Anime

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^^ Nice shout-out to Homura stealing guns from the Yakuza. One of my favourite little details in the show.

On a tangentially related note, I watched the first few episodes of two other Akiyuki Shinbo series.

The first was Arakawa Under the Bridge, which is light, zany fluff with some very cute, sweet moments in between the bizarre antics. I could probably watch the whole thing in one sitting, but it's not anything especially amazing, just fun.

The second was Bakemonogatari.

Oh was it ever.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I just love the reveal that (Madoka spoiler) Homura  has just been using conventional firearms this entire time, and is just stopping time at good times to use them, which eventully translate to her stealing military grade weapons like missles to use against the Walpurgisnacht 

So, just looked up "Walpurgisnacht":

Walpurgisnacht Ballet is a ballet made by New York City Ballet's co-founder and founding choreographer George Balanchine for a 1975 production of Gounod's 1859 Faust at the Théâtre National de l'Opéra including the additional ballet music from 1869. The New York City Ballet premiere was its first presentation as an independent work and took place on Thursday, May 15, 1980, at the New York State TheaterLincoln Center. Balanchine had previously made dances for a production of Faustat the Opéra de Monte-Carlo, danced by Diaghilev's Ballets Russes, as well as in 1935 for the Metropolitan Opera and 1945 for the Opera Naçional, Mexico City.

Walpurgisnacht is found at the beginning of the last act if Faust. Mephistopheles shows Faust the folk celebration before May Day when the souls of the dead are released briefly to wander as they will. The ballet does not directly depict Walpurgisnacht but builds on a sense of joyful revelry.

Yep. Sounds about right.
    Yeah, kooky tokusatsu fans love to act like Madoka Magica is some massive ripoff of Kamen Rider Ryuki, but really, the Faust references are way, way more prominent, particularly toward the end. The way that the show plays with the concept of tragedy in a genre context is pure Goethe.
    Also, I'm watching Bokurano. It is sad. Incredibly sad. Also really disturbing at points: While the show doesn't go out of its way to show the worst of people—it seems just as comfortable showing even bad people as being capable of doing good things—it does not shy away from some real human ugliness.

With children.

This show is not for the faint-hearted.

I saw a few episodes of that, couldn't really get into it.

Possibly because I didn't catch it all the way at the beginning, but I couldn't bring myself to actually care about the children. 

Compare to Madoka where they spend a lot of time with each character so there was way more emotional investment there.
    I'm watching it from the beginning, so I guess my perspective is going to be pretty different. I actually really like the character writing; it's subtle, but poignant. The way that they approach the premise is interesting, too.

Dear $%^&@#
    Thanks for signing my petition, "International Astronomical Union: Change the official name of nebula NGC 6357 to the "Madokami nebula"." 
    Can you help this petition win by asking your friends to sign too? It's easy to share with your friends on Facebook - just click here to share the petition on Facebook. 
    There's also a sample email below that you can forward to your friends. 
    Thanks again -- together we're making change happen, 
    Andrew Jaqua 
    ---------
    Note to forward to your friends:
    Hi!
    I just signed the petition "International Astronomical Union: Change the official name of nebula NGC 6357 to the "Madokami nebula"" on Change.org.
    It's important. Will you sign it too? Here's the link:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/international-astronomical-union-change-the-official-name-of-nebula-ngc-6357-to-the-madokami-nebula
    Thanks!
    $%^&$^%&*

I'm all for naming Pink Nebulas to the names of Anime characters, but I don't think I could in good conscious suggest to anyone that "it's important".
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure really is almost too fabulous to exist.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    just watched C

i rather liked it but I feel like it could have been waaaaay better if it had been a bit better written
    I've heard that. It seems like an interesting concept with great visuals but lacklustre scripting, which given the quality of the writing in that team's previous effort (Mononoke) is pretty disappointing.

I still intend to watch it, however, if only because of the aforementioned visuals.
  • edited 2013-02-10 07:27:52
    Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I would still recommend watching it, because even with the lackluster writing I still think it's pretty great.

It just feels like an uncut gem instead of a shining jewel.
    I understand.

Have you seen Mononoke yet? If not, you should; it's a lovely series. A bit cold and weird for some people's tastes, admittedly, but I found it hypnotic.
    This is something different from the Mononoke who is also a princess, yes?

In either case, I haven't seen it.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Princess Mononoke is a Ghibli movie. Mononoke is a series that spun off another series but is far more popular.

