The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• kill living beings
    lol everyone wants my ssn. awesome
  • Woo teletypes!

One reason most old-time UNIX commands are two letters is that the keys on those, which were the only interactive terminals in use at the time, were stiff to press and thus you didn't want to have to type too many letters.
  • edited 2014-12-01 19:29:30
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I've never actually used a 33, but I imagine it couldn't be any worse than a manual typewriter...

Also, I was totally browsing HH in Lynx on an emulated DECstation over the weekend.
  • i patched my jeans, dunno how long it'll last

note to self: heavier weight denim
  • Manual typewriters sucked too.

I loved electric typewriters though.  Sometimes I miss them.  Maybe I should own one so it's harder to get distracted by editing my own words.  But I should just develop discipline.  Dammit.
  • Tre said:

okay, so

Amazon's got Bethesda games on sale and I'm trying to pick one because I'm buying Persona 4 Golden for myself as well and I feel like burning money, so: between Fallout NV, Skyrim and Dishonored, which one is the best deal for $5?
    Haven't played Dishonored, but between the two, get Fallout New Vegas. Also, if you get New Vegas (not sure if it's on sale) get the ultimate edition. It's worth the extra price for the DLC. What platform are you getting it for, out of curiosity?
    PC for any of the three.

All of them are $5 and run via Steam, so it's a good deal no matter which one. (Fallout 3 and some other stuff is there too, but I don't have as much interest in that one for some reason.)
  • Skyrim sounds fun and i wanna pick it up at some point
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I love manual typewriters

My mother has one from the 1920s...it's so beautiful

She inherited it from her grandfather, who typed everything because he was blind
  • Knowledge itself has a way of not staying dead, eventually new knowledge comes by that revives the previous dead knowledge.
  • i have decided: my weight loss goal is another 20 lbs by next June

boom
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Totally Trisha Twintails Time

starring Trisha Twintails and Ruby Rae Rogers
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    You seem more skilled at coming up with girls' names than me
    Anonus said:

I do it more often is all...
  • i had to take a pair of my jeans back to the shop today because the jean fabric was becoming fucked after less than 2 weeks
  • Tre said:

Tre said:

okay, so

Amazon's got Bethesda games on sale and I'm trying to pick one because I'm buying Persona 4 Golden for myself as well and I feel like burning money, so: between Fallout NV, Skyrim and Dishonored, which one is the best deal for $5?
    Haven't played Dishonored, but between the two, get Fallout New Vegas. Also, if you get New Vegas (not sure if it's on sale) get the ultimate edition. It's worth the extra price for the DLC. What platform are you getting it for, out of curiosity?
    PC for any of the three.

All of them are $5 and run via Steam, so it's a good deal no matter which one. (Fallout 3 and some other stuff is there too, but I don't have as much interest in that one for some reason.)
    Gotcha. Looking on amazon, the digital download for PC for Fallout NV: Ultimate Edition is $5, so yeah, definitely get New Vegas while it's on sale.
  • Anonus said:

I do it more often is all...
    by and large, this is the accepted method of becoming more skilled at something
  • i got these for 14 bucks so i can't complain really
  • ya mine were £24 hence me taking them back to the shop and getting a refund
  • Tre said:

Tre said:

okay, so

PC for any of the three.

Having played both, I also recommend New Vegas. Dishonored's not a bad game, but New Vegas will get you a good bit of bang for your buck. 
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Remember that time I trolled a guy just by pretending to prefer Fallout 3
  • Keydoke! Thanks, guys ^_^
  • someone has bought a copy of russell brand's "revolution" into my house *hisses*
  • oooooh yeeeeeeeeesssssss

Persona went down enough that I can get Dishonored AND FNV

^_____________^
  • Tre said:

oooooh yeeeeeeeeesssssss

Persona went down enough that I can get Dishonored AND FNV

^_____________^
    How much is Persona 4? I might pick that up depending on the price.
  • I snagged the Vita version used for $16.02 (shipping included) just now, but I think it went back up to $15.99 after that

still better than what it was last week though (easily in the $20s)
  • Tre said:

I snagged the Vita version used for $16.02 (shipping included) just now, but I think it went back up to $15.99 after that

still better than what it was last week though (easily in the $20s)
    Aw crap, I forgot it was for Vita.
    The next poster has a crippling fear of x86-based hardware
  • sunn wolf said:

russell brand's "revolution"

what is this
  • "My love of God elevates the intention of this book beyond the dry and
    admirable establishment of collectivized communities," he writes. "I
    remain uncharmed by the incessant rationalization that requires the
    spirit's capitulation."

damn that's some fuckin prose right there
  • naney said:

sunn wolf said:

russell brand's "revolution"

what is this
    a really fucking dumb book
  • russell brand now that he has politically rebranded (lol) himself, has essentially become will self for idiots.
  • kill living beings
    Pyridrym said:
    vowels and consonants are given different binary values.

have no fucking clue about the context of course or if that helps.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    What frustrates me about Russell Brand is that when he started out on this political... thing, he cheerfully admitted that he didn't have all the answers.  The problems he was pointing out were (a) obvious and (b) obviously problems, and he was right that lots of people were frustrated because none of the options realistically open to voters were aimed at fixing those problems.

A few months later he's back with a book explaining exactly how all our problems can be fixed... by simply not voting.  That's it.  Just don't vote and everything will be fine because it just will.
  • edited 2014-12-01 21:14:26

If we consider humanity to be not a disparate and separate
    conglomeration of individuals but the temporary physical manifestation
    and expression of a subtler electromagnetic, microcosmic realm (thy will
    be done, on earth as it is in heaven), like in Campbell's lightbulb
    allegory, then all resultant phenomena emanated from a single source, so
    we are all jointly responsible

ok
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Let's talk about more important thinks, like this http://existentialcomics.com/comic/57
    I asked Mother if I could borrow some money for steel-toed boots and then pay her back once I get a job

She said she doesn't have enough money to buy boots right now

:(
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS

Pyridrym said:
    vowels and consonants are given different binary values.

have no fucking clue about the context of course or if that helps.
    Thanks, but I was already aware of that, I will now ramble about it in my personal thread instead.

I asked Mother if I could borrow some money for steel-toed boots and then pay her back once I get a job

She said she doesn't have enough money to buy boots right now

:(
    That sucks.

i'm sorry.
    Thanks Tachyon.
  • edited 2014-12-01 21:38:20
    assignment: 'choose a literary methodology and apply it to a text'

me: haha fuck u *chooses literary methodology which is by definition not a methodology and is impossible to "apply"*
    You know what I don't understand? People who want Microsoft to bring back the Windows Aero theme.

Like...if you want Windows 10 to be an exact copy of Windows 7...why not just use Windows 7??
    i remember i had an assignment like that once.

i did incredibly badly.
  • kill living beings

You know what I don't understand? People who want Microsoft to bring back the Windows Aero theme.

Like...if you want Windows 10 to be an exact copy of Windows 7...why not just use Windows 7??
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/lifecycle

Because it's older and will one day no longer be supported, i guess?  Older OSes are going to get less useful and harder to get hold of the older they become.

i mean, a new OS is more than an interface change, is it not?
  • when is windows jeff coming out
  • kill living beings
    bottom of last page, windows 7 mainstream support ends in less than two months
    Ah, dammit.