found to contain anything resembling a half-smirk and a raised eyebrow will be set on fire

I applaud your vision.
  • I own Tennessee Tuxedo and you don't

hooray for Don Adams
  • kill living beings
    lol fascinating
  • I'm having trouble working out what that guy might be saying that pisses people off so much.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Morven said:

I'm having trouble working out what that guy might be saying that pisses people off so much.

They(I think that's their pronouns?) are feelthy progressives and thus must be purged, as all progs should be.
  • One thing I've noted on the Internet is that all kinds of things can get people worked up enough to do shit like that.  Politics and its bedmate religion are of course the biggest ones, though ...
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    lol @ "don't follow" posts existing
  • "Do not follow if ..." is just drama bait to be honest.  It's dumb.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Those "Do not follow" posts are stupid.
    "Do not follow if ____"

Way to preserve the echo chamber.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    It's like baiting people... idk
  • Good thing I don't follow those people then.
  • Also, seriously, I used the search function like a scattered 7 times, I just follow the best people. 
  • kill living beings
    tumblr search is depressingly bad, just technically speaking
  • tumblr search is depressingly bad on every level

it is a seven layer dip of disappointment, with overly salty refried beans, under-seasoned ground beef, generic mild salsa and guac that has that weird vaguely off flavor that guac has sometimes
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    tags kind of halfway work, assuming the tag you think of isn't too vague and that people actually tag their posts
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Tumblr's interface was never good and never improved. :D

tumblr search is depressingly bad, just technically speaking

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Cross-posting because of reasons.
    You know what I’m tired of? Making fun of Tumblr users as if you weren’t a user yourself.

Like, I get it. Make fun of the ridiculous acts, thumb your nose at the foolishness. Everyone has a big laugh.

But we’re not mocking them from our comfortable spaces on Blogspot or 4chan or Livejournal or whathaveyou. We’re mocking them - no. We’re mocking ourselves from the same place the foolishness springs.

We’ve been here for what, two years? Three years? I think it’s time we stopped pretending to be outsiders on the inside.

We’re as big a fools as they.

We’re all fools.
  • That's every big website.

People did that at TVTropes all the time, in fact.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    We made fun of ourselves as if we weren't there at all?
  • In truth, there is a bit of mainstream to every site that it's okay to point out you don't belong too.

Tvtropes for instance involved people who listed tropes for themselves, whether or not you fit into this kind of person, that was a mainstream for tvtropes.

Tumblr is a mixed bag, but there are some behaviors that follow it that people can fall into.

I would say after my visitation there, that fact-checking might fit into that kind of behavioral circle.

The spread of misinformation can go far on tumblr, because people don't fact-check on things. 

That is a behavioral circle that I would accuse tumblr of.

Mind you, It's interesting to look into that kind of thing from a behavioral science perspective, but the fact remains, this is something I now associate with tumblr, but I don't take it out on the people who use tumblr, that would be stereotyping, a rather inefficient brain-parsing ability.

Rather, It's important to keep in mind so I don't fall into the same kind of trap.

So that when a post comes around that I could keep in mind whether or not that post is using sources that I can verify. 
  • edited 2015-02-04 01:59:43
    MachSpeed said:

We made fun of ourselves as if we weren't there at all?

Oh yeah, all the time. It was fun.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    forcing your blog to have certain promo posts on it as reblogs is a pretty damn scummy thing to do though
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I suppose.

I just have knee-jerk reaction to people complaining about advertising on free websites, to be honest. Oftentimes it smacks of a sense of entitlement.
  • goddammit Comcastiversal can't you keep the synergy to your own properties
  • but yeah, the point of Tumblr is that the users were allowed to make their Tumblrs their own personal spaces, and then Yahoo! goes and does this

this is the reason people dreaded the sale
    the thing about ads is that under non-scummy (or at least as non-scummy as ads can get) circumstances generally admit to being ads and being placed there for money.  it's called disclosure.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ...this seems to defeat the purpose of a blog host.

