The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Aliroz said:

Odradek said:

I am playing Legend of Zelda Link To The Past, again.

Man this game is fun.
    Ooooh!  I have it on emulator!  I should play it once I'm done with Chrono Trigger!
    It's a good game.

Link Between Worlds is also good.

How far have you gotten in Chrono Trigger?
  • management at my uni: hey i have a gr8 idea. lets renovate the library and time it as such that large amounts of workspace are gone and some books are completely inaccessible during the middle of exam period, and also the building works make an insane amount of noise during the designated "quiet period" where we fine students £50 for playing music too loud, but it's totally fine to have extremely loud drilling going on literally while ppl are doing exams
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

The actual hell.

That might fit for some science fields that are updated on the regular, but any literary professor would probably have a heart attack
    It'd be horrible for anything arts-related.
  • edited 2015-08-24 22:00:52
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Oh, Utah State University (my school, people from all over Utah go there.  Now that y'al know  live in Utah, y'all can know what University I goes to) loves old books.  Jack London used to visit USU for old books (especially stuff by Rudyard Kipling), and he gave the books first-edition autographed copies of a lot of his books.  This allows the school to go all MINE MINE JACK LONDON IS MINE WE ARE TOTALLY THE SCHOOL OF WHITE FANG.  It's kinda adorable in how pathetic it is.

Most of the really old books (like, journals of Brigham Young) are in Special Collections and not the library proper.  You can still read them, and the guys there love it when somebod shows any interest.

As for the library proper, the oldest book I found was a book on the layout of London from 1929.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Odradek said:

Aliroz said:

Odradek said:

I am playing Legend of Zelda Link To The Past, again.

Man this game is fun.
    Ooooh!  I have it on emulator!  I should play it once I'm done with Chrono Trigger!
    It's a good game.

Link Between Worlds is also good.

How far have you gotten in Chrono Trigger?
    Crono Died, Lucca and Marle gonna mess with time to get him back. I knew the Crono clone I got in the beginning of the game at the Milennium Fair would be useful!
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The Legend of Zelda: Linked Cumberland Sausages

Tachyon said:

Well if you prefer reading, there's this.

Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?

I need something like far more basic than this.

Like, simple music theory, from the ground up.
    if it's theory you're after, maybe this will help?

it's music appreciation, so it's centred on listening and has a classical bias, but it covers the basics of theory
  • edited 2015-08-24 22:01:47
    (2015 self)
    Of course, the library itself is new, from 2005. The old one that everybody adored; that my parents met each other in, was torn down by the university to make a parking lot. My mother cried. They kept the books, removed the building, that was the "modernization" compromise.

The new one is much bigger, though, but it's made of concrete and it is grey and ugly.
  • its weird to see aliroz call the journals of brigham young 'really old stuff' when the oldest thing in my uni library is an illuminated manuscript on vellum from like the year 800? americans have such a different concept of history

this makes me want some jordan futures
  • Aliroz said:

Oh, Utah State University (my school, people from all over Utah go there.  Now that y'al know  live in Utah, y'all can know what University I goes to) loves old books.  Jack London used to visit USU for old books (especially stuff by Rudyard Kipling), and he gave the books first-edition autographed copies of a lot of his books.  This allows the school to go all MINE MINE JACK LONDON IS MINE WE ARE TOTALLY THE SCHOOL OF WHITE FANG.  It's kinda adorable in how pathetic it is.

Most of the really old books (like, journals of Brigham Young) are in Special Collections and not the library proper.  You can still read them, and the guys there love it when somebod shows any interest.

As for the library proper, the oldest book I found was a book on the layout of London from 1929.
    that reminds me, I took some pictures of a book-related exhibit that i meant to send you

remind me in, like, a while, will you?
  • when i visited edinburgh i went to a cool bookshop and found this absolutely beautiful book from 1896 on alpine flora. it was all in french and i couldnt understand any of it but it was so beautifully bound and set and in perfect condition (like, totally perfect. could;ve been printed yesterday.) and it was relaxing to just sit there and read the names of the flowers

i wanted to keep it but it was too expensive....

