is it pronounced "gif" or "gif"

Comments

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    When I first heard it in my head, it was with a hard 'g'. My path was laid out for me long ago.

Now is the time, the time when hard 'g' and soft 'g' clash. Now is the time that we decide who wins.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    MachSpeed said:

If you're saying it with a hard g and you find out the developers pronounced it with a soft g, switch to a soft g. Otherwise you're being a dick for no reason.

No.
    Why? What do you have to gain from continuing to use the hard g that's worth disrespecting the creators for?
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    do the creators even really care that much
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

MachSpeed said:

I'm not going out of my way.

This is my way.
    What does that even mean?

It's like when I correct people for using "EST" instead of "EDT" after times from March-November. Instead of just saying "oh yeah, you're right, I'll stop doing that" they go all "WELL EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT I MEAN ANYWAYS"

If you're saying it with a hard g and you find out the developers pronounced it with a soft g, switch to a soft g. Otherwise you're being a dick for no reason.
    Using the word the way everyone i know offline uses it, the way i expect to be understood, the way i have always used it and the way that comes most natural to me, i don't have to stop and process before saying it, it's just intuitive and straightforward to me (whereas the other way isn't) . . . that's "being a dick"?

Why?

i have to go eat now but i have more to say on this subject
  • edited 2015-12-02 19:00:22
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    If there's an objective reality, we can't perceive without our filters, so it might as well not exist.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Calica said:

It doesn't matter. I care. :|

Tachyon said:

MachSpeed said:

This is my way.

It's like when I correct people for using "EST" instead of "EDT" after times from March-November. Instead of just saying "oh yeah, you're right, I'll stop doing that" they go all "WELL EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT I MEAN ANYWAYS"

Using the word the way everyone i know offline uses it, the way i expect to be understood, the way i have always used it and the way that comes most natural to me, i don't have to stop and process before saying it, it's just intuitive and straightforward to me (whereas the other way isn't) . . . that's "being a dick"?

Why?

Because you're effectively saying to the creator "I know you didn't intend for it to be said this way, but I don't care."
  • why on earth should one care?

(for the record I pronounce it jif)
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    What makes them worthy of respect?
    Not y'know, basic human respect, this isn't it, this is pronounciation bullshit, which has a special status outside of basic human respect.
  • i think it's pronounced "gif"

why on earth should one care?

(for the record I pronounce it jif)

I don't know, I just keep thinking...if it was me, and I made some popular thing, and I said "it's called this" but people called it something else no matter how many times I reiterated my point...I'd be pretty damn angry.

Wouldn't you?
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

Calica said:

It doesn't matter. I care. :|

Tachyon said:

MachSpeed said:

This is my way.

Why?

Because you're effectively saying to the creator "I know you didn't intend for it to be said this way, but I don't care."
    ... You just said you don't care about what the creators think, although your entire argument was based around what the creators think.

You should really rethink your logic.
  • edited 2015-12-02 19:05:06
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    There's no logic in play here. It's emotional projection.

And no, Central, I wouldn't be upset, because I can't control people, and trying to do so is not useful.
    OK i must go but i'm annoyed now so i just wanna say

independent of all the theoretical stuff

you know i have difficulty adopting new terms into my vocabulary, i've told you this before and you responded

fair if you forgot but i'm reminding you now in that case

even if i know something will be considered wrong, like i say 'lunch' for 'tea' and vice versa, i HATE being corrected on that, but i never remember before i say it

apparently this makes me a dick

alright, i guess it's good to know you feel that way, thanks
    the equivalent to "elmer season", of course, is a treatise on descriptive linguistics
  • edited 2015-12-02 19:07:00
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Due to my accent, I commonly drop hs from the start of words. Am I disrespecting the origin of these words by doing so?
    pronounce everything as the proto-indo-europeans did or you're disrespecting them i guess
  • Due to my accent, I commonly drop hs from tbe start of words. Am I disrespecting the origin of these words by doing so?

I'LL HAVE YOU A HERB-TASTING DUEL ON MY HONOR
    there was a period of time in which i was resentful of speaking a language which went through the great vowel shift, english's vowels are fucked up compared to everyone else's
  • MachSpeed said:

If there's an objective reality, we can't perceive without our filters, so it might as well not exist.

It still exists as it's possible to approach it with better estimations.
  • Calica said:

there was a period of time in which i was resentful of speaking a language which went through the great vowel shift, english's vowels are fucked up compared to everyone else's

fuck the schwa
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

Due to my accent, I commonly drop hs from tbe start of words. Am I disrespecting the origin of these words by doing so?

I'LL HAVE YOU A HERB-TASTING DUEL ON MY HONOR
    Herb is actually a word that is never H-dropped over here. :P

Calica said:

fuck the schwa
    fuck the "long a"
    I just don't get why it has to be a big deal.

You will expend almost zero effort by switching to the pronunciation the creator chose, so why not just do it?

