i am so fucking tired of people saying that people are terrible

Most, if not all people do terrible things at some point in their lives

a good number of people do really fucking heinous things

but terrible people?

terrible through and through?

there aint a lot of those people about.

yeah i agree with this a lot
    it is pretty much my main thing
  • A terrible person is simply someone who is defined in public perception by one or more terrible things they have done.

I'd be comfortable calling say, Andrew Jackson a terrible person.
  • Calling people who are still alive terrible is usually hyperbole at best though.

Not always, but usually.
  • that

is just

that's really toxic man

like, saying someone is a "terrible person" is dehumanizing. it sets them apart from normal people, people like us who "could never do such things"

it allows us to neatly shelve that shit away, it prevents us from empathizing, from gaining understanding of ourselves.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    naney said:

that

is just

that's really toxic man

like, saying someone is a "terrible person" is dehumanizing. it sets them apart from normal people, people like us who "could never do such things"

it allows us to neatly shelve that shit away, it prevents us from empathizing, from gaining understanding of ourselves.

Yeah, I pretty soundly agree with this.

And even taking into account some of the awful things that people through history have done, that does not keep them from having done some really positive things as well. A true absence of redemptive qualities is extremely rare.
  • when i committed myself to understanding why things were done i suddenly became a much less vindictive person
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Okay, allow me to amend my statement because I have been raised to use language in a certain way.

Your nation - and mine - were both put together by some evil acts, which gave rise to evil systems, and thus everything we touch or ever do is stained red by that bloodshed.
  • I don't think I'm particularly vindictive.

In any case,

I think you can find redemptive qualities in almost anyone--perhaps literally anyone--if you look hard enough, but that does not necessarily mean they matter. At some point, there is a tipping point where any amount of good a person has done becomes mostly irrelevant. I'm not a sage, and will not claim to know where that point is. Generally I try to avoid making that judgment.

Frankly, given how often I see the terms "terrible", "stupid", etc. casually flung around on here, it's pretty surprising to me that this is suddenly an issue.

Okay, allow me to amend my statement because I have been raised to use language in a certain way.

Your nation - and mine - were both put together by some evil acts, which gave rise to evil systems, and thus everything we touch or ever do is stained red by that bloodshed.
    This is also true from a certain perspective. I don't get what point you're trying to make here, if any.
    As would be the case with any country, really. So we work with what we've got and try to keep doing better.
  • edited 2014-09-26 00:08:21
    ^^i used "i" statements for a reason

also yeah i agree with your last thing tho
  • edited 2014-09-26 00:09:36
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I don't actually believe people are horrible. I just think that they're human, and humans live in and create systems that allow and sometimes encourage the practice of evil.

My point is the clarity of language. I always want to speak what I mean, not what I am raised to say. Sometimes I can't do it, so I need to amend it.
  • so very bluh right now
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    You wanna go see a movie?
  • man i don't even want to get up from the couch

or let my eyes resto on one thing too logn
  • or fix thypos fuck that noise
    Kexruct said:

man i don't even want to get up from the couch

or let my eyes resto on one thing too logn

You are having a stimulant comedown.

Eat something and go to bed.
  • can't do that, missing work that i need need need to work on
  • i hate digging myself holes
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    moo
    Kexruct said:

can't do that, missing work that i need need need to work on

Man, you are not going to be able to do your work properly if you can't even type.

Set your alarm early and do your work in the morning.
  • i can type; i'm totally able to it just takes a lot of convincing myself to do

also alarms don't wake me up, only fear, regret, and desperation do. the joke in that sentence was purely in tone those three thrings really are the only ones that'll wake me up
    heart container
    how do those even work
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Watching Scooby-Doo!: Mystery Incorporated

I like Frank Welker, but his Scooby voice is way off

RIP Don Messick
    >the opening credits use Eames Century Modern, but the in-show credits use Sentinel

Warner Bros. should be glad that Mr. Typophile didn't yet own the studio when this was produced
  • edited 2014-09-26 01:08:07

idk if i'd say it's off, i feel that actors should have leeway in their roles playing characters that were played by others earlier.

even if they're "just" voice acting
    It is a bit irksome how they don't even use Hanna-Barbera's name for Scooby anymore

Warner Bros. is the great devourer - everything is WB WB WB
    naney said:

idk if i'd say it's off, i feel that actors should have leeway in their roles playing characters that were played by others earlier.

>"just" voice acting

you do realize that voices are really important to me, right
  • Anonus said:

naney said:

>"just" voice acting

you do realize that voices are really important to me, right
    that's why i had it in quotes, to indicate that it is important

because if i hadn't put it in quotes, it would have seemed like that was what i was saying
  • though i guess by putting it in quotes i was implying that you didn't think it was important

hmm

i wonder how i could restructure that sentence to make it more clear
    the great devourer
    Hanna-Barbera must return

The public wants it

I know I'm gonna get a bunch of "the public doesn't care" responses though
    as though he wanted to swallow all the air, all the earth, all the men before him
    I suspect the public doesn't care
    Warner Bros. is coming to eat us

Also, there's a background character in this show who looks like Don Knotts

this show is fucking amazing, isn't it
  • joseph conrad was a dude
    probably, yeah
  • i remember there's an episode of Mystery Inc. where they completely turn the formula upside down, everyone sticks together, Fred's plan works perfectly and they catch the bad guys within the first 10 minutes of the episode

it's the only scooby-doo episode i recall that i have strong fond feelings towards
    if they catch the bad guys that fast, what do they do with the rest of the episode? Make out and smoke pot?
  • if they catch the bad guys that fast, what do they do with the rest of the episode? Make out and smoke pot?

i don't recall
  • edited 2014-09-26 01:25:13
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Snuffles wanders into town, still feeling suicidal over the discontinuation over favorite Gro-Pup™ dog biscuits. By chance, though, a Scooby Snack has fallen to the ground. He picks it up, eats it, and reacts the way he always did to his beloved dog biscuits: by hugging himself, leaping high into the air, and floating back down and landing on his back, while letting out an "ahh!"

Snuffles now has a taste for Scooby Snacks, eliciting the ire of Scooby. The two spend what remains of the episode fighting over the still-plenty-full Scooby Snack box.
    I didn't know you knew German
    it's better than writing fanfiction about Hanna-Barbera second-stringers
  • Anonus said:

it's better than writing fanfiction about Hanna-Barbera second-stringers

Give me a week. I think I'm back on the writing kick.