And I've always said that C had a lot of potential, especially with the SMT vibes it gives off, but ended up wasting it.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    animes :)
  • edited 2013-02-10 12:35:31
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^^ Yeah, I'm referring to the Kenji Nakamura-directed spin-off of Ayakashi: Samurai Tales here. This said, Princess Mononoke is an absolutely exceptional film.

See both.

^^ [C] The Money and Soul of Possibility is an anime series about economics... sort of. Among other things, the financial district is another dimension, and there are demons and things that symbolise economic concepts. It's complicated and really abstract.

Mononoke is another anime series by the same staff. This one is ostensibly about an exorcist of sorts ("humble medicine peddler," my rear) travelling Japan in the 19th century. It is extremely symbolic and eerie as all get out, like Mushishi on bad acid.

Both shows are by the same animation team. Both are quite visually striking and really, really weird.

The same guys also did Kuuchuu Buranko, also known as Trapeze, which is about an eccentric psychiatrist and apparently makes the other two look tame by comparison; and Tsuritama, which is much less bizarre but apparently still a lot of fun.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    I love Crayon Shin-chan. So funny.

Just a few little lines here and there...
  • edited 2013-02-15 15:22:51
    Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    So I guess my anime club is watching Kara no Kyoukai this Saturday.

Anybody know what I'm getting in to? Thoughts, opinions?
    Depends on which one they're watching, since the series was released in anachronic order.
  • So I guess my anime club is watching Kara no Kyoukai this Saturday.

Anybody know what I'm getting in to? Thoughts, opinions?
    It's a series of 7 movies and it does a lot of non-chronological order and mildly mind screwy storytelling. The quality of the movies varies from movie to movie. The first one was decent and largely introduces the setting and the characters, 2 & 4 deal with back story stuff, 3 is good, but mildly soul crushing, 5 is great, 6 is fillerish but decent and I've been kind of scared to watch 7 so I haven't seen it yet, but it's supposed to be as good as 5 was or better, depending on who you ask.
    If nothing else, 7 is a lot less confusing than 5.
    It's also worth noting that the animation is truly incredible.
    Hey, everyone.

Kino's Journey is awesome. Go buy it or something.
  • googling that it sounds delightful
    I've placed it in my Netflix queue because I would really feel bad about torrenting the show and there are only two episodes online legally...

No, seriously, those two episodes made one hell of an impression on me, especially the second one. I really want this show now, and I am downright furious that I lack the necessary dosh to grab it.

Or do I...?

Hmm...

Hey, everyone.

Kino's Journey is awesome. Go buy it or something.

I guess you have to question who you're hoping will reap the benefits of the money you spend on it. I'm not sure they're even making copies of it anymore (unless there's been a special edition recently) so any money spent might likely just go into a secondary market.

Friday owns the series on DVD... I should watch the OVA at some point, though Friday mentioned it wasn't on par with the series.
    You have a point, but I would really like a physical copy of this one...
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    So I'm 4 episodes into both Mawaru Penguindrum and Kaiba, and they're both pretty great.

Kaiba especially. It's like Neverhood meets The Little Prince meets cyberpunk.

You have a point, but I would really like a physical copy of this one...

Physical copies are pretty swell. Friday and I could easily make a fort out of all our DVD and Blu-ray cases. 
  • i am watching Black Lagoon

it seems nice so far
    Sub or dub?
  • sub

i prefer subtitles in general
    Black Lagoon is an interesting case, in that its dub is generally well regarded.
  • edited 2013-02-19 16:37:10

amen, hallelujah, peanut butter

yeah

this show is great

certifiably rad
    So I'm 4 episodes into both Mawaru Penguindrum and Kaiba, and they're both pretty great.

Kaiba especially. It's like Neverhood meets The Little Prince meets cyberpunk.
    Kaiba is an amazing show. The plot (when it kicks in) is a bit confusing and haphazard), but it's still a joy to watch all the way through, and the finale is just glorious.

Of course, Yuasa's next series was even better, but it's a very different ball of wax.

i wanna know where this is from
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    it's from an anime
  • Naney said:

It's from Nichijou
  • Naney said:

Nichijou.

Available on Crunchyroll but unfortunately there is no dub.

Most hilarious thing about this anime is that it gets derided as moeshit all the time by people who haven't seen it.

• thank you

and i prefer subs anyways so yeah
    Oxo cubes: Truly the greatest of hair decorations.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    A brand of stock cube, used to flavour gravy.
    I like good dubs

But good dubs can be pretty scarce