The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I accept basically any singular pronoun.  Xir, hir, asekhl, afe, q32h90. any of the new ideas or any pronouns at all, so long as said pronoun is singular.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    good thing they is a singular pronoun then
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Vous
    (2015 self)
    Calica said:

singular they is a perfectly valid construction in the english language and has been used as such for literal centuries

Do you think, that with my lifelong fascination with and use of the English Language, I am unaware of that fact?

Indeed, I accept many words and terms that are newer and much less proper, such as the modern spelling of, "delight", and, "Island"; which are based upon back-formations and folk etymology.
    (2015 self)
    Calica said:

good thing they is a singular pronoun then

Not in Websters New Collegiate Dictionary, Ninth Edition.

And not even in the Seventh Edition.

My use of the English Language is based upon the Ninth Edition, and, where the ninth edition is insufficient, the seventh edition.

That way, if anyone can find that by that book, I am wrong, I absolutely must relent
    webster's wrong, sorry 'bout that
    you're literally the person who pulls out the dictionary to say they're right when they're being sexist
  • edited 2015-03-06 04:00:04
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Aliroz said:

Calica said:

singular they is a perfectly valid construction in the english language and has been used as such for literal centuries

Do you think, that with my lifelong fascination with and use of the English Language, I am unaware of that fact?

Indeed, I accept many words and terms that are newer and much less proper, such as the modern spelling of, "delight", and, "Island"; which are based upon back-formations and folk etymology.
    This does, in fact, make me a hypocrite who is knowingly wrong.

But then again, I post on a site with people who use lowercase, "i", as a pronoun, and who forget to end sentences with a period.

This is the internet.  If you want to find proper English, you have come to the wrong place.
    (2015 self)
    Calica said:

you're literally the person who pulls out the dictionary to say they're right when they're being sexist

Yes.

Yes I am, in literal fact, a person who does that.

I never claimed to be other than obnoxious.
  • Aliroz said:

Do not refer to me with the pronoun, "them", or the pronoun, "they".

I am not a plural being.

I am singular

The pronoun I prefer is, "it".

Alternatvely, I accept the pronouns "him", "he", "she","you", and "her".

But I am not a plural being.

Ah. Apologies.
  • kill living beings
    what is the point of this bullshit
  • edited 2015-03-06 04:02:48
    (2015 self)
    Other people, singular beings who wish to be referred to with the pronoun, "they", can be referred to with the pronoun, "they".  That is the right of such people.

For example, Tachyon knows that it is their right to be referred to by the pronoun, "they", and to deny someone such would be very wrong.

Aliroz said:

Do not refer to me with the pronoun, "them", or the pronoun, "they".

I am not a plural being.

I am singular

The pronoun I prefer is, "it".

Alternatvely, I accept the pronouns "him", "he", "she","you", and "her".

But I am not a plural being.

Ah. Apologies.
    It's alright, you didn't know.
  • everyone in this house is so fucking loud

no one's even upset just no one who lives here but me has any concept of indoor voice
  • edited 2015-03-06 04:16:35
    (2015 self)
    Also, I realize that my usage of the word, "such", in contexts where other words, such as "that", "which", or "what", would be more appropriate, is less than proper.

I admit also to usage of neologisms such as "gonna", and, "wanna".

I do not, in fact, write in proper English; and, as such, I do not have the right to get on the cases of other people for any usage of the English Language.  I have no real right to proscribe what I do not follow.

I am to refer to individual persons by the pronouns that said individuals prefer and are comfortable with.  If someone wishes to be referred to with the pronoun, "hem", it is my place to refer to said person with that pronoun.  The effort of learning obscure neologism pronouns is more than worth the result of allowing people to be called by the terms they prefer.

However, if other people wish not to learn unofficial, individual pronouns, that is the right of said people.  I am not to get after anyone for failing to learn pronouns.  I am not to get after anyone for using a plural pronoun on me.

So, you can refer to me with any pronoun you want; I prefer singular pronouns that are not "they" or "them", but do not mind being called a plural entity even though I am actually a singular being.  Do as you will.

tldr:  live and let live, pronouns for all, goodwill towards men.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Huh, Drake is Jewish.

I never knew.
    i heard that before, i think after the nazi video
  • And what's with eating bread after it's baked? Why can't I just eat flour, water, and thousands of joules of heat energy? Isn't that more efficient?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    point.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Sometimes GetGo is a gas station with no convenience store and sometimes GetGo is a convenience store with no gas station.

Do they have GetGo in other states? I know Pennsylvania has Giant Eagle, at least...
  • naney said:

Like, imagine if Luke was a bit more angry and impetuous. Not to the degree of Anakin, but closer the more grrrrr end of the "moody young man" scale. Like he's basically an ok guy at heart but he gets mad easily and doesn't think things through. Then move the aspects of his Force training regarding getting a hold of himself come more to the fore. Imagine like he starts doing like vaguely sith-y things when he gets angry like the dark lightening thing (imagine him almost doing the lightening thing when he's at Jabba's palace and then catching hold of himself), so then when Palpatine and Vader make their offers to the dark side there is an inkling (just an inkling mind) of "will he do it? will he end up making the mistakes his father made?" and his resounding rejection of them becomes a very strong completion of his character arc and a metaphor for his finally becoming an adult person who is in control of his emotions and impulses.

