Anime

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    THERE'S JUST SEVEN (or three) "BO"s! GEEZ!

Bobobo is very random, but I found it hilarious. There's SOME stuff that's kinda hard to get if you're not super familiar with Japanese culture, but it's not as bad as Milk-chan or Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.

It's actually pretty comparable to those two, except there's not really any sort of statement or philosophy trying to be explored like Zetsubou Sensei and it's not as crude or mired in cultural references like Milk-chan.

And, yeah..probably apparent, but I could never get into Milk-Chan.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is fantastic, and I need to read more of my manga pile and also watch the second season.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Sorry, it's just one of those words, like bananananana or Anonononononus.

i am not remotely familiar with Japanese culture.

You'd probably be fine with bobobo, not sure if you've watched Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, but the themes are universal enough that it's enjoyable even if other animes are mostly the other frame of reference. 

Milk-chan basically requires that one have lived in Japan for an extended period of time to get most the jokes.
  • I told a friend that I liked BoBowhatevsect. and she flipped her shit
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Can this be a thread for manga too?
    So manga!

If you like horror manga go read Uzumaki, then read other stuff Junji Ito has done. If you are a fan of batshit insanity, read Fourteen, which is about a chicken man and not by Junji Ito.

If you are interested in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but are afraid of dealing with poor translation and scan quality, try reading Part 7 first. It's meant to be sort of a new start to the series and is one of the strongest parts, IMO. If you like it enough, read the rest of the manga up to that point, because there's a moment in Part 8 that is an insanely awesome revelation, but only makes sense if you have read Part 4.

Also once the anime is done with this season, you can probably use it to fill in parts 1 and 2 for you. There's also an OVA for part 3 that's okay but not as good.
    You should.

Go read it.

It's calling for you Mojave Music.

It knows your name.
  • Junji Ito manga is one of my least favorite things in the world.

Junji Ito manga is one of my least favorite things in the world.

What about raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens?
  • Junji Ito manga is one of my least favorite things in the world.

:<
  • I like both of those things fine actually.

Naney said:

I told a friend that I liked BoBowhatevsect. and she flipped her shit

What? Why? It's just sorta completely random. That's like flipping your shit over Adventure Time.
  • She is that one who thinks andrew hussie is a terrible art thief and has a deviantart account
  • Justice42 said:

Friday asks if you meant Brotherhood or the old one.

She did not like Brotherhood, but loved the first one.

I prefer Brotherhood, but admit there are some cool plot elements of the first anime. 
    You know, I'm one of the few people who never really got into the first FMA anime. It wasn't bad by any means, but I dunno. I tried watching the first two episodes and wasn't really able to get into it. All the little things that they changed from the first two chapters just threw the pacing off for me. I mean the FMA manga isn't flawless by any means, but I felt doing the Lior arc in two episodes was too slow. Then again, the Lior episode in Brotherhood felt too rushed, so eh.
    a8 said:

i tried watching it once and i thought it was awful.

Same here. I got through a third of the first episode and lost interest.

Watched the first half of Madoka Magicka with a friend of mine.

We're going to finish it today or tomorrow. 

Good stuff! Any issues I have are nitpicks so far. I enjoy how surreal the witch mazes are.

Probably have much more to say once I've finished.
  • edited 2013-01-30 13:55:45
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Finished it.

Any complaints I have are mostly nit-picky. Save for certain plot points being kinda predictable.

Except for like the last three episodes. I saw basically none of that coming and it was awesome in the classic since of the word of inspiring real "awe".
  • edited 2013-01-30 17:49:49
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Madoka Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    When the Puella Magi Madoka Magica film[13] project was announced in November 2011, the creators of the series made custom movie tickets with a perforated edge across Mami’s neck, which allowed the head to be removed from the ticket. The tickets were featured on the Ferret205 Tumblr blog[14] and the Ask Headless Mami Tumblr blog.[15]

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    HOLY JESUS
  • if i wished to watch Madoka how would i go about doing so?

I torrented it, but that's because I crave HD.
    Hulu has it.
  • Hulu is for faggots that watch advertising.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I watched it on Hulu...

I generally selectively space out during advertisements.

It was worth 1080p.

Hopefully when the dub hits blu-ray, they'll do it in 5.1.

It'd be SUPER cool if they redo the Japanese version in 5.1 as well, but I'll take what I get.

