Talkin about Tumblrs, man

Comments

• edited 2014-04-11 15:48:59
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tachyon said:

i must admit, i don't honestly understand why they are a thing

Same reason as serial killer groupies, Manson fangirls and the rest, but with an extra dash of Tumblr nonsense.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    right...

ugh
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Tachyon said:

i must admit, i don't honestly understand why they are a thing

Same reason as serial killer groupies, Manson fangirls and the rest, but with an extra dash of Tumblr nonsense.
    Also conspiracy theories!
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Well, those sort of people tend to overlap heavily with conspiracy freaks anyway...
  • You know who else were conspiracy freaks?

If you guessed "The Tsarnaev brothers", you're correct.

No explanation necessary.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • kill living beings
    Popular television show
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    Fandoms are stupid.
    Unless it is the Chargeman Ken fandom
  • Odradek said:

Nice try but no one is an unironic Vanilla Ice fan.

Except Violent J and Shaggy 2 Dope, possibly.
    Being an unironic fan of something doesn't count if you're only ironically human.

By which I mean they don't count.

And the Tsearnyeve or whatever kid only has fans because he's young and in possession of smooth, somewhat dopey features can be easily misconstrued as attractive.
    It's not even the fandom things that get to me, really, so much as the fact that a lot of Tumblr users seem to treat Tumblr as serious business. They act as though slapping fandom stuff on a serious post were the ultimate act of disrespect and deleting one's blog because of trolls was some kind of life-changing decision. (It's terrible that people have to do that, yes, but let's face it--most people who do create new blogs almost immediately.)

I guess that speaks more to those people's emotional investment in the site than it does their age, necessarily, but it reminds me of the way middle and high schoolers get wrapped up in their interpersonal drama and us grown-ups just look on and say "heh, kids are funny."
  • It's not even the fandom things that get to me, really, so much as the fact that a lot of Tumblr users seem to treat Tumblr as serious business. They act as though slapping fandom stuff on a serious post were the ultimate act of disrespect and deleting one's blog because of trolls was some kind of life-changing decision. (It's terrible that people have to do that, yes, but let's face it--most people who do create new blogs almost immediately.)

I guess that speaks more to those people's emotional investment in the site than it does their age, necessarily, but it reminds me of the way middle and high schoolers get wrapped up in their interpersonal drama and us grown-ups just look on and say "heh, kids are funny."

• They act as though slapping fandom stuff on a serious post were the ultimate act of disrespect

it's really annoying, and that's enough justification to be annoyed by it.
  • edited 2014-04-16 20:49:02

rad new solution 2 annoying tumblrs: unfollow button
  • kill living beings
    Popular novel series with movie adaptation
  • edited 2014-04-16 20:52:06
    ^^^ The fact that people do certain unpleasant but inconsequential things under the belief that they are consequential paradoxically manages to make them even more dickish than if they thought it were inconsequential... although incidentally, that kind of attitude makes reprisal all too easy. It's very childish.
  • edited 2014-04-16 21:06:16

Also, not gonna lie: "They're just kids! They'll grown out of this!" is the only thing that makes a lot of Tumblr tolerable for me.
  • rad new solution 2 annoying tumblrs: unfollow button

But it doesn't mean that it's not disrespectful and rude?

I don't understand why you always bring this up. The problem isn't "I'm seeing something that bothers me" it's "I don't like this thing that happened."
  • Also, not gonna lie: "They're just kids! They'll grown out of this!" is the only thing that makes a lot of Tumblr tolerable for me.

I kinda don't understand why you use the site when you seem to like, genuinely hate it a lot.
  • if you dont see something you will not know that it happened

ergo, if you unfollow blags that show you things that you dont like you want see more things that you dont like

it's like, if you run into a wall and hit your head, the best thing to do is not run into walls moving foreward
  • But like when I complain about stuff I am taking issue with the fact that it happened; not the fact that it happened and it bothered me. And honestly it comes off as a bit condescending when you say that every single time.
    Because you never unfollow people when they behave badly, and you get into fights with them that make you upset, which is really not worth it.
  • edited 2014-04-16 21:18:14

i say it because i do not want to see it.

i am hoping that peeps will unfollow more people, not see things that they dont like, and then i wont have to see the things that they will see

like, i didn't need to see that weeping angel post with all the people whinging for the fifth time and if you people would heed my advice i wouldnt have to
  • if you dont see something you will not know that it happened

ergo, if you unfollow blags that show you things that you dont like you want see more things that you dont like

it's like, if you run into a wall and hit your head, the best thing to do is not run into walls moving foreward
    yes but sometimes you trip and hit your head on a wall anyway.

Sometimes people who seem completely reasonable at first brush turn out to be assholish, rude, or simply psychotic. So sure, you can then unfollow those people, but you're not going to be inclined to until they do something stupid beforehand.

