The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I liked Scooby as a kid

later I realized that it's actually pretty crappy
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

I liked Scooby as a kid

later I realized that it's actually pretty crappy

Same.
  • edited 2014-08-21 23:19:35
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The hallmark of H-B is, to me, the look established early in the studio's existence

Scooby goes against it all on purpose - it must say something about me that A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, which is actually cartoony, is the only iteration of the franchise I hold any fondness for

(for one thing, Scooby's reaction to Scooby Snacks is a deliberate callback to Snuffles from Quick Draw McGraw)
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    and no I haven't seen Mystery Incorporated, though I intend on doing so
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Sometimes I want to wear a poncho.
    that is a nice outfit
    are you the keymaster
  • edited 2014-08-22 00:46:54

Crystal said:

And at the rate you're going, you'll soon be seeing where I took my avatar from, and probably why I like Hwa Ryun. Nice.
    Been awhile since I did my little liveblog of Tower of God, since I got distracted.

Anyway, I left off on chapter 168, so I'm gonna start from there, but before I do, I'm going to hazard a guess about what this is referring to and we'll see how right I was when I get there. I'm going to guess that Hwa Ryun is going to be a good equivalent or at the very least morally ambiguous version of Izaya for Tower of God.

No that that's said, let's see what happens.
  • are you the keymaster

idk what this is a reference to
    it is a reference to Ghostbusters

the correct response is "are you the gatekeeper"
  • Soooooo..... Tower of God chapter 170.

Spoiler:
    So, Hwa Ryun seems to be playing all sides. I fucking called it, good or morally ambiguous equivalent to Izaya indeed. There's possibly a splinter group within FUG that she's working for against the elders of FUG, but called it on the manipulation of various parties. Now Baam has the real thorn. Let's see how this plays out.

• Tower of god spoiler

Spoiler:
    Ja Wangnan just got stabbed through the heart or so it seems. That's bad. Like really bad.

• edited 2014-08-22 01:46:14
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ERROR: Princess Alice sleeping could not be found: access denied

If the problem persists, contact Royal Sysadmin
  • edited 2014-08-22 02:27:03

ToG spoilers

Spoiler:
    And Beta is on the top of my shit list at the moment. He's such an annoying character. I get what happened to him is terrible and tragic, but he just turns around and blames a person who is the most tangentially related possible and then tries to kill anyone he ever knew just to make him miserable. From the outside of the story perspective, it's a backstory and characterization that's used way too much and inside the story he just sounds so whiny and bratty.

And now the scientist lady gets a an excuse for her behavior because she was just trying to help the abandoned children by turning them into living weapons. Blech.

At least Lero-ro and Androssi are back and kicking ass. Then again, the first thing Androssi does when showing up is complain about being delayed for her date. So yeah, definitely see how weak the romance aspect of the series is. Especially Androssi's attraction to Baam.

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Spoiler:
    You know, all of that could kind of easily be considered spoilers, hehe. At least in my opinion, even if I saw this stuff about Beta coming.

Anyway, I feel like SIU didn't handle Beta's characterization towards Baam very well. At first, I thought he had honestly gone mad from a combination of jealousy and all of the cruel things that happened to him; that would actually have been far more interesting than his simply trying to destroy Team Tangsooyook, considering Sophia and the others worked on forcing shinsoo into a person a way that very well could mess them up. I agree that the backstory and characterization could be done better, though I do feel some sympathy for him. He's a child that's still being worked on upon his introduction, which is pretty terrible. To me it makes sense that he'd act at least somewhat bratty, and be fairly power-hungry.

I didn't like Sophia's handling either, honestly.

Lero-ro is a cool guy with cool powers, and Androssi is a cool gal with a fair amount of spunk and personality, that I find interesting... except for where Baam is concerned. I can't genuinely ship them, at least right now. Though they're not two people I'd like to ship anyway. Very few people are in Tower of God for me, outside of "I like X, and I like Y, so let's ship them!" which is various levels of seriousness.
  • edited 2014-08-22 02:29:54

Finished the Workshop tournament arc and caught up on Tower of God. It was a good arc, but it was starting to drain on me by the end of it. Plus,
    Spoiler:
    I feel like Hwa Ryun and the others getting takes as hostages was unnecessary and the fight with Reflejo could have been cut out entirely. It would have been better if it ended with Baam getting summoned.
    Still a good arc overall and I can't wait to see where the next arc goes.

