The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I kinda feel like metafiction is overdone in comics.

I had an idea for a superhero named Powerhouse. Her ability is super strength, but that's her only ability, she can't fly or anything like that, and she's not particularly tough, making her strong but fragile.

I dunno I thought it was a neat idea but I've never thought that much about the character at length.
  • Back when Linkara hadn't devolved into subplots and screaming, i watched him review a series called Cry (Gay) for Justice, and at the end, they kill off the tiny childperson of Green Arrow's ex-sidekick, Arsenal. And he was especially red in the face at that because, well, when's the last time that you've seen a writer bring back a child to life? 

You can't just kill children in comics. They don't bounce back the same way superheroes and their love interests do
  • I like superhero metafiction a bit more than most metafiction because of how jaded I am with most superhero universes.

Theoretically

Marvels seems kind of sappy, Ruins is way too gritty.

I do like the idea of that one Marvel team who's job is to repair the damage from all the superhero battles. That's the kind of thing. Normal people getting drawn into superhero stuff as a natural part of life.
  • edited 2015-06-21 08:49:28
    BEWARE OF GRRL!
    Sometimes I think about superheroes (they are all fancharacters or my alterations to official ones), whether they be "superheroes" or not

The Order of the Pawprint in 101 (an alliance between Polydamas - who has his demon powers - Hammer Barbara, who has her space-time powers, Mwm, who is incorporeal and can't be touched, and Rebecca, a character from the show I dug up because I didn't like the way she was handled and gave her telepathy), the Vengerfriends in Cirque du Yogi (Yogi Bear is Patriotic Duty [Captain America], Huckleberry Hound is The Everlovin' Huck, Jinks is Iron Cat, Quick Draw McGraw is El Kabolt [Thor], and Snagglepuss is Pink Arrow [Hawkeye] - they are led by Buckley F. Eagle, a character I admittedly devised as a replacement for Atom Ant)...
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    You know I don't sleep whenever you guys sleep.

Anyway, I was reading both Final Crisis and Multiversity again and wanted to make Mage: The Awakening characters who drew from the signs and imagery of superhero comics. Not like "Superman is Apollo sort of deal" but more like "Superman inspires me to be magical."
  • I also think the idea of a heroic version of Joker is weirdly underexplored given how long the character's been around and iconic (the only example I can name is Jester from that one Justice League movie, and he had about ten minutes of screentime).
    MachSpeed said:

You know I don't sleep whenever you guys sleep.

Anyway, I was reading both Final Crisis and Multiversity again and wanted to make Mage: The Awakening characters who drew from the signs and imagery of superhero comics. Not like "Superman is Apollo sort of deal" but more like "Superman inspires me to be magical."
    that would be very interesting. I'd be into that.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Jokester in Countdown To Final Crisis was pretty cool. Still apeshit bananas and obsessed with "Batman", but also heroic in a way. Tried to be a good dad.
  • I also have a character named Ms. Eternal (a sort of scaled back and renamed version of the original Magic Jane character before I started calling myself that) but she's not really a superhero per se.
  • What gets me about Marvels is that it's so damn inspiring. Trying to pass off Marvel Heroes as legendary and majestic. 

If I lived in the Marvel Universe, having read Marvel Comics, I wouldn't be gaping in wonder over these incredible beings. I'd be frightened out of my life because the universe I live in is constantly in danger of getting wrecked, and the supers who are ostensibly protecting us spend most of their time faffing about
  • What gets me about Marvels is that it's so damn inspiring. Trying to pass off Marvel Heroes as legendary and majestic. 

If I lived in the Marvel Universe, having read Marvel Comics, I wouldn't be gaping in wonder over these incredible beings. I'd be frightened out of my life because the universe I live in is constantly in danger of getting wrecked, and the supers who are ostensibly protecting us spend most of their time faffing about
    Yes but you're a real person.

Real people don't live in comic books, by definition.
  • also can we get a Captain Marvel (ok, he's Shazam now, but whatever) cartoon? Like a good one?

There's tons of potential there.
  • edited 2015-06-21 09:43:17
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The idea here is to have kids who loved superhero comics and then just sort of fell into that world (possibly a sort of kid gang), in a sort of 2010 Grant Morrison sort of way instead of a 90's Grant Morrison sort of way. And then when they find their way out again, they take the shadow names of their favorite heroes. 

