The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I started but didn't get very deep yet ^_^

AAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    blues lick
  • What would be the social implications of having no single narrative for much of your history?

Like, examine America (but not too closely -- it bites). We have a distinct (and largely false) narrative about freeing ourselves from the British, taking over the Indians, beating up German in two world wars, and so forth. What if we didn't have that? What if we had multiple narratives, each with some modicum of validity, starting back from the birth of the country?
  • There's the alternative narrative of being dicks to the natives, generally causing a ruckus and acting like a spoiled teenager when it came to the British, having a horribly stupid argument over whether a state has the right to tell the federal government "I DON'T LIKE YOUR SJW ANTI-SLAVERY POLICIES, SO DON'T TELL ME WHAT I CAN DO WITH MY NEGROS AND FUCK OFF" (an argument that is STILL GOING TODAY just in slightly modified form), and being lucky to not be geographically connected to either Europe or Asia when the World Wars happened.
  • edited 2015-02-16 03:13:13
    seriously

there's a reason that states' rights activists, men's rights activists, tea-partiers, and gamergaters seem kinda similar

it's because they're all about I DON"T LIKE THE SOCIAL CHANGE THAT YOU BROUGHT OR COINCIDENTIALLY ARRIVED WHEN YOU DID, SO FUCK YOU AND FUCK OFF
  • hey look i'm saying increasingly incendiary things against tea-partiers, MRAs, gamergaters, and such

i wonder when this will get me into trouble on the internet
  • edited 2015-02-16 03:17:01
    "hey it's a bunch of people celebrating obama's being the first black president"

"this doesn't look right to me anymore, because i'm used to the president being an old white guy"
    "what is the world coming to"
    "the world is ending"
    "he's got a funny name that sounds muslim so he's a muslim and muslims are terrorists so he's the antichrist"
    "no wait he's just the seventh horseman"
    "FUCK YOU ALL AND YOUR SOCIAL PROGRESS BULLSHIT"
    "YOU CAME IN WHEN THE ECONOMY WAS BAD SO YOU OBVIOUSLY RUINED THE ECONOMY"
    "OF COURSE BLACKS CANT GOVERN BECAUSE THEY ALL JUST LISTEN TO RAP MUSIC AND GET INVOLVED IN NEIGHBORHOOD GANGS"
    "SECRET UN MUSLIM ATHEIST ILLUMINATI AGENDA"
  • "no wait he's just the seventh horseman"

Best newspaper correction ever, though.
  • I honestly didn't mean for this to get political?

I was asking for story-building reasons concerning a world where historical records tend to unravel when you try to examine anything more than a few hundred years old, leading to general uncertainty about the specific details of major events. 
  • no, sorry, getting political was my fault

since i am pretty political
  • naney said:

holy ever loving mother of fuck my computer is slow

i wonder if i can create a disk to reinstall windows

or else i'll have to wait for windows 10

ugh

Which version of windows are you running?
  • Yarrun: going back to your question, it depends a lot on the situation. If you're assuming one state with multiple narratives, then whoever is in charge will presumably have theirs disseminated most widely. If this is a story set in an analogue to the modern day (specifically in terms of communication technology and public education, which would be the two biggest factors; otherwise it varies widely depending on how widespread literacy and printing are) then theirs will likely be promulgated until it effectively becomes the single dominant narrative. If it's not, their story will still be favored in terms of, for instance, official state holidays.

Aside from that, I would say some kind of consensus would arise within each group, and when they talked to other groups, got their stories, and then came home, it would be more like "Did you know they believe that this happened?" "Really? Huh."  Of course, this could be a lot more violent depending on a lot of factors. Presumably each story will favor that group, either overtly or subtly, but if it does so in a way that really steps on another group's toes, there could be violence. 

I dunno. Sorry for being so vague, it really depends on a lot of stuff.
  • naney said:

ugh

• @Naneyhttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso I've been using this on my boot camp partition for a while now, despite being a preview it's quite robust. Played DA:I all the way through and everything.
  • (And apparently it only lasts for two more months, so good thing I looked that up again, but it'll keep you until 10 comes out)
  • Haven said:

@Naneyhttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso I've been using this on my boot camp partition for a while now, despite being a preview it's quite robust. Played DA:I all the way through and everything.

You are my savior

now all i need is for my sister to find my portable DVD drive that i got for christmas that she then promptly lost
  • naney said:

naney said:

ugh

Okay.

This might be helpful then, though it might be easier just to do a factory reset to reinstall windows.

http://www.techfleece.com/2012/10/18/download-windows-7-install-disks-legally-for-free/
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    So do people among the TV Tropes Diaspora still like Doctor Who or did they get tired of it like I did
  • I'm not sure we have a united opinion, but I know I couldn't keep watching after a point. Maybe I should give Capaldi's doctor a shot, though.
  • Ditto, actually.

I think I grew weary of the Moffat house style somewhere during Clara's time with Eleven, though I'm kind of willing to try it again with Capaldi.
    I never watched Doctor Who
  • edited 2015-02-16 04:18:44
    The Church of the Holy Melocure

i am currently worshipping here

(by that I mean I'm listening to their album)
  • Yarrun: going back to your question, it depends a lot on the situation. If you're assuming one state with multiple narratives, then whoever is in charge will presumably have theirs disseminated most widely. If this is a story set in an analogue to the modern day (specifically in terms of communication technology and public education, which would be the two biggest factors; otherwise it varies widely depending on how widespread literacy and printing are) then theirs will likely be promulgated until it effectively becomes the single dominant narrative. If it's not, their story will still be favored in terms of, for instance, official state holidays.

