The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I am also in the "phone calls freak me out." Admittedly, I like them as an easy way just to talk to someone, but it's really hard for me to do unless I know the person. Like, I can't see their body language and, outside of tone of voice, have no real cues. Kinda gotta a little to reliant on text messages just because I don't quite feel as terrible talking through them as phone calls.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I guess I'm weird; I didn't like making phone calls when I was very young but I haven't had a problem with them in a long time.  It's texting that I really don't like.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • do they ever get out of their apartments

egads i am dying
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The only time I had trouble with texting was during my internship. Some days my boss would text me and say something like "I'm going to be at the other office, so you'll have to let yourself in." But she'd send the text after I was already on the way there and I wouldn't see them until I'd arrived at the office...so do I respond or not? ._.
  • You copy and paste your previous poses into a new file and animate the background rapidly.
  • i do not own a cell phone

so texting is not an issue for me
    I don't text fast, or write fast, and it always freaks me out that I've only just sent a text and then I get another back.  Like how the fuck.

I always deliberate over every word, because I worry that it might be taken the wrong way somehow.  I do the same online, actually, but it feels like I'm under less pressure online.

Although now I actually think about it I'm not sure why that is, since more people will see stuff I post online.  Hm.
  • edited 2012-12-08 21:00:27
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    One of the priests (history has not recorded their names) explains to the Archbishop that Montesecco had bailed out when he learned that the assassination was to take place in a cathedral.  "God will see me there," Count Gian Battista de Montesecco had said.  However, the priests are happy to take his place.  The symbol to strike, they tell the archbishop, is the ringing of the bell to signal the elevation of the Host.  Everyone will be praying.  What better time to strike than when a man is bowed down, with his eyes closed, and suspecting nothing?

I should have bailed, thinks Archbishop Francesco Salviati, like Jacopo di Pazzi did.

Perhaps the priests can read Salviati's thoughts, for they give him the news: Jacopo di Pazzi, the old patriarch of the Pazzi family, has changed his position on the plot.  He had said that he would never join without Papal support, so it seems Pope Sixtus and Jacopo have thrown their lots in against the Medici.  Surprising, considering that Jacopo's Nephew is Lorenzo's brother in law.

The support is stronger than Salviati knows.  There is now an army outside of Florence, on the side of the Conspirators.

The small town of Imola really should have been inherited by Girolamo
    Riario, the Pope's nephew, who was by all rights the true heir.  Lorenzo
    di Medici had bought the town and claimed it as his own, claimed it as a
    part of Florence.  Girolamo was furious.  Girolamo had a nephew, the
    seventeen-year-old Raffaele Riario, who was a Cardinal Pontiff, the Son of Pope's Sixtus's neice.

However, Raffaele Ririo knows nothing of the conspiracy.  He's supposed to be returning to Rome from his duty, and then to his home town of Pisa.  As fate would have it, the innocent Pontiff heard that his uncle Girlamo would be in Florence on Easter sunday, and has decided to visit.  Nobody realizes this.

Meanwhile, Francesco di Pazzi glomps Guiliano di Medici, and pats Medici's sword belt, where a sword should be but isn't.  They are now about a block from the Duomo, and mass will begin in a few minutes.
  • 'Yeah? On whose authority?'
    Vimes swung his crossbow up. 'Mr Burleigh and Mr Stronginthearm,' he said, and grinned.
    The two guards exchanged glances. 'Who the hell are they?' said one.
    There was a moment of silence followed by Vimes saying, out of the corner of his mouth: :'Lance-Constable Vimes?'
    'Yessir?'
    'What make are these crossbows?'
    'Er... Hines Brothers, sir. They're Mark Threes.'
    'Not Burleigh and Stronginthearm?'
    'Never heard of them, sir.'
    Damn. Five years too early, thought Vimes. And it was such a good line, too.
    'Let me put it another way,' he said to the guards. 'Give me any trouble and I will shoot you in the head.' That wasn't a good line, but it did have a certain urgency, and the bonus that it was simple enough even for an Unmentionable to understand.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    Kexruct said:

'Yeah? On whose authority?'
    Vimes swung his crossbow up. 'Mr Burleigh and Mr Stronginthearm,' he said, and grinned.
    There was a moment of silence followed by Vimes saying, out of the corner of his mouth: :'Lance-Constable Vimes?'
    'Yessir?'
    'Let me put it another way,' he said to the guards. 'Give me any trouble and I will shoot you in the head.' That wasn't a good line, but it did have a certain urgency, and the bonus that it was simple enough even for an Unmentionable to understand.

night watch is probably the best of the city watch books, i think
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I liked Jingo and Men at Arms more. I can't decide which of those two is better, though.
    Man, it has been too long since I read a Discworld book.

