The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• but i cannot sleep

(*falls over in a heap*)

• I really should listen to these guys more
  • I've heard the word "groove" used in reference to music before, yes, but I wasn't aware it was a formal, codified term.  I thought it was just informal slang.
  • sometimes i worry that i'm too spread out in terms of musical tastes

like i just keep flitting around between different things and i don't really gain in-depth knowledge of anything...
  • there's just so much good music out there ;_;
  • edited 2014-05-14 00:11:25

I've heard the word "groove" used in reference to music before, yes, but I wasn't aware it was a formal, codified term.  I thought it was just informal slang.

It's informal, but it's pretty much ubiquitous in relation to most, if not all forms of popular music and probably even in classical music.
  • edited 2014-05-14 00:16:39
    ^^ i think you should just listen to what you like to listen to, enjoy it how you like to enjoy it, and analyze it how you like to analyze it

anyway i listened to As Grace Descends again

i can definitely hear the rhythmic intensity

still feel an ABA structure but i can't really make out what it's supposed to "mean" (i dunno how better to say it)

i guess it kinda feels like a battle theme from a videogame, if i had to make some sense of it

i was a little intrigued at how it involves a good deal of monophony (though nowhere near exclusively)

i'm finding the very beginning and very end of the song more interesting; i think it's because the texture varies there a bit.  otherwise it just sounds like very intense guitar and percussion action; i'm not really making much sense of it (e.g. via recurring rhythmic or melodic motifs or anything) even after a third listen, aside from that overall ABA form.

listening to it a fourth time now.  starting to be able to notice the aba sub-form within the first broader "A" section, and how the second "a" subsection within the first A has more texture (+3rd) than the first "a" subsection, for example.

overall, though it seems to speak a different musical language, if i may put it that way.  as in, i can detect patterns, like i can detect phonemes and inflections in a language i don't understand, but they don't seem to mean anything to me.
  • I've heard the word "groove" used in reference to music before, yes, but I wasn't aware it was a formal, codified term.  I thought it was just informal slang.

It's informal, but it's pretty much ubiquitous in relation to most, if not all forms of popular music and probably even in classical music.
    it's definitely not a commonly-used term when talking about classical music, and i don't have much history of chatting about non-classical music with people.  that probably explains it.

it's definitely not a commonly-used term when talking about classical music, and i don't have much history of chatting about non-classical music with people.  that probably explains it.
    Fair enough. I've heard it used a few times in relation to classical music, but it's definitely not used as much and the times I heard it used were on pieces where there is a strong emphasis on the rhythms used in the piece.
  • ^^ i think you should just listen to what you like to listen to, enjoy it how you like to enjoy it, and analyze it how you like to analyze it

I agree, but i just have this nagging feeling that i should specialize more.

granted, my tastes have narrowed down a lot compared to how they used to be.

like my usual listening habits now generally fall into four categories:

* experimental female singer-songwriters

* black and death metal

* free and avant-garde jazz

* dark, moody, eclectic and ambient sorts of electronic music (*Raime, Demdike Stare, Ben Frost, some early dubstep and some dub techno too*)
  • Yeah, classical tends to put more emphasis on melody, harmony, and texture, with rhythm a means of unifying the whole but rarely a beat anyone would describe as "groovy".

...yeah, that's where I've heard the term.  "Groovy".

I mean, I guess one could one could apply the concept of "groove" being the basic rhythmic cycle to something like, say, Chopin's Bb minor funeral march, but it just...doesn't really fit well.  Ravel's Bolero?  Maybe.  But yeah, I get the concept of a catchy rhythm; it's just that I usually called it "a catchy rhythm".

• groovy classical music :P
  • Gumball Watterson

the G was a C at first, but the censors were Not Fans
  • I think that if Beethoven was alive by now, he would really love funk
    I think he would too
    he wouldn't hear it he is deaf
  • (un)intentional references to anti-creationists were A-ok though

Cartoon Network for ya
  • edited 2014-05-14 00:34:21

^^ i think you should just listen to what you like to listen to, enjoy it how you like to enjoy it, and analyze it how you like to analyze it

I agree, but i just have this nagging feeling that i should specialize more.

granted, my tastes have narrowed down a lot compared to how they used to be.
    In contrast, I feel like I should specialize less.  Especially when it comes to figuring out how the music I really like works.  For example, on what influences does Jake "virt" Kaufman draw when he puts together some of those very chromatically unstable yet so compelling harmonic dissonances in stuff like this?  is it the impressionists? the likes of Stravinsky? Messiaen? jazz? heavy metal? movie music? early videogame music (and where does _that_ come from?)?