• edited 2013-01-31 18:14:19

can someone tell me if this is the actual dialogue here, and if so what the name of the show is?
  • edited 2013-01-31 18:36:26
    (flower path)
    It's Mawaru-Penguindrum, from Kunihiko Ikuhara of Utena fame.  And I think I remember a scene with dialogue along those lines, although anything translated from Japanese into English with that much profanity is a very loose translation.
  • Naney said:

can someone tell me if this is the actual dialogue here, and if so what the name of the show is?
    Yes. It's the incest-themed Mawaru Penguindrum, and from what I understand it's only worth your time if you like profanity and/or fanservice.
  • Googling it it looks fairly entertaining.
  • A taxidermy girl named Himari Takakura is miraculously saved from death by a strange spirit who resides in a penguin-shaped hat. However, in exchange for extending her life, the spirit tasks Himari's brothers, Kanba and Shouma, to seek out an elusive item known as the Penguin Drum with assistance from a trio of strange penguins.

i really see no way that that could be bad.
  • I have alternately heard that it's great and that it's terrible.

I have no plans on seeing it so I don't know.

• incest-themed
    what
    only worth your time if you like profanity and/or fanservice.
    side-eyin' you
  • edited 2013-01-31 18:46:36

spinor said:

incest-themed
    what

everybody knows about the wacky incestuous shenanigans that penguins get up to.
  • side-eyin' you

I made it pretty  clear that I've never seen it also you really managed to make yourself hard to quote here and I'm not sure how.

Besides everyone knows that the best wacky anime is PaniPoniDash.

• Pani Poni Dash!'s central storyline revolves around Rebecca Miyamoto, class 1-C's child prodigy homeroom teacher, and the antics of class 1-C. The characters attend a high school called the Peach Moon Academy (桃月学園 Momotsuki Gakuen?) where Rebecca has taken up a job as one of the teachers after being the youngest graduate at M.I.T. and is being watched by Aliens that are in space and screw up the story every now and then. Though the story never strays from the focus of the four first year classes labeled 1-A through 1-D, the mishaps that occur in them, the teacher's lounge, and on school trips also become sources of material for topical allusions regarding satire, anime, Internet, gaming, and popular culture.

sounds bleh
  • That is literally the worst possible way to describe that show.

Why would you describe PaniPoniDash without using the words "omnipotent, possibly evil cat-god"?

I think you got your sources pretty screwed up with Mawaru Penguindrum, Mojave.

Granted, the Sentai Filmworks dub is apparently reasonably profane at points—and the official subtitles seem to be ripped directly from the dub script—but the show itself isn't. It's just... it's a Kunihiko Ikuhara project. He did Revolutionary Girl Utena. He likes symbolism. A lot. A lot a lot. As in, everything is symbolic to some degree, even if it looks completely stupid at first blush.

So don't brush it off because some dumbass on the Internet didn't get it.
  • can we concentrate on the fact that that wiki thing Naney quoted managed to make PaniPoniDash sound boring.
    Well, you managed to make Penguindrum sound like OniAi...

Although to be fair, of the many things that Pani Poni Dash! may be, "boring" is not one of them.
  • just finished panty and stocking

the twist ending was... very unexpected
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I've been watching more anime lately.

Saw all of Steins;Gate (which is FANTASTIC by the way) and currently watching Fate/stay night (which is okay).

Angel Beat has improved. It's could pace itself a bit more, but it's only a 13 episode series, so It's doing pretty well. I don't know what convinced the writers/writer to create TWO girls who mostly just spout off catch phrases multiple times an episode though. Their characters would be much better if they both shut the hell up every once and a while. Funny, because one of the girls is actually the quietest in the whole series.

I need to watch more  Fate/stay night.
    Angel Beats! was originally supposed to be a twenty-six episode series; they cut that in half when production was already underway, if I recall correctly. Additionally, the writer was used to penning visual novels, so they had to trim the dialogue down significantly even after that.

I think that explains a lot...

Yes it does.

Also, I forgot that there is also a male character that basically has a catch phrase and it starts to suck when all three characters are in an episode and I have to hear each catch phrase at least three times.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    so Fate/Stay Night was pretty mediocre.

I've heard that the visual novel is basically just plain better, but eh. I dun wanna do it.
    I've heard that Fate/zero is markedly better (as in, genuinely excellent), but I haven't seen it.