I remember liking Sourcery a lot.  And Guards! Guards!
  • Kexruct said:

'Yessir?'

's far as I know, there's no cows in night watch. You must be mistaken, sir.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    Yarrun said:

Kexruct said:

'Yessir?'

's far as I know, there's no cows in night watch. You must be mistaken, sir.
    oh yeah, i forgot thud

ok thud was the best one, yeah
  • edited 2012-12-08 21:10:49
    I only have five left, and of the thirty-four I've read thirty were this year.
  • making phone calls, things like that etc. are kinda stuff you end up having to learn to do

i used to get nervous about them but now i pretty much dont. you get used to it

Just watched the Going Postal movie last night.

It was good. captured the tone of the book very well, i think
  • I love reading the Discworld Wikiquote page.
    Trying to write at this hour, why.

And then Duck and the fan DIED.

...not dead like Lottie, but dead like the blinkered mildew on a cloistered honeybumpkin in starfield on a rendered cupmitten.
  • Worried about how this paper's going to turn out.Haven't written something this long in a heck of a long time.

But, I'm still getting to write about theremins. Do you get to write about theremins? No, no you don't.

This is my blessing and my curse.
    I theoretically could write about theremins, if I were actually capable of writing about theremins, and if I could in some way link them to the theme of death in a way that wasn't too transparently bullshit.
    man, i wish i got to write about theremins
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Cream said:

School is something where one's presence is forced and one need not say anything other than what is demanded. It is like being a part of a machine. A phone call is more dynamic.

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Now I'm here
    Yarrun said:

Hey, Corporal, how bad is a Page 11?

They can be good or bad, but mostly they're bad. It's a form of punishment that's meted out for doing something dumb but not so dumb that you have to go stand tall in front of the colonel. Page 11's can fuck up your chances for promotion and other things. 
  • Yarrun said:

Hey, Corporal, how bad is a Page 11?

They can be good or bad, but mostly they're bad. It's a form of punishment that's meted out for doing something dumb but not so dumb that you have to go stand tall in front of the colonel. Page 11's can fuck up your chances for promotion and other things. 
    So, demerits then. Gotcha.
    Yarrun said:

Imiiiii

• TreTre
    edited 2012-12-08 21:46:41
    Phone calls scare me. They are the bane of my social existence.
    What is that from, Yarrun?

I've never liked phone calls, although I can do it if necessary.
    I would frankly rather not measure time, given the option.
    So, demerits then. Gotcha.
    Kinda. It's one of those things that go into your permanent service record, but they're not the sort of thing that fucks your world up. 
  • Fouria G said:

Trying to write at this hour, why.

writing at this hour is when i come up with some of my best things!! write always. it doesnt matter when
    Yarrun said:

But, I'm still getting to write about theremins. Do you get to write about theremins? No, no you don't.

This is my blessing and my curse.

i, too, could write about theremins if i so wished. instead i write about things like people getting shot, hacked off fingers, young children, kindly Indian grandmothers, drumming and kebabs. and thats one 22-line poem
    Yarrun said:

Mitch Albom's The Time Keeper, apparently

Oh.

When I hear "theremin" I think of Led Zep's "Whole Lotta Love" and that is all
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    (theremins)
    I had forgotten all about that.

Now touch the wet hippo.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-12-08 21:51:46
    I feel like I'm awkward on the phone because I don't have a way to gauge the feeling they're trying to convey as well since voices aren't as predictable as, say, faces or text.

I mean, someone could be speaking the same way they normally do but their face shows that they're pissed off or something-- believe me, I do it all the time. On the opposite side of the spectrum, taking the facial aspect of conversation away from the voice renders my own thoughts to be something I have to express by speaking, and that makes me feel like I've got to make every nook and cranny of my thought process known immediately, as opposed to writing, which is a little more clear because I get to analyze my thoughts a little more before letting them out.
    who be that

I demand to know
    I guess I was never that great at reading emotion face to face anyway, so on the phone I feel like I have kind of an excuse.
    Oh, that clears things up
  • She is from a show called Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! and is a meme. That is the extent of my knowledge.
    When I grow up I wanna be a meme