General Video Game Thread

Comments

• BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-04 07:51:21
    Oh, and Prime 2 Minimalist Hypermode: two more guardians and Dark Samus 2 down.

Spider and Power Bomb Guardian are the same as usual, just with less room to fuck up and you might have to pick off an Inglet or two for health during the latter.  Still easy, and positively trivial compared to what I've gone through so far.

Three deaths to the pair of Ingcrushers on the way to Dark Samus.  They take fucktons of damage, attack in a crowded corridor with lots of sticky-out things that can stop you from retreating, their shockwaves get wider and harder to jump over as they expand, both wake up at the same time, and can shockwave you through the walls while you're fighting the other.  Also they lock the doors because fuck you.

13 deaths to Dark Samus 2.  She's...not quite as bad as Boost Guardian, but hell if she doesn't try.  She's just as prone to drifting up and undodgeably ramming you, it kills you in 3 hits, and there's little you can do about it.

Like Boost Guardian, she has a pinball too, and it's even more likely to randomly murder you -- fighting her in Light Aether is really the only thing that makes her more tolerable than him.  The hitbox is taller than you can jump, it kills in two hits, and she can randomly slalom through the supports instead of bouncing off.  During the last phase of the fight, she spams it as much as possible because fuck you.  I figured out during the last couple attempts that a charged shot will actually knock her out of it, but the timing is almost impossible unless you're using charged light -- which is a) useless for any other purpose in the fight so you probably won't have it up when you need it, and b) 50 ammo is still a bitch.  If you do manage to knock her out, she counters with a super missile, which is at least easy to dodge and gives you a big opening.

Weirdly, Dark Samus is super weak to the dark beam -- or rather, the lingering entangler glop when the charged shot bursts.  If you can catch her during a laser sweep, scattershot, or missile salvo, it hits the full duration before she jumps out of it and she loses about 7-8% of her health in one shot.  You basically want to use it during two parts: the very beginning when you're in the crowded elevator to end it as quickly as possible, and the very end after her second dark visor phase to cut down on pinball spam.  If you can knock her out of pinball with it, she the entangler lands while she's charging her super missile .

Everything else is best handled with power beam and super missiles.  The shit she blows up drops missiles, so use them as you can.  Conserve all ammo during the dark visor phases, because her attack pattern is extremely tame during that part and Wiimote free-aim lets you get free hits as she lands from an aerial missile.  When she charges an aerial Boost Ball, goad her into the smaller pillars along the edge for free health and ammo.

The fight sucks, you get no items for winning, and you have to go into Dark Aether right afterward with no safe zone immediately outside the portal.  I almost died after winning, because I was at 13 health and 2 of the 3 ingworms just outside the portal dropped nothing.  Fuck this boss.

Welp.  Three left that I'm worried about.  Which is like...everything except Caretaker.

Total deaths: 64
  • Splatoon won Best Shooter.

As it should be.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    it's not possible to progress to the second dungeon in Anodyne without murdering the fisherman, is it?
  • Why do I mentally group Bastion, Antichamber, and Transistor?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    First and latter are obvious, second I just don't fucking know.
  • Tachyon said:

it's not possible to progress to the second dungeon in Anodyne without murdering the fisherman, is it?

it is not
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    OK, now i feel less guilty

i did it by accident the first time, then went back on my save and tried to find another way forward, couldn't find one, pushed him in again, thought maybe he wouldn't be actually dead and hoped i'd be able to somehow rescue him, couldn't find a way, felt bad
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

fair enough.

Man, remember the good ol' days when, like, four people could make a game in six months or something

They still can!

It's just that some games require more manpower than that, and that's fine.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    It's kinda surreal for a game released in 2015 to require you to read the manual.
  • fair enough.

Man, remember the good ol' days when, like, four people could make a game in six months or something

They still can!

It's just that some games require more manpower than that, and that's fine.
    Yeah, $3.3 million doesn't seem so out of the question when Double Fine's last crowdfunded thing had extensive voicework by Elijah Wood.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    it's always about paying people, I guess.

jeez, people wanting to be PAID for their work
  • Honestly I'd rather have a game cost $3.3 million paid directly to Double Fine, than the same game cost $40 million and almost all of it going to an abusive publisher.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-05 03:27:12
    Caretaker down.  Got careless and died once to him and once to 2x Hunter Ing just outside the fight, but nothing special.

12 deaths to Quadraxis so far, and I expect many, many more.  He's laughably easy on an ordinary run with 10-12 energy tanks because he drops ultra energy like candy.  But he's nearly impossible on a 99-health Hypermode run because all of his attacks hit you for 50+ damage, most of them home very tightly, and his leg joints take enough damage that you can't just blitz them down before they go invulnerable.  You have to start bombing his legs for health.  If he decides to stomp with the one you just went for, you can't unball fast enough to avoid the shockwave.

I get the feeling he'll get easier once I push him past the first phase, because then I can just LOS his head with his own body.  But I'm not certain how to handle his initial stuff.

