General Video Game Thread

Comments

• edited 2015-09-16 16:22:32
    I plan to get it at some point, but I'm not in a rush.

no spoilerinos por favor
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-09-16 17:51:18
    nah man, II wasn't bad, I just wanted a little more pizzazz in the dungeons department.
    You are a far more patient person than I.  I found them to be hideously unbalanced shit with oversized featureless dungeons.

1 was the worst.  They had some good ideas like pitfalls and hidden doors and stuff, but there was no indication of these things.  So you had to ram your face against every single section of wall, getting attacked all the way by monsters that could waste 1/4 of your healing items in a single attack, and you were pretty much lost if you fell through a pit because the maps didn't exactly line up in a Euclidean fashion.  It very much feels like it was thrown together by devs who thought it would be cool and all had the maps open in the desktop and debug invincibility on, but never ran it past actual non-dev players.

Don't even get me started on finding A Robot Named Hapsby, because fuck that entire questline.  Or having to drill every wall segment in the Dezoris overworld.

Also I'm watching slowbeef's Metroid Prime LP, and I can't help but think it would go much, much faster if he didn't have what must be a lethal allergy to reading.  I'm just a few videos in and I've already lost count of how many times he's looked directly at the thing he needs to interact with for several seconds, maybe shoots it once, then turns around when nothing happens and looks at literally the entire rest of the room for 10 minutes.  Or scanned the thing he needs to scan, but ADHD's out and closes the scan after the first line, immediately before the second line would have told him "you need to bomb this, dumbass".
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    well, really, not gonna lie, I looked up maps of the dungeons to make them go faster.

unfortunate, since I did like the storyline and music and stuff.
  • I plan to get it at some point, but I'm not in a rush.

no spoilerinos por favor

You will be pleased by the quantity and quality of skeletons
  • why did nobody mention skeletons sooner??? fucking sold
  • Kojima is spinning in his grave.

That comment killed him, and the second they put him in the coffin he started doing 90 rpm.

The eulogies were probably beautiful, but no one could hear them over the whirring of the deceased.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Haven said:

Kojima is spinning in his grave.

That comment killed him, and the second they put him in the coffin he started doing 90 rpm.

The eulogies were probably beautiful, but no one could hear them over the whirring of the deceased.

this is a great post btw
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-09-17 07:38:51
    I'm so torn about this LP.  The commentary is hilarious as usual, but Slowbeef is so bad at this game.  Like, it reminds me of when he was spearheading the whole "don't LP IWBTG and Kaizo and definitely don't do it blind because nobody wants to see you fail for an hour".  Which is completely correct.  But then he picks a game that's actually really easy and fails even worse, and forgets to edit out the long stretches of dicking around staring at walls and repeatedly investigating literally every single object in the room except the one he needs to.

He spent like 20 minutes getting completely lost on the first screen of Phendrana because I guess he finds the abstract concept of a scan visor primally terrifying or something.  And maxed his gamma early on, then it bit him in the ass on Thardus.
    are there any really good LPs of Metroid Prime, I wonder?
  • The LP has a sequence break run by Vikas, who also showed up briefly on the video to bail Slowbeef out of stuff.  There are also dead links to pokecapn's run, which looked like a speedrun.

Thing is, off the top of my head I can't think of a reasonably good run of the game.  Like, I've seen amazing sequence breaks, and I've seen bad runs, but I can't really remember a good example of playing through the game in the intended manner with a level of skill plausibly attainable by the average player.
    how disappoint.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Slowbeef is really good at certain parts of games, but he has no ability to observe his surroundings at all.
  • Speaking g of LPers who are bad at games

Arin spent a lot of his time in the Sonic Adventure playthrough talking about how often he is derided and it was honestly really sad.

He's not even /that/ bad at games. He just adheres to a particular philosophy of design a bit too rigidly.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.

I think the only thing I recognize in that Persona 5 trailer is Morgana’s persona, which is probably Zorro. There’s a pirate, some french girl aristocrat, and presumably a Japanese burglar of some kind. Thieves and crooks.

They also seem to be taking the “persona” element literally, i.e: masks.
    don't hit your Q-slot button
    I'm so torn about this LP.  The commentary is hilarious as usual, but Slowbeef is so bad at this game.  Like, it reminds me of when he was spearheading the whole "don't LP IWBTG and Kaizo and definitely don't do it blind because nobody wants to see you fail for an hour".  
    oh some people absolutely do. There is no other reason to watch Dark Souls lets plays.
    Which is completely correct.  But then he picks a game that's actually really easy and fails even worse, and forgets to edit out the long stretches of dicking around staring at walls and repeatedly investigating literally every single object in the room except the one he needs to.

He spent like 20 minutes getting completely lost on the first screen of Phendrana because I guess he finds the abstract concept of a scan visor primally terrifying or something.  And maxed his gamma early on, then it bit him in the ass on Thardus.
    nice
  • I played a lot of Marathon Rubicon and Halo 3 yesterday.

Good games both though for very different reasons.

Well, in Rubicon at least the infuriating level construction has me pulling my hair out, but, other than that it's neat. Haller is an interesting--let's face it--OC.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    If glasses kid's persona is Arsene, and Morgana the cat's is Zorro, then the red-suited girl's persona might be Margaurite St. Just, the Scarlet Pimpernel, and the skull kid's persona could be Doctor Syn, the Scarecrow of Romney Marsh.

