Anime

Comments

• i like a story where the basic gist and tone are conveyed in a mostly non-obtrusive and very hooky manner within the first 15 minutes
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    That is nice, although I also like stories that take awhile to unfurl before you.
  • More might unfurl later for all i know

i meant more that most of the worldbuilding, the introduction of the protagonist and his being put into the action were done in a pleasing and expedient manner
    Ah, good.
  • first episode finished

im sold
  • Rage of Bahamut was pitched to me as "anime Pirates of the Caribbean" so I might watch it
  • putting "anime" and "bahamut" in the same sentence means something different to me now that i've seen leviathan: the last defense
    I heard that show was mad atrocious. Like one of those situations where you could actually waste less of your time watching Bleach or something.
  • man bodacious space pirates was so disappointing
    Yeah, I've heard it's disappointing, but still a better use of your time than that show Glenn mentioned.
  • edited 2014-11-11 05:35:55
    ehh, i was actually kinda entertained by leviathan the last defense

it was kinda cutedorable and amusing

though i was surprised at the DVD selling for $35+
  • edited 2014-11-11 05:45:17
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    A reviewer with whom I am acquainted who avowedly loves silly fluff called it, and I quote, "a failure in every single aspect of what makes a show good."

Given what I've seen of it, I'm going to trust his judgement here.
  • edited 2014-11-11 05:47:15
    Which is to say that it's fine to enjoy not-so-good things, but every dreck warning siren in my head goes off like crazy when reading about it, so I would probably not glean similar entertainment from it.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I put Bahamut on the watchlist because the art style looked intriguing.
  • edited 2014-11-11 06:50:38
    ^^ it doesn't exactly tell a complete story; it feels more like chapter 1 of a larger story that's about 2-5 chapters long

and apparently it's based on some card game or something

which wouldn't be the first time something outlandish got a story somehow made out of it -- i mean, there's sea story

also there's the sexual dimorphism weirdness where the girls get dragon body parts while the guys look like orcs
  • i think your friend might also have been annoyed that levia-tan's brother thingy is never resolved

it's a hole if you expect it to get resolved, i guess

i felt it didn't go anywhere and so i see the validity of the criticism, though i think i just stopped caring at some point

honestly though, if you're ever going to deal with a fantasy setting, you have to do one of three things:
    * carefully construct the broad-scale setting and story so that it's clear what goes and what doesn't in your setting mechanically
    * show only a narrow slice of the setting and make sure that everything fantastical makes sense in it
    * stuff just happens sometimes, without adequate explanation, the justification in the audience's mind being that something is working in a mysterious way that we don't yet understand
  • also it had good OP and soundtrack
  • incidentally, first few notes of the leviathan OP make it suggest the RWBY season 1 OP
    I think his issues were a little broader-ranging than that...
  • edited 2014-11-11 07:17:26
    To summarise Mr. Høgset's complaints in a simple, straightforward fashion: The character writing and setting are poorly-executed and lifeless clichés; the plotting is listless and chases its own tail over details that progress nothing; the worldbuilding and plot contradict themselves at various points; and, to add insult to injury, the animation and art even that good, meaning that even the pervasive fanservice can't hold its own weight.

And I know Stig. Not exceptionally well, but well enough to know that he is willing to give stuff that I wouldn't look twice at a second chance if it's endearing enough. This did not cut it.
    (Nick Browne and I are the most like-minded, in terms of THEM's review staff, but he wouldn't touch that one with a ten foot pole. He did, however, suffer through Photo Kano for his art, and I respect that.)
  • lol, i forgot about the fanservice

i don't remember contradictions, though i think i can see the "chases its own tail" criticism

and yeah, cliches

though i guess the impact of cliches is lessened if i go into a show with...not much in the way of expectations, period

didn't notice anything particularly bad about the animation and art, though i haven't gathered enough data on that to say how my tastes in it stand relative to the average

anyway i think i just thought it was sort of a fun romp

i did rec it for my snarking group, fwiw

and i sure as hell am not forking over $35 for it
    Fanservice tends to pass you by more than the average bear.

