The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• DID SOMEONE SAY INANE
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    ice cream soda
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    How could I go about starting my own forum?

Does it cost money?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    There are free forum hosting services out there of varying quality.

HH started off on one, though that particular one is no longer available.
    I imagine the difficult part of starting a forum is not finding where to host one, but finding people to join it.
  • I imagine the difficult part of starting a forum is not finding where to host one, but finding people to join it.

been there, done that.
  • edited 2015-02-27 03:24:22
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Yeah, but I don't want to make a site that is like HH.

I want an interface like Tv Tropes of 2011.

I want a green bar on the top of the screen that says you have a private message.

I want a forum that has sections so there can be many threads active at one time, and we don't have to have megathreads or lose small threads.

And dang it, I don't want this posting box at the end of a page!  I want to click "write post" and go to a different page, where I write a post and then hit, "submit post".

I want signatures on the bottom of the post, and timestamps in the upper left (at least we have that).

I want thread watchlists, and no quote button, and

• That would be difficult because, as I recall, TVTropes' forums are not actually built with forum software.
  • kill living beings
    that sounds more like whatever SA uses (a modified version of). phpBB or simple machines or something.

anywho violence
    (2015 self)
    The closest that I can fid is the Giantitp forums, which are amazing.

Something like that.
  • Aliroz said:

Yeah, but I don't want to make a site that is like HH.

I want an interface like Tv Tropes.

I want a green bar on the top of the screen that says you have a private message.

I want a forum that has sections so there can be many threads active at one time, and we don't have to have megathreads or lose small threads.

And dang it, I don't want this posting box at the end of a page!  I want to click "write post" and go to a different page, where I write a post and then hit, "submit post".

I want signatures on the bottom of the post, and timestamps in the upper right.

we could change the forum layout to emphasize the different categories, but I don't know if I want to do that...
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Todd in the Shadows on movies is as bad as Adam Tod Brown on music.

Okay, I'll admit it's not nearly that bad.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Something about the more traditional phpBB-style layout does appeal to me, admittedly, though I think Vanilla's minimalistic design is well-suited to HH.
    (2015 self)
    NO, anonus.

This is your forum, you are the admin, and you don't need to do what the posters say.

You're waaaaaay too lenient and waaaaay too easily swayed by the posters here.

I mean, you guys worked so hard to make a nice new color scheme, and we complained, and you gave us back the old color scheme.

You have the authority to make and enforce rules.

You can ban on a whim and wipe posts and you could delete this entire thread!  I mean, have you looked at, say, Dragon Cave forums (oh man, that takes me back to 2006)?  There were, like, polls where 83% of the userbase strongly feel that a certain issue (hoarding of yaddayaddagettingofftopichere) needed to be addressed because old users were putting newbies at a huge disadvantage, and many of the old guard were all like, "yeah, you need to be doing this thing", and TJ, the admin and site runner, was all like, "lolno.  Hoarding does not exist.  There will be no more discussion or mention of "hoarding" on this forum, enforced by ban.  You can yaddayaddagettingofftopicagainblahblahblah " anyways, the point is that the issue was never brought up again and only newbies ask about it (the old guard explains it to them).

Anonus, you have powah.  Unlimited powaaaaaaaah!

You have waaaaay, waaaaaay more restraint and waaaaay more consideration for those under your authority and using your site than I would have in your place.
    Aliroz said:

I mean, you guys worked so hard to make a nice new color scheme, and we complained, and you gave us back the old color scheme.

Not to burst your bubble, but the "new" color scheme was literally just the one that comes with a fresh Vanilla install by default.

The biggest actual customization we've made was moving the sidebar back to the right-hand side (Vanilla 2.1 puts it on the left by default).
    (2015 self)
    You were so concerned about whether or not you SHOULD that didn't realize that you COULD.
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-02-27 03:55:42

Something about the more traditional phpBB-style layout does appeal to me, admittedly, though I think Vanilla's minimalistic design is well-suited to HH.

Maybe it's because Vanilla and the modern internet have spoiled me, but recent years have made it increasingly difficult to go back to traditional forums because of how comparatively esoteric they are.

Weird thing is, Vanilla actually vaguely resembles the in-house message board software that Nick.com used, though with a more complete feature set (and a more streamlined post workflow, mostly because Vanilla doesn’t screen every post through the administration before making them public). I think that may be why I was able to get hooked here, in addition to the community itself; I used to frequent their boards as a kid, so this was more or less a natural evolution of the habit.
  • kill living beings
    i'm told you bring me closer to god
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Aliroz said:

There were a lot of megathreads on TVT, though, in every section.

Have you already forgotten about the megaheap, the jammies thread, and about 1,000 other examples?
  • Things I never knew I needed in my life: Alice in Wonderland trip hop
  • Aliroz said:

There were a lot of megathreads on TVT, though, in every section.

Have you already forgotten about the megaheap, the jammies thread, and about 1,000 other examples?
    I Just Changed Into My Jammies was a work of art.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.

