The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The Great Gatsby is sad because Fitzgerald died in obscurity and thought himself a failure.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    The Great Gatsby is a novel that's very closely tied to a particular historical period and the culture of the time, that might be the problem here

You need to approach it with some awareness of the context i think

nothing happens, then nothing happens, then nothing happens, then at the end, nothing happens

this is just wrong though

...sorry.

You don't have to be sorry.

i can understand not getting a novel.  i didn't get Heart of Darkness, i've mentioned that on here before.  i didn't actually study that one though, given more understanding of the background i might have gotten more out of it.
  • Heart of Darkness made sense to me actually.

In fact, The Scarlet Letter made sense to me, and I was surprised it did.
  • how is the Scarlet letter making sense surprising, it's like the novel equivalent of a giant Flaming A appearing in the sky
    i haven't read that one.

i will have to attempt Heart of Darkness again some time.
    a study in scarlet letters
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Spec Ops: The Line
  • OpAPHID said:

...sorry.

You don't have to be sorry.

i can understand not getting a novel.  i didn't get Heart of Darkness, i've mentioned that on here before.  i didn't actually study that one though, given more understanding of the background i might have gotten more out of it.
    I was sorry I was ragging on The Great Gatsby in light of the author feeling he was a failure; that's what I meant.

But yeah, The Great Gatsby is very definitely tied to its time period.  It's just that the stuff that happened in it just didn't seem to make much sense to me, and I can't seem to remember what happened.

Even with the help of the "NES game" that some fans made, which I played recently, I can't remember why anything happened.

The most I remember is that it involved rich people in (I think) 1920s USA, and there was something about the protagonist having some trouble finding a purpose in life or something like that.  He also liked this one girl who didn't like him back.

At the end he commits suicide, or something like that, right?
    The Third Policeman
  • :3 said:

how is the Scarlet letter making sense surprising, it's like the novel equivalent of a giant Flaming A appearing in the sky

By making sense I meant that I actually found the story, and its characters and their emotions, interesting, and felt that I could understand what they were thinking and why.  In spite of all the antiquated language used to tell said story.
  • I can actually understand what glenn means here.

It's become very hard for me to read novels over the years. I get characters mixed up and the actual act itself seems to drag on forever.
    Torgo said:

hiss
  • incidentally out of all the books I have read in their entirety I have generally considered The Scarlet Letter to be my least favorite

but now that I have read Ten Little Indians by Sherman Alexie my opinion is in the process of being reconsidered

I can actually understand what glenn means here.

It's become very hard for me to read novels over the years. I get characters mixed up and the actual act itself seems to drag on forever.
    Torgo said:

hiss
    Torgo said:

The Third Policeman

• We can do anything if we do it together.
    Thomas Was Alone
    Torgo said:

The Third Policeman

• We can do anything if we do it together.
    Fun fact: I don't even know anything about that game except that Jane hates it.
  • edited 2015-10-29 03:00:36
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    how is "nothing happens" even a criticism of anything
    Spec Ops is Heart of Darkness, the Modern Military FPS.
  • LWFC is literally my least favorite English class book. On the phone, so can't dredge up my list of complaints, but there's such little connectivity to everything.
  • Oh, I remember there being something about seeing a light in the distance.

Wasn't the ending of TGG left vague or something like that?  Like, it's not clear whether he committed suicide, but many people think that's what it implies?
    Torgo said:

The Third Policeman

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    No, because SOMEBODY SHOOTS HIM

No, because SOMEBODY SHOOTS HIM

Spanish Stroll

how is "nothing happens" even a criticism of anything

Evangelion, except the whole show is just the elevator scene.
  • Fun fact: I don't even know anything about that game except that Jane hates it.

I like Thomas Was Alone!
  • TINY AND BIG IN GRANDPA'S LEFTOVERS
  • In retrospect, I don't actually really understand what Like Water For Chocolate is about.

Other than that one super-spicy dish that couldn't be washed away in the shower being a metaphor for sexual desire.
  • edited 2015-10-29 03:04:05
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    @Glenn That's just the plot though.

i mean, it's social satire, it's not simply a story about some causal chain of events.
    Torgo said:

The Third Policeman

another i have been meaning to read
  • incidentally, I think I found it easier to visualize what was happening in Like Water For Chocolate.