In the comic books, the superheroes would also be pretty occultic in nature.

For example, Supernova was a young soldier who saw a comet fall from the sky, and was drawn to its location. Where he drew from the stone a sword with a star on its crossguard, and used it to fight for life, honor, and the liberation of all.

Or Witness, who as a child was cursed with troubling visions and saw things none others could. But by understanding the things she saw, her celestial senses were opened, could speak to animals, and perform enigmatic miracles.

Or the Ghost, a police detective who died, but was chosen to avenge crimes unpunished, was tested and trained by one hundred and eight specters, and sent forth into the world of the living to haunt the guilty.

Or the Explorer, who was chosen by an intergalactic adventurer's guild to find the lost secrets of the universe, beyond the superstructure of ice shards, empowered with the might of a secret mantra only he knew.

EDIT: Forgot about the Escapist, who was damned to hell by a fault not his own, and through an eternity of struggle, learned to free himself from his chains and the chains of his fellow damned. And now they climb the ladder to heaven, ever-beset by the hounds of hell.
  • MachSpeed said:

The idea here is to have kids who loved superhero comics and then just sort of fell into that world (possibly a sort of kid gang), in a sort of 2010 Grant Morrison sort of way instead of a 90's Grant Morrison sort of way. And then when they find their way out again, they take the shadow names of their favorite heroes. 

In the comic books, the superheroes would also be pretty occultic in nature.

For example, Supernova was a young soldier who saw a comet fall from the sky, and was drawn to its location. Where he drew from the stone a sword with a star on its crossguard, and used it to fight for life, honor, and the liberation of all.

Or Witness, who as a child was cursed with troubling visions and saw things none others could. But by understanding the things she saw, her celestial senses were opened and could perform enigmatic miracles.

Or the Ghost, a police detective who died, but was chosen to avenge crimes unpunished, was tested and trained by one hundred and eight specters, and sent forth into the world of the living to haunt the guilty.

Or the Explorer, who was chosen by an intergalactic adventurer's guild to find the lost secrets of the universe, empowered with the might of a secret mantra only he knew.
    I'd read it.
  • also Black Lightning is a cool hero and so is Static Shock but it'd be cool if we gave black people other powers.

It's such a bizarre trope.
  • nobody wants to talk to me about my non-comic hero shit :(
    It's fucking weird but like. I think what happened is that Black Lightning started to represent all black superheroes and they cloned him a bunch of times, and those clones got clones of their own.

Like for a while every superhero wanted to be Superman, but smaller in scale.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I dreamed I was in a big fancy high school as my princess-self and I kept looking for the principal's office so I could demand to sing the Steven Universe theme song over the PA system

Also the school library had a sign celebrating bronies, which I kicked over
  • another thing I would want to do if given control over a DC property is write a new Green Lantern who's not a total asshole. Even the best of them (John "not Jon" Stewart) has been a dick at times.

I'd also wanna focus more on the sci-fi bent of those stories though admittedly I don't know if they do that already, I'm not sure I've ever read any Green Lantern comics.

sorry. 

I was actually gonna say I think that's a neat idea though I'm not sure where you'd go with it tone-wise.
  • MachSpeed said:

It's fucking weird but like. I think what happened is that Black Lightning started to represent all black superheroes and they cloned him a bunch of times, and those clones got clones of their own.

Like for a while every superhero wanted to be Superman, but smaller in scale.
    they couldn't at least give them a different element though???

like fire, fire's good.

So's water. So's earth. Even air is ok.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I think I need a new cell phone charger. :\
  • actually hear me out

ok take Connie from Steven Universe, and expy her, and then make that person a Green Lantern.

Boom. Pay me, DC.
  • I think I need a new cell phone charger. :\

can't you charge it with MAGIC

I think I need a new cell phone charger. :\

can't you charge it with MAGIC
    We've been through this before: using magic to generate electricity is supremely inefficient! :P
  • actually I forgot about Simon Baz

has he been a douchebag yet? 
    Kyle Rayner's not a complete dick. But he's dead now, killed the first time by Hal Jordan mining him for his role, and killed a second time to add seriousness to the Omega Men.

It's like this. First you have Black Lightning. Then they couldn't use Black Lightning for the Superfriends, so they used Black Vulcan. Static was created as a pastiche of Black Lightning. Justice League Unlimited wanted to make fun of Superfriends, so they made Volt. Black Lightning has two daughters, one with shockwave powers and another with regular lightning powers. The Static Shock TV show as going to use Black Lightning, but couldn't, so they made Soul Power.