But yeah, I can imagine something like that being unintentionally hilarious with the right circle of friends.
  • edited 2014-11-11 07:26:10
    i'm not even sure it was meant to be taken seriously anyway, lol

far as i could tell it seemed to come with a sense of humorous self-mockery attached, which i think was what led to my enjoyment of it

if i tried to take it seriously i would have dropped it
    If I'm going to watch something silly with a lot of questionable content and bizarre worldbuilding, I have Kill la Kill. I don't need weaker tea.
  • edited 2014-11-11 07:30:26
    something about kill la kill just rubs me the wrong way

it's like, there's questionable content and bizarre worldbuilding, and then there's questionable content and bizarre worldbuilding turned up to 11 and used as the chief attraction
  • edited 2014-11-11 07:44:22
    The chief attraction is that it's very funny and fast-paced and the art and animation are really well-executed. That a sizeable chunk of the cast consists of women with agency and distinct personalities is a pleasant secondary concern. The nudity is just kind of there after a certain point, and it's clearly meant mostly as a send-up of the post-Go Nagai school of "battle vixen" anime—which is part of the humour.

(OK, given the intense '80s-ness, it's probably more a send-up of Go Nagai's own stuff like Cutie Honey more than shows like Ikki Tousen, although both are parodied... but you get the point.)
    Also!

Bokurano will be on DVD in America in 2015!

0w0
  • my sister is enjoying jjba
    Good to hear!
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    It's a good show.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

If you go down to the woods today
    You're sure of a big surprise.
    If you go down to the woods today
    You'd better go in disguise!

For every bear that ever there was
    Will gather there for certain,
    Because today's the day the
    Teddy Bears have their picnic!

• oh this is why people were talking about bears and yuri in the TVT anime/manga chatterbox thread.

well now i have a name (the weird-sounding "Yuri Bear Storm") to put on this nonsense.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Lesbears
  • kill living beings
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    OMG RAR
  • edited 2014-11-16 09:53:48

Rage of Bahamut was pitched to me as "anime Pirates of the Caribbean" so I might watch it

That's pretty much what it is, yeah.

I heard that show was mad atrocious. Like one of those situations where you could actually waste less of your time watching Bleach or something.

Wow, that's the first time I've heard so much vitriol against it. It's just another generic fantasy anime that isn't taking itself too seriously. Definitely not as horrible as Bleach is.
  • wait were you talking about Bahamut
    Acererak said:

wait were you talking about Bahamut

No, Zettai Boei Leviathan.

Rage of Bahamut I am unfamiliar with, but I've heard no bile.
  • Oh OK

Disregard everything I just said then. I was thinking "wow, if you hate Bahamut, you'll loathe Lodoss War"
    Naw, I'm pretty OK with D'n'D-esque fantasy if it's done right. I'm really curious about The Vision of Escaflowne in particular.
  • list of things i plan on using as random watch material or snarking material for my anime club seminar series gathering a few friends who are bored with the main club activities and going aside to watch some stuff on our own:

Symphogear*
    Leviathan: the Last Defense*
    The Tower of Druaga: the Sword of Uruk**
    Sands of Destruction
    Moyashimon
    Haruhi

* will wait until a certain person gets back from his being away for a semester, since these were previously promised to him

** need to get only those people who've seen The Aegis of Uruk already

things i've already used as such
    Ys 1 & 2
    Madoka Magica
    The Tower of Druaga: the Aegis of Uruk
    Moyashimon is a thing I am going to watch at some point because it looks cute and weird and reasonably intelligent, which is unfortunately a rare combination.
  • Gankutsuou is a truly excellent show. You should all watch it.
  • edited 2014-11-17 09:12:22
    No offense to you, or to Gankutsuou, but I think I've stopped putting things on my watchlist due solely to them being recommended as really good.

(I know I could have not said this, but I wanted to put this on the table as a discussion topic.  Again, I mean no offense.)
  • edited 2014-11-17 09:16:45
    Acererak said:

Gankutsuou is a truly excellent show. You should all watch it.

I need to start that one again. I really, really liked what I saw, but I'm somewhat on the fence as to whether I should go with the dub or the sub given how much is going on visually and story-wise.

^ I tend to add things to my list not so much because people say they are good, but because people whose opinions I respect give me good reasons to watch them or seem to really appreciate them.
  • LWLW
    edited 2014-11-18 18:31:38

In hindsight, marathoning through Madoka in two days might not have been the best idea. It did provide some closure though, I guess.
  • ^ re what I did or re your own experience?

^^ i usually add stuff to my list based on whether it strikes my fancy.  i have not figured out what makes something strike my fancy.
  • in case i have not made it explicit i am very much enjoying Tokyo Ghoul