Why do you have to insist on continuing to say it wrong once you know better? What do you gain from that?
    I didn't say, "we can't perceive it without our filters." I said "we can't perceive without our filters." What we sense and understand is always filtered. Our input, processing, conclusions, output; all filtered. 
    It's actually a lot of effort, and I'm not wrong.
    MachSpeed said:

Now you're just being contrary for the sake of being contrary.

How is it "a lot of effort" to switch one sound in a one-syllable word you probably don't even say aloud all that often?

And, yes, you are wrong, because the creator disagrees with you.
    This is just starting to sound like fucking nonsense to me.

"I say it with a hard g."

"Well, that's wrong. The creator says it with a soft g."

"THAT DOESN'T MAKE ME WRONG!!"

like jesus fuck how can you people actually get through life if you think like that

if you write someone's name as Marissa and she tells you her name only has one s do you say "well i'm not wrong because this is subjective!!"??

MachSpeed said:

Now you're just being contrary for the sake of being contrary.

How is it "a lot of effort" to switch one sound in a one-syllable word you probably don't even say aloud all that often?

And, yes, you are wrong, because the creator disagrees with you.
    you did see tachy's posts about how this sort of thing actually is really difficult for them, right?
    Mary married a merry little cherry.
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    I just remember every time I pronounced it with a soft g in high school people would give me shit for it and I just switched to hard g so that nerds that care too much about stupid shit wouldn't bug me every time I say a simple word. Well, LOOK AT ME NOW, HARD G PEONS.
    It's not that it's a lot of effort it's that i literally CAN'T

not dropping my 'h's is another one that gives me trouble, i wouldn't be able to communicate verbally AT ALL if you were asking me to NEVER get that wrong
  • This is just starting to sound like fucking nonsense to me.

like jesus fuck how can you people actually get through life if you think like that
    with the utmost of ease?
  • edited 2015-12-02 19:16:07
    Because it's in my head. There are lots of things in my head. Hard to untangle.

And so what if they're the creator? It doesn't matter. I'm right because of my argument, and my argument is this: the hard 'g' is better because it rhymes with "gift," which is better than peanut butter.

with the utmost of ease?
    So am I "not wrong" if I insist your name is pronounced like "Emily"?

Or is that something you get to decide for yourself
    and i apologize for my outburst up there but i was already kinda pissed off because like, ok, i don't know a whole lot, but this is something i HAVE studied, and apparently that doesn't mean anything, apparently you can dismiss me offhand and insult the vast majority of people in the field i studied because you happen to feel differently

i wouldn't even mind THAT so much but me and Mach Speed repeatedly gave you explanations of why the theory is the way it is and you straight up IGNORED us every time!
    Getting people's names right is basic human respect.

As I said, this is not that. This shit has a special status that is not covered by basic respect.

with the utmost of ease?

Are you seriously bringing identity politics into this?

MachSpeed said:

This shit has a special status that is not covered by basic respect.
    [citation needed]

Tachyon said:

and i apologize for my outburst up there but i was already kinda pissed off because like, ok, i don't know a whole lot, but this is something i HAVE studied, and apparently that doesn't mean anything, apparently you can dismiss me offhand and insult the vast majority of people in the field i studied because you happen to feel differently

i wouldn't even mind THAT so much but me and Mach Speed repeatedly gave you explanations of why the theory is the way it is and you straight up IGNORED us every time!

I don't even know anymore...like, I understand what you guys are saying about why the theory is the way it is, but I don't know if I'm ready to accept that works don't have an objectively correct meaning. Because, if I accept that, it implies nothing is objective, and so I don't really know anything. The sky is blue. Is the sky blue? How can I know that objectively?

with the utmost of ease?

nobody would know who you meant

we might think you were referring to Toolsie

also that particular example is tangled up with personal identity, to say nothing of gender, so it's not at all equivalent

getting people's names right is just basic manners, and for some reason you're generalizing that to all interpretation because..?
    The thing we call the sky is also a thing that we call blue.

It's a shortcut. It's all shortcuts.
    i mean you could talk about wavelengths.  You could talk about how the eye works, you could talk about how brains work.  You could talk about language.

"The sky is blue" is a simple statement, as statements go, but when you stop to analyze the meaning of it it's actually rather complicated.
  • edited 2015-12-02 19:26:09
    I'm slightly colorblind. I misinterpret colors because of the cones in my eyes.

If the closest thing to an objective reality is that which everyone agrees on, then it's something I cannot experience.
  • edited 2015-12-02 19:26:09

there are so many ways to pronounce my name, and I'm cool with all of them

ay-meal

ee-meal

Emil

but "Emily" would be a whole different word, akin to pronouncing "gif" as "stegosaurus"
    I propose we start pronouncing gif as stegosaurus.
    I don't know.

I'm angry and I don't even really understand why.

It's clear I'm not actually going to get through to you about why using the hard g is Hurtful and Harmful, so I don't know why I'm even bothering to continue this conversation.
    Aside from you, who does it actually hurt? Who does it actually harm?
    Why does there need to be an "aside from me"? Why don't my feelings matter?
    On the other side of the coin: Why should only your feelings matter?
This discussion has been closed.