Total deaths: 78
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

this embed is in the right thread jsyk

This is weird and alarming yet amusing.
  • Yume Nikki fandom ain't feelin too well these days.
    I should try Yume Nikki out after Undertale.
  • Sredni

you would adore Yume Nikki.

And unlike Undertale, it's freeware. You should get it like, now. I can hook you up with a download.

Albeit I am not sure RPGMaker games are Mac-compatible now that I think of it.
    I'll figure it out.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    .flow crashes on me with an error right after I start it and because I don't have Japanese enabled it's all question marks
  • there's an english patch for dotFlow but I don't know if it's up to date for the surprise update last year
  • Jane said:

Sredni

you would adore Yume Nikki.

And unlike Undertale, it's freeware. You should get it like, now. I can hook you up with a download.

Albeit I am not sure RPGMaker games are Mac-compatible now that I think of it.

• the only thing that's maybe more Sredni is Yume 2kki, which is just Yume Nikki but moreso.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Yume Nikki is, at this moment, the most Sredni videogame that Sredni could play

The most Sredni game that Sredni CAN'T play is the alternate universe version of Rule of Rose where the gameplay isn't a chore.
    I actually found a way to play YN on Mac myself a while back.

I can talk Sredni through that when he's ready to play it.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!

There's also the LSD Dream Emulator, but I feel that's more of a sunn wolf sort of thing

I love LSD but I've never gotten to the ending

• My dreams exceed my real life
    We'll always have that soundtrack though

• I actually found a way to play YN on Mac myself a while back.

do it
    Zeether said:

There's also the LSD Dream Emulator, but I feel that's more of a sunn wolf sort of thing

not worth the investment honestly
    Jane said:

I actually found a way to play YN on Mac myself a while back.

do it
    Zeether said:

not worth the investment honestly
    I've already played YN.

I liked it, but didn't love it. I fully intend on giving it another shot at some point, though.
  • Stayed up till like 4 am grinding my Inkling up to Pizza Queen.

She also got some excellent boots from the store, but that didn't really have anything to do with Splatfest.
  • Now I'm wondering, if Yume Nikki is a Sredni game, what's a GMH game?
  • Chrono Trigger twice in a row, then Final Fantasy IV?
  • Haven said:

Chrono Trigger twice in a row, then Final Fantasy IV?

Haven wins the thread; entire Magic tourney now resembles cute kittens.
    I agree that Sredni should play Yume Nikki, the sooner the better.

As for me, I gave in and started Undertale. My only hope is that eventually I can kill that motherfucker Flowey
    Yay!
  • Imipolex's first exposure to Tnderuale
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-06 08:50:22
    the game will not recognize the "up" on my controller, but otherwise it has been enjoyable
  • So, in my Brandenburg to Prussia EU4 game, I've gone from never having a personal union to having two in one game, one of them being fucking France (aka one of the most OP nations to play as.) This is an addition to having an alliance with Austria and Hungry. This game, man.
  • edited 2015-12-06 09:26:34
    (copied from my post at IJBM)

So I managed to get my hands on a copy of a game called Rockmen R.  It's a Mega Man fangame starring Roll as the main character.  It's probably most famous for that, and the fact that Capcom C&D'd it.

Well, first of all, my system region isn't configured to use it right so the text appears as gibberish.  Second, I have to rebind the keys every time I start the game, since the default is Z = shoot, X = jump, C = menu, which basically means jump on my left index and shoot on my left middle while I normally do jump on my left middle and shoot on my left index.  Navigating menus is a bit weird, and that includes the controls menu and the pause menu (you don't just highlight the weapon then unpause; you have to highlight it, select it, then unpause).

But most importantly of all, this game's difficulty is annoying.  It's not really fair difficulty as much as it is annoying difficulty.  There is no difficulty curve -- the game just throws unintuitive traps at you, so it's basically know the stage, or die learning it, over and over again.  Furthermore, your regular shot is really small, and your character stands too tall, so you can't even hit mettools with your reguar shot -- charge shot only.

The action has custom and more detailed spritework than a regular Mega Man game, but all that actually means is that the designer forgot to make proper cues like bubble bats opening their wings rather than simply going from hanging to flying instantaneously.

The game looks nice.  It also seems to have decent music.  And better sound effects than Mega Man 7's at least.  But, honestly, I don't really want to play this.  It's a tedious chore to get through the levels.

(Is this the real reason why Capcom C&D'd it?  Because it's just...well, bad, rather than because it was infringing?)
  • The female lead in Lord of Magna is named Charlotte.

Clearly this means that the male lead should be named Jonathan.
  • Well, just stayed up until 2:30 AM to play South Park: Stick of Truth. No regrets. c:

I am enjoying it quite a bit, probably I like the system of timing attacks and blocks (See: Stuff like Paper Mario)... and probably because I have a juvenile sense of humor. :T
  • edited 2015-12-07 18:42:34
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    All right all right, you odd, wonderful gamers.