The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I was on the phone to my mum and my face mask needed washing off. I was very subtly implying that I needed to go because I was beginning to not be able to move my face.
  • I was saying "I'm just going into my bathroom now", and turning the taps on.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Cats, the feature length musical about dogs.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I would post that Rats part of Hey Arnold, but Viacom.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    ...This is going to be like a Linux advocate screaming about Windows 98 15 years ago, isn't it? :/
  • edited 2016-03-03 20:07:26
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

It took me a little while to notice it, but the "All Programs" button is at the bottom of the Start Menu. This will show you all of the real applications installed on the computer.

Like Windows 8, this still shows one long list of all programs, but now it is in one single scrolling column. At least they have rediscovered folders. You can expand any folder or group to show all of the programs within, and close it to somewhat shorten the list.

You can then "pin" your real applications to the start screen by dragging and dropping.

Incidentally, you could add icons to the top of the Start Menu on Windows 95.
    did this guy ever actually use windows 7
    oh god it's worse

he's going to start ranting about SJWs and feeeeeemales next isn't he ;_;
  • edited 2016-03-03 20:10:02
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Also, just because he brought it up, my TEAC USB floppy drive works just fine on Windows 10.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I guess I shouldn't be surprised he's in the "WINDOWS 10 IS STEALING ALL YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION!!" camp, but it's disappointing nonetheless.

I don't like to see rational, intelligent people get hooked by conspiracy theories.
  • "Windows 10 is stealing your personal information" is only a conspiracy theory if you add the word "all" in there. 

Granted this guy seems utterly insufferable for other reasons, but there is no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    i haven't read enough of nathan lineback's stuff have i
    The fact that he said this...
    Basically, until someone audits every line of code, publicly documents what it does, and holds Microsoft accountable to not make changes without public documentation, you should assume it is snapping naughty pictures of your 8-year old daughter.
    ...tends to suggest to me that he's the kind of person who believes that Microsoft is literally hunched over some massive terminal snooping men-in-black style over literally everything you do on your computer.
  • edited 2016-03-03 20:26:05
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    joke's on him, I don't have an 8-year old daughter

joke's on him, I don't have an 8-year old daughter

You could always adopt me...
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I knew you would say something like that
  • take it to fetishes
  • kill living beings
    imo the basically at all times inch
  • The fact that he said this...

Basically, until someone audits every line of code, publicly documents what it does, and holds Microsoft accountable to not make changes without public documentation, you should assume it is snapping naughty pictures of your 8-year old daughter.
    ...tends to suggest to me that he's the kind of person who believes that Microsoft is literally hunched over some massive terminal snooping men-in-black style over literally everything you do on your computer.
    I mean it's definitely vitriolic for its own sake, but "always assume your OS is insecure unless you can verify otherwise" doesn't seem like awful advice to me.
  • edited 2016-03-03 20:36:03
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

I bet he also thinks OS/2 Warp was personally sabotaged by Bill Gates, and that IBM having a product they didn't know what to do with without Microsoft's help had absolutely nothing to do with it, no, not at all. *smh*
    Jane said:

I mean it's definitely vitriolic for its own sake, but "always assume your OS is insecure unless you can verify otherwise" doesn't seem like awful advice to me.
    Is it too much to ask that people like you not look down on me for using Windows 10??

I don't appreciate being treated like an idiot because I make the conscious decision that I'm not bothered by my metadata being sold to advertisers. :|
    Jane said:

is anyone?

When I say "you should get Windows 10" and the reply is "no, it steals my data", it is very hard not to take that as a personal insult, no?

Especially because most of these people use Android or iOS smartphones. But you know, somehow data collection is only evil if it's Microsoft doing it.
    I don't think that's what she meant, CA. 

I can feel that sentiment myself, to an extent, but there's a difference between defending against actual threats (malware, phishing, rogue advertisements), and being utterly paranoid. Nathan's screed about Microsoft definitely falls into the "paranoid" category.
    Like, "I'm going to write my own OS that runs on a processor I designed and never tell anyone how it works (and end up reinventing the wheel and repeating a lot of mistakes)" paranoid.
  • Jane said:

is anyone?

When I say "you should get Windows 10" and the reply is "no, it steals my data", it is very hard not to take that as a personal insult, no?
    If you are insulted because I use a slightly different OS from you, I am not sure what to tell you.

I can't speak for the guy who wrote that article, but I'm certainly not claiming moral superiority over anyone who uses, well, any operating system. Hell, use Haiku if you want, I don't really care.

It would be very foolish of me to do so.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

sakugaaaaaaaaa

:agreed:
    lee4hmz said:

Like, "I'm going to write my own OS that runs on a processor I designed and never tell anyone how it works (and end up reinventing the wheel and repeating a lot of mistakes)" paranoid.

anyone using anything other than templeos is clearly a scrub
  • Davis is a former atheist who believes that he can "talk with God" and that God told him the operating system he built was God's official temple. According to Davis TempleOS is of 'Divine' intellect due to the inspired nature of the code. According to Davis, God said to create the operating system with 640x480, 16 colors display and a single audio voice. The operating system was coded in a programming language, developed by Davis in C/C++ called "HolyC". The OS runs a file system called "Red Sea".[4]
    Uh....hm.
    16 colors, fuck yes. I can play NES games
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Wait, wait a second, so, there's actually a real new powepuff girls show?
    Aliroz said:

Wait, wait a second, so, there's actually a real new powepuff girls show?

Yes, and it looks awful
    da powapoof gals
    Before-class donut!
    Life is a long, hard road. An occasional doughnut helps.
  • Now you've got me wanting doughnuts.
  • I just bought a doughnut and then opened this thread
    doughnuts are one of humanity's best inventions imo
  • Tomorrow morning, I shall get some doughnuts.

All the doughnuts.
    I take back everything I have said about Pittsburgh.

This is the city that created the conditions for someone to put a pierogie in a hamburger, and for that, I bless it.
    Gonna have to disagree with you on that one
  • I'm only getting blank screens when I try to play videos. Fuck.

Tested on Chrome and Firefox.

Gonna have to disagree with you on that one

Have you eaten a hamburger with a pierogie in it?
    I think I remember that particular Animorphs book.
  • edited 2016-03-04 00:20:12
    My dreams exceed my real life
    www.bboy360.com

This is Jake IRL
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Code word.
    My mom calls them secret codes sometimes
  • kill living beings
    erotic erowid
    Is using a griffin as an example in this philosophy paper too obscure