Anime

Comments

• LWLW
    edited 2014-11-18 19:19:43

^ re what I did or re your own experience?

I was talking about my own experience in watching Madoka. Sorry for not being clearer in my post.
  • has anyone here seen psycho-pass?

i watched the first episode and it struck me as rather HERP-DERP EJJY AS FUK but apparently lots of people really liked it so maybe i'll wanna try and get further in to see if it opens up more
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    naney said:

has anyone here seen psycho-pass?

i watched the first episode and it struck me as rather HERP-DERP EJJY AS FUK but apparently lots of people really liked it so maybe i'll wanna try and get further in to see if it opens up more
    it definitely stays violent but IIRC the first episode was the worst as far as the 2edgy stuff goes
  • edited 2014-11-18 21:08:58
    LW said:

^ re what I did or re your own experience?

I was talking about my own experience in watching Madoka. Sorry for not being clearer in my post.
    Ah, I see; no worries.  Well, it seems that I share your opinion on watching Madoka Magica over a short period of time.
  • Done with Tokyo Ghoul!

Fun character development in the last episode!
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    naney said:

Done with Tokyo Ghoul!

Fun character development in the last episode!
    I was filled with raeg because I didn't know there was gonna be a sequel anime.
  • also i watched the first episode of Natsume Yujin-cho

looks cute & promising
    I finished Fate/Zero

A male character TOTALLY gets punished for hubris. Checkmate Tumblr.
  • Not all Servants -tips Holy Grail-
  • quick question in which order should one watch fate/zero and fate/stay night
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    it doesn't really matter, but Zero spoils a few of Night's big plot developments
  • so i guess i'll watch Night first then
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    although I think the developments I'm talking about are also spoiled for Night in Zero...
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I would advise taking up the new adaptation over the older one, however; the latter looks pretty subpar, and apparently adapts the least interesting of three possible arcs. The new version of Unlimited Blade Works will serve you well... or so I have been told.
  • eh i've decided to watch something else
    That is also a good option.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I entered the Fate series pretty much spoiled on everything.

Personally, watch Zero first (to see how it all began), and then follow Unlimited Blade Works.
  • edited 2014-11-22 19:56:18
    For some reason I am unable to make myself interested in the Fate/ series.  (I mean no offense to anyone; just commenting.)

In the meantime I watched La Maison en Petits Cubes.  It was very good.
  • kill living beings
    it was
    Yes, it is.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
  • I think I may be late on this one but my brother and I are about halfway through Noragami

is gud
    http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/11/27-1/anime-to-adapt-project-itohs-nihon-sf-taisho-award-honored-the-empire-of-corpses

Interesting.

Itoh is a writer I've always been interested in, but have never gotten around to reading.

• magical boys coming soon apparently
  • edited 2014-11-30 04:36:40
    is this serious?

would be nice if it is, if only to make the "magical girl" genre less blatantly gender-lopsided
  • i see no indications that it isn't serious and coming in 2015 and also the pink dude is cute
  • also blonde dude in the middle
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Should be a fun time for all
  • edited 2014-12-01 05:31:42
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Indeed.

Also! BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad is pretty damn good. It's about some teenagers forming a band, sort of. Nails the whole insane ambition that kids in high school have about that sort of thing, and how awkward people can be when trying not to be awkward.

Oh, and the Eunyoung Choi episode of Space Dandy was hella trippy and bittersweet.
  • they have a bunch of DVDs of that at the library i volunteer at
    It's definitely worth a look.

I am currently watching it in dub for a couple of curious reasons, which I normally would not do with a show like that. But it works.
  • edited 2014-12-06 13:16:57
    My dreams exceed my real life
    Lesbears

Lesbears
    lesbears
    yuri bear storm
  • i kinda hate the way hype is built by being really strange/absurd/etc. in premise
  • it's almost like a freakshow sometimes

i kinda hate the way hype is built by being really strange/absurd/etc. in premise

Lesbears by Utena
    Honestly there would not be nearly as much hype for yuri bear storm if Kunihiko Ikuhara weren't involved
  • fuck that reminds me i only watched two episodes of penguindrum
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    naney said:

also i watched the first episode of Natsume Yujin-cho

looks cute & promising
    I enjoyed it. I think the word I'd use to describe it would be "endearing." 
  • I'm starting to wonder whether the whole "mono no aware" thing appeals to me.

I think it actually might.

It might explain why I actually enjoyed Endless 8.  Despite expecting myself not to.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i also enjoyed Endless 8.

Mono no aware might have been part of it.

But also, i enjoyed seeing the different ways they could animate the same sequence of events.

And how they could change the mood of the story by making subtle changes in terms of lighting, visual style, objects focused upon, sound, and so on.
  • I really liked the Haruhi Suzumiya anime, and it's a bit disappointing that it's kind of acquired a reputation as chuuni bait.
  • I really liked the Haruhi Suzumiya anime, and it's a bit disappointing that it's kind of acquired a reputation as chuuni bait.

How so?

I'm not familiar with Chunnibiyou nor how Haruhi relates to it.

How so?

I'm not familiar with Chunnibiyou nor how Haruhi relates to it.
    ie people think it's for 13 year olds
  • i think i'll watch Lain after i'm done with finals week here
  • ...wait, I think I'm missing something here.

Does Chunnibiyou have especially more of a reputation as "being for 13-year-olds" than most other anime series?  Otherwise I'm not sure why it's called "chunni bait".
  • ...wait, I think I'm missing something here.

Does Chunnibiyou have especially more of a reputation as "being for 13-year-olds" than most other anime series?  Otherwise I'm not sure why it's called "chunni bait".

chunnibyou is a term meaning (roughly) "8th grade syndrome" and refers to a specific phase in a young person's life when they think they are special snowflakes/have special powers/whatever.

I might be spelling it wrong.

That is to say, the sort of demographic that say, Naruto, or Bleach is aimed at.
  • naney said:

i think i'll watch Lain after i'm done with finals week here

this is a good idea.
  • edited 2014-12-09 22:12:06
    ^^ Oh I see.  Never knew that.

Well I've watched Haruhi myself and I think it's Actually Pretty Funny.  (Which is sort of a big thing coming from me since I have like no taste for anime comedy.)

I can see how some people would think that.  It's definitely a story that could be interpreted in multiple ways.

I remember how crazy TVT was about it a few years ago.  That's when I first heard about it, pretty much.

Only recently did I get interested enough to actually go and check it out.  And I guess it was a good thing I did, since I like what I saw.  And without particularly liking any of the characters, either!  (Except maybe Kyon, who is basically the audience-perspective character.)