And really if Tumblr (and all social media sites really) weren't so shitty at enforcing basic standards of human decency we wouldn't have to have this discussion in the first place, because anyone who would tell someone to kill themselves over a TV show would find themselves IP banned.
  • and yeah to clarify that isnt aimed at you in specific kex
  • Because you never unfollow people when they behave badly, and you get into fights with them that make you upset, which is really not worth it.

A lot of those people are my friends. I know, know, it's not really a huge deal unfollowing someone but it is for me and many of the people I know. And I don't feel like trying to justify that.

If you want me to stop talking about it, just tell me. But I like having a place to vent.
  • Oh, I thought we were speaking in more general terms but apparently we are not.

Oh well.
  • edited 2014-04-16 21:21:16
    ^^ You could use Tumblr Saviour more judiciously and save yourself some trouble...

^ Naney was, I was not.

Also, not gonna lie: "They're just kids! They'll grown out of this!" is the only thing that makes a lot of Tumblr tolerable for me.

I kinda don't understand why you use the site when you seem to like, genuinely hate it a lot.
    *shrug*

Partly out of habit, partly out of boredom, and partly because most of the people I follow are my friends.

I dunno; I've unfollowed all the major sources of drama but somehow I still get exposed to this stuff?
  • ^^ You could use Tumblr Saviour more judiciously and save yourself some trouble...

Again, though, it's not about not seeing stuff that bothers me. 
    Kexruct said:

^^ You could use Tumblr Saviour more judiciously and save yourself some trouble...

I'm not sure what solution you're looking for then...
  • edited 2014-04-16 21:24:06

like, i dont really care who you follow/what you do in your spare time that doesnt involve me

thats your own bag

but when you do involve me, it ends up being my bag

it's like sitting at the grocery store, minding my own business, and BAM suddenly your friends dump all these apples into your cart and YOOOOOO I DIDN'T WANT THESE APPLES MAN like if you wanna have those apples yourself i wont stop you and thats neat and all but dont put them in my cart i already got a bunch of shit in there

You dig?

• Also, not gonna lie: "They're just kids! They'll grown out of this!" is the only thing that makes a lot of Tumblr tolerable for me.

*shrug*

Partly out of habit, partly out of boredom, and partly because most of the people I follow are my friends.

I dunno; I've unfollowed all the major sources of drama but somehow I still get exposed to this stuff?
    Maybe you should find some other social media outlet?

I'm not trying to boss you around but seriously like half of your tumblr posts boil down to "ugh why are these teenagers so teenagery".
    Kexruct said:

Well, making things universally stop happening is not a service that Tumblr or I can provide, but you can spare yourself from having to constantly confront dumb things that stress you out.
  • Kexruct said:

I'm not sure what solution you're looking for then...
    I'm not really looking for a solution. It's more a matter of I'd like to be able to vent without people assuming that if I ignore the thing I dislike it'll go away.
  • Kexruct said:

Well, making things universally stop happening is not a service that Tumblr or I can provide, but you can spare yourself from having to constantly confront dumb things that stress you out.
    There are quite a few problem areas that I've basically decided to not let bother me, but none of you ever notice them because, well, I don't really mention them.
    ...holy fuck, I've become a bitter old lady at only 24, haven't I?

I've thought of finding another social media outlet, but...what else is there?
  • edited 2014-04-16 21:28:33
    ^^ I'm just saying this in general, though. Having excess stress in your leisure is not very healthy, so I am suggesting ways in which to reduce that stress overall.

If it makes you feel any better, I've basically been a crazy recluse for the past four years...
  • Alright, fair enough. But the solution of "just unfollow" doesn't really work for me because that's really not something I like doing often. But there are definitely occasions when I've decided the stress just isn't worth it.
  • ...holy fuck, I've become a bitter old lady at only 24, haven't I?

Twitter?
  • edited 2014-04-16 21:38:55
    CUNTASAURUS REXXX
    What even is the point of twitter

or tumblr for that matter
  • edited 2014-04-16 21:38:39
    ^^ Twitter is also full of stupidity, though; it's just mainly adult stupidity.

^ There are some specific uses, but I get the sentiment...

Twitter?
    ...not a bad idea. It seems to piss me off less, at least.

I was worried someone was gonna suggest Facebook or something. In which case, I'd think Tumblr is the lesser of two evils! :P
  • Twitter is also full of stupidity, though; it's just mainly adult stupidity.

it's a lot easier to ignore the stupid people on twitter.

the tradeoff is that there is more self-promotion/ad-ness on twitter.

What even is the point of twitter

socializing.

Which is also the point of Tumblr, Facebook, MySpace before it was a joke, Friendster back when people knew what that was, many early IRC rooms....
  • edited 2014-04-16 21:41:19
    CUNTASAURUS REXXX
    That's the formal answer, yes, but there seems to be less socializing being done and more "ooh look what I posted aren't I special", they just seem gimmicky is what I'm trying to convey
  • That's the formal answer, yes, but there seems to be less socializing being done and more "ooh look what I posted aren't I special"

what?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I left Tumblr because it was too annoying.