The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• fictional universes exist separately

crossing them doesn't make much sense
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

fictional universes exist separately

it depends on what they are

I do a think that classic Hanna-Barbera and One Hundred and One Dalmatians mesh well simply in part due to the 1960s roots and mid-century aesthetics
    also both lending themselves well to my sense of humor
  • Anonus said:

fictional universes exist separately

it depends on what they are

I do a think that classic Hanna-Barbera and One Hundred and One Dalmatians mesh well simply in part due to the 1960s roots and mid-century aesthetics
    true, you have a point.
    "do a think" what's wrong with me
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I feel like trash every time I wake up
    Why?
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I don't know
    I'm sorry
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

I want an ebooks bot :(

https://github.com/mispy/twitter_ebooks ;

These should be all you need.

• edited 2015-03-02 16:08:39
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Today is boring.  I will de-encipher one of my old cipher posts.  Because angry 2014 Aliroz needs to be let loose on the world.

Things I hate:

That awful musical that Parker and Stone did and named after the Book of Mormon.  (Ugh, Parker and Stone.  Can someone please murder them?)

That awful musical that Andrew Lloyd Webber did (okay, that's all of Andrew Lloyd Webber's stuff, but here I'm referring to Jesus Christ Superstar).

That awful unfunny Monty Python thing (okay, that's all of Monty Python, but here I refer to Life of Brian).  Oh, but all of these things are apparently secretly pro-religion despite being offensive as all get-out, so I can't complain because freedom of speech. I hate freedom of speech.

Seriously, 2014 Aliroz?  Webber did Cats, and that was not-awful.  And Monty Python was sometimes funny.  You've never even seen any of the things you hate in this list.  I know, because I've never seen them.

And not liking what someone says doesn't mean you have to dislike freedom of speech.

I share your rage, 2014 Aliroz, but have learned to put it to better ends.  
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • edited 2015-03-02 16:42:05
    Monty Python strikes me as basically just kinda "random" absurdist humor.

It's not all that funny to me, but I surmise that it's very memetic because the jokes are very specific and easily communicatable.
    Word of warning: you'll need to install Ruby, and setting up the bot requires some level of familiarity with command line stuff. (I did mine in Linux, but there's no reason it didn't work on Windows.)
  • but do you need to install Yang, Blake, or Weiss?

#badpuns
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Confessions about Monty Python: The parrot sketch is not that funny. They could and did do better.
  • Monty Python strikes me as basically just kinda "random" absurdist humor.

It's not all that funny to me, but I surmise that it's very memetic because the jokes are very specific and easily communicatable.

I actually did not know it was possible to think Monty Python isn't funny.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

Monty Python is the reason that "random" absurdist humour exists in the first place.
    Update: they finally managed to put a sign outside 140 W. 19th Avenue with the proper address

(Last week they briefly had it signed "151 W. Woodruff Avenue", which properly belongs to the building next door!)

This is my favorite Monty Python sketch.
    This is something you might not know about me, but I love, love, love sketch humor.
  • edited 2015-03-02 17:04:07

It's not all that witty.

It's just sorta random.  And blatant.  It's kinda like shitposting, come to think of it.  Which is honestly not that funny either.  It's amusing for about five minutes, but not really all that memorably awesome, in my opinion.  It's like if I were to be talking about something and then sudd--HOLY SHIT IT'S AN ELEPHANT THAT HAS A SMILEY FACE PAINTED ONTO ITS SIDE TEN FEET AWAY FROM ME AND IT'S STANDING ON A ROBOT.

My favorite styles of humor usually involve a little more...well, for lack of a better term, "elegance".  For example, Look Around You and its deadpan subtlety.

Monty Python is the reason that "random" absurdist humour exists in the first place.

ehh, I'm pretty sure it has existed without it.  though maybe it popularized it and so we have stuff like SNL today?  (which incidentally i'm not much a fan of either)
    Linear algebra is so much easier to me than multivariable calculus
  • Monty Python strikes me as basically just kinda "random" absurdist humor.

It's not all that witty.

It's just sorta random.  And blatant.  It's kinda like shitposting, come to think of it.  Which is honestly not that funny either.  It's amusing for about five minutes, but not really all that memorably awesome, in my opinion.  It's like if I were to be talking about something and then sudd--HOLY SHIT IT'S AN ELEPHANT THAT HAS A SMILEY FACE PAINTED ONTO ITS SIDE TEN FEET AWAY FROM ME AND IT'S STANDING ON A ROBOT.

My favorite styles of humor usually involve a little more...well, for lack of a better term, "elegance".  For example, Look Around You and its deadpan subtlety.

ehh, I'm pretty sure it has existed without it.  though maybe it popularized it and so we have stuff like SNL today?  (which incidentally i'm not much a fan of either)
    oh my god
  • yeah I don't like Beethoven bc u know he uses too many obvious notes in his pieces
  • I don't really care for Rembrandt, there's too much paint in his paintings.
  • I've never really been a fan of the Sun, it's too hot.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I don't like Shakespeare because his word choices are too obvious.
  • edited 2015-03-02 17:15:18

Panurge said:

I always loved the "Self Defense Against Fresh Fruit" skit.

• edited 2015-03-02 17:31:23

yeah I don't like Beethoven bc u know he uses too many obvious notes in his pieces

I don't really care for Rembrandt, there's too much paint in his paintings.

okay?

y'know, there's a thing called "taste", and it varies from person to person.  this is normal.
  • and if you're going to have an elephant with a smiley face painted on it standing on a robot, the funniest way to deal with that in my opinion is to go on with life as if the elephant being there is completely normal

not to make A HUGE EXAGGERATED SCENE ABOUT IT HOLY SHIT THAT ELEPHANT WITH A SMILEY FACE PAINTED ON IT STANDING ON A ROBOT IS IN THE SAME ROOM AS I AM

but again

matter of taste.
  • there is good taste and bad taste and i believe you have fallen on the wrong side of the divide in this circumstance
  • There is no such thing as good taste.

More, the things you are criticizing Monty Python for do not make any sense to me.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Monty Python is all right with me
  • I am so bloody pissed off right now.

• edited 2015-03-02 20:42:32

There is no such thing as good taste.

More, the things you are criticizing Monty Python for do not make any sense to me.
    I guess I just feel that their style of humor feels forced and doesn't flow very well, and I feel I'd enjoy them more if they used subtlety more often.

I don't hate them for it, and some of their jokes are actually pretty funny.

That said my original comment earlier was that the biggest quality of their jokes is that they're very memorable.
    huge tracts of land
  • i've always been very curious about how the human mind processes humor
  • the parrot sketch is in fact one of the less good python sketches

absurdist humour definitely existed before python, though python is good and did a lot to popularise it further

there is no such thing as good taste, but actually, there is such thing as good taste.
    Panurge said:

i thought this was goin to be silly job interview from the thumbnail (also good)

I always loved the "Self Defense Against Fresh Fruit" skit.

this is a good 1
  • the best monty python is confuse a cat, which is one of the very few comedy things to actually make me cry laughing
    confuse a naney
  • (*bafflement*)
    it worked