A Music Discussion Heap of The Heapers' Hangout Forum [NO EMBEDS]

Comments

• naney said:

he doesnt

retrowave/synthwave/whatever are those 80s pastiche people like lazerhawk or preturbator or com truise and that has been going on since like 2011-2010 i think?

todd terje is a nu-disco guy who has been doing his nu-disco thing since like 2004

Com Truise is awesome.
  • damn inconvinient page breaks

A production duo called Bridge Tracks & Mackay posted their solo debut to /r/HHH, it's not getting a lot of attention but it's like, criminally chill, and I recommend it.

• rap albums / mixtapes that came out so far this year that I liked:

• Alchemist - Retarded Alligator Beats
    • A$AP Rocky - At.Long.Last.A$AP
    • Beatking - Houston, 3 AM
    • Bridge Tracks & Mackay - The Catch Out vol. 1
    • Cannibal Ox - Blade of the Ronin
    • Camp Lo - Ragtime Hightimes
    • Clear Soul Forces - Fab Five
    • Curren$y - Pilot Talk III
    • Curren$y - Cathedral EP
    • Czarface - Every Hero Needs a Villain
    • Dr. Dre - Compton
    • Earl Sweatshirt - I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside
    • Ghostface Killah & Badbadnotgood - Sour Soul
    • Gunplay - Living Legend
    • Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
    • Lil Wayne - The Free Weezy Album
    • L'Orange & Jeremiah Jae - The Night Took Us In Like Family
    • Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth
    • Maxo Kream - maxo187
    • Migos - Young Rich Nation
    • Nickolas Thee Ruin - Distant Implosions (RIP)
    • Raekwon - Fly International Luxurious Art
    • Tyler The Creator - Cherry Bomb
    • Vince Staples - Summertime '06
    to be updated as I think of more

• edited 2015-09-05 03:40:39

tbh i havent listened to com truise that much, from what ive heard he is a lot more distinct (and chill) than the other artists i was thinking of, but i maybe lumped him in unfairly cuz he's definitely going for the 80s thing a lot
  • he's sort of in his own lane

I like what I've heard by him.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I think Com Truise is chillwave, actually.

I dig what I've heard of chillwave.
  • Chillwave is great but it was killed by tastemakers because it wasn't profitable enough.

True story.
  • I kid of course but it does often seem like there's in the opinion of many some unspoken line that divides electronic, nostalgia-fueled music into 'good' and 'bad' 

idk
  • Madlib's The Brick costs $170.00 and they don't ship it.

fuck.
  • Oh and it's sold out.

I mostly would want Flight To Brazil, but that also seems to be sold out.
  • Anyway, on another note

does anyone know any place where I could download like....mixtapes? Playlists? I don't know how to put this.

Curated mp3 collections unified by some genre or theme. I don't particularly care what genre or theme.
  • Anyway, on another note

does anyone know any place where I could download like....mixtapes? Playlists? I don't know how to put this.

Curated mp3 collections unified by some genre or theme. I don't particularly care what genre or theme.

• edited 2015-09-07 02:36:48
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    John Zorn's discography is terrifying in its vastness, but I grabbed some of his Masada albums and they're very nice.

Also, Amon: Book of Angels, Vol 24. Klezmerson's take on Zorn is kick-ass.

@Queen Poison: I don't know about d/l-ing other people's playlists, but I have a few I could share, if you're interested.
  • also I want to listen to more jazz but I don't know how to pinpoint what I like in a jazz record.

Like sometimes I like them and sometimes I'm more iffy on them.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Alright, I'm uploading them to my dropbox right now.
    In terms of jazz, you'd probably like Herbie Hancock's Head Hunters if you haven't already listened to it.

Future Shock is another one you might like.

also I want to listen to more jazz but I don't know how to pinpoint what I like in a jazz record.

Like sometimes I like them and sometimes I'm more iffy on them.
    Can you give some specifics on which jazz recordings you've liked and disliked?
  • I really like Smokin' At The Half Note by Wes Montgomery.
    His album with Milt Jackson, Bags Meets Wes, is sublime.