And also runs counter to the spirit of the established tumblr community.

i thought you'd be against this, CA? This is a pretty clear instance of a private property owner opening that property to the public and then screwing about with them, is it not?
    I guess if they were sticking things on my blog I'd be pretty annoyed, yeah
  • I suppose.

I just have knee-jerk reaction to people complaining about advertising on free websites, to be honest. Oftentimes it smacks of a sense of entitlement.
    Tachyon's got a point about this particular case, but in general I agree that tumblr has a lot of this going on. There's this one reblog chain that's just complaining about "staff why haven't you taken down all 50 shades of grey advertisements" and well...that's because they were paid money, and someone has to keep the lights on.

I keep wanting to point out to people that they're on a website they use for free, and when you sign up for a social media site like that, you're not the customer, you're the commodity. Remembering that idea explains a lot about how tumblr works, I think. 

But every time I go to make a post about that I feel like I'm being a jerk, so I don't.
    To be honest: if I hadn't been in a pissy mood when I saw that post, it probably wouldn't have bothered me.

As it was, it struck a nerve because it seemed tangentially related to two of my Tumblr pet peeves: misapplication of the concept of "consent" and, as you mentioned, a disdain for advertising on a free website.

Also worth noting is that it's just this one person's word that they're doing this, so I'm not about to condemn Tumblr for this practice until I'm sure it's actually a thing that's happening, you know?
  • Haven said:

I suppose.

Tachyon's got a point about this particular case, but in general I agree that tumblr has a lot of this going on. There's this one reblog chain that's just complaining about "staff why haven't you taken down all 50 shades of grey advertisements" and well...that's because they were paid money, and someone has to keep the lights on.

I keep wanting to point out to people that they're on a website they use for free, and when you sign up for a social media site like that, you're not the customer, you're the commodity. Remembering that idea explains a lot about how tumblr works, I think. 

But every time I go to make a post about that I feel like I'm being a jerk, so I don't.
    there's still a difference between "advertising" and "making your users appear to endorse a product"

• there's still a difference between "advertising" and "making your users appear to endorse a product"

Oh yeah, definitely. I just had a tangentially related rant that needed to be set free.
  • I kinda just wish Tumblr advertised like normal sites do, with ads off to the side where I don't have to look at them.
    Haven said:

there's still a difference between "advertising" and "making your users appear to endorse a product"

Oh yeah, definitely. I just had a tangentially related rant that needed to be set free.
    Like I said, I'm still not sufficiently convinced this is a thing that's actually happening, which is why I've taken such a cavalier attitude towards it.
  • It wouldn't particularly shock me either way.

I think perhaps the most likely explanation is that this person saw something and misinterpreted it.

Though frankly I am kinda tired of how often we rag on ''tumblr users'' around here. I never actually know who we're talking about.
  • I think perhaps the most likely explanation is that this person saw something and misinterpreted it.

I assume as such as well, making it look like people reblogged posts when they didn't seems quasi-suicidal PR-wise

Though frankly I am kinda tired of how often we rag on ''tumblr users'' around here. I never actually know who we're talking about.

it's part euphemism for sjws and part euphemism for whiny fans of whatever, i think
    Honestly, I should probably cut back on the "Tumblr users" thing because it's a bit like when AU used to go on about "nerds": I have a specific subset of people in mind, but I can't articulate whom, so I use phrasing that unintentionally implicates a much larger group. :\

I'd say "the kind of people who hassle vastderp" instead but only like two of you would know what I'm talking about.
    i know what you're talking about
  • I aso know what you are talking about, and i understand the need for a more specific term
  • kill living beings
    fucking nerds
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    You could say "the people who drove Gigi off of Tumblr", and I think everybody here would get what you were talking about.

That said, using a more specific term in lieu of "Tumblr users" would probably be a good idea.
    tbh those are the people i would have called sjws at one point, before the bigots got hold of the term