Kind of interesting to see Baam with short hair again. He looks like he did 7 years ago.
  • Crystal said:

Spoiler:
    You know, all of that could kind of easily be considered spoilers, hehe. At least in my opinion, even if I saw this stuff about Beta coming.

Anyway, I feel like SIU didn't handle Beta's characterization towards Baam very well. At first, I thought he had honestly gone mad from a combination of jealousy and all of the cruel things that happened to him; that would actually have been far more interesting than his simply trying to destroy Team Tangsooyook, considering Sophia and the others worked on forcing shinsoo into a person a way that very well could mess them up. I agree that the backstory and characterization could be done better, though I do feel some sympathy for him. He's a child that's still being worked on upon his introduction, which is pretty terrible. To me it makes sense that he'd act at least somewhat bratty, and be fairly power-hungry.

Lero-ro is a cool guy with cool powers, and Androssi is a cool gal with a fair amount of spunk and personality, that I find interesting... except for where Baam is concerned. I can't genuinely ship them, at least right now. Though they're not two people I'd like to ship anyway. Very few people are in Tower of God for me, outside of "I like X, and I like Y, so let's ship them!" which is various levels of seriousness.
    Went back and put spoiler tags on the previous post.

Spoiler:
    Honestly, Beta could have been sympathetic to me in the abstract, since as you said he's just a kid with a terrible past, but his character took me out of the scenes with him in it so much that I couldn't enjoy it and had a hard time even feeling sympathy for him.

I wouldn't mind shipping them if they had more interaction with each other in part II, which I suppose we've been leading up to and will (hopefully) have more interaction in the future, but yeah not really big on shipping for this either.

• edited 2014-08-22 02:59:13
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...

Finished the Workshop tournament arc and caught up on Tower of God. It was a good arc, but it was starting to drain on me by the end of it. Plus,

Spoiler:
    I feel like Hwa Ryun and the others getting takes as hostages was unnecessary and the fight with Reflejo could have been cut out entirely. It would have been better if it ended with Baam getting summoned.
    Still a good arc overall and I can't wait to see where the next arc goes.

Kind of interesting to see Baam with short hair again. He looks like he did 7 years ago.
    Spoiler:
    I can see the former, though the latter less so. I get the feeling SIU really wanted to run with these unfinished tournament ideas, and the "normal" area and "underground" aspects running together. Hwa Ryun herself getting captured makes sense to me, honestly, because she's a Guide. A confident guide no less. She's more than certain of how things will work for others, so it follows for me that she's quite certain she'll be okay. Reflejo, like Beta, always struck me as a slow boil that's ready to burst, which they both did, because FUG and the Workshop science folks are generally not righteous people. Plus he was reasonably instrumental in Baam's success as Viole, but are too fundamentally different to really work under the same banner.

The character that grated on me more was the Mad Dog, who by the end became little more than a tool (functionally and as an insult). Which works, because we can't all be Hwa Ryun or Kuhn and so on. However, he stopped being a serious threat once he couldn't kill Horyang and Novick. Meanwhile, as the focus shifts too Reflejo and his agenda, he gets wiped in an entertaining though fairly formulaic fashion; Androssi, an older character, for the most part thrashes a newer one. A curb stomp but in kinder terms, as I loathe the term.

Crystal said:

Spoiler:

Went back and put spoiler tags on the previous post.

Spoiler:
    Honestly, Beta could have been sympathetic to me in the abstract, since as you said he's just a kid with a terrible past, but his character took me out of the scenes with him in it so much that I couldn't enjoy it and had a hard time even feeling sympathy for him.

I wouldn't mind shipping them if they had more interaction with each other in part II, which I suppose we've been leading up to and will (hopefully) have more interaction in the future, but yeah not really big on shipping for this either.

Spoiler:
    Fair enough for Beta, really, though I typed up my upper response first. He was a big character, and rightly so given the ridiculous power forced onto him as a test subject, but the execution is a bit weird.

I'm also agree on Androssi/Baam, really.