2015 eat glue <,

Bad year for you? I like to think I will solve my problems this year. But I said that last year, and the year before. Let's try to have an okay 2015. I will try.
  • edited 2015-02-27 04:16:00
    CUNTASAURUS REXXX
    nah im just typing

this year's actually been pretty neat. good friends, not a whole lot of wanting to jump in front of a truck, life's nice.
  • kill living beings
    it's only been 2015 for like te n minutes
  • kill living beings
    fuck jammies

stupid word

eliminate it
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    2015 so far for me is... a little interesting. Just like last year. And the year before. I think I'm a courageous person who has many experiences, some of which are nice and some of which are nasty surprises. I hope I am more mentally stable by the time this year is over and in a better life situation.
  • kill living beings
    ride em cowboy
    (no I am not really that courageous, just I came out of my shell and I'm not being a pushover anymore and I'm going on... adventures)
  • nah im just typing

this year's actually been pretty neat. good friends, not a whole lot of wanting to jump in front of a truck, life's nice.

and you have a big life outside of this forum
  • I can't tell if Vast Aire just writes offbeat rhymes or if he's actually crazy and genuinely thinks he fights imps from the fifth dimension.
    2015 has been tolerable so far
  • i'm a rotting corpse bitch i have no life

and you have a big life outside of this forum

I doubt it's that big. Whatever big means, anyway. Lots of people to see and places to go to, maybe?
    how does it feel to rot
  • before we leave

lemme tell y'all a little somethin
  • what is it? is it GREEEECH?
  • how does it feel to rot

hit and miss
  • 2015 is one of realizing that fear is basically just life's way of gating content, and then you pay for the DLC but it sucks anyways. 

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I fell asleep on my arm again.

Lunchtime sleepiness hits me really hard.
  • last night i was sitting by the fireplace when i noticed something sticking out of the tiling slightly

pulling at it a little it came loose - a one shilling piece dated 1958. being pre-decimalisation it would be reasonable to assume it's been there since 1971 at the latest

time is cool
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    sunn wolf said:

last night i was sitting by the fireplace when i noticed something sticking out of the tiling slightly

pulling at it a little it came loose - a one shilling piece dated 1958. being pre-decimalisation it would be reasonable to assume it's been there since 1971 at the latest

time is cool

Remember what your nation did with currency when you want to make fun of us for not adopting the metric system.
  • Panurge said:

Remember what your nation did with currency when you want to make fun of us for not adopting the metric system.

we... got rid of that clusterfuck and adopted the metric system?
  • Rayman and Sonic would not be friends.

Sonic would find Ray's relatively lazy nature while not doing the hero thing abhorrent, and Ray wouldn't be impressed by Sonic's seemingly endless desire to be COOL and HIP.

Both consider Mario a friendly rival though.
  • edited 2015-02-27 17:47:13
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    England cannot criticize this continent.  Nobody in Eurasia can.

This continent gave Eurasia potatoes, raspberries, blueberries, corn, potato, punpkins, and peanuts.

Eurasia gave this continent smallpox, english ivy, european starlings, hemp, and dandelions.  Also, typhoid, malaria, measles, cholera, gypsy moths, and zebra mussles.

CONSARN IT, ENGLAND'S BEST FLAVORING WAS PARSLEY BEFORE THE COLUMBIAN EXCHANGE.  PARSLEY.

Now, as for the people on this continent, maybe.  Maybe.

But dang it, the Americas are strictly better biology and geology-wise than Eurasia, and strictly not as great as Australia.

There should not be illegal marijuana growing on Utah's lovely mountaintops.  What in the heck is this asian plant doing anywhere near the great salt lake?

Colorado, I blame you.  You were beutiful, once.  You were lovely, one of the world's great wonders.
  • edited 2015-02-27 17:49:11
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It all started with a building called Koffolt Labs. For years, the building stood there, indicated by a simple, straightforward sign:
    190 West 19th Avenue
    Koffolt Laboratories
    Then in the 2010s OSU built a new building, and decided to call the new one Koffolt Labs instead. The shiny new building had its own sign:
    151 West Woodruff Avenue
    Koffolt Laboratories
    Chemical and Biomedical Engineering Building
    And for about a month, the signs coexisted, with both buildings proclaiming themselves Koffolt Labs and students referring to "Old Koffolt" or "New Koffolt".

Then, about two weeks ago, somebody at FOD finally caught on and removed the sign from the 19th Avenue building. Problem solved, right?

Well, fast forward to this morning, where I went to the old 19th Avenue building, but found a new sign outside the entrance:
    151 West Woodruff Avenue
    Chemical and Biomedical Engineering Building
    I noticed the mistake, but didn't think much of it until I got inside...and met a very confused Domino's pizza delivery worker who couldn't find his customers...because the sign had misled him into thinking he was in 151 Woodruff when he was in 140 19th.

"151 Woodruff is actually next door," I said. "The sign is wrong."

He thanked me and went on his way, off to bring someone a well-deserved pizza.

But apparently word got out about the confusion, since no more than an hour later, when I got out of class, the erroneous "151 West Woodruff" sign had already been removed.

Now to sit and wait to see what happens next.