and i haven't even mentioned those rhythms...
  • edited 2014-05-14 00:36:31
    as a performer and composer i tend to see tonality and chromaticism as senses of stability or familiarity -- it is meaningful to me, as a listener, when/whether a composition stays with or deviates from them
  • edited 2014-05-14 00:37:51
    that's more an overarching sense/mood/shade-of-meaning
    the more specific message comes in the harmony and melody and textural rendering
  • kill living beings
    this is a message to the prime minister of england and australia. FUCK YOU
  • edited 2014-05-14 01:07:30
    this actually kinda relates to what iw as saying earlier about death metal speaking a different language -- at least that song i was listening to -- As Grace Descends -- doesn't take these features to have the meanings that i am familiar with, and as such, my using the meanings i am familiar with to understand what's going on kinda fails unceremoniously.

which is why i think i ought to expand my "musical language" repertoire.
  • this actually kinda relates to what iw as saying earlier about death metal speaking a different language -- at least that song i was listening to -- As Grace Descends -- doesn't take these features to have the meanings that i am familiar with, and as such, my using the meanings i am familiar with to understand what's going on kinda fails unceremoniously.

which is why i think i ought to expand my "musical language" repertoire.

well, here is a fun little paper talking about a piece of electronic music through the lens of classical music

and the piece being discussed for reference
  • kill living beings
    i just want to see old music ripped apart and put back together wrong

breaker breaker breaker, break it break it break it

emergency warning: operator biometrics inconsistent with stored data. [override not permitted in combat situation]

oncoming mass estimated 1.6×10²³ g. start evasive maneuvers now. could not verify operator

notice: due to emergency situation you have been reestablished as operator in a restricted mode. start evasive maneuvers now. weapons have been locked. current orientation is unstable ~20°. recommended actions: 5.0×10⁻¹ s burn [TO REESTABLISH ORIENTATION] course correct 88° any direction [ENEMY IS ONCOMING] NaN s burn [TO GET OUT] weapons have been locked. rebooting
  • ^^^ Thanks, that was an interesting read.  Also it includes a link to the piece in question too.
  • TAKE US BACK OH TAKE US BACK oh take us...take us back
  • kinzo made a deal with a witch for ten tons of bitcoins
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    It was me. I am the bitcoin witch. :o
  • yeah I think that might be the only explanation for umineko.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

d'Awwwwwwww.

:)
  • edited 2014-05-14 10:02:22
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    I bet yarrun would recognize this:

(2015 self)
    Pipletrost.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Does it feel that you life's become a catastrophe?
    Oh, it has to be for you to grow, boy.
    When you look through the years and see what you could
    have been oh, what might have been,
    if you'd had more time.

So, when the day comes to settle down,
    Who's to blame if you're not around?
    You took the long way home
    You took the long way home...........
    People on twitter think I am schizophrenic.

YNTKT
  • Hey Miko

sekibanki:

If ZUN’s child is a girl i will laugh so hard

because it will be the irrefutable proof that ZUN can only create girls 

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Zun is having a baby?? :o

Also, those animals are really cute!! :o
    hmm. Zun is having a baby. :o
  • So while I was on hold this morning, one of the songs they played for the waiting music was "Tank!", aka the opening to Cowboy Bebop. I lost it when I heard it playing.
  • in my experience waiting music tends to be Handel
  • So while I was on hold this morning, one of the songs they played for the waiting music was "Tank!", aka the opening to Cowboy Bebop. I lost it when I heard it playing.

:D

I had a similar experience once. I went to Elitch Gardens and they had Kingdom Hearts music playing so I just sorta jittered in line and looked like a weirdo.
    I heard the Kingdom Hearts overture in public one time but I forgot where.
    (2015 self)

Naked mole rats?

Nope. That's what rabbits look like an hour after they are born. Blind and hairless. Hares, on the other hand, are born with sight and fur.
    :o
  • Aliroz said:

Naked mole rats?

Nope. That's what rabbits look like an hour after they are born. Blind and hairless. Hares, on the other hand, are born with sight and fur.
    That was my second guess.

We usually don't find the babies until a day or so after the birth. They usually have some fur by then. Still blind though.
  • It's been ages since I've seen one (college does that), but I remember the last time.

They're very tiny, very fragile and very adorable.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    West Virginia and New Jersey both have a Mercer County. They also both have a Princeton, and both Princetons are in their states' respective Mercer Counties.

• In other news, I can't find my fucking wallet. This is really starting to piss me off.

in my experience waiting music tends to be Handel

Yeah, same here. Which is partially why I found it so amusing, Cowboy Bebop fanboyism aside.