Secret identities.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    Mushihimesama is coming to Steam and I'm hyped
  • If that's the case, I hope you can fuse Zorro and Jack Frost to get Batman.
    Why Jack Frost?
  • Haven said:

Kojima is spinning in his grave.

The SDF proceeded to use this new perpetual motion machine to build more weapons of war
  • For a while their newest effort made me feel exactly the opposite.

(Not anymore, though. #basedtakenking)
  • MachSpeed said:

Why Jack Frost?

He was a pseudonym for Joe Chill all along.

• Tre said:

For a while their newest effort made me feel exactly the opposite.

(Not anymore, though. #basedtakenking)
    Rubicon is a fan-game.

and Destiny, while it seems fine, is not really Bungie-as-i-know-it, as far as I can tell.
  • oh some people absolutely do. There is no other reason to watch Dark Souls lets plays.

Well yeah, but Fail Plays are very difficult to do in a way that isn't incredibly dull.  It takes a lot of editing to remove the really repetitious failures and ensure some kind of minimum progress velocity.

Like, I watched a Kaizo LP a while back where the guy played blind and refused to use savestates -- but surprisingly it was really fun to watch.  When he died, he'd edit out getting back to where he was, and would only include deaths on the way if they were particularly funny.  Once he got to the end of the level and died on the last trap, there would be a rapid-fire death reel.  Then the final, successful run.

Odradek said:

Slowbeef is really good at certain parts of games, but he has no ability to observe his surroundings at all.

Yeah that's, uh, kiiiind of an important thing in Prime.
    i can sympathize, i spent a fair bit of Prime wondering what i was supposed to do next
    There is a bit in Bloodborne where a giant six armed insect squid monster materializes on the side of a cathedral, and is in plain view of the camera, and he didn't see it until he edited the video
    lol
  • edited 2015-09-17 17:19:02

he should probably just stick to playing nightmare on elm street fangames made on ms paint
    That was Lowtax
  • edited 2015-09-17 17:20:13

oh, wrong SA guy
    Tachyon said:

i can sympathize, i spent a fair bit of Prime wondering what i was supposed to do next

Proof
    ok i am not *quite* that unobservant
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-09-17 17:37:05
    I got lost in Prime too.  But I wouldn't have included all of it in a video.

Like, I was really dumb and spent 15 minutes doing a trick jump off a pile of boxes to shoot between the Control Tower wall forcefields for the artifact because I didn't see the cracked ice wall that would give me an easy one-second shot.  It was funny when I found it immediately after getting the artifact the wrong way, but nobody wants to see me making the same jump over and over again for a quarter of an hour.
    yeah see, this is one reason i don't do let's plays

that and generally not playing games enough these days to justify it, let alone on PC
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I can't really go off on people for doing dumb stuff in games, considering I've done dumb stuff like forgetting I had a portal gun in Portal before.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Zeether said:

Mushihimesama is coming to Steam and I'm hyped

Me too.

• BeeBee
    edited 2015-09-17 20:43:36

I can't really go off on people for doing dumb stuff in games, considering I've done dumb stuff like forgetting I had a portal gun in Portal before.

Yeah, it's not the dumb stuff that bugs me. That stuff can be hilarious.  It's leaving in all 20 minutes of it until the penny drops.
  • what is the point of a lets play if not to show how a person plays a game in its entirety?

sometimes being a colossal moron is part of the experience. I find it funny personally.
  • I find it funny for a couple minutes.  I'm not saying cut out all the moron stuff.  Just don't let it drag on so long it overstays its welcome.

A quarter to half an hour of fucking about one room staring at the same two objects over and over is a bit much.
  • ah

well i am not familiar with that level of incompetence admittedly
  • Seriously considering giving the Marathon series the ol' college try, as they're free and they're Bungie, and I'm starting to feel like going through the studio's backlog of titles may not be a bad idea now that I have an appreciation for their work.
  • dude

Marathon is very good

Marathon Durandal is not quite as good but still pretty darn good

Marathon Infinity is fantastic

that is my nonprofessional opinion
  • edited 2015-09-18 07:25:02
    Video game discourse us so fucking frustrating because invariably every issue I could possibly have will be met with a person telling me I'm playing the game wrong.

Like, chill, I'm not gonna take your games away from you because I don't like certain elements of them. But, fuck, when a singular mechanic prevents me from enjoying/finishing a game, it kinda feels like it's been taken from *me.* No other medium actively bars engagement the way games do.

Do not respond to this with "git gud." Sometimes it's funny but this is something important to me.
  • the thing is, you are seeing it as a failure of the game to not engage you, when the game does not have that obligation
  • Counterpoint: Of course no game has any obligation to be engaging. But in order to be engaging, a work must, you know, engage. And actively barring participation is usually a bad thing unless inaccessibility is the point, and games are not at a point where they're really playing with concepts like that yet.
  • now, if the game does not effectively engage you, it is entirely understandable to become dissatisfied with the game, and express your dissatisfaction, but your satisfaction isn't paramount to the game in and of itself

like, i am mind-alteringly atrocious at all things that require precision and/or hand eye coordination, including video games. beating the first world of super mario brothers 3 was very difficult for me, and forget like anything past that. so, most video games you care to name completely fail to engage me, because i simply cannot play them

is this a failing of them? of course not, it is a failing of myself. These works are simply not for me, and that is ok. not everything needs to be for me.