First, the Jabba's Palace sequence was to establish that he was starting to veer down to the Dark Side of the Force. 

You're right in that his character's a bit inconsistent (he gets pissed off when Obi Wan dies, but doesn't seem to lose his shit as much when his best friend and his surrogate parents are dead) but there's still a lot of moody young man in Luke.

I agree that the Jedi training bit could have been handled better in ANH, but this mistake's more due to the fact that ANH was planned as a single movie rather than a series than it is a genuine deficiency in writing.
  • I can see where you're coming from and I agree with a lot of what you're saying, it's just that some of these complaints are coming from Lucas deliberately trying for a more nuanced approach to the treatment of Luke's characterization.
  • Long Leg Problems #1: leg cramps after being cooped up in a small space for too long.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Yeah, sitting down for long periods ain't good for you.
  • edited 2015-03-06 15:01:10
    ಠ_ಠ
    My legs are longer than my torso and head combined. Definitely not good.

Like, much longer.
  • Sometimes GetGo is a gas station with no convenience store and sometimes GetGo is a convenience store with no gas station.

Do they have GetGo in other states? I know Pennsylvania has Giant Eagle, at least...
    We don't have Giant Eagle in the Keystone no more.

They were all turned into other stores sometime before I was born. We do have Giant, but that's another thing entirely.
  • So for some reason the door to my bedroom no longer stays closed.

Currently using my fan as a massive paperweight to prop it shut.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    That'd be a doorstop, not a paperweight

#nitpickerAvenue
    It's not even 11:30 yet

Arrrgh this day is going to go on forever
  • That'd be a doorstop, not a paperweight

#nitpickerAvenue

ya motha's a doorstop
    forget you I'm a horse
  • Curiously, the boobies do not offer much resistance against this.
  • Giant is Stop n' Shop in New Jersey.

Or maybe it was in Boston. Both?

Either way, same owner.
    If you guys wanna send stuff to my Giant Eagle account, my Eagle ID is @hornyprincess1990
  • Tre said:

Giant is Stop&Shop in New Jersey.

Or maybe it was in Boston. Both?

Either way, same owner.

Both!
  • Do note that, despite sharing the same logo, your frequent shopper tags canNOT be shared between them.

Anyway I think Giant was a separate chain that was later acquired but kept its Giant name.
    There are a million Giant Eagles around here. They seem to often (but not always) have a corresponding GetGo.
  • oh gosh why are there three Giant supermarket chains

Giant Eagle
    Giant-Carlisle
    Giant-Landover
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-03-06 20:48:25
    The really weird thing is that Ahold owns both Giant Carlisle and Giant Landover but operates them as separate chains.

I feel like it'd be smarter to combine their operations (and keep the Martin's/Stop&Shop names, because brand equity is important in food stores).
    Around here GetGo is usually paired with a Giant Eagle store, but the two near campus are standalone convenience stores that used to be 7-Eleven.
  • I find it odd that "equity" means "equality" or "equalness" in some contexts, while it means "value" or "financial stake" in other contexts.
    Incidentally, there are no 7-Eleven stores in Columbus anymore
    we still have 'em
    Imi what is your favourite convenience store

I'm partial to Turkey Hill myself
    I honestly can't remember the last time I was in one.
  • if they hate pork so much why don't they stop patronizing laura ingraham?
  • edited 2015-03-06 21:38:24

Chicago Mayor: Even Mayor Rahm Emanuel's supporters acknowledge that at times he can be... a little abrasive. Rahm himself recently ran a spot
    arguing that while he has his flaws, he uses his stubbornness to fight
    for Chicago. But there's a fine line between being an asshole for
    justice and just a plain old asshole, and he may have crossed it on Wednesday.

The Mental Health Movement writes on their Facebook page that two of
    its members, Debbie Delgado and Matt Ginsberg-Jaeckle, criticized Rahm
    during a meeting for shuttering clinics. They describe a heated
    conversation, culminating with the mayor yelling "YOU'RE GONNA RESPECT
    ME!" Rahm's spokesman acknowledges the meeting took place, but says
    things "ended very cordially."

sauce: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/03/06/1368862/-Daily-Kos-Elections-Morning-Digest-Rahm-softens-his-image-by-allegedly-screaming-his-head-off

referenced story: http://www.businessinsider.com/mental-health-advocates-claim-rahm-emanuel-flipped-out-at-them-2015-3

Would have made for better TV if the response after that line was "NO, YOU FUCKING FUND THIS OR ELSE" and then devolved into a fistfight.

• and in case you're going to try complain

no, "making for better TV" is NOT the same as "making for better real-life results"