Aside from that, I would say some kind of consensus would arise within each group, and when they talked to other groups, got their stories, and then came home, it would be more like "Did you know they believe that this happened?" "Really? Huh."  Of course, this could be a lot more violent depending on a lot of factors. Presumably each story will favor that group, either overtly or subtly, but if it does so in a way that really steps on another group's toes, there could be violence. 

I dunno. Sorry for being so vague, it really depends on a lot of stuff.
    Huh.

My theory would be that everybody would generally stop thinking about the past in detail. Anything older than 300 years ago becomes "a long time ago", with relative age taking over. Also, a greater focus on gaining fame and glory to ensure that something about you sticks in the history books. Or, alternatively, not doing anything too infamous so you don't end up being remembered for that one time you were a dick. 
    I told you 'bout the swans that they live in the park

• Huh.

My theory would be that everybody would generally stop thinking about the past in detail. Anything older than 300 years ago becomes "a long time ago", with relative age taking over. Also, a greater focus on gaining fame and glory to ensure that something about you sticks in the history books. Or, alternatively, not doing anything too infamous so you don't end up being remembered for that one time you were a dick. 
    Starting from the point that there are large gaps in people's understanding of history, it doesn't really sound like it would make that much of a difference. For one thing, does anyone have any reason to assume that, since it sounds like historical records have been properly kept for the last three hundred years, they would not continue to be kept that way?

But I think most people don't think about history that much, in this way. Three hundred years is already "a long time ago" from most perspectives (not geological time, obviously). In general, people are mostly concerned with here and now, and how their friends will remember them after they died, not people living hundreds of years from now. And only the very most exceptional deeds going down in history is normally how it goes anyway.

It's interesting to think about how that could change in the future, since almost everyone carrying around cameras all the time means we're taking more comprehensive and complete records of our day to day lives than it's ever been possible to take, but I figure that stuff will mostly be looked at in aggregate--maybe one unfortunate person gets their embarrassing tweets sampled in a textbook to make a point, but that wouldn't be too different from history books quoting letters from ordinary people.
  • i am at the helenistic philosphers!!
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I crave cuddles

Stupid distance
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I upgraded a planet to Windows Vista
  • hi

we're setting things up for you
  • are any of the open source music software things on ubuntu any good? i was going to investigate them
  • naney said:

i am at the helenistic philosphers!!

i am the black wizards
  • hazelnut milk is so great
    Her Royal Highness Meredith, Princess Emeritus of the Principality of Centralia
  • sunn wolf said:

are any of the open source music software things on ubuntu any good? i was going to investigate them

i wasnt a fan
  • kill living beings
    i like puredata but it's kind of a motherfucker to set up

maybe you'd be interested in dyne:bolic
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit

Ka -- that is, souls -- are used as currency in the Underworld. Back in more ancient times, it was a simple barter system; you gave someone some Ka, and they gave you goods and services in return. It worked reasonably well, but Ka are tricky to extract from the dead, and a pain to store and transport. (They are basically ghosts, after all.)

Eventually, the jackal-headed minions of the god of Death hit on the idea of operating a Ka storage facility -- essentially, they invented currency and banking simultaneously. They harvest the Ka and give you gold coins in exchange, which are accepted as legal tender by basically everyone. The jackal demons make their profit by giving coins for real Ka at a 1-for-1 rate, when the face value of the coins is actually only .9 of a Ka. Everyone accepts this cut as the price of extreme convenience, and the jackal demons have become immensely rich.
    The fact that jackal-headed death demons took to banking like a fish to water is something that should surprise exactly nobody.

I'm playing KoL again and it's exactly as glorious as I remember
    In a bit of sleep-deprivation-induced nonsense, I came close to deleting Xubuntu from my laptop to save disk space

Then when I actually opened gparted I realized that my 48 GB Linux partition is actually a very small fraction of my HDD space anyways
    Windows's Disk Management program, by default, shows the partitions on a log scale, which makes sense, so that tiny partitions aren't too small to click on

But it did visually exaggerate the size that Ubuntu takes up, so I thought I'd gain more disk space than I actually would have
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Anonus said:

In a bit of sleep-deprivation-induced nonsense, I came close to deleting Xubuntu from my laptop to save disk space

Then when I actually opened gparted I realized that my 48 GB Linux partition is actually a very small fraction of my HDD space anyways

Stop lying.

No computer has 48 Gigabytes.

You're making things up, at least e realistic about it.
  • I opened my Pictures\Commentary folder by accident last night while half asleep.

FYI this is the folder that contains a bunch of images whose only commonality is that they have something opinionated to say about one or more entertainment industries.

Examples include:
    * a CSI meme "keep zooming" image
    * a picture of an anime girl complaining about perversion
    * a picture of a t-shirt featuring a portrait of Che Guevara captioned with "I have no idea who this is."
    * a picture comparing Justin Bieber and Miku Hatsune
    * multiple pictures of "westernized" names of anime characters
    * a picture of three screenshots from recent videogames, all of which feature a gun with a sight in a first-person perspective and a "camera" splattered with blood
    * a picture pointing out that Jinx looks like Rita Repulsa
  • "Dixie Flatline" is a fun name.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Kingdom of Loathing: the only video game to have randomized conspiracy theories
  • windows 10 is cute but cortana is like a hungover siri that doesnt actually work at this stage
  • kill living beings
    ...cortana? like, halo?
  • I still haven't tried it yet, but when you put it like that I've clearly been missing out.
    Aliroz said:

Anonus said:

Stop lying.

No computer has 48 Gigabytes.

You're making things up, at least e realistic about it.
    Pretty terable, isn't it?
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

...cortana? like, halo?

microsoft developers are nerds
  • ...cortana? like, halo?

yeah
  • kill living beings
    the new clippy is cortana? you're not pulling my leg right
    the vile red falcon