• Tachyon said:

Tachyon said:

Well if you prefer reading, there's this.

Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?

I need something like far more basic than this.

Like, simple music theory, from the ground up.
    if it's theory you're after, maybe this will help?

it's music appreciation, so it's centred on listening and has a classical bias, but it covers the basics of theory
    I think I tried that exact one before actually

the problem is that it does not apply to my frame of reference (which is, more or less exclusively, FL Studio)
  • sunn wolf said:

when i visited edinburgh i went to a cool bookshop and found this absolutely beautiful book from 1896 on alpine flora. it was all in french and i couldnt understand any of it but it was so beautifully bound and set and in perfect condition (like, totally perfect. could;ve been printed yesterday.) and it was relaxing to just sit there and read the names of the flowers

i wanted to keep it but it was too expensive....

niiiice
  • this one is decent

today I finally was given a concrete definition of "octave"
    i don't know what the oldest book in our university library was.  The special collection apparently included copies of Euclid and Hippocrates that went back to the 1500s, but i never investigated those.

Even the regular collection included books that were from the 1700s and 1800s though.
    (2015 self)
    USU Special Collections also has a bill of sale for a human being, as proof that anyone who says "there was never a single instance of state-condoned and bureaucratized slavery in Utah" is wrong.    Also, stuff on the Mountain Meadows Massacre.  History I'm not at all proud of.
    sunn wolf said:

its weird to see aliroz call the journals of brigham young 'really old stuff' when the oldest thing in my uni library is an illuminated manuscript on vellum from like the year 800? americans have such a different concept of history

Holy carp, how do you not faint at looking at that stuff?  I get the anti-jitters just looking at an 1830 first-printing Book of Mormon (it's like what happens when I tried to read Fahrenheit 451, except the exact opposite).
  • flats and sharps are the same thing

my life in

all of my education

would have been so much easier, if someone had taken literally twelve seconds to explain that
  • edited 2015-08-24 22:17:04
    (2015 self)
    Tachyon said:

i don't know what the oldest book in our university library was.  The special collection apparently included copies of Euclid and Hippocrates that went back to the 1500s, but i never investigated those.

Even the regular collection included books that were from the 1700s and 1800s though.

Man, if I could check out books from the 1700's, I'd shout to the world about it, and I'd touch those books with gloves.  Oh, to think of it!  You guys on your side of the Atlantic have so much history!  You have pubs older than my nation!
    This is stupid, but i was always too nervous to ask about the special collection. >_>

There was also a glass case by the desk in my uni's library which showcased a different book from the special collection every month (mostly local history).

it took me about a minute to make this

think of where I would be now if I'd had this like

ten years ago

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasfghsghsghl
    i like keyboards, because you have the notes laid out in front of you and the relationships between them become a lot more obvious
  • I AM SO HEATED THAT I AM UNIRONICALLY USING THE TERM "HEATED"

I NEED TO LAY DOWN
  • I AM SO HEATED THAT I AM UNIRONICALLY USING THE TERM "HEATED"

I NEED TO LAY DOWN
    i kno this feel
  • i like keyboards, because you have the notes laid out in front of you and the relationships between them become a lot more obvious
    WOULD IT KILL LIKE LITERALLY ANY MUSIC TEACHER I'VE EVER HAD TO JUST WRITE THE NAMES ON THE KEYS WITH A FUCKING SHARPIE

I HAVE LITERALLY TAKEN SEVEN. SEVEN. MUSIC CLASSES IN MY LIFE AND NONE HAVE EVER ADEQUATELY EXPLAINED HOW NOTES WORK TO ME

IT TOOK THIS MUMBLY MAN NAMED FUCKING NFXBEATS LIKE FOUR MINUTES

I HATE THE EDUCATION SYSTEM SO MUCH
  • HE DIDN'T EVEN USE A REAL PIANO HE USED FL KEYS
  • Aliroz said:

Holy carp, how do you not faint at looking at that stuff?  I get the anti-jitters just looking at an 1830 first-printing Book of Mormon (it's like what happens when I tried to read Fahrenheit 451, except the exact opposite).