Also, Jimmy Smith's The Boss kind of gives me similar vibes to Smokin' at the Half Note. Even though Jimmy plays the organ.
  • MetaFour said:

John Zorn's discography is terrifying in its vastness, but I grabbed some of his Masada albums and they're very nice.

Also, Amon: Book of Angels, Vol 24. Klezmerson's take on Zorn is kick-ass.

@Queen Poison: I don't know about d/l-ing other people's playlists, but I have a few I could share, if you're interested.
    You know, The Masada albums are one piece of Zorn's discography that I have not devoted nearly enough time to. I really should get around to listening to that stuff.  Speaking of Zorn, I gave The Book of Heads another listen to and it's a great album. Even better than I remember it being.
    Alright, here are those playlists, oldest to most recent. Some of these are "soundtracks" to various things, but I always try to make my soundtrack playlists sound interesting even apart from their source material.

The Morning After the World's Last Night: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24985628/tmatwln copy.zip I made this in response to the prompt "The last human on Earth sifts through the ruins of civilization and wonders where it all went wrong."

PostmOdyssey Volume 2: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24985628/pomo2 copy.zip I made this in response to the prompt "A postmodern interpretation of The Odyssey."

Year Eight, Queslett North, Second Semesterhttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24985628/8QNS2-v2 copy.zip
    A soundtrack for the webcomic Gunnerkrigg Court. Each playlist corresponds to one volume from the print edition.

Robots in Love: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24985628/Robots in Love copy.zip A soundtrack for a Homestuck fanfic that I started writing and never finished. Two dead robots meet in the afterlife, work through some psychological issues, and fall in love. The sort of love that destroys planets and ignites stars.

King Sombrero's Mariachi Mixer: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24985628/King-Sombrero.zip ;Not actually a mariachi collection (sorry); that's just an inside joke. I made this on my birthday in 2013, as a sampler of what I had been listening to that whole year.
    Super Black Market Clash is like if ¡Sandinista! was easier to listen to in one sitting and had a clear progression.
    That's pretty ironic, considering Super Black Market Clash is a collection of random singles, whereas ¡Sandinista! was an original album.
    The weirdest tracks are the ones from before The Clash were punk rock. Like "1-2 Crush on You", an honest-to-goodness Silly Love Song.

In other news, thank you, nameless, for introducing me to Jon Hassell. Possible Musics is great stuff.

Reading the liner notes, I learned something very interesting. Hassell, Brian Eno, and David Byrne were all hanging out together at this time. Hassell and Eno finished mastering Possible Worlds mere days before Eno and Byrne started on what would eventually become My Life in the Bush of Ghosts. In fact, the initial plan was for Hassell to contribute as well. My Life... was initially conceived as a collaboration between all three of them

Unfortunately, Hassell dropped out because he wasn't interested in the sample-based approach that Eno and Byrne had committed to. "I liked the idea of something that was not just putting a layer cake of 'here is the Talking Heads' and 'here is Oum Kalsoum'. I was in a more... I was a composer, okay?"
  • MetaFour said:

The weirdest tracks are the ones from before The Clash were punk rock. Like "1-2 Crush on You", an honest-to-goodness Silly Love Song.

In other news, thank you, nameless, for introducing me to Jon Hassell. Possible Musics is great stuff.

Reading the liner notes, I learned something very interesting. Hassell, Brian Eno, and David Byrne were all hanging out together at this time. Hassell and Eno finished mastering Possible Worlds mere days before Eno and Byrne started on what would eventually become My Life in the Bush of Ghosts. In fact, the initial plan was for Hassell to contribute as well. My Life... was initially conceived as a collaboration between all three of them

Unfortunately, Hassell dropped out because he wasn't interested in the sample-based approach that Eno and Byrne had committed to. "I liked the idea of something that was not just putting a layer cake of 'here is the Talking Heads' and 'here is Oum Kalsoum'. I was in a more... I was a composer, okay?"
    I'm glad you enjoyed it Meta. It's definitely one of those albums that only come around once in a blue moon. And I did not know that about My Life in the Bush of Ghosts. That's pretty interesting.
  • @naney Lil Ugly Mane put out a tape with a dude named Nickelus F recently

he doesn't rap on it afaik but he does the beats
  • I like this but I feel weird liking music by one of Drake's primary influences, even if the resemblence is slight.
  • apparently the new Prince album is really good

this may cause me to actually get into Prince, i have been putting that of on account of the fact that his discography is massive and there is nothing on youtube to try things out
    Controversy, 1999, or Purple Rain should all make for decent introductions.