That accounts for at least five.

Now, why they keep giving black people electrical powers outside of that tree, I don't know. Miles Morales (Spider-Man) can shock people, there's Jamie Foxx's Electro, Bumblebee has lightning-blasters...

actually hear me out

ok take Connie from Steven Universe, and expy her, and then make that person a Green Lantern.

Boom. Pay me, DC.
    Magical Girl Green Lantern Connie Maheswaren. I'm down.
  • also because I'm interested has anyone read JLA 2013 and if so how is it

making Amanda Waller skinny for some reason aside
    I refuse to read it. But consensus is that it's lame, the character dynamics are forced, and Darkseid is wasted as an alien invader.
  • MachSpeed said:

I refuse to read it. But consensus is that it's lame, the character dynamics are forced, and Darkseid is wasted as an alien invader.

that's disappointing but not surprising

Yes but you're a real person.

Real people don't live in comic books, by definition.
    I know, but I think that reading Marvels would make me constantly groan at how naive and misty-eyed Phil Sheldon is.

I just want to take him aside and show him the stupidity that happens behind the scenes.
  • ok but Yarrun what do you think of Green Lantern Connie

sorry. 

I was actually gonna say I think that's a neat idea though I'm not sure where you'd go with it tone-wise.
    thanks...

The Vengerfriends are parodic of course

actually hear me out

Boom. Pay me, DC.
    I'm sure the real DC would do this to spite Cartoon Network (Time Warner is highly dysfunctional) if they picked up on the expy thing
    Anyway, Simon Baz is a criminal because society is racist to him, and so hides his face like a crook and wields a gun, but other than that seems to be a decent guy trying to survive.

I might actually write this fanfiction now

someone stop me before I do something foolish

Anyone with a creative spirit like Connie's would be perfect for the role, personal affection for the character aside.

We could use more of those, besides Rayner

I don't see a problem with Green Lantern Connie, but then what is the relationship between world-controlling Gems and the Green Lantern Corps? Are they enemies? Because Blue Beetle covered that already.
  • I should just pick a comic and try to follow it as best I can.

Maybe the new Dr. Fate, I always thought that was an interesting idea for a character.
  • MachSpeed said:

I don't see a problem with Green Lantern Connie, but then what is the relationship between world-controlling Gems and the Green Lantern Corps? Are they enemies? Because Blue Beetle covered that already.

nah this would be firmly AU I don't like genuine crossovers unless they make sense.
  • edited 2015-06-21 10:04:13
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Rayner's my favorite, did you know? Always was. He loved Gurren Lagann, among other things.

Dead now. I mean, the Omega Men killed him in a really powerful way that tugged my heartstrings and that makes me happy, but he's still dead.
  • Hey Starfire is getting her own book.

That would be exciting if I had any confidence that they'd handle the character decently.
  • MachSpeed said:

Rayner's my favorite, did you know? Always was. He loved Gurren Lagann, among other things.

sorry gonna have to stop you there, fuckin' what

Oh, and the Creeper! Another semi-heroic Joker ripoff.

oh yeah I like him.

Not quite what I meant, but I like him.
    It's another attempt at a more funny, tourist-y Starfire like what her role in Teen Titans was.

The thing is that there's no team of Titans for her to bounce off of.
  • As a guy who's mostly watched the cartoons, I am, and always will be, a John Stewart kind of guy. Curmungeon that he was.
  • MachSpeed said:

It's another attempt at a more funny, tourist-y Starfire like what her role in Teen Titans was.

c-could they actually get it right this time
    MachSpeed said:

The thing is that there's no team of Titans for her to bounce off of.
    that they're even trying is a step in the right direction
    Do you have a problem with my favorite Green Lantern, Kyle Rayner?
  • MachSpeed said:

Do you have a problem with my favorite Green Lantern, Kyle Rayner?

I'm just confused

he liked Gurren Lagann?

like in-universe???

As a guy who's mostly watched the cartoons, I am, and always will be, a John Stewart kind of guy. Curmungeon that he was.

Stewart is a realistic portrayal of a military vet.

As in, his heart's in the right place so I can forgive him for a lot, but he's also kinda a huge douche at times.