i've not seen that specific manuscript but there's a lot of cool stuff in my library. a few months back i was leafing through some of john ruskin's journals

if you are ever in london you should visit the british library. it is the biggest library in the world and has a copy of every book published in britain since 1610 and a lot of books from earlier. i just looked up the oldest thing in there which is from 2000 BC, so, pretty old. and you can look at more or less any of it so long as it is relevant to your academic research. it's also a beautiful building and they have a lot of cool exhibitions
    what the hell

yeah sorry Jane but your music classes sucked balls :(

PRINT OUT A COPY OF THIS PICTURE AND POST IT IN EVERY MUSIC CLASSROOM IN THE COUNTRY
  • I had fun making an alicorn me. ::::D Based the coloring and mane length on my actual self and everything. I also am kinda thin with long limbs. XXXXD
  • i dont understand why music teachers cant teach

i managed to get through a whole semester of a music class in high school without figuring out how a chord progression worked and eventually i just gave up
  • i figured it out later via the magic of youtube and my reaction was pretty much exactly jane's reaction right now because like seriously these are super easy concepts to learn and they just like dont explain them at all????????????????
  • I have yet to get to chord progressions because I'm afraid that if I learn too much of it at once I'm going to explode.
    i found chord progressions incredibly confusing at school, and consequently never learned

tho tbf that's probably cuz i was convinced i wasn't smart enough to understand it
    like the teacher would use words like 'perfect fifth' and 'subdominant' and i'd just switch off
    or not so much that i switched off but i could never remember which was which and it all sounded the same to me, which made me frustrated, and then i gave up

PRINT OUT A COPY OF THIS PICTURE AND POST IT IN EVERY MUSIC CLASSROOM IN THE COUNTRY
    not having a copy of this anywhere in a music classroom is unbelievably bad
  • good school-level music teachers are very, very rare. i had one, for a year. i learned an insane amount that year and basically still all of the theory/production knowledge i have is down to him
    i am pretty sure we had stickers with the note names on all the keyboards from year 7 up until year 11

not having a copy of this anywhere in a music classroom is unbelievably bad
    I've seen ones that are like the full piano labeled in detail (so instead of C it's C5 or whatever) but I never knew that notes are grouped into these segments, which are evidently called octaves.

And by the way I have heard the term "octave" before, but I have never seen an octave before today.

That is a picture of an octave and it is an incredibly simple thing! 
    (2015 self)
    QueenPoison:

The C that would come to the right of the B in that picture (Let's call it C is one octave higher than the C at the leftmost of that picture.

C has double the frequency, or twice the vibrations per second, that C has.
    The Zelda timeline is so weird.

Like, why is there a timeline where Ganon wins? And why does it include the first three LOZ games?
  • Aliroz said:

QueenPoison:

The C that would come to the right of the B in that picture (Let's call it C is one octave higher than the C at the leftmost of that picture.

C has double the frequency, or twice the vibrations per second, that C has.

huh?
  • Odradek said:

The Zelda timeline is so weird.

Like, why is there a timeline where Ganon wins? And why does it include the first three LOZ games?
    Somehow it turns out Hyrule Warriors is the only game that's canon.
  • Link Between Worlds is good, if oddly thin.

It's structured like either a dungeon crawler or a Portal-esque master-a-single-mechanic puzzler but never fully committed to either, and it didn't have an interesting story to compensate.

I liked it but I can rarely call anything to mind other than criticisms.
    (2015 self)

The C in the middle of this picture has a pitch with twice as many vibrations per second as the C at the leftmost of this picture.
    Kexruct said:

Link Between Worlds is good, if oddly thin.

It's structured like either a dungeon crawler or a Portal-esque master-a-single-mechanic puzzler but never fully committed to either, and it didn't have an interesting story to compensate.

I liked it but I can rarely call anything to mind other than criticisms.

The dark doppelganger of Hyrule is called Lowrule.
  • LBW is the best Zelda game because it's the one my girlfriend gifted to me.