Also, ow you know what scene my avatar is from (as well as the quote)! I was tempted to instead change it to one of her smirks in the more recent chapters, but this one has grown on me. It's a very nice, casually satisfied smile. 

And I also like Baam's newer hair too. It's nice.
  • Crystal said:

Spoiler:
    I can see the former, though the latter less so. I get the feeling SIU really wanted to run with these unfinished tournament ideas, and the "normal" area and "underground" aspects running together. Hwa Ryun herself getting captured makes sense to me, honestly, because she's a Guide. A confident guide no less. She's more than certain of how things will work for others, so it follows for me that she's quite certain she'll be okay. Reflejo, like Beta, always struck me as a slow boil that's ready to burst, which they both did, because FUG and the Workshop science folks are generally not righteous people. Plus he was reasonably instrumental in Baam's success as Viole, but are too fundamentally different to really work under the same banner.

The character that grated on me more was the Mad Dog, who by the end became little more than a tool (functionally and as an insult). Which works, because we can't all be Hwa Ryun or Kuhn and so on. However, he stopped being a serious threat once he couldn't kill Horyang and Novick. Meanwhile, as the focus shifts too Reflejo and his agenda, he gets wiped in an entertaining though fairly formulaic fashion; Androssi, an older character, for the most part thrashes a newer one. A curb stomp but in kinder terms, as I loathe the term.

Spoiler:
    Fair enough for Beta, really, though I typed up my upper response first. He was a big character, and rightly so given the ridiculous power forced onto him as a test subject, but the execution is a bit weird.

I'm also agree on Androssi/Baam, really.

Also, ow you know what scene my avatar is from! I was tempted to instead change it to one of her smirks in the more recent chapters, but this one has grown on me. It's a very nice, casually satisfied smile.

And I also like Baam's newer hair too. It's nice.
    Spoiler:
    The thing that annoyed me the most about Hwa Ryun getting captured was it just felt like she got damsel-fied a bit when she got captured. Granted, it's not as bad as some examples I could think of characters getting damsel-fied, but it was still annoying to me. For Reflejo, his character fell kind of flat for me, so I didn't like him in general and I will admit that you have a good point about him being instrumental in Baam's success as Voile. However, the fight with Reflejo, at least to me, seemed to be an excuse for Baam to get a power-up after fusing with the Thorn, and I would have preferred it if the author had held off on that and had Baam gradually realize and refine his new power on the hell express instead of him getting a power-up all at once at the end of the arc. Plus, I though Reflejo's fight was boring so that didn't help either.

I can see what you mean about Mad Dog. I wasn't overly invested in his character to be honest, but it is kind of annoying that he ended up just being fodder for Androssi.

I can see why you have that scene as your avatar. It is a really good scene. Also, Rak and the others peeping on Baam's date and having Koon call them out on it was funny though.
  • edited 2014-08-22 03:20:06
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Spoiler:
    For what it's worth, I totally feel the damselfication in that scene, and won't really argue with that facet of it. The quick Thorn upgrade is also pretty fair. I like shounen, that's just too shounen in the standard way. I also actually really enjoyed the fight with Reflejo, because Kuhn's always got something in his bag briefcase of tricks. It was very much a power battle, though.

As for the Mad Dog, his introduction was a bit brutish, so I was expecting him to really force some tough calls on the main people (and hoping for that). Unfortunately, that was not the case.

It is. Now that the team's transformed, and will be focusing more on forcing their way onto the Hell Train (which, by the way, heck yes), I hope the time in the prologue and on the Train will be spent building on relationships and shedding some light on some folks. Rak and Kuhn and Baam, Hwa Ryun, Yuri, Rachel, and Androssi all stick out for me, personally. Agreed on the calling out being funny as well.
  • Crystal said:

Spoiler:
    For what it's worth, I totally feel the damselfication in that scene, and won't really argue with that facet of it. The quick Thorn upgrade is also pretty fair. I like shounen, that's just too shounen in the standard way. I also actually really enjoyed the fight with Reflejo, because Kuhn's always got something in his bag briefcase of tricks. It was very much a power battle, though.

As for the Mad Dog, his introduction was a bit brutish, so I was expecting him to really force some tough calls on the main people (and hoping for that). Unfortunately, that was not the case.