I remember I had a lot of trouble visualizing what was happening in The Great Gatsby.
  • I should read The Grapes of Wrath.
    The main character is a parody of me, personally
    . . . i'm forgetting the details of TGG myself, hm

but i remember that it made a strong impression on me at the time

i have honestly never heard of LWFC outside this forum
    "having trouble visualizing" was my main problem with Heart of Darkness, incidentally

i picked up a mood, but didn't form a concrete understanding of what was going on
  • OpAPHID said:

. . . i'm forgetting the details of TGG myself, hm

but i remember that it made a strong impression on me at the time

i have honestly never heard of LWFC outside this forum

I think it's a novel by a Mexican-American author.  Laura Esquivel I think.

That reminds me, I also read I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, but I don't remember what that story was about.  I remember racism is a theme in it, and if I recall correctly, the reason the "caged bird" (i.e. a person in a position of servitude and with no means to get out of it) "sings" (i.e. expresses happiness) is because of hope or optimism for her family or for others or something like that.

On the other hand, I remember reading reading Things Fall Apart, and that had a very strong emotional impact.
  • Things Fall Apart.  Othello.  Pride and Prejudice.  Of Mice And Men.  and maybe Lord of the Flies and Catch-22.

These were among the best things I read in high school.
    Of those, i had to read Othello and Of Mice and Men

both were very good
  • If I had to pick a Mexican magic realism novel, i'd pick Bless Me, Ultima every single time. 

Because stuff's magic there, but it also makes sense
  • I remember really really liking the movie O -- a modern-day adaptation of Othello.

Military conflict became basketball.
    The political scene of an Italian city became the social dynamics of a private school.
    The main character, again, a black guy.  In love with a white girl.  The villain, again, a white guy, who resented the success of the main character.  The racial tension present in the original was very much preserved in the adaptation.
    The script was of course updated (as opposed to slavishly sticking to the original).  Everything was rewritten to suit the new setting.  But the story was faithfully reproduced in its emotions.

Basically, it retold Othello and faithfully delivered the tragic message and emotions of the original, and did so completely smoothly (as opposed to being ham-handed about being an adaptation of something else).
  • If I had to pick a Mexican magic realism novel, i'd pick Bless Me, Ultima every single time. 

Because stuff's magic there, but it also makes sense
    Magic realism was the concept introduced alongside Gabriel García Márquez, and Chronicle of a Death Foretold.

We didn't read One Thousand Years of Solitude.

I think magic realism was retroactively referenced to Like Water For Chocolate, but that was summer reading I think.
  • Magic realism is a concept that I find interesting.
  • OpAPHID said:

Of those, i had to read Othello and Of Mice and Men

both were very good

I remember Of Mice And Men making me cry

there were a few others that did that; i can't remember which ones
    Borges is considered magic realism, right? I dig Borges
  • edited 2015-10-29 03:24:59
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    █  █  █  █  █  █  █  █
    █  █  █  █  █  █  █  █
    █  █  █  █  █  █  █  █
    █  █  █  █  █  █  █  █
    █  █  █  █  █  █  █  █
    █  █  █  █  █  █  █  █
    █  █  █  █  █  █  █  █
    █  █  █  █  █  █  █  █

Othello.
  • half of the short stories I've written are sort of in the vein of magic realism. It's a fun medium to write in, but when it goes bad, it can go pretty bad

I also remember LWFC having hella contrivance. I mean, the first chunk of the book is basically the mom finding new ways to screw with Tita, and the book as a whole is 'let's keep Tita and Pedro from making love without committing adultery for as long as frigging possible"
  • █  █  █  █  █  █  █  █
    █  █  █  █  █  █  █  █
    █  █  █  █  █  █  █  █
    █  █  █  █  █  █  █  █
    █  █  █  █  █  █  █  █
    █  █  █  █  █  █  █  █
    █  █  █  █  █  █  █  █
    █  █  █  █  █  █  █  █

Othello.

Kingdom of Loathing had an event two weeks or so ago where you fight in a theatre, and you could both fight Othello (as played by an actor) and play Othello (the board game) in the same area.
  • re Catch-22

I remember that at first I actually didn't get how that was funny, except the parts that were patently absurd, like the guy who saw everything literally twice (and no more and no less, literally).  And Major Major Major Major, whom they clearly couldn't promote nor demote.  And Milo Minderbinder.  And Lieutenant Colonel General Scheisskopf.

Only after a while did I realize, not quite all that emotionally but more so cognitively, oh, this is basically shitting on the whole "being at war" thing.

Well, I mean, I did notice other stuff being weird.  Like how I'd keep on running into that scene involving Snowden dying in the airplane.

And of course, the language.  A distinctive disorganized deadpan delivery.

TL;DR Catch-22 seemed absurdist at first glance but I didn't quite get that it was anti-war until I thought about it afterwards
    poor Snowden