I can throw up one of these albums on Drive if you're interested by what you hear of the new album.
  • of those three what would you say is the best if one is a fan of synthpop or hip-hop

ftr I'd like to hear these as well
    Purple Rain should do the trick.
  • prince is really good and purple rain is reallyt good
    •     Alchemist - Retarded Alligator Beats
    •     A$AP Rocky - At.Long.Last.A$AP
    •     Beatking - Houston, 3 AM
    •     Bridge Tracks & Mackay - The Catch Out vol. 1
    •     Cannibal Ox - Blade of the Ronin
    •     Camp Lo - Ragtime Hightimes
    •     Clear Soul Forces - Fab Five
    •     Curren$y - Pilot Talk III
    •     Curren$y - Cathedral EP
    •     Czarface - Every Hero Needs a Villain
    •     Dr. Dre - Compton
    •     Earl Sweatshirt - I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside
    •     Ghostface Killah & Badbadnotgood - Sour Soul
    •     Gunplay - Living Legend
    •     Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
    •     Knxwledge - Hud.Dreems
    •     Lil Wayne - The Free Weezy Album
    •     L'Orange & Jeremiah Jae - The Night Took Us In Like Family
    •     Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth
    •     Lupe Fiasco - Pharoah Height EP
    •     Maxo Kream - maxo187
    •     Migos - Young Rich Nation
    •     Nickolas Thee Ruin - Distant Implosions
    •     Raekwon - Fly International Luxurious Art
    •     Tyler The Creator - Cherry Bomb
    •     Vince Staples - Summertime '06

• really?

venetian snares hates the music industry?

noooo
  • yeah i got as far as the first paragraph

"all of my fans are idiots" is not a thing i tolerate from musicians.
  • The approach these people have to listening to something and critiquing it is the point I’m trying to make, in those reviews you have people listening to a piece of music for what they want rather than what it represents. They’re listening for how it can be compatible with their lives, their idea of how something should be instead of hearing what it is. Everything is for you, huh? Everything must be designed and delivered specifically for you. Music must adhere to your idea of what is should be, not the artist right?

It’s funny, it super mirrors what we did for the promo of that new record. We got a bunch of 78-year-olds to listen to it and just wrote down what they said. And those old people actually approached it in a much purer way. I don’t know. I think it’s a result of, like, people shopping for their opinions instead of formulating them on their own. You’ll think about picking a movie and then you look on IMDB and it’s a five. Maybe half the people gave it a 10, the other half a 1. So maybe you won’t bother. But if you watch it you might not agree with that rating. It’s weird. This whole approach has sunk into so many aspects of life. The way we rate things just skews how they’re perceived. Maybe I shouldn’t watch this film because it’s a five.
  • DAE

FANS ARE UNGRATEFUL BASTARDS

THE INTERNET....IS BAD?

CRITICS....ARE WRONG?

AND OTHER BRAVE OPINIONS....

PRESENTED BY VENETIAN SNARES
  • maybe the key to success is just being mad about banal bullshit more often
  • i think venetian snares, like most people, is a guy who is right about some things and also wrong about some things.
  • I would put this in the latter box.

Which I'm sure he'd object to given his apparent hate-on for labeling.
  • anyways he released a new album yesterday, free as a thank you to the fans for everyone helping him out with whatever financial predicament he was in
    i think venetian snares, like most people, is a guy who is right about some things and also wrong about some things.
    GASP
  • edited 2015-09-10 09:07:04
    I think most big fans of music are on some level trying to construct a personal brand with it.

I just finished listening to Miley Cyrus's new album. Much of it is a collaboration with The Flaming Lips, so that interested me enough to give it a chance.

It's actually pretty decent, if very much overlong.

I'd like to add that I actually think Miley's voice sounds better without the echo that the Lips put on it on their tracks.

I couldn't get past the lyrics, despite her skill as a singer.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Personal brand?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Personal brand?