It is. Now that the team's transformed, and will be focusing more on forcing their way onto the Hell Train (which, by the way, heck yes), I hope the time in the prologue and on the Train will be spent building on relationships and shedding some light on some folks. Rak and Kuhn and Baam, Hwa Ryun, Yuri, Rachel, and Androssi all stick out for me, personally. Agreed on the calling out being funny as well.
    Spoiler:
    Koon's bag of tricks was actually my favorite part of the Reflejo fight. His smug face upon rescuing Hwa Ryun was great.

I don't know what I expected of Mad Dog, looking back on it. But yeah, hopefully he'll get more interesting in the future, because his role was kind of lackluster

I'm interested in the Hell train and definitely agree with hoping that we'll get more relationship building and character development. The only thing I'm not entirely excited about is the fact there's only a limited number of tickets. While I can kind of understand the in-story reasons, after that same plot device was used in the last arc, I'm kind of like "Come on, really?"
    spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler
  • THIS LITTLE
    RED RIDING HOOD'S
    GOT A BAAAAAAASKET

FULL OF KICKASS!
  • im a good kitty
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    @thenamelesssamurai

Plus major events in my media that happen to take place on trains are a huge plus for me. Fair enough on the tickets thing, too. I agree with that. Also, having someone else current on this is pretty cool.

spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler

Haha, yeah, pretty much.
  • house hunting is stressful
  • Crystal said:

@thenamelesssamurai

Plus major events in my media that happen to take place on trains are a huge plus for me. Fair enough on the tickets thing, too. I agree with that. Also, having someone else current on this is pretty cool.

Haha, yeah, pretty much.
    Yeah, it is nice for me to have someone to talk to about this as I'm reading it. Though now I have to wait to get more and I really want more.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    http://yokai.com/

This is a cool site.
  • kill living beings
    hum, obakemono disappeared
  • LWLW
    edited 2014-08-22 14:29:40

This is probably a dumb comment, but I find it kind of surprising when I hear Heapers talk about how they are usually pretty quiet in real life. It does make sense that some people would feel a lot more comfortable talking online in a relatively safe space like HH than offline. Still, it makes me sort of wonder if my level of introvertedness is unreasonably high or something, since I find it intimidating to talk about stuff both offline and online.

To make up for that weird comment, here is a thrillingly scary story, read at your own risk.

"You know the story of golem bob is a really scary creepypaste. It was about this kid and all he wanted was his own golem and his dad said 'no, we can't get a golem' and then one day he went to a garage sale and golems were on sale and he got it and then the golem turned out to be his real dad. The end."
    I liked that story.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Awesome stuff.
    (2015 self)

Garage sale? Man, you can sell them much easier online these days.

Not in my valley.  Garage sales are a major factor in the local getting of stuffs.
    (2015 self)
    I tripleposted already, you cannot stop it.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    it smells like feet in here
  • edited 2014-08-22 15:53:45
    it smells like wet fur in here
    it smells like teen spirit in here
  • Better that than Axe
  • you know what's better than axe?
  • Tired of demonic baboons staring into your kitchen?

Turn out the light!

http://baboongone.ytmnd.com/
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Odradek said:

So. . . I think beloved comics page feline and king of comedy “Garfield” is a bakeneko. Shocking, I know. Here is my evidence:

According to Japanese folklore, a cat may become a bakeneko by meeting any of the following three conditions:
    -Living over ten years of age.

Check
    -Reaching one kan (3.75 kg or 8.25 lbs) in weight
    Big Check

Once transformed, bakeneko gain a range of paranormal powers. These powers are used to haunt the household they live in. They include:
    -menacing (even eating) sleeping humans

That’s a check.

-walking on its hind legs.

HMM.

-They may use their shape-shifting powers to live a life as a human would normally 

-… sometimes by taking the place of a member of the household after killing and consuming them in their sleep.

Bakeneko also have the ability to eat anything in their way, regardless of size

or edibility.

Bakeneko are also sometimes said to have the power to enter someone’s dreams.

The evidence is all right there, people. Garfield is a godless youkai and must be exterminated. Fuck you Garfield.

This whole post up until this point was copypasted from a thread on SA, just to let you guys know.